• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

RM8

From the Destructoid review Solange sounds like Ike in SSBB - slow and punishable attacks, but when they hit it hurts. Ugh, want to play this now.

picked up my game from gamestop during my lunch break.

only problem is that i forgot my 3ds at my girlfriend's house and she lives an hour away so i wont be able to play until tomorrow. lame...

Etzer

Mine just arrived! Gonna start playing now; I hope I like it.

On a related note... Wow, release day shipping and $10 off! Newegg is awesome.

jackal27

Banned
Well let's see who reviewed it...oh, it wasn't Sterling? Not really all that surprising, then.

True that. I'm usually all for the whole "a review is just one man's opinion" thing. Then I played The Last Story and Kid Icarus Uprising and concluded that Jim is a crazy person. It sucks not being able to trust his reviews.

Koroviev

True that. I'm usually all for the whole "a review is just one man's opinion" thing. Then I played The Last Story and Kid Icarus Uprising and concluded that Jim is a crazy person. It sucks not being able to trust his reviews.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Jim's reviews. He has established his preferences with respect to games. If they don't mesh with yours, then simply ignore his reviews. For most Japanese games, I either look for Dale North's review or consult with RPGFan.

jackal27

Banned
I don't think there's anything wrong with Jim's reviews. He has established his preferences with respect to games. If they don't mesh with yours, then simply ignore his reviews. For most Japanese games, I either look for Dale North's review or consult with RPGFan.

I suppose, but I also like Destructoid a lot and have been really active in the community there for 6 years. I used to feel like my game tastes meshed with the site really well until he took over. So it unnerves me a bit. I also just don't like to see people turned away from an amazing game that could really use support just because of one overwhelmingly polar opinion. Also, it's not like he hates JRPGs or anything. He's given plenty of them glowing reviews so I trusted his opinion on The Last Story. Lucky for me, I didn't agree with him and loved that game!

ANYWAY!

Is there any place to see ALL the playable characters in this game? Aren't there like a bajillion? Also, you guys that have played it, how is the multiplayer? That seemed to be Dtoid's only complaint.

You don't need to know the reviewers' history at any other sites to get a reasonable, average impression of a given game's quality. To me that indicates a problem.

Destructoid is "that site that lets Sterling review games." No other major site carries that kind of infamy.

Koroviev

You don't need to know the reviewers' history at any other sites to get a reasonable, average impression of a given game's quality. To me that indicates a problem.

Destructoid is "that site that lets Sterling review games." No other major site carries that kind of infamy.

It depends on the site. I generally prefer genre-specific sites because tastes tend to be more comparable among reviewers. In the case of Destructoid, it seems to be that they assign games to whoever happens to be available. Sometimes reviewers trade off if it's not working. For example, Sterling handed the Sound Shapes review over to someone else once he realized that the game wasn't for him.

I like some GameSpot reviews, but I don't usually agree with Carolyn Petit regarding Japanese games. So, if she happens to be the reviewer, then I usually don't take into account that review.

We're getting off-topic here. Back to the princess.

HyperHip

Is there any place to see ALL the playable characters in this game? Aren't there like a bajillion? Also, you guys that have played it, how is the multiplayer? That seemed to be Dtoid's only complaint.

I tried a little bit of Co-op and a few matches in versus mode. I agree that it's kinda iffy when trying to find someone, though I did manage to find some more people before I went back to Story Mode. Also having to rejoin lobbies after every quest is kind of annoying.

Of the 9 co-op session I played a had 2 literally unplayable connections, but the rest seemed decent to smooth. As for Vs I might need more time for the verdict but so far seems similar to the JP one, it includes Rank, Non-Custom/Custom character fights, and leaderboards.

Jarsonot

Game get! Liking it so far, still early on. Played online twice - once was very slow (glad the other player didn't quit) and the other was just fine.

I can see sinking some hours into this.

Koroviev

Keep the impressions coming. I'm tempted to order it from Amazon. Dale North's opinion holds a lot of weight for me.

