• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

Ricker

Well I caved and grabbed it,let's hope the online is as good as Heroes of Ruin,connection wise...just did a few stages so far and it looks good thats for sure,just seems a little slow at first,playing with Solange Blanchefleur de Lux ;)...already unlocked Zozo and Ali though so I might switch character...stages are really short so far hehe.

My code: 0344-9420-2047...I will go through the thread and add you guys during the evening.

I'm still on the fence. :(

Are mission clear time records in Free Play separated by the character you choose, or are they just general clear times like how it appears to be in Campaign? Can you play multiplayer versus offline with bots? What are all the modes, and which of those let you play as every character in the game? Are there multiple difficulty settings?

It's really hard finding what I'm looking for on YouTube. If footage isn't of the Japanese version, it's just an unboxing or LP of the campaign.

Just started but I don't think there is bots...

Esura

Banned
Wow, regular mode Versus sucks. Sticks me with a level 1 Solange. When I first played the game I didn't find it too slow like people were claiming but going from a 70 Speed Solange to the base one is just...good god no.

Koroviev

How does this game look and play on a regular 3DS?

It's fine for me, although things on the farthest plane can be a little difficult to see. However, this isn't that big of a deal since you probably won't be spending much time back there anyway. Enemies are usually obscuring your view.

Bururian

So I'm thinking that one night soon we should sync up into various groups and do co-op/versus games for a few hours. I think that would be pretty fun to do.

I can't seem to choose from everyone in online coop mode, though I've played with a grandma and the innkeeper.

What simple thing am I missing?

Ponn

Banned
It's fine for me, although things on the farthest plane can be a little difficult to see. However, this isn't that big of a deal since you probably won't be spending much time back there anyway. Enemies are usually obscuring your view.

Cool, thanks. This was the only game I was worried about playing on a regular 3DS.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How many characters have healing magic of some sort besides Sister Hel?

I was having a little trouble finding my groove with Ali, but this seems to be a recipe for success:

- equip item that grants unblockable attacks during burst
- max attack with no regard for other stats
- go ham with QCF moves

Durask

Got it, played a bit. Updated Guardian Heroes but does not seem as hard.

I can't stand the 3DS. I bought the XL just in anticipation for this game and the hardware still sucks. Dull screen, everything looks low res and kinda washed out.

Why can't I have good games like this one on GOOD hardware????

Bururian

I can't stand the 3DS. I bought the XL just in anticipation for this game and the hardware still sucks. Dull screen, everything looks low res and kinda washed out.

The game looks fine on my regular 3DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I was having a little trouble finding my groove with Ali, but this seems to be a recipe for success:

- equip item that grants unblockable attacks during burst
- max attack with no regard for other stats
- go ham with QCF moves

That is exactly how I cleared her story mode in about 12 minutes last night.

My Zozo run went

-equip item that grants fire damage on burst
-max mind with no regard for other stats.
-shoot beams of fire and balls of lightning at everyone. Some bosses died in one hit.

branny

I've been doing research about the XL in addition to Code of Princess because I'm sick of my OG 3DS digging into the corner of my palm. Do those of you who upgraded feel like it's worth it? I feel like it's an okay question to ask in an OT for a game that's a bit more on the demanding side. It's a definite upgrade, right? I feel like I never turn on my 3DS anymore, a crime, really, because it has so many good games (including my current GotY Kid Icarus).

Also, I'm sadly still on the fence about CoP. I don't like Guardian Heroes as much as other people, so I'm really wondering if CoP would be fun for me when the only brawler I genuinely adore is D&D:SoM. The setting, story, sprites, and music in CoP are all up my alley. I would've imported this game in a heartbeat if the 3DS weren't region-locked. But, after more consideration, a lot of the stuff seems lacking or unpolished, so I don't really know what to do.

Koroviev

I've been doing research about the XL in addition to Code of Princess because I'm sick of my OG 3DS digging into the corner of my palm. Do those of you who upgraded feel like it's worth it? I feel like it's an okay question to ask in an OT for a game that's a bit more on the demanding side. It's a definite upgrade, right? I feel like I never turn on my 3DS anymore, a crime, really, because it has so many good games (including my current GotY Kid Icarus).

Also, I'm sadly still on the fence about CoP. I don't like Guardian Heroes as much as other people, so I'm really wondering if CoP would be fun for me when the only brawler I genuinely adore is D&D:SoM. The setting, story, sprites, and music in CoP are all up my alley. I would've imported this game in a heartbeat if the 3DS weren't region-locked. But, after more consideration, a lot of the stuff seems lacking or unpolished, so I don't really know what to do.

