• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

soultron

Banned
What?!

Why would you not play best genre?! :O

Guardian Heroes, and hopefully Code of Princess involve a bit more thought and strategy than a Final Fight or Streets of Rage thanks to plane shifting and special attacks. Plus the character growth options make it feel a little more personalized.

Not to knock FF or SoR, I'd still play those over CoD or MGS any day of the week. Every day.

All day.

For free. :3

You've also not lived until you've played a Treasure beat 'em up.

Ramune

Gah... I don't even have a 3DS but I think I'm going to pre-order and find a system later. Guardian Heroes is my favorite game. Like not just my favorite Saturn game or my favorite beat em' up, but my favorite videogame period.

Exactly what I did! If you know your getting the system eventually, best to get the games now so you'll have something to play when the time comes! The pedigree this game has labeled itself a "Ramune" game! Waiting for the white XL. Probably during the holiday season as a limited bundle I'm thinking....

Exactly what I did! If you know your getting the system eventually, best to get the games now so you'll have something to play when the time comes! The pedigree this game has labeled itself a "Ramune" game! Waiting for the white XL. Probably during the holiday season as a limited bundle I'm thinking....

Shit. Yeah, I think I may drop by GS after work and put down $15 to pre-order. I can scrape together the rest by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Jarsonot

So how much do characters level up/learn new abilities?

Is every level the same format - progress to the right, killing all enemies in the way?

So I suppose the big draw for replay value is unlocking more characters and/or leveling up your roster. And of course, online play. But do I have the gist of it - the 100 "quests" are different sidescrolling levels populated with different combinations of monsters to kill?

Alboreo

What?!

Why would you not play best genre?! :O

Because I've apparently lived a very unprivileged life! :p

Guardian Heroes, and hopefully Code of Princess involve a bit more thought and strategy than a Final Fight or Streets of Rage thanks to plane shifting and special attacks. Plus the character growth options make it feel a little more personalized.

Not to knock FF or SoR, I'd still play those over CoD or MGS any day of the week. Every day.

All day.

For free. :3

As long as it has a bit of strategy I should be content, so that sounds good. Thank you! My hype is returning.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm glad EO IV was announced and am very glad this game is coming out so soon.

Newegg is pretty good about shipping things near release but I wouldn't mind if it showed up a bit later because I'll probably be hip deep into Pokemon.

OmegaZero

So how much do characters level up/learn new abilities?

Is every level the same format - progress to the right, killing all enemies in the way?

So I suppose the big draw for replay value is unlocking more characters and/or leveling up your roster. And of course, online play. But do I have the gist of it - the 100 "quests" are different sidescrolling levels populated with different combinations of monsters to kill?

-You don't really learn new attacks or anything. You can equip items like weapons and armor that change your stats, and you can use points to level up attributes of your character like attack, speed, defense, ect.

-As far as I can tell, every level is a contained arena. No side scrolling. You just eliminate all enemies in an area to continue on to another mission.

-I'm assuming, based on my previous experiences with 2D Treasure games, that there will be missions that give you more complicated objectives then "kill all enemies in this room".

OmegaZero

Has anyone here played the Japanese version? How bad were the framerare issues? Was there ever any patch?

3DS games rarely get patches.
Anyway, according to CVG's review of the JP version:
Unfortunately, it's also cursed with some stuttering slow-down that turns the game into a much-less-wondrous flickbook. The static levels are never swamped with action so it's hard to understand why this should be. Whatever the cause, it's to the detriment of the fighting, which tends to the sluggish anyway. It's the game that struggles to keep up with the action rather than you.

Been procrastinating on preordering the game and now I had to pay for one-day shipping on Amazon to get the game on its release day. Well whatever, it's worth it.

Has anyone here played the Japanese version? How bad were the framerare issues? Was there ever any patch?

Doesn't anybody read the OP?

Oh wait, they just bitch and moan about it. ^_^

Speaking of OP, anybody that wants to have their whatever Nintendo does for internet shit listed in the OP let me know.

I guess SNK is releasing the Neo*Geo X just so Nintendo can look like they have a wildly competent online system by comparison? :p

Sorry. I'm still damn salty about how online is being handled. >:|

Doesn't anybody read the OP?

Oh wait, they just bitch and moan about it. ^_^

Speaking of OP, anybody that wants to have their whatever Nintendo does for internet shit listed in the OP let me know.

I guess SNK is releasing the Neo*Geo X just so Nintendo can look like they have a wildly competent online system by comparison? :p

Sorry. I'm still damn salty about how online is being handled. >:|
Well at least we only have one Friend code per system, not one per game like with the DS

Wait, what's wrong with the online?

