• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

RM8

@The Take Out Bandit: Really? I found the 3DS buttons and d-pad ultra clicky since I skipped DSi and DSi XL. Going from Lite to a 3DS the difference was huge, and while I have learned to like the clicky buttons on my 3DS I miss the mushy, Wiimote-like d-pad in some DS games.

Also, yay, my order is already in my city, just waiting for customs to charge lots of money.

How the heck am I supposed to fight 4 demons.

Aggressively!

With the business end of your pig-sticker. ;)

@The Take Out Bandit: Really? I found the 3DS buttons and d-pad ultra clicky since I skipped DSi and DSi XL. Going from Lite to a 3DS the difference was huge, and while I have learned to like the clicky buttons on my 3DS I miss the mushy, Wiimote-like d-pad in some DS games.

Odd. Mine is completely mooshy. Shoulder buttons make the double tap to dodge pointless since I can miss a beat on the second tap. The lack of button throw range probably doesn't help. Wonder if there's some inconsistent build quality going on here?

Another reason I'm looking at the big 3DS now is the BUTTONS for select, home, and start. The stupid pretendo button strip is a bit of a pain when you're playing in the dark and you want to quickly press the start button, and you simply cannot feel it so you're uncertain of where your thumb is.

You guys make it hard as fuck to not buy games at times....art books and music does too.... Amazon hooooooo

Art book just arrived today.

ZOMG!

Kinu and Bengus?!

Agatsuma has strong kung-fu! :O

Koroviev

Also, yay, my order is already in my city, just waiting for customs to charge lots of money.

Yeah, same here. The d-pad on my og 3DS is very clicky, but not in a good way. Compared to the Vita d-pad, which is also clicky, the 3DS d-pad feels very janky to me. One of the few complaints I have about the 3DS.

Yeah, same here. The d-pad on my og 3DS is very clicky, but not in a good way. Compared to the Vita d-pad, which is also clicky, the 3DS d-pad feels very janky to me. One of the few complaints I have about the 3DS.

Maybe it's just me.

I don't play fighting games, or arcade style games on pads/portables; so maybe that's the difference?

Thinking about games I play on PS3/360 with lots of button presses those tend to involve shoulder buttons which are spring loaded and provide resistance / snap.

But seriously?

How great is Kinu Nishimura?! Often imitated, never duplicated. :O

Zozo is wearing panties in the art book. Did that get changed per 6-40-5's observation?

There are a few sketches in here that aren't in the game. I wonder if these were earlier designs of existing characters, or unused characters? Sequel? :3

Koroviev

Maybe it's just me.

I don't play fighting games, or arcade style games on pads/portables; so maybe that's the difference?

Thinking about games I play on PS3/360 with lots of button presses those tend to involve shoulder buttons which are spring loaded and provide resistance / snap.

But seriously?

How great is Kinu Nishimura?! Often imitated, never duplicated. :O

Zozo is wearing panties in the art book. Did that get changed per 6-40-5's observation?

There are a few sketches in here that aren't in the game. I wonder if these were earlier designs of existing characters, or unused characters? Sequel? :3

I'm totally down for a sequel.

branny

The build quality on launch 3DSes was pretty varied from unit to unit. The first one I had (Aqua Blue) was questionably constructed--the buttons (and unit itself) were all squeaky, the hinge didn't make a clicking sound at all (I was told this was "within specifications"), the top/lid was all warped-looking, and the battery cover was bulging out. I replaced it with a Cosmo Black, and it was totally fine (not even any screen scratching/smudging issue). The only problem with it is how different the L and R buttons are--one of them makes a clicking noise, and the other is mushy. Both of them had/have clicky buttons, but I wouldn't be surprised if buttons on some of the units are mushy like the L button on my replacement.

Really considering an XL...lol. I like my Cosmo, but I can't play 3DS games for long periods without getting stabbed by the corner. It's the biggest complaint I have with the system. That, and maybe the screen being a little on the small side. And maybe how smudgy and reflective it is. Oh lawd. Maybe I do want an XL more than I thought.

