• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 reviewed by OXM (so basically it's better than everything)

derder

Atomspike said:
Resistance is up to par with all those and bioshock , it has an awesome gameplay with robust multi-player , why it didn't get some 10s ? Sony haters ?

I don't like it. I don't get it. It isn't that great. I feel like I'm trapped. Please, I can't take it anymore.

Atomspike said:
Resistance is up to par with all those and bioshock , it has an awesome gameplay with robust multi-player , why it didn't get some 10s ? Sony haters ?
Resistance's great multi-player blows away Bioshock's non-existent multi-player. However, Resistance can't touch Bioshock's writing, voice-acting, art deco, etc.

Mardil

tokkun said:
I don't care about your "first person shooting games", tell me about that GH3 review!
Yes! 8.0? Is it worse than the previous installments or have standards been raised with such awesome games?

Atomspike

speculawyer said:
Resistance's great multi-player blows away Bioshock's non-existent multi-player. However, Resistance can't touch Bioshock's writing, voice-acting, art deco, etc.
agreed ! resistance and Bioshock are perfect games in their own way .

Drewsy

Banned
Guy Legend said:

It's pretty much between this and skate for me. Call of Duty is my favorite franchise out there, and skate blew my mind. Like everyone else is saying, it's been a good year (2 years, actually).

Although, I'm especially excited for COD4 because it's the first one that looks like it has great single player and multiplayer.

Atomspike said:
yeah right ! blasphemy! this is why it has sold almost 3 times more than Bioshock , and it's on a single platform .

Well if sales is any indication Halo 3 takes a big dumb on Resistance and pretty much everything else this gen....Do you really want to go there? Sony fanboy talking about sales :lol

Well , if you don't like it , that's fine , nobody cares

You obviously care if you brought up Resistance at all. Seems like you were crying about PS3 review scores just a page ago...I played Resistance and it's really nothing special; it's reviews reflect that. A good game but nothing extraordinary.

Is Call of Duty 4 expected to have single player as good as Call of Duty 2's? Cause I absolutely loved that game and even finished it on veteran.

Seems like the emphasis is more on multiplayer now, I could be wrong, though.

And it goes without saying about that OTHER game.

Atomspike

MWS Natural said:
Well if sales is any indication Halo 3 takes a big dumb on Resistance and pretty much everything else this gen....Do you really want to go there? Sony fanboy talking about sales :lol
Lol , how big is that dumb ?

You obviously care if you brought up Resistance at all. Seems like you were crying about PS3 review scores just a page ago...I played Resistance and it's really nothing special; it's reviews reflect that. A good game but nothing extraordinary.
I could say the same thing about Halo3 !

Drewsy

Banned
^--They could put a screenshot of this exchange and put it in the dictonary under the definition of "human preference: fact!" and it'd be a pretty good example.

Look at the post above and below me...I rest my case.

:D

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
speculawyer said:
Are you saying 8.5 is too high or too low for NBA 2K8?

too high

I don't know what build the reviewer got but the retail has huge bugs offline like your player shooting the ball without you hitting the shoot button then the game freezes.
and the lock on defense is awful and this comes from a huge 2k sports fanboy.

Atomspike said:
yeah right ! blasphemy! this is why it has sold almost 3 times more than Bioshock , and it's on a single platform .

The PS3 itself has barely sold 3x more than Bioshock, what on earth are you babbling about.

I agree that the use of 10's has been a bit liberal (it seems like no one's willing to use the ol' 9.5 these days except for Orange Box), but the fact of the matter is it's been an amazing couple of months for games, and Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Ratchet, and Crysis are still to come. I really do think that the games that have received them thus far have been that much better than the rest of the field this generation. A few tenths of a point here and there doesn't change that.

As long as there are only a handful of titles that average over 90 each year on gamerankings per platform, I think that reviewers are doing a good job of protecting us from crap and letting us know what rocks.

HokieJoe

J-Rzez said:
What? GTFO... I don't agree with that review on CoD4 online rivaling "you know what - Halo 3"

Just the limited Beta alone shows that CoD4 online will slap H3 like the red-headed step child it is... Will beat it like a rented mule... *insert other lame analogy*... No comparison here folks, seriously...

The lack of co-op gets a full point deduction from the Russian judges. Seriously, IW needs to get with the times on this issue. Major fun to be had with co-op.

Atomspike

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PS3 itself has barely sold 3x more than Bioshock, what on earth are you babbling about.
Is this "i can pull a number/approximation out of my ass" time ?

well actually , i admit we are both wrong ! Resistance sold roughly 2 times more than Bioshock , around 2 million for Resistance and around 1 million for Bioshock .
the Ps3 sold around 5 million , so it's 5 time more than Bioshock !

whatever makes you sleep at night .