SBigh.jpg

I AM NOT A NUMBER!

I AM A FREE MAN!

Sweet, mine is

Code 3093 7105 8075
Name Worthtendo

My body is ready for this game, can't wait to have it either next week or the week after depending on how quick Amazon ship it out to me

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The developer told me by email that they are still "pending" with the agreement for the Euroepan publisher and that they'll not hit the PAL market this year :(

Arla

The RPG elements are extremely light, so light there is no point in asking informative questions about them.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I've been waiting for this game quite eagerly. I can't wait to pick this up on Tuesday and grind the heck out of it. I hope they have enough unique stages and missions because it seems like a game that could greatly benefit from downloadable content.

I heard a reviewer say that this game has some of the same developers who worked on Guardian Heroes. Is that true?

EDIT: I really did skip the OP before I posted lol. Treasure confirmed.

Guardian Heroes, so signs point to the former. I loved GH, but it did get repetitive quick.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless.

Complaints about repetition in beat'em ups are pretty common from folks who don't enjoy the genre sadly.

A good beat'em up is about optimizing the amount of asses you can kick effectively and crowd control. Crowd control became more prominent with entries like Guardian Heroes and the Musou games.

If kicking endless asses, all day until the cows come home doesn't appeal to you, then you may be better off elsewhere.

Sadly my video game ADD doesn't work against the common beat'em up genre tropes. Where it does work against other games that try to add more fighting game mechanics to beat'em ups with sparse waves of enemies, and why should I bother with advanced attacks when stab, stab, murder-in-the-face works just as well? :3

I desire constantly changing battlefield conditions and a bit of player customization and I'm good.

Damn, I sent in my 3DS to get the L button fixed (getting it back in three or so days).
I'll post my FC later then.

Get on it! :D

I don't want to bring doom and gloom to the thread as I'm sure many of you will enjoy this, but it was certainly one of my most disappointing games of the year. That isn't to say it's a "bad" game, but it just isn't very good. If you are expecting anything Guardian Heroes/Treasure level, well, I'd recommend you bring your expectations down many a notch.

The action moves at a snails pace and never feels very fluid. Most of the levels are 1-3 minute "chunks" and nothing you could actually call levels. I was hoping to at least have levels/stages like a traditional beat-em-up, but this is more like popping into a random area, killing some stuff, and suddenly the stage is clear. Watch a few minutes of zany story, and repeat. Many of the enemies later on become a chore due to the way the lock-on system and MP work.

I did make a video when the game came out (not sure if it was posted in here or not):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f61BhLzheo

So feel free to check it out if you are on the fence.

You did not choose Zozo, therefor your opinion is invalid. No, seriously, thanks for the video.

It looks exactly like I expected it would, I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Shame it bummed you out, I never played GH so I only sorta know in general what to expect, maybe it looks better to me because of that.

I don't want to bring doom and gloom to the thread as I'm sure many of you will enjoy this, but it was certainly one of my most disappointing games of the year. That isn't to say it's a "bad" game, but it just isn't very good. If you are expecting anything Guardian Heroes/Treasure level, well, I'd recommend you bring your expectations down many a notch.

The action moves at a snails pace and never feels very fluid. Most of the levels are 1-3 minute "chunks" and nothing you could actually call levels. I was hoping to at least have levels/stages like a traditional beat-em-up, but this is more like popping into a random area, killing some stuff, and suddenly the stage is clear. Watch a few minutes of zany story, and repeat. Many of the enemies later on become a chore due to the way the lock-on system and MP work.

I did make a video when the game came out (not sure if it was posted in here or not):

I'm mildly disappointed that you can't keep juggling fallen enemies. That's one thing I enjoyed about the Ikkitousen PSP beat'em ups. Seeing if I can get a juggle train going with my fallen foes. :p

Eusis

They are promising to update it for US release, but I have a feeling there's only so much you can do. Combined with the fact you basically need to be at least like Guardian Heroes to make me think you're genuinely worth more than $5 and... yeah, I'll probably pass in favor of Dishonored and Retro City Rampage.

I was on the fence about this game, but the combination of unappealing character designs and TwentyTwo's review practically pushed this to the very back of my 3DS to-buy list. My only hesitation is that the game will be out of print by the time I get around to it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Complaints about repetition in beat'em ups are pretty common from folks who don't enjoy the genre sadly.

Heh, I've been avoiding saying such a thing, but it is how I generally feel. If I can control the battlefield with a solid array of moves, "repetition" and "Beat-em-up" don't mix. I get more bored in shooters, with samey-corridor shooting, a low amount of enemey control (Shoot him in the ankles... oh.. it killed him. Yay? Why can't I shoot the guns out of his hands?), and the samey looking enemies (Look, I'm a humanoid, fighting... more humanoids! WOW!)

If you are expecting anything Guardian Heroes/Treasure level, well, I'd recommend you bring your expectations down many a notch.

It's forever going to be impossible to meet GH's high standards, haha. But yeah... I think, for me and my brother, as long as it's a bit better than Advance Guardian Heroes, we'd be happy!

The action moves at a snails pace and never feels very fluid. Most of the levels are 1-3 minute "chunks" and nothing you could actually call levels. I was hoping to at least have levels/stages like a traditional beat-em-up, but this is more like popping into a random area, killing some stuff, and suddenly the stage is clear. Watch a few minutes of zany story, and repeat.

This actually sounds very nice for a portable BEU. This'd make it easier to play whenever you get a moment, rather than getting stuck in 15+ minute expanses that just go on and on, or are long enough to need checkpoints.

The way you went from Ground combo -> Juggle -> Dive attack -> juggle looked fluid enough to me, btw. But I could see how a person would want more speed.

You seemed to like it more in the vid, I guess it just wore out it's welcome after time moved on, eh?

OmegaZero

Thanks for the impressions.
I'm already fairly familiar with the level structure and combat, so maybe going in knowing what to expect will help.
But yeah, I don't think anyone's really expecting it to be as good or better then GH.

Right?

EDIT: Also, I just finished watching the video. I wasn't really expecting much in ters of the story but the way you described it has made me interested.
Hype +1.

Koroviev

Thanks for the impressions.
I'm already fairly familiar with the level structure and combat, so maybe going in knowing what to expect will help.
But yeah, I don't think anyone's really expecting it to be as good or better then GH.

Right?

While the game looks pretty fun, attacks do seem rather "sticky." It seems like they could have reduced the attack time for light attacks. The animation makes it look like they should be doing much more damage.

Heh, I've been avoiding saying such a thing, but it is how I generally feel. If I can control the battlefield with a solid array of moves, "repetition" and "Beat-em-up" don't mix. I get more bored in shooters, with samey-corridor shooting, a low amount of enemey control (Shoot him in the ankles... oh.. it killed him. Yay? Why can't I shoot the guns out of his hands?), and the samey looking enemies (Look, I'm a humanoid, fighting... more humanoids! WOW!)

Yeah.

I attribute it to coming from the pre-Playstation generation of gaming and arcades which featured games which were more of the same and repetition at 25¢ a play. :p

Certain franchises and developers, who rehash the same game with a different protagonist at different publishers, are heralded for their technical proficiency with the fighting mechanics; but when I play those games the fights are never really a challenge and the enemies are no smarter than your average beat'em up foe. Yes I can do more attacks if I choose to, but why should I when this attack works just as well? For a performance grade? Not interested. I signed on to stab dudes in the face and that's what I'm here to do.

Then they "break the monotony" by introducing awful "puzzles" or other arbitrary game play mechanics that younger players may appreciate as a break from stabbing dudes in the face; but for my tastes these things just get in the way and add nothing to my experience.

If you're going to introduce random puzzles, do it in a way that uses the core game mechanic of stabbing things. Not random gem puzzles, or wasting my time scouring your rendered backgrounds to locate the one interactive object.

Ugh. . .

Yeah.

Just put me and my axe on the battlefield and 10,000 enemies between me and my goal. <3 <3 <3

Or just let me punch gang chicks to get a peek of sweet, sweet pixely underboob. :3

OmegaZero

While the game looks pretty fun, attacks do seem rather "sticky." It seems like they could have reduced the attack time for light attacks. The animation makes it look like they should be doing much more damage.

Well, maybe one of the balance changes was tweaked damage or attack speed.
Either way, the combat is pretty slow-paced.

zroid

Banned
Well I decided to pre-order this. I'm still not sure if I really want it, but this ultra low print run talk is giving me the frights. I figure it's better to have a copy in hand now and return it later than be unable to get it at all.

Plus I can get a $5 discount by pre-ordering, so yep.

Well I decided to pre-order this. I'm still not sure if I really want it, but this ultra low print run talk is giving me the frights. I figure it's better to have a copy in hand now and return it later than be unable to get it at all.

Plus I can get a $5 discount by pre-ordering, so yep.

Is this something other interested parties can take advantage of?

Top Bottom