I haven't played Guardian Heroes, or any other brawlers for that matter, and I really like this game. There is some slowdown, even in 2D mode, depending on what is happening on the screen. However, I have not found it to be in any way game-breaking. The game is genuinely funny and charming. You should give it a chance.

P90

The 3DS screen is no Vita OLED and is not as ergonomic as the DSi, but I think Code of Princess looks and plays quite nice on the regular 3DS.

duckroll

Also, I'm sadly still on the fence about CoP. I don't like Guardian Heroes as much as other people, so I'm really wondering if CoP would be fun for me when the only brawler I genuinely adore is D&D:SoM.

Doesn't really sound like what you're looking for. There's no exploration, no secrets, there aren't much actual RPG mechanics at all. It's just a pure combat brawler with multiple planes and a bunch of characters to fuck around with. It's literally Guardian Heroes condensed into a portable experience and with all stages broken down into individual "quests" to make it easier to play in shorter doses and quit since it's a portable game.

If the idea of just fighting enemies and bosses over and over, trying to find the fastest way to beat them while avoiding getting killed doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't get the game.

OmegaZero

Is there a hard and fast rule on which attacks are based off of the Attack stat and which are based off of Mind (i.e. something as simple as "if it uses MP, then Mind, if not, then Attack)? Just asking so that I don't have to test it myself on a per-move basis.

I'm mostly wondering about Allegro's moveset right now, as some of the attacks he has that look energy-based don't consume MP.

I think that it's safe to say that any attack that directly causes a status effect (like a fireball setting someone on fire or an orb of electricity that stuns someone) consumes MP. Allegro for example can buff his Attack with his down heavy special attack. When he runs out, the attack still comes out with its wide attack radius, but the attack buff doesn't happen (and MP isn't drained).
Of course, there are attacks that don't cause a status effect but still drain MP. The reasons for that should be obvious if the properties of the attack are examined.

I think only Allegro does, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the non-main characters has healing magic. The old man can drain vitality but I hesitate to put that in the same class as "healing magic".

Sixfortyfive

The question wasn't "how can I tell if an attack consumes MP" (that's easily verifiable), but "which attacks are based off of Attack and which are based off of Mind" (which takes a little more work to test).

branny

If the idea of just fighting enemies and bosses over and over, trying to find the fastest way to beat them while avoiding getting killed doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't get the game.
That does appeal to me and is honestly all I could ever want out of the game, but my worry is that things aren't fleshed out enough to support that kind of play for longer than a week or so.

For example, I still don't know if clear times for each mission are universal or individual. If I go through a mission with a crappy character (and come out with a poor time that's actually great considering who I was using), does the game track of the records for that particular character? Because it looks like only the best time in general for that mission is what's recorded, regardless of who you use. I could feel accomplished doing something impossible, but I don't want to have to manually keep track of that sort of thing.

The same goes with, like, lack of training mode, which is fine but weird. Or lack of offline multiplayer with bots. So, if I go on a trip somewhere and don't have access to local or online multi (which also seems to bear hit-or-miss netcode), I won't be able to use the versus mode at all...? I feel like I'm being misinformed because I find that pretty unacceptable.

And I still haven't seen complete movelists with normals and special moves yet, so I don't know what kind of arsenal everyone (or at least the main characters) is working with. A lot of the footage I've seen so far looks very Guardian Heroes but slower and not as deep, so I'm not sure if the game is as it seems or actually more complicated and just not being played properly. Would advanced techniques even be required in the first place if things aren't that challenging...? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the game's difficulty beyond needing to grind here and there. Speaking of that, I would've totally expected a variety of difficulty settings for every mode in a game like this.

It's stuff like that holding me back. It just seems like Guardian Heroes may still be the more complete package from an outsider's perspective. I don't want to write CoP off like that, though, hence my dilemma lol.

edit: why is it every time i can't decide about a game i end up buying it anyway IGNORE THIS POST BLAGGGHh

OmegaZero

The question wasn't "how can I tell if an attack consumes MP" (that's easily verifiable), but "which attacks are based off of Attack and which are based off of Mind" (which takes a little more work to test).

My bad on two parts then:
I also seem wrong about Allegro having a healing move. It looks like it just does damage over a large area, unless I'm missing something.

I tried co-op with him and it didn't seem to heal anyone, so eh.

Just played a bunch, getting to the level with four waves of enemies that ends with a boss surrounded by bees that shoot out lots of shock balls. That fight was a bitch with Solange and I died a few times, until I equipped an Energy Charm that blocks the shock status effect and Solange's Saturn equip that has the Super Armor ability that prevents knockbacks on burst. Ended up rushing down the boss and bursting after grinding 3-4 more levels, and he went down quick.

