• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 reviewed by OXM (so basically it's better than everything)

saelz8

Andokuky said:
I read somewhere there was going to be a demo today on XBL... anyone know if it's true?
The SP demo today is for the PC. In a recent interview, Collier said that each platform would be get something special. The 360 got the BETA, the PC gets the SP Demo, and we don't know what the PS3 version is getting.

Okin

Also, one of the things I loved about Call of Duty 4 is that you can actually hear gun sounds from far away.

And bullet zings.

Victrix

*beard*
Which sucks nuts, because I wanted to see if I prefer the multi in the PC or the 360, and a SP demo does not help that :(

Guy Legend

A little bit of extra info for this thread. From the COD forum:

Run down on the first magazine review for Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Singleplayer: 10/10
Multiplayer: 10/10
Overall: 10/10

New info released in review:
10/10, with multiplayer rivaling Halo 3, a ranking system better than Halo 3, 10/10 Singleplayer AND multiplayer (alone). Enemy Intel unlocks cheats, some normal (Unlimited Ammo), some cool and fun (When you kill an enemy, they burst into a mound of tires).

-Arcade mode after completing game (Points for Headshots, multi-kills, and blowing up cars and such)
-Max level 55, but stuff keeps coming after that.
-All ghillied up is the flashback, you play as Cpt. Price (a young one)
-CoD4 manages to cram something into every level.
-You play as "Soap" MacTavish (SAS), and Seargant Jackson (US)
-"To say Modern Warfare's visual fidelity is immediately apparent would be a criminal understatement. Torrid rainfall, rolling thunder crackling lightning, and marvelously detailed textures and character models all combine to make you say "Whoa"."
-CoD4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuf is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while the multiplayer is a AAA affair in itself. This swing for the fences has belted CoD4 way out of the park.

What you all wanted to know
Overkill Perk: You can carry 2 primary weapons instead of 1 and a pistol. e.g I could go into a battle with an MP5 and a M16.

+ and -
+Awesome Moments on literally every mission.
+Multiplayer quality, quantity and depth that rivals Halo's.
-A few frustratingly tough areas on the higher difficulty levels.
It also mentioned that the game kept a good pace throughout the game (most games fizz out later on)

Captions from Review
The visuals look better in motion.
In the moste tense moment in the game's best level (All Ghillied Up), all you can do is wait and pray. (It shows a pic of you prone with enemies 5-10 feet away)
Fire? Chaos? Guns blazing? Does it look like Call of Duty now?
Smash people like ants in the AC-130 gunship level.
A whopping 16 multiplayer maps await you out of the box.

Article: 13 playlists, unlocked as you rank up
60 FPS- as if u didn't know already
World War II is history! With a reinvigorated developer at the helm, Call of Duty 4 reinvents a franchise - and damn near perfects the military shooter in the process.

icechai

i'm sorry, but any FPS shooter unless really genre bending like Portal (and even then it has flaws) should not deserve a 10/10. The first and 2nd CoD were really different for the time and had the WOW moments that possibly would deserve a 10/10, but did they get it? Of course not because reviewers didn't have hazy 10/10 goggles back when they were released. Now it seems any decent FPS released can get a 10/10 as long as it's "next-gen."

antiloop

I liked the COD4 demo a lot. But all these 10s for FPS games are getting ridiculous.

Have they really reached perfection?

The PC demo I played sure as hell doesn't reflect this score. Maybe the full game is less like COD2 with modern weapons, but that demo was borderline embarrassing.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The PC demo I played sure as hell doesn't reflect this score. Maybe the full game is less like COD2 with modern weapons, but that demo was borderline embarrassing.

Didn't you hate Orange Box too?

This is a fuck awesome fall so far with Bioshock, Portal, Everyday Shooter, CoD4, and it ain't over yet. Bring on Mass Effect, Wipeout HD, Mario Galaxy, etc etc etc.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Didn't you hate Orange Box too?

Not at all. Due to my disappointment in Ep1 and Ep2 I consider it unworthy of the ridiculously high scores, but hate? No. Nor do I hate this, but that particular mission was just sad. Blow up the AA gun! The AA gun, really? I feel like I've played this many many times before, and the modern weapons don't add enough to it to make the formula any less tired. It also bugged the hell out of me that despite me supposedly being the elite guy, I was still the only guy seemingly incapable of performing even the most basic of cover fire maneuvers.

Kabouter

AltogetherAndrews said:
Indeed. The MP beta I played on 360 however was at the very least 8.5/10 worthy.

bathala

Banned
antiloop said:
I liked the COD4 demo a lot. But all these 10s for FPS games are getting ridiculous.