Pikma

Banned
OMG, I was this close to cancel my pre-order and get Dishonored instead, but then I thought how much more this game actually needs my support, Dishonored will be successful anyways, I'm glad I didn't cancel. :D

Koroviev

OMG, I was this close to cancel my pre-order and get Dishonored instead, but then I thought how much more this game actually needs my support, Dishonored will be successful anyways, I'm glad I didn't cancel. :D

I feel so guilty if I day-one PC games. There will be a sale. I just....must be patient.

soothe.

so, what's the word on this coming to europe? i guess agatsuma was at least hinting a european release, but has anything more info come from that?

jackal27

Banned

You are a solid human being. More people need to buy games like this.

It kinda really sucks that you can't just play through the entire game with a bro ala Streets of Rage or something.

Can not wait for this, please please please Amazon hurry up and ship my order ASAP. Might have it this week, but early next is looking most likely :(

OmegaZero

Well, my 3DS came back in.
They replaced whatever was causing the issue in the L button and also replaced the bumpers on the 3D screen.

So, my FC is 4854-6508-4956. Let me know if you added me (maybe through a PM) and give me yours so I can add you back.

I haven't received my order yet, but will by the end of the week at the latest.

Etzer

Played it for about an hour.
I'm really liking it! Gonna be good playing these short quests between classes at uni.

Esura

Banned
That is definitely different than what he does.

I do hope my copy ships soon. It's weird to not have had it already ship.

I got mines from the 'stop.

I love this game so far. Solange is Leina 2.0...but derpier. And Laura Bailey is voicing her!

The game feels like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, but with more shit and juggle combos. I did a 20 hit combo so far with Solange.

Question for anyone playing right now. I got some points for wrecking stuff but I don't quite know how to go about using them. I don't want to build Solange into some weaksauce shit.

God damn! This game is so hype! Loving it more than I anticipated.

Game looks fantastic.

I wasn't expecting voice acting out the butt!

I'm grinding levels like a fiend. My Solange is dumb as a post, but hits hard as fuuuuck yo! :3

Love the alt colors too.

Play the tutorials first for a free level.

If you love beat'em ups and have a 3DS you need to own this. SOHYPE!

It's different from GH, but great.

Koroviev

God damn! This game is so hype! Loving it more than I anticipated.

Game looks fantastic.

I wasn't expecting voice acting out the butt!

I'm grinding levels like a fiend. My Solange is dumb as a post, but hits hard as fuuuuck yo! :3

Love the alt colors too.

Play the tutorials first for a free level.

If you love beat'em ups and have a 3DS you need to own this. SOHYPE!

It's different from GH, but great.

I have zero experience with beat-em-ups, but I like the art style quite a bit. I only have one retail 3DS game at the moment.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hm. I played a round with Ali Baba, since my brother is cool enough to let me play his sparkly new game for a few minutes, lol.

Look, a stage that's longer than one screen!

Pretty animation. I can deal with this hybrid 2d/3d style, like a sharper Saturn game.

Love the voicework. I'd be Ok without it, but Zozo's deadpan delivery, and an oddly high-society Lara Bailey as Solange are fun on the ears. Enbel and Sembel are the kinda guys that... will always make me think of Aggoni and Payne from Dragon Force... If only someone would pick up that and it's sequel, and release them for download services... *coughcough*

Love the writing, good job Atlus:) How much of this is "Localization Punch-Up", vs how much of this is "Just the Japanese script"? It's got that perfect type of tone and charm that feels Working Designs-ish, which I can always appreciate.

I could see controls taking some getting used to, but don't find them bad at all. All the quirks were things I'd have been iffy about, too, if I had never played GHs before, and picked it up new in this day and age.

Ahh well. One day, I'll be playing this on my own 3DS XL, but until then...

Velcro Fly

So tempted to go out and get this game right now. Think I'm going to actually wait until tomorrow. Just got a ton of credit from GameStop today so hopefully they will have a copy available tomorrow that hasn't been gutted.