Atomspike said:
Is this "i can pull a number/approximation out of my ass" time ?

well actually , i admit we are both wrong ! Resistance sold roughly 2 times more than Bioshock , around 2 million for Resistance and around 1 million for Bioshock .
the Ps3 sold around 5 million , so it's 5 time more than Bioshock !

whatever makes you sleep at night .

Take Two's press release said they shipped 1.5 million in two weeks. We don't have sales numbers for Europe, but it debuted at #1 in just about every country for 360 or PC.

That press release was over a month ago, as were the last sales reports we got.

If it's over 200k in September NPD it will probably pass 1.5 million (1 million US) on just 360 in 2007.

Oh man...I'm sick of the FPS is holier then thou bs...

I get it the genre has the most room to improve...so let's cut the crap with these 10's.

On a side note: I was willing to give this one a look.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
GoofsterStud said:
Oh man...I'm sick of the FPS is holier then thou bs...

I get it the genre has the most room to improve...so let's cut the crap with these 10's.

On a side note: I was willing to give this one a look.

Wait...what? You were willing to take a look at it, until it got a 10?

Sho_Nuff82 said:

I agree that the use of 10's has been a bit liberal (it seems like no one's willing to use the ol' 9.5 these days except for Orange Box), but the fact of the matter is it's been an amazing couple of months for games, and Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Ratchet, and Crysis are still to come. I really do think that the games that have received them thus far have been that much better than the rest of the field this generation. A few tenths of a point here and there doesn't change that.

As long as there are only a handful of titles that average over 90 each year on gamerankings per platform, I think that reviewers are doing a good job of protecting us from crap and letting us know what rocks.

I think a 10 should signify a must buy: no more no less. These ideas of perfection ignore the fact that video games are a human product, and like their creators, they are flawed. I don't think a perfect score should be something of a Holy Grail: thats doing a disservice to readers.

10's should be rare, but not "once every 9 years" rare. Thats just absurd.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
COD4

+ Awesome moments on literally every mission
+ Multiplayer quality, quantity, and depth that rivals...nevermind, you know.
- A few frustratingly tough areas on the higher difficulty levels

COD2 was a bitch on veteran, looks like this is no different.

No I'm just sick of all the uber ratings when titles as good in other genres do not get the same treatment.

I was going to look at this one cause I really like the setting and style.

I'm just sick of all these 10's.

I don't like FPS titles in general however the fact that Halo 3 gets a 10 still confuses me. I thought it wasn't nearly as much of an improvement to Halo 2 as Bioshock was to Halo 2.

Teen Ape

I can imagine the tag line to sum up reviews for COD4 on the box..."COD4 10/10, EVEN MORE AWESOME THAN ACTUAL WAR! REALLY!"

After playing the Beta, I cannot wait for this game. Halo 3 is great and all but the Beta spoiled me in the fact that even if you lose, you can still gain experience and level up your character & weapons by doing well individually and winning just adds to that. You advance based on how well you did, and you still help your team, instead of Halo's experience system where you only get experience if you win that match.

Plus having all the perks and weapons available...good golly miss molly it's going to be a hell of a time!

decon

karasu said:
Is it just me, or are we seeing a crapload of 10's this generation?
Agreed. Hype > Quality of the game. I'm not saying that CoD4 is a bad game but it's just crazy that there's so many games getting 10's.

Blader

decon said:
Agreed. Hype > Quality of the game. I'm not saying that CoD4 is a bad game but it's just crazy that there's so many games getting 10's.

So it's totally impossible that there are just a lot of quality games this year?

GoofsterStud said:
No I'm just sick of all the uber ratings when titles as good in other genres do not get the same treatment.

I was going to look at this one cause I really like the setting and style.

I'm just sick of all these 10's.

I don't like FPS titles in general however the fact that Halo 3 gets a 10 still confuses me. I thought it wasn't nearly as much of an improvement to Halo 2 as Bioshock was to Halo 2.

There hasn't really been that many standout titles in any other genre this generation, has there?

I mean, what RPGs have deserved to be rated has highly as Oblivion (which got its share of 10s)?

What adventure games are as good as Twilight Princess?

What 3rd person shooters have been as good as Gears of War?

What action games have been as good as God of War?

We just had/will have 4 AAA FPS (5, if you consider Metroid Prime part of the genre) dumped in our laps in just over a 3 month span. No other genre has been nearly as strong to deserve those kinds of scores.

decon

Blader5489 said:
So it's totally impossible that there are just a lot of quality games this year?
No but these games aren't the new Half-Life that's for sure. If any were to be then it would be bioshock but that game also got it's flaws that makes it in my opinion not worth of getting a 10 but rather a 9.5.

