• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 reviewed by OXM (so basically it's better than everything)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just change the thread title to "so it's roughly equivalent to several other games recently released"

all the tens really are getting tiring.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
beelzebozo said:
just change the thread title to "so it's roughly equivalent to several other games recently released"

Yeah. Reviewers are way too nice. And what's the deal with people crying about The Orange Box not getting a full 10/10, "only" a 9.5? What the fuck? What's wrong with you people?

itsinmyveins

alistairw said:
Oh, and to be fair, it's not a 10/10 - OXM rate games out of 11. So it's 10/11.

Hell, I haven't played one single 10/10 game this year, so..

But CoD4 definitely seems to be a 9/10, judging from the beta. Hopefully the singleplayer is just as fun, because the multi kicked pretty much most of the games asses -- including Halo 3's.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
dfyb said:
sensationalism

yeah, review scores are becoming less and less relavent.

Both Halo 3 and Bioshock should of gotten 9s instead of 10s in my opinion. I think a lot of pre-hype amongst the press garnered these titles those scores.

But whatever, COD4 looks to be awesome so as long as the scores are high I'm happy.

itsinmyveins

I'm going for COD4 to X360. But that's mainly because my PC is crap and the fact that I prefer playing on a console.

Edwood

All the reviews forgot about the lag and bullshit bullet hit detection. Not to mention the fake sounding guns, lack of sound quality.

But I'm willing to forgive for the buttery smooth 60 fps.

And the knife melee, oh how I love thee....

Hammer24

Banned
Edwood said:
All the reviews forgot about the lag and bullshit bullet hit detection. Not to mention the fake sounding guns, lack of sound quality.

I never experienced any lag in the beta. Not once.
And you probably never shot a gun in your life - the sounds are so lifelike its frightening at times.

saelz8

guidop said:
anyone know what the specs for COD4 PC are?
Recommended Specs
CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended
RAM: 1GB for XP; 2GB for Vista is recommended
Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

Required (min) Specs
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
Video card (generic): NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better

The PC SP demo comes out today at 9AM PST, so you'll be able to try it out! It'll be - Here

guidop

Quellex said:
Recommended Specs
CPU: 2.4 GHz dual core or better is recommended
RAM: 1GB for XP; 2GB for Vista is recommended
Video card: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better

Required (min) Specs
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
Video card (generic): NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better

The PC SP demo comes out today at 9AM PST, so you'll be able to try it out! It'll be - Here

Thank you

Building a new PC very soon and this was one of the games i really wanted to play on it.

Thought the recommended specs would have been higher though

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

+ Gripping, large-scale heists
+ Genuinely absorbing story (oh yeah!)
Throw in that serious foreboding music that was in 1UP's preview a while back...

Hopefully it'll suffice as a rough Heat (the game).

Edwood

Hammer24 said:
I never experienced any lag in the beta. Not once.
And you probably never shot a gun in your life - the sounds are so lifelike its frightening at times.

I call bullshit, you never even played the Beta then.

You obviously never shot a real gun in your life, nor even checked out a video on YouTube of a real gun being fired. The sounds are so lifelike? Yeah. Right. Gunshots are pretty much the same shot indoors, outdoors, not the correct pitch at distances, a.k.a doppler effect. Even people that have never shot a gun in their life can tell the difference from even a YouTube video of real guns and many of those in the game. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you're tone deaf.

Hammer24

Banned
Edwood said:
I call bullshit, you never even played the Beta then.

You obviously never shot a real gun in your life, nor even checked out a video on YouTube of a real gun being fired. The sounds are so lifelike? Yeah. Right. Gunshots are pretty much the same shot indoors, outdoors, not the correct pitch at distances, a.k.a doppler effect. Even people that have never shot a gun in their life can tell the difference from even a YouTube video of real guns and many of those in the game. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you're tone deaf.

I´ve played enough beta games with GAFers here.
And I did quite a couple of years in the army. And I heard guns being shot not only on a shooting range too. Quit your bs whining.
The only thing I give you, is that the weapons sound is not varying enough for different environments.
You really believe you could tell a gun sound from a youtube video? Thats ridiculous.

Edwood

Hammer24 said:
I´ve played enough beta games with GAFers here.
And I did quite a couple of years in the army. And I heard guns being shot not only on a shooting range too. Quit your bs whining.
The only thing I give you, is that the weapons sound is not varying enough for different environments.
You really believe you could tell a gun sound from a youtube video? Thats ridiculous.