I agree with this. The Vita's d-pad is so good. The edges of those cylindrical face buttons bothered me at first, but I really like them now, too.

My current 3DS has clicky buttons (not mushy, except for the L button), but they aren't exactly clicky in a good way like you said.

Koroviev

The build quality on launch 3DSes was pretty varied from unit to unit. The first one I had (Aqua Blue) was questionably constructed--the buttons (and unit itself) were all squeaky, the hinge didn't make a clicking sound at all (I was told this was "within specifications"), the top/lid was all warped-looking, and the battery cover was bulging out. I replaced it with a Cosmo Black, and it was totally fine (not even any screen scratching/smudging issue). The only problem with it is how different the L and R buttons are--one of them makes a clicking noise, and the other is mushy. Both of them had/have clicky buttons, but I wouldn't be surprised if buttons on some of the units are mushy like the L button on my replacement.

Really considering an XL...lol. I like my Cosmo, but I can't play 3DS games for long periods without getting stabbed by the corner. It's the biggest complaint I have with the system. That, and maybe the screen being a little on the small side. And maybe how smudgy and reflective it is. Oh lawd. Maybe I do want an XL more than I thought.

I agree with this. The Vita's d-pad is so good. The edges of those cylindrical face buttons bothered me at first, but I really like them now, too.

My current 3DS has clicky buttons (not mushy, except for the L button), but they aren't exactly clicky in a good way like you said.

Based on what I've heard, the 3DS XL is preferable for almost all guys and anyone else with large hands. I've never had any ergonomic issues with the original 3DS and I prefer the higher ppi.

I have a cosmo black model that I bought during the GS promotion back in August 2011. While it does have the scratching/smudging issue, the result is so negligible that I couldn't even be bothered to send it in. The fact is that I only noticed the issue while I was cleaning the 3DS screen under a lamp. So, now I just insert a single-layer microfiber cloth--something that I've always kept in my 3DS case anyway--in between the top and bottom screens. Problem solved.

Other than that, the built quality is pretty consistent. I just did a quick comparison between the d-pad on my Vita and the one on my 3DS and found that the difference seems to be primarily with respect to how much space the d-pad has. The Vita d-pad has enough space that it never touches the sides. At the same time, it's not very loose. In contrast, the 3DS d-pad almost always touches the sides and is rather loose. Thankfully no squeaking (yet?).

As far as I'm concerned, the 3DS d-pad is analogous to the Vita shoulder buttons, which feel similarly cheap and at odds with the design and quality of the rest of the system.

Busaiku

So after getting to level 99, with a whole lot of luck (the AI got stupid and decided to separate), and after almost 13 minutes, I managed to beat Dark Sovereigns.

Meanwhile, I beat The Fallen Angel in 17 seconds no problem.
5 stars? Yeah right.

BY2K

Membero Americo
BY2K - 2535-3616-8880

Got the game at the same time I got my brand new 3DS XL to replace my OG 3DS.

*OG 3DS sad face from across the room*

YOU'RE TOO SMALL, DAMN IT!

STG!

Got the game earlier today (thanks amazon!), did a whole bunch of the campaign mode, all the free play stages I opened, and some of the extra quests... Yeah, this game is quality. I didn't think there would be VA in this one, and it's pretty damn good!

Comparing it to GH which I absolutely loved, there's a few things here I rather like. The smaller stages seem to work well now that I'm seeing how the game is laid out, and it's fun trying to see how fast I can clear them. I dig that. Being able to skip the dialog is a godsend, how I would love to have this feature to speed up Kanon's lengthy speech before his fight... The items are a nice new addition, can't beat a little extra character customization.

The slowdown comparison, at least in single player with 3D turned off I don't know yet if it's better or worse, but the game seems to be running pretty much exactly like GH from what I've played so far. To me, it seems a bit better in some of the larger brawls I've been in but I guess I'll see how it goes as I progress.