Not to say that HL didn't but it brought so much more to the FPS genre than e.g. bioshock or Halo 3 for that matter.

Teen Ape

decon said:
I'd have to disagree when it comes to COD4. The COD4 Beta was incredibly polished and played exceptionally well. IW simply churned out such a high caliber product compared to whats out now and is coming out in the near future that they earned themselves a 10 from OXM for the 360 version. Just from the Beta the graphics in MP were awesome, and it runs at 60fps, has amazing sound and gameplay where when you die you dont feel cheated at all because you can see what the other player did (killcam) plus an insane single player and the depth of the MP...it probably earned it's 10.

It will be interesting to see though how Playstation specific magazines rate the PS3 version of COD4, considering that OXM gave the 360 version a 10.

decon said:
No but these games aren't the new Half-Life that's for sure. If any were to be then it would be bioshock but that game also got it's flaws that makes it in my opinion not worth of getting a 10 but rather a 9.5.

Not to say that HL didn't but it brought so much more to the FPS genre than e.g. bioshock or Halo 3 for that matter.

When a reviewer gives a game 10, try not to think of it as them saying it's reinventing the wheel, but rather, it's better than 99.9% of games on the shelves and you're brainless if you don't pick it up. If it's a game that's an amazing experience in single or multi, with flawless graphics and sound, and you find yourself playing it for months with little to no complaints, that it should be a 10, right?

If Bioshock, Halo 3 , Orange box and now COD4 (played the beta) are not 10's and therefore become 9's then everyone else has to move even further down the scale, games that I think should be 8's (very good games) then have to become 5 and 6's, because its not fair to say they are 8 and the games above are only 1 point better.

The 10's are fully justified for all the games above for different reasons

Bioshock, art, story idea, immersiveness
Halo 3, multiplayer, 4 player co op, completle package ie forge videos etc
Orange box, wow what a deal!!
COD4, Graphics, multiplayer,.... you just have to play it!!

decon

Teen Ape said:
I'd have to disagree when it comes to COD4. The COD4 Beta was incredibly polished and played exceptionally well. IW simply churned out such a high caliber product compared to whats out now and is coming out in the near future that they earned themselves a 10 from OXM for the 360 version. Just from the Beta the graphics in MP were awesome, and it runs at 60fps, has amazing sound and gameplay where when you die you dont feel cheated at all because you can see what the other player did (killcam) plus an insane single player and the depth of the MP...it probably earned it's 10.

It will be interesting to see though how Playstation specific magazines rate the PS3 version of COD4, considering that OXM gave the 360 version a 10.
I'm not saying that CoD4 isn't worth a 10 since I've only played the beta and I agree with you that it's pretty darn awesome in multiplayer and that the graphics are sweet as hell too.

When a reviewer gives a game 10, try not to think of it as them saying it's reinventing the wheel, but rather, it's better than 99.9% of games on the shelves and you're brainless if you don't pick it up. If it's a game that's an amazing experience in single or multi, with flawless graphics and sound, and you find yourself playing it for months with little to no complaints, that it should be a 10, right?
Well HL didn't reinvent the FPS genre either now did it? It just brought something new to the genre that's shown to be something that's now a must have in every modern FPS game.
I really don't want to go much more into this because it will probably end in a Halo vs. everything war. But I'm having a really hard time taking reviewers reviews serious these days after seeing Halo 3 getting so many 10's when even a simple thing like friendly A.I. is messed up. And no the video/forge thing ain't that awesome, at least I don't find it to be anything special.

J-Rzez

HokieJoe said:
The lack of co-op gets a full point deduction from the Russian judges. Seriously, IW needs to get with the times on this issue. Major fun to be had with co-op.

Lack of co-op is a meh for me personally... Yeah, yeah, H3 had it... But IW concentrated on the real deal, the MP, and it shows smoking H3 in that department...

Socreges

Banned
TTP said:
Being an FPS is a prerequisite to get a 10 these days.
they must be the easiest genre to develop, no? you already have a fundamental game design set out, you just need to fill in the pieces and tweak things and focus on new kinds of creativity.

not to take anything away from games like bioshock but when you have such a large portion of the industry working on the same template, of course you're going to get gems like that

Tieno

Socreges said:
they must be the easiest genre to develop, no? you already have a fundamental game design set out, you just need to fill in the pieces and tweak things and focus on new kinds of creativity.

not to take anything away from games like bioshock but when you have such a large portion of the industry working on the same template, of course you're going to get gems like that
It's the most developer genre hence it has a large portion of very good games.

Top Bottom