Have they really reached perfection?
its not about perfection, but how much fun the reviewer had with the game that it deserves a 10.

from wat Garnet said :p

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Can't wait for this game. After I tire of Orange Box, it's COD4 and VF5 (online) all the way... until Mass Effect.

The Overkill perk could be deadly. Sniper rifle + Scorpian or any of those combos could be fucked up.

The perks sound nice but hopefully there's some sort of perk available for guys like me who get rolled over and humped when it comes to online games. =(

Geoff9920

I have a feeling many people will be rockin the sniper + gun of choice combo. Did they mention which perk level Overkill is under?

Quellex said:
The SP demo today is for the PC. In a recent interview, Collier said that each platform would be get something special. The 360 got the BETA, the PC gets the SP Demo, and we don't know what the PS3 version is getting.
One level should hardly qualify as special. If they wanted to do something cool, they should have done multiplayer on each platform with different maps to play on for each.

saelz8

AndoCalrissian said:
One level should hardly qualify as special. If they wanted to do something cool, they should have done multiplayer on each platform with different maps to play on for each.
No doubt it wasn't special, because the SP Demo was pretty damn mediocre. Average.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Overkill Perk?

oh.......yes.

Shotgun + Sniper Rifle = Done Deal

P.S. game reviewers have gone out of control.

Yamaha98

I got bored of Halo 3 quite quicker than I thought. Guess the long wait exceeded the expectations.

Look forward to CoD4.

Amir0x

Banned
icechai said:
i'm sorry, but any FPS shooter unless really genre bending like Portal (and even then it has flaws) should not deserve a 10/10. The first and 2nd CoD were really different for the time and had the WOW moments that possibly would deserve a 10/10, but did they get it? Of course not because reviewers didn't have hazy 10/10 goggles back when they were released. Now it seems any decent FPS released can get a 10/10 as long as it's "next-gen."

so basically every genre ever on the face of the Earth should not deserve a 10/10 because they are no longer "really different for the time" and don't have those same "WOW moments" that could "possibly deserve a 10/10"?

Am I right here in progressing your position to the logical conclusion?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
COD4 deserves the 10/10. The MP is better than anything Halo 3 has done for me, it really is THAT good. The SP looks awesome as well. Hopefully, I will be able to pick this one the day its released.

Edit: Oh and 60FPS and 720P :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Quellex said:

A shitty port?

:lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
TEH-CJ said:
Its identical to the other versions smart one.

InternetSeriousBusiness.jpg

Jube3

icechai said:

It really depends on the the reviewers scale. Is the 10/10 from someone who rates on a consumer level (ie 1 dont buy, 10 you can't go wrong buying this) like 1up and oxm or from a place of being critical, rating games against what came before (ie 1 being a massive failure 10 being perfection, the greatest game every created) like gamespot does.

back on the game though, I just finished playing the single player demo. Fantastic demo. Intense, beautiful and chocked full of action. Can't wait to pick up the final game. :lol @ the bastard AI using last stand on me :(

Ironballs

Jube3 said:
It really depends on the the reviewers scale. Is the 10/10 from someone who rates on a consumer level (ie 1 dont buy, 10 you can't go wrong buying this) like 1up and oxm or from a place of being critical, rating games against what came before (ie 1 being a massive failure 10 being perfection, the greatest game every created) like gamespot does.

back on the game though, I just finished playing the single player demo. Fantastic demo. Intense, beautiful and chocked full of action. Can't wait to pick up the final game. :lol @ the bastard AI using last stand on me :(

Wow, i seriously never thought of it that way. I don't feel so sour about the 10's this generation anymore
even though they're still way out of hand

And the PS3 version should be fine.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
AltogetherAndrews said:
Blow up the AA gun! The AA gun, really? I feel like I've played this many many times before, and the modern weapons don't add enough to it to make the formula any less tired.

This is the downside we deal with when we ran with showing that level in the demo. The Bog is definitely a COD level, it feels like COD, plays like COD, and sounds like COD. If we were to have the demo be, say, a stealthier mission we could have easily turned off tons of previously loyal fans because they'd say, "WHERE IS MY COD?!?!". As for the AA gun, that really was just a nod to the previous CODs. I can guarantee you that you won't be running around blowing up AA gun after AA gun throughout COD4 :p

Jtrizzy

Zeke said:
Should I get my hopes up for a good PS3 version? Anyone, anyone?

everything I've read from various impressions to developer posts on this board say the two versions are identical...read the last few pages of this thread, there are lots comments from a developer with IW indicating that they are the same in quality.

We'll see...I've got battered PS3 owner syndrome after Madden.

If the PC demo I just played is at all representative of the full game then this might be the most ridiculous over scoring of a game since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 getting a 10/10.

