• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 5| Games resume this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep picking the Techies to beat Beamer ball. I think when I thought of Logan Thomas and then I remembered the term "Beamer ball" and what a bullshit term that is, that reinforced my original pick.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep picking the Techies to beat Beamer ball. I think when I thought of Logan Thomas and then I remembered the term "Beamer ball" and what a bullshit term that is, that reinforced my original pick.

Especially this year. Beamer Ball is supposed to mean damn good special teams, but VT's special teams suck this year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 10
South Carolina @ UCF by 5
SMU @ TCU by 14
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 7
LSU @ Georgia by 6
Florida State @ Boston College by 21
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 7
Iowa @ Minnesota by 7
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 4
Arizona @ Washington by 7
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 14
USC @ Arizona State by 4

eznark

Banned
The System is hilarious. Kiffin personally involved in pimping co-ed's is just the most obvious thing in the world. I guess that's why Bielema keeps applying for positions at USC.

andycapps

Especially this year. Beamer Ball is supposed to mean damn good special teams, but VT's special teams suck this year.

To me it means damn good special teams and defense. And like you mentioned, they haven't had good special teams this year. Defense is statistically good, but the only good team they lost to, they gave up 35 points to.

mre said:
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 4

WAT

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 10
South Carolina @ UCF by 5
SMU @ TCU by 14
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 7
LSU @ Georgia by 6
Florida State @ Boston College by 21
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 7
Iowa @ Minnesota by 7
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 4
Arizona @ Washington by 7
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 14
USC @ Arizona State by 4

Are you just risking it this week picking UCF and Ole Miss in an attempt to pull ahead in the pick 'em, assuming that if you get them both wrong this week will just be dropped anyway?

KingGondo

Banned
The System is hilarious. Kiffin personally involved in pimping co-ed's is just the most obvious thing in the world. I guess that's why Bielema keeps applying for positions at USC.
So it's worth reading?

I'm all scandaled out after the SI series on OSU.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are you just risking it this week picking UCF and Ole Miss in an attempt to pull ahead in the pick 'em, assuming that if you get them both wrong this week will just be dropped anyway?

Both of those are pretty fair picks, I wouldn't say either are very risky. South Carolina and Bama are both worse than they're given credit for.

mre

I'm a man of my word. I said that I was picking Ole Miss, so I am. I'm worried about our secondary's ability to cover their receivers. Thankfully, Brother Bo is no Manziel, but still, it's a mismatch I do not like.
I think my UCF pick is less controversial than my USCLA pick.
I picked UCF. It isn't that far out there.
Word.

Ohio States doing an all out blitz trying to get the student to stop chanting "Rip his fucking head off" right after kickoffs. Block O has been sending out emails trying to change the chant, OSU just released a video of Urban telling them to do the new chant and not the old one.

Wont work, they tried this 3 years ago too. But if they would just rip a guys head off for once im sure they would stop.

I want to pick UCF but I just don't think they are quite there yet. They look good on paper but their only quality win is against Penn State, and I'm not even sure that counts as "quality" since Penn State hasn't beaten anybody of substance this year (Syracuse, E Michigan, and Kent St). UCF's other two victories are over Akron and FIU, two teams that are a combined 1-7 on the year (only win is Akron over James Madison).

Ohio States doing an all out blitz trying to get the student to stop chanting "Rip his fucking head off" right after kickoffs. Block O has been sending out emails trying to change the chant, OSU just released a video of Urban telling them to do the new chant and not the old one.

Wont work, they tried this 3 years ago too. But if they would just rip a guys head off for once im sure they would stop.

Are-You-Not-Entertained-Gladiator.gif

mre

I want to pick UCF but I just don't think they are quite there yet. They look good on paper but their only quality win is against Penn State, and I'm not even sure that counts as "quality" since Penn State hasn't beaten anybody of substance this year (Syracuse, E Michigan, and Kent St). UCF's other two victories are over Akron and FIU, two teams that are a combined 1-7 on the year (only win is Akron over James Madison).
Not that Michigan is a world beater this year, but Akron almost beat them in the big house. They're a decent little football team.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Just quoting the picture I put up in last month's thread because there is BREAKING CRITICAL NEWS about the Baylor tarp that covers up those endzone seats -

CraigSmoak said:
Baylor AD Ian McCaw officially confirms the tarp will be off for the Floyd Casey finale vs. Texas on Dec. 7th. #SicEm

Wonder how long it's been since they've actually removed that. It was installed in 2004.

Naturally, all of this means the Tarp has a Twitter account now.

Baylor Tarp said:
No one can hear you scream under me. Ask Craig James. Things get a little #DarkunderTheTarp

andycapps

Reverse mojo or something.

I did that last year for the Florida game. I'm thinking about doing that as well for this one.

I'm a man of my word. I said that I was picking Ole Miss, so I am. I'm worried about our secondary's ability to cover their receivers. Thankfully, Brother Bo is no Manziel, but still, it's a mismatch I do not like.

I think my UCF pick is less controversial than my USCLA pick.