Felt good, man

Koroviev

That does appeal to me and is honestly all I could ever want out of the game, but my worry is that things aren't fleshed out enough to support that kind of play for longer than a week or so.

For example, I still don't know if clear times for each mission are universal or individual. If I go through a mission with a crappy character (and come out with a poor time that's actually great considering who I was using), does the game track of the records for that particular character? Because it looks like only the best time in general for that mission is what's recorded, regardless of who you use. I could feel accomplished doing something impossible, but I don't want to have to manually keep track of that sort of thing.

The same goes with, like, lack of training mode, which is fine but weird. Or lack of offline multiplayer with bots. So, if I go on a trip somewhere and don't have access to local or online multi (which also seems to bear hit-or-miss netcode), I won't be able to use the versus mode at all...? I feel like I'm being misinformed because I find that pretty unacceptable.

And I still haven't seen complete movelists with normals and special moves yet, so I don't know what kind of arsenal everyone (or at least the main characters) is working with. A lot of the footage I've seen so far looks very Guardian Heroes but slower and not as deep, so I'm not sure if the game is as it seems or actually more complicated and just not being played properly. Would advanced techniques even be required in the first place if things aren't that challenging...? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the game's difficulty beyond needing to grind here and there. Speaking of that, I would've totally expected a variety of difficulty settings for every mode in a game like this.

It's stuff like that holding me back. It just seems like Guardian Heroes may still be the more complete package from an outsider's perspective. I don't want to write CoP off like that, though, hence my dilemma lol.

edit: why is it every time i can't decide about a game i end up buying it anyway IGNORE THIS POST BLAGGGHh

"I am GAF."

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hell yes. Put in a 4 hour marathon tonight that saw Solange hit level 86 and the campaign fall to her DeLuxCalibur!

A surprisingly epic little game; certainly with a story better put together than GH, IMHO.

Pretty sure I managed to snag all of the regular enemy and generic NPC unlockables, but I do have a few gaps in my Free Mode character list; likely named NPCs / enemies going by their list standings.

I have a few ideas as to unlocking them, and since I don't feel remotely 'done' with the game; the fun shall continue!

My Solange has 50 in all stats save for speed and attack, which are floating in the 115+ range. With powerful gear that grants boss and low level killer status, it's almost unfair. :D

Sixfortyfive

With the exception of one single 2P co-op mission, I've now cleared out literally everything available to me (Campaign with all 4 characters, all Free Play missions, all Bonus Quests except one I can't figure out how to unlock), but I still have a few gaps when it comes to unlockables. Can anyone help me figure out any of the ones below?

How do I unlock the character between Schwartz and Alchemia?

How do I unlock the Bonus Quest between "Dusk Recon" and "Danse Macabre"?

How do I unlock the following items (Default sort order)?

Weapon:
#4, between Seraph and Archangel
#12, between Cerberus and Pegasus
#24 and #25, between Sunburst and Saturn

Shield:
#2 and #3, between Rathgrith and Aglaea (these probably have HP UP)
#13, between Gnome and Behemoth (this probably has DEFENSE UP)

Head:
Knight Badge, Guardian Badge, Hero Badge, Lord Badge, King Badge (probably acquired through ranking battles)
Rock Charm #1 (assuming that there are 4 of these in total and this one comes in the list right before the other 3)

Hands:
#2, between March Gloves and Exeter Gloves (this probably has HP UP)
#6, between Bronze Bangle and Silver Bangle (this probably has MP UP)

Ear:
#2, between Bronze Hoop and Gold-plated Hoop (this probably has HP UP)
#4, between Gold-plated Hoop and Magic Hoop (this probably has HP UP)
#28, between the third Blessed Earring and a Champion Earring (probably a damage boost against undead foes)

Koroviev

With the exception of one single 2P co-op mission, I've now cleared out literally everything available to me (Campaign with all 4 characters, all Free Play missions, all Bonus Quests except one I can't figure out how to unlock), but I still have a few gaps when it comes to unlockables. Can anyone help me figure out any of the ones below?

How do I unlock the character between Schwartz and Alchemia?

How do I unlock the Bonus Quest between "Dusk Recon" and "Danse Macabre"?

How do I unlock the following items (Default sort order)?

Weapon:
#4, between Seraph and Archangel
#12, between Cerberus and Pegasus
#24 and #25, between Sunburst and Saturn

Shield:
#2 and #3, between Rathgrith and Aglaea (these probably have HP UP)
#13, between Gnome and Behemoth (this probably has DEFENSE UP)

Head:
Knight Badge, Guardian Badge, Hero Badge, Lord Badge, King Badge (probably acquired through ranking battles)
Rock Charm #1 (assuming that there are 4 of these in total and this one comes in the list right before the other 3)

Hands:
#2, between March Gloves and Exeter Gloves (this probably has HP UP)
#6, between Bronze Bangle and Silver Bangle (this probably has MP UP)

Ear:
#2, between Bronze Hoop and Gold-plated Hoop (this probably has HP UP)
#4, between Gold-plated Hoop and Magic Hoop (this probably has HP UP)
#28, between the third Blessed Earring and a Champion Earring (probably a damage boost against undead foes)

What's your current total playtime?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Did you go with standard shipping?