Zeke

Jtrizzy said:
everything I've read from various impressions to developer posts on this board say the two versions are identical...read the last few pages of this thread, there are lots comments from a developer with IW indicating that they are the same in quality.

We'll see...I've got battered PS3 owner syndrome after Madden.
thanks for the redirection. I was going to pick up madden tomorrow but I changed my mind and will be getting VF5 instead.

Jtrizzy

do not pick up Madden 08 for PS3 under any circumstances...if you must have Madden, get the PS2 version, (assuming you don't have a 360) which is still the definitive version in my opinion.

I do think NCAA Football 08 is worth it if you really want something more next gen.

Zeke

Jtrizzy said:
do not, under any circumstances pick up Madden 08 for PS3...if you must have Madden, get the PS2 version, which is still the definitive version in my opinion.

I do think NCAA Football 08 is worth it if you really want something more next gen.
thanks for the heads up

personally and this is just is me, but I enjoyed the call of duty 4 multiplayer beta alot more than I am enjoying halo 3 multiplayer right now.

aeolist

Banned
I was struck by how little has changed when I played the demo. It literally seemed exactly like CoD2 only prettier and in a modern setting.

I am also not joking at all when I say that several times I thought the Arab enemies were screaming at me in German.

Jtrizzy

I've never owned a COD game for the simple reason that I don't like games set in WWII with antiquated guns and vehicles. Actually the only FP shooters I've ever owned are R6 Vegas, the original Doom on PC, and Goldeneye 64...and at the time I don't think I even knew the term "fisrt person shooter"

DKo5 said:
This is the downside we deal with when we ran with showing that level in the demo. The Bog is definitely a COD level, it feels like COD, plays like COD, and sounds like COD. If we were to have the demo be, say, a stealthier mission we could have easily turned off tons of previously loyal fans because they'd say, "WHERE IS MY COD?!?!".

That's true, of course. I'd add a rebuttal to the effect of this possibly turning off those who have been playing COD since it first launched on PC, but I'm fairly certain we're in the minority there, so hey.

Okin

uprightcitizen said:
personally and this is just is me, but I enjoyed the call of duty 4 multiplayer beta alot more than I am enjoying halo 3 multiplayer right now.

It's not just you. It's me too.

That's true, of course. I'd add a rebuttal to the effect of this possibly turning off those who have been playing COD since it first launched on PC, but I'm fairly certain we're in the minority there, so hey.

Did you play the multi? That's where it's all at. It's truly great feeling. Everything just seems so perfectly balanced.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
FiRez said:
so no demos for the 360?

:/

As far as we know the 360 wont be getting a demo. I think CoD2 sold enough to be a good indicator that every man, woman and child who has a 360 will be getting CoD4 anyway.

Amir0x said:
so basically every genre ever on the face of the Earth should not deserve a 10/10 because they are no longer "really different for the time" and don't have those same "WOW moments" that could "possibly deserve a 10/10"?

Am I right here in progressing your position to the logical conclusion?

I think a 10/10 score should appeal to almost anybody...lets say they should have a score for those who jock that genre and those that dont...Personally, I doubt I would enjoy the game too much because the genre in general doesnt interest me, barring stuff like bioshock

J-Rzez

Zeke said:
Should I get my hopes up for a good PS3 version? Anyone, anyone?

Yes, I would actually... IW has gone out of their way many times to say they're all equal... I'd have to believe it as people have said so... One review actually stated the PS3 version even looked better, but I dunno... I think they'll all be equal, and after playing the MP beta on the 360, I can tell you the game's awesome... Pick it up for your PS3 and enjoy!

sinnergy

J-Rzez said:
Yes, I would actually... IW has gone out of their way many times to say they're all equal... I'd have to believe it as people have said so... One review actually stated the PS3 version even looked better, but I dunno... I think they'll all be equal, and after playing the MP beta on the 360, I can tell you the game's awesome... Pick it up for your PS3 and enjoy!

Previews ;) And anything can happen from Preview to Review. I have seen games get so much hype in Previews and fall flat on their ass when the Reviews hit and and visa versa. Anyway let's hope IW can make them all equal indeed. I don't want to read PS3 omg looks beter, X360 ftw, PS3 crap ,etc, etc

xbhaskarx

Atomspike said:
yeah right ! blasphemy! this is why it has sold almost 3 times more than Bioshock , and it's on a single platform .

In what alternate Sony fanboy reality has Resistance sold 3 times more than BioShock??
And that "single platform" argument is nonsense also. On just the Xbox 360, BioShock is nearing Resistance in sales after just two months.

Here's a hint if you're a PS3 fan: don't make "quality of PS3 game > 360 game" arguments based on sales numbers when the 360 has sold almost 3.5 x as many consoles as the PS3 in America.

Top Bottom