Yeah, sure whatever, for all I know you're a 12 year old or a 35 year old living in your parent's basement.

Gun shots are too monotonous too. It's like they sampled a single gun shot and use it on repeat.

Still, no lag? You fucking serious? Did you not watch a single kill cam shot after you got killed?

Hammer24

Banned
Edwood said:
Still, no lag? You fucking serious? Did you not watch a single kill cam shot after you got killed?

I got either dropped out totally from match due to bad connection, or had a silky smooth experience with no lag at all. The first thing happened about 5% of the time.

Edwood

Hammer24 said:
I got either dropped out totally from match due to bad connection, or had a silky smooth experience with no lag at all. The first thing happened about 5% of the time.

If you are referring to the space time warping thing, connection error, then drop out, yeah, that's about right.

But the lag I'm talking about is where you empty a whole mag into a person, but they don't die, and they kill you. You watch the kill cam replay and notice that they starting shooting before you did, even though you saw yourself shooting first. That happens in a ridiculous number of times. Makes Gears of War's net code look awesome at times.

Edwood

RubberJohnny said:
Despite the universal critical praise and word of mouth this title is getting, I still claim it's the Emporers' New Clothes.

I wouldn't necessarily call it the GOTY quite yet (really depends on how the single player experience is, given that there isn't online co-op, it pretty much loses to Halo 3 already). But I give COD4 major brownie points due to the fact that it looks fantastic AND has solid 60 fps in BOTH single and multiplayer. No small feat.

Hammer24

Banned
Edwood said:
But the lag I'm talking about is where you empty a whole mag into a person, but they don't die, and they kill you. You watch the kill cam replay and notice that they starting shooting before you did, even though you saw yourself shooting first.

Then I shall consider myself lucky, had never something like this happening to me.

Edwood

Hammer24 said:
Then I shall consider myself lucky, had never something like this happening to me.

IW apparently didn't make the matchmaking strict at all since the number of Beta testers makes for a fairly low player count, so it would match people from across the globe, often with shitty ping rates. I got in on the 2nd wave of beta tokens (right after the first major crashing of their website.) The lag got pretty bad when the Beta was opened outside of the USA.

IW said that the matchmaking should be improved since it will actually check for ping/connection rates in the final version of the game.

Well, I certainly hope it is fixed in the final version...

Kabouter

Surprisingly high for Kane & Lynch.
I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised given the quality of IO's previous games, but the negative impressions from others had me worried for a while.

Victrix

*beard*
RubberJohnny said:
Despite the universal critical praise and word of mouth this title is getting, I still claim it's the Emporers' New Clothes.

I hate, hate, _hate_ this style of game, and I *love* COD4 multi. I don't know how much more I can praise it than that.

I just want to know how many maps it has. I really liked the three that were in the beta, but I'm curious how many more there will be. Tons of maps + perks = massive win.

itsinmyveins

Edwood said:

I don't know if I felt any of those were worse than in any other game. I mean sure, it lagged on occasions -- but so does Halo 3 for me. The sounds of the guns I didn't even think about.

Edwood said:
And the knife melee, oh how I love thee....

Yes! :lol

RubberJohnny said:

COD4 was a complete suprise for me, but I don't expect anything revolutionary at all, just a solid game with a bunch of new stuff which are more like evolutionary -- which is more than I can say about Halo 3.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah. Reviewers are way too nice. And what's the deal with people crying about The Orange Box not getting a full 10/10, "only" a 9.5? What the fuck? What's wrong with you people?
it's the best bang for your buck this year. halo 3 is a close second. you get 2004's GOTY, it's two awesome add on packs, on of the most original puzzle games in god knows how long (ignoring Narbacular Drop which was really just a prototype for Portal) and an awesome multiplayer game.

the quality of each of those titles holds up to anything you could put against them, even if the length of some of them doesn't... and the full package is just too good value.

i guess it's whether you see the score as a scale of game design merit, or of whether or not you should purchase the game. if it's the latter, Orange Box can't really get less than a ten.

itsinmyveins

plagiarize said:
it's the best bang for your buck this year. halo 3 is a close second. you get 2004's GOTY, it's two awesome add on packs, on of the most original puzzle games in god knows how long (ignoring Narbacular Drop which was really just a prototype for Portal) and an awesome multiplayer game.