I do kind of miss the branching paths, lol. :)

Just beat Story Mode with a level 59 Solange. Only had to go grind a couple times, but I think I was able to get through hiccups with smarter equipment choices and playing a bit smarter. I had trouble with the mission towards the end of the game where you fight
Alchemia
, with all of the magic beams flying everywhere.

What I found working for me in boss fights was to rush down the boss to get the lock-on, and then burst into a combo. I equipped the Super Armor ability so I don't get knocked out of my combo string.

RM8

I adore my 3DS, but build quality of early systems wasn't that awesome. I had to fix the "vertical lines" issue in mine, it was very quick and easy but still. The real downer is that every 3DS I have compared side-to-side with mine have noticeably brighter screens :(

Still, the only way I'm getting rid of my awesome aqua blue 3DS is if Nintendo brings the cobalt blue one. I have no interest in 3DS XL, personally.

branny

Best Buy is doing a $20 gift card promo with the purchase of a 3DS XL. On the other hand, there will probably be bundles on Black Friday......but buying handhelds then is a bad idea if you need to exchange for dead pixels or something.

Decisions, decisions...

Anyhoo, my copy of Code of Princess shipped. I hope you all are happy. I'll feel bad if it gets here before Q's, lol.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pow, and now I've wrapped up the campaign with Allegro as well. He's kind of annoying. I don't think I'll ever be using him again.
Two down and two more to go!
:D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
you must go deeper on the missions. If I'm not earning a level a mission, or near that, I keep trying harder ones.

This mission was hard as shit though. I barely scraped by, and like I said, 26 goddamn minutes. The Treants just kept coming and coming, and I could barely do any damage to them at all. It was so boring just poking away at them for what felt like forever. I was sure I'd gain more than one level. Had I known I would have only gained one, I'd have quit and used someone else.

Bururian

This mission was hard as shit though. I barely scraped by, and like I said, 26 goddamn minutes. The Treants just kept coming and coming, and I could barely do any damage to them at all. It was so boring just poking away at them for what felt like forever. I was sure I'd gain more than one level. Had I known I would have only gained one, I'd have quit and used someone else.

Which mission and what level is Zozo?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think I'm done with this. Between Juppongi making me want to throw my 3DS into a wall and everything just being so goddamn small that I literally cannot tell what's going on onscreen, I just can't play it anymore. =/

I think I'm done with this. Between Juppongi making me want to throw my 3DS into a wall and everything just being so goddamn small that I literally cannot tell what's going on onscreen, I just can't play it anymore. =/

Grind up your level then beast on him.

The most annoying part of the fight with him for me was getting in stabbing range. Outside of that it was amusing watching his foolish attempts to defeat me. >:D

Posting this for someone else, 8bit4life:
0130-1951-8180 < His friend code, with the request that people add him.

Sure. . . a friend. I know what you know and know about those Euro videos. This game is all kinds of Kaboooo approved. ^_^

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Grind up your level then beast on him.

The most annoying part of the fight with him for me was getting in stabbing range. Outside of that it was amusing watching his foolish attempts to defeat me. >:D

Yeah, I actually did figure out the best way to beat him with all four characters. He's not so bad now.

Buuuuuut...now I've made it up to the
dragons
. Fuck. And I thought Juppongi was bad. I can barely even touch these things. EDIT:
Guess I only have to survive, not win. That makes things easier

Also, am I SUPPOSED to be gaining like three levels per stage in Campaign? Makes me feel like I'm quite a bit underleveled.

Bururian

I'm usually gaining a level and a half per mission. I've come to a mission where I'm getting floored thanks to constant paralysis by enemies. Time to grind some.