Word.

I don't think the receivers will be as open as you think they will be. If you can beat A&M on the road, then I don't think you need to worry about Ole Miss at home. But I can understand being pessimistic. I am too.

I'm going to the UCF game! I expect it to be a decent game to watch. The cocks secondary is awful but I don't know if UCF can hang with Carolina's offense. I guess we'll see.

Not that Michigan is a world beater this year, but Akron almost beat them in the big house. They're a decent little football team.

I will say I was surprised at how big & athletic they were. It's a real "D1" team. Still had no business being in that game though, and they promptly lost to ULL last week just to rub it in my face.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Not that it isn't a general problem for all games.

Still the thing people have been saying for years now is really starting to ring true. Hard to get people to come to those games when you are playing generic north east state u for your out of conference game. It is the same for everyone in those games.

With more and more things for people to do in their lives and a better and better TV experience it's only gonna get worse the longer the big dawgs keep playing scrub out of conference schools. (pun intended).

andycapps

Eh, stop scheduling North Texas and they won't have a problem with that. There was no issue with student attendance at the South Carolina game and I doubt there will be this week against LSU. They did reduce student tickets some and gave those to new graduates in an effort to have this problem be reduced.

The problem with student tickets is that they're linked to their ID's and they can get them reassigned to another student, but a lot of them probably just don't do that if they don't want to go to the game. And they can't sell them to alumni.

jagowar

Eh, stop scheduling North Texas and they won't have a problem with that. There was no issue with student attendance at the South Carolina game and I doubt there will be this week against LSU. They did reduce student tickets some and gave those to new graduates in an effort to have this problem be reduced.

The problem with student tickets is that they're linked to their ID's and they can get them reassigned to another student, but a lot of them probably just don't do that if they don't want to go to the game. And they can't sell them to alumni.

You need to schedule a few easy games each year just so you can try out some different ideas and players and usually still win the game. Especially early in the season since there is no preseason in college football.

I think the better way to "encourage" students to attend all the games is to give people that do go to all or most of the games priority for the big games. I think more people would attend games like north texas if it meant they had a better seat for lsu/south carolina. As an example let people who have not missed a game go in 5 mins before everybody else.

mre

Is this some next-level shit where later in the season, when Bama is still undefeated and people are questioning their schedule, you can say "but I was seriously worried about Ole Miss, look at this old post!"

Ole Miss, man. Ole fucking Miss.
Let's ask Texas about Mississippi.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Ding ding. Students couldn't give a shit about going to see North Texas. News at 11.

When a quarter of your season every year can be looked at as an auto win before the season starts because of playing scrubs don't wonder why you have attendance problems.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is this some next-level shit where later in the season, when Bama is still undefeated and people are questioning their schedule, you can say "but I was seriously worried about Ole Miss, look at this old post!"

Ole Miss, man. Ole fucking Miss.

This would have to be week 11 or earlier, right?

cdyhybrid

mre and Lonestar are getting their reverse jinx on. But I do think they're actually worried. They're just hedging their bets.

Ding ding. Students couldn't give a shit about going to see North Texas. News at 11.

When a quarter of your season every year can be looked at as an auto win before the season starts because of playing scrubs don't wonder why you have attendance problems.

This. And also the crazy prices inside the stadium. Why pay four bucks for a soda when you can drink more beer for that same price at home.

andycapps

You need to schedule a few easy games each year just so you can try out some different ideas and players and usually still win the game. Especially early in the season since there is no preseason in college football.

I think the better way to "encourage" students to attend all the games is to give people that do go to all or most of the games priority for the big games. I think more people would attend games like north texas if it meant they had a better seat for lsu/south carolina. As an example let people who have not missed a game go in 5 mins before everybody else.

Better seating in the student section? LOL. There is assigned seating in the student section but unless it's changed since I was there, and from some quotes from that article, it hasn't.. you fit in anywhere you can. If you're smart and want good seats you get there early. But yeah, giving students an incentive to come is definitely the way to go. Maybe you just let students have access to the wifi there. Heck, it'd probably help cell service for everyone else.

Maybe you give them ticket priority for bowl games if they come to every game, or certain ones. It's annoying to watch on TV, but I can't blame the students for not wanting to see a directional school.

I'm thinking I might need to copy the Bammers and get my reverse jinx on. It worked for me last year.

mcgruber

Uh, no. Did you miss the part where they're an SEC team? That is an SEC defense my friend. SEC speed, SEC size, SEC strength.

In case the previous paragraph wasn't clear, that means they're amazing on defense.

the players were recruited to play in the big 12, that makes them a big 12 defense. That means they're nonexistent

Talon

It amazes me that people exist on this forum of all places that don't understand that phones connect to wireless networks automatically.

andycapps

Screw it..

LSU @ Georgia by 6

I don't know how we can possibly hang with LSU. Their line is so big on both sides, Odell Beckham, Mettenberger, Jeremy Hill fill me with terror.

Talon said:
It amazes me that people exist on this forum of all places that don't understand that phones connect to wireless networks automatically.