2 day, said it should of been here by the 11th.

Shipment Date: October 10, 2012
Destination: MERCED, CA, US
Estimated Arrival: October 11, 2012

October 12, 2012 05:11:53 AM Stockton CA US Arrival Scan
October 12, 2012 12:00:00 AM Stockton CA US Possible delay in delivery due to extra carrier processing
October 12, 2012 12:00:00 AM --- Delivery attempted
October 11, 2012 11:38:41 PM Fremont CA US Shipment received by carrier
October 10, 2012 04:22:15 AM Phoenix AZ US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

LOL hella stupid -.-

Koroviev

2 day, said it should of been here by the 11th.

Shipment Date: October 10, 2012
Destination: MERCED, CA, US
Estimated Arrival: October 11, 2012

October 12, 2012 05:11:53 AM Stockton CA US Arrival Scan
October 12, 2012 12:00:00 AM Stockton CA US Possible delay in delivery due to extra carrier processing
October 12, 2012 12:00:00 AM --- Delivery attempted
October 11, 2012 11:38:41 PM Fremont CA US Shipment received by carrier
October 10, 2012 04:22:15 AM Phoenix AZ US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

LOL hella stupid -.-

Oh, that is strange. I've never had any issues with their 2-day shipping before :\

Busaiku

I'm guessing in order to unlock Epic Mandrake, you have to play through with Allegro, cause I have that, and he's the only character I play with.

And I'm really horrible with Epic Mandrake.

Anyone know how to deal with 4 of those big soldier guys as Allegro?
I can handle 1 or 2 (if I divide them up), but then 4, with a 5 minute limit (I might be imagining this limit, 3DS power's out right now)? I can't even touch that.

Meanwhile, Distille and those 2 guardians were nothing with Neptune.

Neptune might be the answer, just need to pump up my Piety and Vitality, I guess.

Sixfortyfive

Figured some of them out. Turned out that even though I beat the game with everyone, the ending and credits were still marked as "new" on stage select for some characters, so finishing those off gave me my last character, my last stage, and as a result of that, the first Rock Charm.

Now to figure out the rest.

Busaiku

Wait, Ali has QCF motions for moves?
How many moves does she have?

I wish Allegro had more moves.
Or at least more chains or something.
It's pretty much just BBBB or AAAA for me.

jackal27

Banned
Man oh man that difficulty spikes! I've really been struggling with the last few fights. I know that I can go grind out some levels, but I kind of wish I didn't have to.

Looking through the artbook I'm getting serious "The Sacred Blacksmith" vibes.

Only if you think all that anime looks the same. Which in a lot of cases it tends to do, but Kinu's character designs trounce that anime all day for free. I'd plug more of a Queen's Blade here. :3

I will go through the thread and add you guys during the evening.

I'm doing that. All FC should be in OP.

How does this game look and play on a regular 3DS?

Looks as good as you're going to get.

Play depends on how cozy you are with the mushy 3DS buttons. I find it a wee bit grating, but what can you do? :\

Level 99'd Solange and finished the game yesterday. Yay! 160 Attack! :3

I do have to file a complaint against the camera system at times, when it zooms very far out and I'm being dogpiled by enemies using crazy elaborate magic, and then you just can't see shit. All I see if a blur of colors because the camera is zoomed so far back and it lulls me into a state of boredom.

Kind of bummed out you can't use Drakken or Sister Hel in story mode because I'm not too keen on the other characters available in story mode. I might go through with Zozo, but she's too purple for my liking.

Need to play the rest of the free missions, then the bonus missions, and see what happens there.

Busaiku

Those huge soldier guys in groups are so terrible.
Only worse are groups of those demons that shoot those fullscreen beams.

Busaiku

It's hard for me to do anything with Allegro's B when it clashes with their wall.
His sonic boom thing is good though, but I need armor/burst to ever pull it off.

Pejo

Got my copy last night in the mail. Very Guardian Heroes-y, love it so far.

I hate playing on the regular 3DS screen though. Everything is so damn small. Also, quite a bit of slowdown in 3D mode.

Somewhat related, are the buttons and d-pad on the Big Boy 3DS more clicky / resistive than the mooshy buttons on the regular 3DS?

Better buttons might be a reason to upgrade.

Top Bottom