Giolon

For the having trouble, Remember that there are items that can help with almost anything that's giving you grief. If you're getting paralyzed, get an item with paralysis immunity. If the boss is kicking your ass, equip some high-level slayer and boss slayer items. With certain equipment combinations, and some judicious bursting, I was able to take on some bosses that initially beat me down and kill them and four hits -- all without level grinding.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real secret I think is to get your attack or mind stat for magic characters up to about sixty or so before juking up anything else and then putting a bunch of points into piety, speed, hp, and defence roughly in that order, all the while adding five to ten points to your attack stat.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Welp, beaten. The credits are rolling now. :lol Finished with a Lv. 39 Solange. Last boss wasn't really that bad. Definitely not as frustrating as some of the earlier stages. It kinda feels like they compensated for people saying the original release was too easy by making the US version quite a bit harder. Still, really like the game, and will definitely be playing through the bonus missions.

Also, apparently the actual development was handled by these guys.. Seems to be another TOSE-style shadow developer.

massoluk

Banned
Beaten campaign with Allegro at level 49. I'm quite convinced I just beat the game with the cheapest character. Mostly just use two moves (down A, and BBBBBBBBBB). The last boss was a cake walk, I just rolled over it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Beaten campaign with Allegro at level 49. I'm quite convinced I just beat the game with the cheapest character. Mostly just use two moves (down A, and BBBBBBBBBB).

Absolutely true. Well, the cheapest out of the starting four. Some of the multiplayer/free play only people are pretty radnuts.

duckroll

Beat the game. Kinda disappointed with the way the main campaign was handled. They could have had unique paths for the 4 characters at least, and branching stuff like Guardian Heroes. Instead it's just one linear quest with a mix of some good stages and bosses and some pretty lame/boring ones. The Bonus Quests seem much more interesting and better designed though, so I'll be checking those out later.

I really wish they created and balanced some unique character-centric content. It seems like a waste to have all these characters playable and not have any stages designed specifically for them to tackle based on their play styles. Meh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Beat the game. Kinda disappointed with the way the main campaign was handled. They could have had unique paths for the 4 characters at least, and branching stuff like Guardian Heroes. Instead it's just one linear quest with a mix of some good stages and bosses and some pretty lame/boring ones. The Bonus Quests seem much more interesting and better designed though, so I'll be checking those out later.

Those are kind of uneven. Some that you'd think would be brutal are absolute jokes while others that have low difficulty stars or sound harmless are annoying as hell.

That being said I think this game cries out for a sequel. The base is so good and the concept is perfect but like a lot of these smaller cultish games it needs some polish.

I really wish they created and balanced some unique character-centric content. It seems like a waste to have all these characters playable and not have any stages designed specifically for them to tackle based on their play styles. Meh.

Maybe a sequel?

I really wish I could play Sister Hell or Mr.T in story mode. :\

As a maiden voyage, it's solid.

Does anybody know if the Tank Buster (armor breaking) items work against
The Code Guardian that possessed Liongate?

kunonabi

finished the campaign and free play. I also did all the bonus quest up till the first missing one.

I'll probably grind the main cast to 99 but I'm not going to bother with the npcs since they have such gimped movesets. I still have to unlock some characters and three bonus quests.

I get the feeling the co-op quests are separate so I'll need to do those too.

CoP is looking to be one of my most played 3DS games.

FC is:
2664-2108-7269

Yeah maybe they can improve on more stuff in a sequel, but I dunno if it sold well enough to get one...

This is an exercise in quantum mechanics.

I bought an extra copy to support Atlus and speculatively cash-in at a later date. I also have incredibly shit luck.

So if a sequel isn't made, then my shit luck is finally crushed. Minor profit!

If a sequel does get made, my speculative cash-in is crushed by a superior product, and the string of shit luck continues. :D

All we can do is spread the word and hope it's enough for Atlus to localize the sequel. I've been hyping it up to my old high school buddies with fond memories of Valis and other hot anime girl hack'n slash games of yore.

How did the game sell in Japan? That should probably be what we're more concerned with in terms of an actual sequel.

Top Bottom