So tempted to go out and get this game right now. Think I'm going to actually wait until tomorrow. Just got a ton of credit from GameStop today so hopefully they will have a copy available tomorrow that hasn't been gutted.

I'd go now. :3

So, was an art book for this released in Japan?

And OP will be updated when I get home people.

This topic will rise up to the heavens! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

My copy shipped from Amazon a mere 2 hours ago, fingures crossed it gets here by Friday, I NEED THIS GAME NOW.

On the plus side if it doesn't come in I'll be able to play lots of Game Boy Colour Mario Golf on the 3DS.

MrBS

My copy has shipped, now for it to travel to the land down under. Hopefully no drop bears steal my package.

Effect

This game is a lot of fun so far. I think this game and others like it are the middle ground I've been looking for. I want to play fighters but the move sets are always so complicated. The moves here are easy enough for me to pull off without much issue. Being able to dodge between the plans are nice as well.

Also liking that you can play the story missions as the other characters and get another point of view. At least so far for the first mission I tried. Not sure if that keeps up.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Listening to the soundtrack... these are cool themes. I like how the ACE commentary mentioned the "temporary lyrics" method of sound design; the melody that arises from having song that you *think* you can sing along to, is always a nice touch.

I like this 8th Track, "Turn it up!" - Is this the closest I'll get to a Valgar Theme?

Solange's theme "Holy Princess" has great energy. Kinda makes me think of something outta Ys.

Ali's theme "There's Nothing I Can't Steal" kinda reminds me of Ryoute ni Juu from Burst Angel...

I do admit, I wish there were more saxaphones, lol. The jazzy themes were some of my faves on GH.

Oh, and Treasure fandom side is VERY happy when it sees the soldiers pull off the "Lord of the Dance"-like pose, just like the soldiers in Guardian Heroes.

Dark Skin, Black hair Solange is a hotty.

Anyone notice any throwback / homage colors for the characters?

Effect

Oh, and Treasure fandom side is VERY happy when it sees the soldiers pull off the "Lord of the Dance"-like pose, just like the soldiers in Guardian Heroes.

Dark Skin, Black hair Solange is a hotty.

Anyone notice any throwback / homage colors for the characters?

This. I just found that you can change the how the characters look in Free Play. To bad you can't change if for the campaign missions. Black hair, brown skin, and yellow armor would be how I'd play as Solange 100% of the time.

Andrew J.

Got it from Amazon today. Solange fits my preferred fighting/beat'em-up playstyle well, kinda slow to run and attack but good reach, damage, and knockback.

Arla

Just a heads up There's a real art book and 2 DISC OST that was released in Japan. What we got are basically samples of both. Japan got the same with their copies of the game, the complete art book and ost are sold separately.

Busaiku

Also, absolutely loving the dialogue and how the VAs are just hamming it up.
I am so, so glad this isn't serious at all.

Koroviev

Is this game really likely to become scarce? Because everyone said that about Overclocked, and it has been discounted many times now. As a matter of fact, it's only $30 on Amazon at the moment.

Arla

Is this game really likely to become scarce? Because everyone said that about Overclocked, and it has been discounted many times now. As a matter of fact, it's only $30 on Amazon at the moment.

Overclocked was wierd. Initial shipment was low and soon Amazon had it for ~$60-~70. One day they restocked it and the price went back down to $40 which is when I bought it. A couple weeks or a month later it went down to $30.

Last I checked DeSu (DS) cost more than DeSu: O. It's really hard to tell, with games like this I bite as soon as I can.

Anyone get the samurai guy yet or the super mace nun? I'd love to hear some impressions on how those two play, hope they have great movesets

Eusis

Probably depends on how fast it sells. This first run DOES have extras that won't stick for future prints, but I dunno if I recally care that much. Then again, ACE+ blew me away with Xenoblade's music, and even a little more of that would be fantastic.

But, damn, it's really just too packed in this period.

Top Bottom