Halo 3 is good, but hardly exceptional unless you're a fan of playing multiplayer in complete chaos ;)

The thing about the Orange Box is that I've already got HL2 and Ep1 on my computer (which somehow manages to hang in there even though it's older than the earth), and I don't wanna throw out more money on it. Ep2 is something I need to get though, but most likely I'll get it separately from Steam.

plagiarize said:
the quality of each of those titles holds up to anything you could put against them, even if the length of some of them doesn't... and the full package is just too good value.

Since I'm in Yuroland those there are a few blast from the past on my list. Both Okami and Valkyrie Profile 2 was released this year over here. And as I said, I find Halo 3 a bit too old regarding gameplay. I enjoyed COD4 more anyways.

plagiarize said:
i guess it's whether you see the score as a scale of game design merit, or of whether or not you should purchase the game. if it's the latter, Orange Box can't really get less than a ten.

HL2 is a 10/10 alone. I'm just not sure whether Orange Box should get it since the game, after all, is a bunch of years old by now. But if you haven't played it you definitely should pick up Orange Box. I'm a bit tempted to get it just to see how it plays on my X360.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Seems a bit "meh". I don't know. Wasn't a fan of the gravity gun in HL2 either.

You could scarcely believe how fantastic Portal is. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. And yes, now that I know how good it is, I can safely say, it alone is worth 60 bucks.

Also, Portal gun > Gravity gun.

Words like 'good', 'fantastic', 'brilliant' don't exactly cover what were talking about here. It's way better than Bioshock and has taken my top ten all time best games ever list by storm.

Fallout-NL said:
You could scarcely believe how fantastic Portal is. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. And yes, now that I know how good it is, I can safely say, it alone is worth 60 bucks.

Also, Portal gun > Gravity gun.

Most reviewers are saying its a few hours long. Who would pay $60 for a game with no replay value at all: once you know the puzzles whats the point?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
beelzebozo said:

I just think we are getting some really awesome games this season. This is one of the best seasons I've ever seen. Even with the absence of GTAIV it's uber awesome.

IronicallyTwisted said:
Most reviewers are saying its a few hours long. Who would pay $60 for a game with no replay value at all: once you know the puzzles whats the point?

Who gives a shit if those few hours are among the best videogame hours you've ever had?

Odds are you are among the unlucky few who just can't appreciate how incredible this game is. If this is the case, I really do feel sorry for you. Cause it's not just the gameplay or the fact that you know the puzzles on a second playthrough. The atmosphere and way in which the science fiction genre are used, only existed in my dreams up until now.

Kabouter

Dr_Cogent said:
I just think we are getting some really awesome games this season. This is one of the best seasons I've ever seen. Even with the absence of GTAIV it's uber awesome.
It is, however the amount of 10's is a bit excessive as well. People need to start adjusting to this new generation just simply offering much better games than last. Like they need to every generation.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kabouter said:
It is, however the amount of 10's is a bit excessive as well. People need to start adjusting to this new generation just simply offering much better games than last. Like they need to every generation.

It's ok. I take reviews with a grain of salt. I am the ultimate judge in the end as is everyone else.

Solo

Geezer said:
Is the SP better than COD2? I fucking loved COD2's SP!

This is the question that keeps getting glossed over, but needs to be answered. There are those of us who still prefer SP gaming, crazy as it sounds. So it would be nice to hear how the SP end of the game holds up.

wait how is this game a 10 over Orange box? Which has 5 games. and the best FPS games evermade? its 2 sequals, and one of the best online multiplayer games?

Kildace

Solo said:
This is the question that keeps getting glossed over, but needs to be answered. There are those of us who still prefer SP gaming, crazy as it sounds. So it would be nice to hear how the SP end of the game holds up.

Ditto. I barely ever play online and would love to know if the SP is worth 60€.

Any exaplanation as to why The orange Box didn't get a 10?
If any game is worthy of a 10 it is that.
I am damn sure CoD will be amazing and i'm picking it up day 1, but seriously....

If Bioshock, Halo3 and CoD4 deserve 10/10 then The Orange Box sure as hell does. I guess EA didn't spend enough advertising £££ to secure the 10 then.

Anyhow, i really can't wait for CoD4 now... i'm buying solely for the sp mind, i don't care about mp with TF2 already here. Maybe i will give it a little go, but as with Crysis mp (beta) i doubt i'll get in to it.

Top Bottom