Is that for me?

jagowar

Better seating in the student section? LOL. There is assigned seating in the student section but unless it's changed since I was there, and from some quotes from that article, it hasn't.. you fit in anywhere you can. If you're smart and want good seats you get there early. But yeah, giving students an incentive to come is definitely the way to go. Maybe you just let students have access to the wifi there. Heck, it'd probably help cell service for everyone else.

Maybe you give them ticket priority for bowl games if they come to every game, or certain ones. It's annoying to watch on TV, but I can't blame the students for not wanting to see a directional school.

I'm thinking I might need to copy the Bammers and get my reverse jinx on. It worked for me last year.

At a&m there is assigned seating for students but I know most places its a free for all.... but even that could be an incentive. All you would need to do is let those that have not missed a game in 15 mins before everybody else so they get the best seats. Would not matter for the directional schools but for the bigger games I could see most of the student section being filled before the general population could get in which would make it a significant reward since those are the games people really want to see. There are a ton of ways you could reward students for attending the crappy games, your bowl game idea is another good one.

Talon

At a&m there is assigned seating for students but I know most places its a free for all.... but even that could be an incentive. All you would need to do is let those that have not missed a game in 15 mins before everybody else so they get the best seats. Would not matter for the directional schools but for the bigger games I could see most of the student section being filled before the general population could get in which would make it a significant reward since those are the games people really want to see. There are a ton of ways you could reward students for attending the crappy games, your bowl game idea is another good one.
Michigan just started doing it this year because the students have a reputation for filing in drunk after the start of the 2nd quarter.

Poor solution because now groups have a harder time sitting together. And clearly it didn't work with that Akron crowd.

razielim

Hoping Huskers can hold the Bye week to under 475 yds this week.

GAF Pick'em Week 5 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech by 8
South Carolina @ UCF by 16
SMU @ TCU by 6
Virginia @ Pittsburgh by 4
LSU @ Georgia by 6
Florida State @ Boston College by 8
Oklahoma @ Notre Dame by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Ole Miss @ Alabama by 15
Arizona @ Washington by 8
Wisconsin @ Ohio State by 13
USC @ Arizona State by 8

Michigan just started doing it this year because the students have a reputation for filing in drunk after the start of the 2nd quarter.

Poor solution because now groups have a harder time sitting together. And clearly it didn't work with that Akron crowd.

FSU used to give out assigned seats when I went there. It was chaos. Smart people would get tickets as a group (one person could turn in up to 10 vouchers so friends could sit together, and student orgs could register for bigger blocks) but everybody else would just sit with their friends regardless of their assigned seat and it just made things more difficult Now the tickets are online and it's all open seating within the student section which honestly works out a lot better. The real student fans that get there early are rewarded with better seats.

Edit: Forgot to mention they track which games you go to for all sports and the more support you show, the higher your chance of getting a ticket to games in the event more students have requested tickets than there are tickets available (basically Miami, Florida, Clemson, and big OOC games for football and UNC and Duke for basketball but only when our team is at least half-decent).

OSU has 2 types of student tickets, regular and Block O. Block O are basically the sections if you looked straight through the uprights on both sides. The regular seats are basically the entire South stands, and a lot of the closed in side of the stadium. Block 0 is roughly 5,000 seats combined.

Block O is first come first serve, but sections are fairly small so all its not a huge deal to get there late, I always sat in Block O and would arrive about a hour early and be in the first 5-10 rows of the section. The regular seats are assigned seats based upon you class rank. When ticket order would go out you could join a "group" with your friends and they took the lowest persons rank and you got to assigned seats all together.

System is actually pretty good from what ive read on here plus seen at other schools.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, no michigan state/Alabama series in 2016 & 2017. Alabama backed out because of schedule concerns related to going to a 9 game conference schedule.

Talon

OSU has 2 types of student tickets, regular and Block O. Block O are basically the sections if you looked straight through the uprights on both sides. The regular seats are basically the entire South stands, and a lot of the closed in side of the stadium. Block 0 is roughly 5,000 seats combined.

Block O is first come first serve, but sections are fairly small so all its not a huge deal to get there late, I always sat in Block O and would arrive about a hour early and be in the first 5-10 rows of the section. The regular seats are assigned seats based upon you class rank. When ticket order would go out you could join a "group" with your friends and they took the lowest persons rank and you got to assigned seats all together.

System is actually pretty good from what ive read on here plus seen at other schools.
Yeah, I don't see why Michigan can't do both. They have the capacity.

They used to be first come first server by section. You'd get priority as grad students (or at least med school students) and seniors, etc.

Now it's locked down assigned seating.
Edit: Forgot to mention they track which games you go to for all sports and the more support you show, the higher your chance of getting a ticket to games in the event more students have requested tickets than there are tickets available (basically Miami, Florida, Clemson, and big OOC games for football and UNC and Duke for basketball but only when our team is at least half-decent).
Oh, that's cool. That makes a ton of sense. Every school should reward the die hards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom