• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

Yuterald

I have this game reserved, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up or not. I'm a fan of brawler games, 2D stuff, Guardian Heroes, Treasure games (although I know it's former members), etc. but I'm not too hot on the level/scenario/quest design. So, the stages just consist of enemy challenges? It's more of a battle arena kind of game? No side scrolling portions with traps or hazards? I've always been interested in this game, but I guess the hook is all in the combat mechanics, short "questing", and character customization? I'm so tight on money right now, but I'd rather support/buy something that is going to become relatively rare. I guess I'll make my decision when the time comes...

Most of the levels are 1-3 minute "chunks" and nothing you could actually call levels. I was hoping to at least have levels/stages like a traditional beat-em-up, but this is more like popping into a random area, killing some stuff, and suddenly the stage is clear. Watch a few minutes of zany story, and repeat.

Shit, so it's one of those arena beat-em ups? That's disappointing. Least I know this ahead of time to avoid being let down.

I did not know this. Pre-ordered!

I still want the game even after seeing that,besides that if we don't support atlus they'll never even try to bring over other titles that are niche. Besides I need more 3ds games that are fun so this still fits the bill.

Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

Friends codes! Get your numbers in! All aboard this hype train sons and daughters!

This just made the wait harder.

It certainly made something harder! :3

ohlawd

hey Zeer0id is the Best Buy 5 dollar preorder discount online only?

nice official unboxing. Atlus really deserves every single dollar they get <3

Mrbob

Am I wrong to think this looks like 2D Dynasty Warriors?

Have two copies on pre order from Newegg. One for me and one for a friend! Can't wait!

I pre-ordered this, but after reading about how it's more arena-based, and watching that youtube video of how the game is structured, I have to say, I'm not as excited as before. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I pre-ordered this, but after reading about how it's more arena-based, and watching that youtube video of how the game is structured, I have to say, I'm not as excited as before. :(

I don't know why this is really bothering anyone. Guardian Heroes, let alone things like Final Fight, were pretty much just elongated "Arena Screens" anywho. There was no platforming, no puzzles to solve... Just straight-shots of the same screens, with some occassional transition anmations to make the game feel "connected".

GH's offered very little graphical transitions between areas. The Town lead to the graveyard at maps end, and... the spirits would teleport you around. Otherwise, most maps were only connected by the conversations that took place between characters, while moving on.

And it still sounds great for the portable space. Like the perfect pick-up-and-play game for when you have just a few minutes. Generally, a puzzle game, or a rhythm game fills this kind of area, but I welcome a beat 'em up to jump into this space as well!

Not Nintendo bashing, but I'd be lying if I said part of my excitement isn't just for the fact that my 3DS isn't going to be sitting in a drawer awaiting something I'm really interested in for a change.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Same on all accounts. I'm definitely a bit less enthused about this than I was before.

HyperHip

I don't know why this is really bothering anyone. Guardian Heroes, let alone things like Final Fight, were pretty much just elongated "Arena Screens" anywho. There was no platforming, no puzzles to solve... Just straight-shots of the same screens, with some occassional transition anmations to make the game feel "connected".

GH's offered very little graphical transitions between areas. The Town lead to the graveyard at maps end, and... the spirits would teleport you around. Otherwise, most maps were only connected by the conversations that took place between characters, while moving on.

And it still sounds great for the portable space. Like the perfect pick-up-and-play game for when you have just a few minutes. Generally, a puzzle game, or a rhythm game fills this kind of area, but I welcome a beat 'em up to jump into this space as well!

Agreed completely, I actually enjoyed how the level structure in this game was. It definitely gave off the vibe of a portable beat em' up; something you can play in short burst if you want to.

Now if they could only do something about the framerate, dumb AI, and PvP...Don't let me down Agatsuma!

cj_iwakura

Not Nintendo bashing, but I'd be lying if I said part of my excitement isn't just for the fact that my 3DS isn't going to be sitting in a drawer awaiting something I'm really interested in for a change.

I feel that way too, but Virtue's Last Reward is very soon, and that's much more of a $40 game than this.

Sushigod7

So to the people who have played the Japanese version how many different "arena's" are there? The videos have only shown 4 maybe? I'm on the fence I cancelled my preorder last week thinking I don't need this in the backlog. Then I just listened to a bunch of music and I'm almost ready to do it.

hongcha

So to the people who have played the Japanese version how many different "arena's" are there? The videos have only shown 4 maybe? I'm on the fence I cancelled my preorder last week thinking I don't need this in the backlog. Then I just listened to a bunch of music and I'm almost ready to do it.

I've only played an hour or so, but in story mode you have a new map with each segment of the story. Clear it (which usually only takes 5 minutes or less), and then you get pushed back to the title screen (which is really weird). Then you go back into story mode and go the next one. I've cleared about 10 maps so far, and I'm far from the end.

It's good for bite-sized gaming on the go, but it feels disjointed when playing for an extended session. I don't know, maybe they changed the "pushed back to the title screen after clearing a map" thing in the USA version.

BTW this game is not nearly as good as Guardian Heroes, so if you're hoping it's on par with that you will be disappointed. Also the game is ridiculously easy so far.

I feel that way too, but Virtue's Last Reward is very soon, and that's much more of a $40 game than this.

I picked up a 3DS for this game. :X

BTW this game is not nearly as good as Guardian Heroes, so if you're hoping it's on par with that you will be disappointed. Also the game is ridiculously easy so far.

I'm not expecting Guardian Heroes, but I am expecting a competent maiden voyage from a brand new game developer that's smart about hiring.

Are there difficulty settings to adjust the game challenge?

Having a similar conflict. I had the game on pre-order for $30 from Newegg, but cancelled 2 weeks ago when I realized how many games I wanted this fall. I'm regretting it a bit now that we get closer to launch though.

olimpia84

I hope Newegg delivers this game fast this time (took a damn week to get Kirby but only 3 days to get RE6, go figure)

Arena beat em up?

Don't know about that. Was hoping for more of a side-scrolling beat em up with some platforming.

Was interested because it was from Atlus. After reading the description of the gameplay, I think I'm going to pass for now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Arena beat em up?

Don't know about that. Was hoping for more of a side-scrolling beat em up with some platforming.

The closest you'll find to that, from Treasure-peeps, is Advanced Guardian Heroes on GBA. It's a much more traditional Platform/BEU Hybrid in that it has falling platform segments, boss battles aganist non-humanoids, and a lot of mini-game-ish bonuses like riding on rockets through the air, or reflecting shots back at enemy gunboats in the background. Full on scrolling, with a lot of varied situations to break up the beating-ups.

This game takes some inspirations from that game, too (That powerup burst mode is straight out of AGH), but, thankful to GH fans, it stays closer to GH's original forumla, rather than attempting to derive itself from other BEUs.

Top Bottom