• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Two Thread: OSU KOs VPI, forfeits bid to repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsyndrome

MOV Game (Tiebreaker ONLY)
Jacksonville State v. Auburn: Auburn by 28
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5): NO COVER
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5): COVER
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5): COVER
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5): NO COVER
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia: COVER
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State: COVER
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee: COVER
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State: COVER
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU: NO COVER
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5): COVER

Jhriad

But ATM isn't going to be relevant to anything in any case.

Their schedule lines up really well for them. Their only games away from home are @Arkansas, @Ole Miss, @Vanderbilt, and @LSU. Plus they dodge the best teams in the SEC East entirely. I'd be surprised if they weren't relevant for the year since I'm expecting them to go 10-2, at worst.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Quoting myself to add on that apparently TCU's true freshman starting LB Mike Freeze has left the team on a "personal leave of absence" and won't play Saturday. That would mean that both of their starting LBs from the Minnesota game will not be on the field this weekend. Shouldn't really need the help against SFA this weekend but it's also not known yet how long he'll be gone.

Also, the reason the "sack leader" from my previous post, James McFarland, is out is because he broke his toe on a sprinkler head and needs surgery on it.

I know Patterson's specialty is supposed to be defense but they have been absolutely crushed by attrition since last season. Taken from a post on a TCU site since last season they graduated 3 starting LBs, 2 starting safeties, a starting DT, and a starting CB, and since then have lost a starting DT, starting DE, and both new starting LBs.

KodaRuss

Their schedule lines up really well for them. Their only games away from home are @Arkansas, @Ole Miss, @Vanderbilt, and @LSU. Plus they dodge the best teams in the SEC East entirely. I'd be surprised if they weren't relevant for the year since I'm expecting them to go 10-2, at worst.

10-2 huh? They still play Miss State, Alabama, Auburn and South Carolina at home. I think 10-2 would be amazing imo.

Draconian

A) Rankings in Week 2 are less than worthless and rankings in general are clearly biased in favor of SEC teams;
B) Bielema will probably end up losing almost all of those games;
C) National Champions

So Bielema can kindly STFU.

None of this changes OSU's schedule this season being trash. Gotta love throwing C in there as if it's some kind of magical point that wins any argument in OSU's favor though.

Jacksonville State v. AUBURN by 31
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5) - COVER
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) - COVER
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5) - COVER
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5) - NO COVER
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia - NO COVER
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State - NO COVER
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee - COVER
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State - NO COVER
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU - COVER
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5) - NO COVER

ag-my001

Kyler Murray going down to injury might be the pivotal moment in college football for the next three years.
I've yet to see anything that stated the exact injury or how long he'll be out, but I really haven't been looking. Having a mobile QB certainly seems to help Sumlin's offenses, either by keeping the defensive ends from being too aggressive, or by locking down a LB to spy. It was clear from the time he played, however, that he wasn't as capable in reading the defense or being comfortable in the pocket. I'm hoping he'll improve as Manziel did, but I think it's more likely Allen starts for the yeast, with Murray being a serious challenger for next.

As for impact, after week one my expectation range had shifted. Before I was ready for anything between 5-7 and 10-2. That has now been bumped to 7-5 and 11-1.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I would not recommend moving to a new house 2 days before the season starts.

Or moving at all, ever.

Jacksonville State v. Auburn by 24
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5) COVER
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) COVER
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5) COVER
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5) NO COVER
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia COVER
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State NO COVER
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee NO COVER
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State NO COVER
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU COVER
No pick for UCF v. Stanford?

Missing picks from:

lonestar
StrikerObi
AlteredBeast
andycapps
Ganhyun
Battlezone
Chris R
jjasper
sf2fanatic
MrJames
PhoenixDark
JCX
Monroeski
pxleyes
Subitai

Plus, anyone who wants to make some picks is more than welcome to do so!

Don't forget to make your picks in the Yahoo! pick 'em for Affe if you're doing that one as well.

Jhriad

Missing picks from:

Don't forget me!

Jacksonville State v. Auburn by 35
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5) NO COVER
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) NO COVER
Saturday
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State COVER
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU NO COVER
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5) COVER

Jacksonville State v. Auburn 37
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5) Cover
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) Cover
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5) No Cover
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5) No Cover
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia Cover
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State Cover
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee Cover
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State No Cover
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU No Cover
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5) Cover

mre

Don't forget me!

Jacksonville State v. Auburn by 35
Thursday
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) NO COVER
Saturday
Gotcha.

Edit: and Bert.

Missing picks from:

Don't forget to make your picks in the Yahoo! pick 'em for Affe if you're doing that one as well.

Oh I forgot about Yahoo! since it's not in the OP I'm going to forget on a weekly basis

Missing picks from:

Guess i cut it off. Thanks.

UCF v. Stanford (-14.5) NO COVER

Cash-strapped Texas to charge the Texas Tech band $100 a head for their Thanksgiving game.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/09/texas-charges-texas-tech-band-admission

I know schools always generally get an allotment of tickets that they can divide up how they want, but damn. This is apparently the first time either school has charged each other for the band?

Yeah... That's shitty. Quick sell more subscriptions to the Longhorn Network. We can see Bevo do.. Bevo things.

Cash-strapped Texas to charge the Texas Tech band $100 a head for their Thanksgiving game.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/09/texas-charges-texas-tech-band-admission

I know schools always generally get an allotment of tickets that they can divide up how they want, but damn. This is apparently the first time either school has charged each other for the band?

The business managers of the four Texas schools — including Texas Tech — got together in the past year and decided to start charging each other for band members’ tickets.

“They just decided very recently to do that,” Giovannetti said. “We were aware.”

He said the University of Texas was not “going rogue” in deciding to charge for the band members’ seats.

link

Patterson and co. have enacted a lot of slimy money grubbing tactics, but this one seemed to be mutual.
Seems like a zero sum game really

Dsyndrome

I see.

Was going to say, though. If each of the four schools are charging each other's bands, what's the big picture difference between just not charging each other?
Better for book-keeping apparently.
An official from UT who did not wish to be identified gave the same version of events, noting that selling the tickets makes it easier for accounting.
Also, theoretically, the band could not come and save money, I guess.

Jacksonville State v. Auburn: Auburn by 38
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5): NO COVER
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5): COVER
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5): COVER
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5): NO COVER
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia: No COVER
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State: No COVER
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee: COVER
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State: No COVER
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU: COVER
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5): COVER

andycapps

Jacksonville State v. Auburn 35
Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5) Cover
Friday
Utah State v. Utah (-13.5) No Cover
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5) No Cover
Oregon State v. Michigan (-15.5) No Cover
Notre Dame (-19.5) v. Virginia Cover
Iowa (-7.5) v. Iowa State Cover
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee No Cover
Oregon (-3.5) v. Michigan State No Cover
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU No Cover
UCF v. Stanford (-14.5) Cover

Missing picks from:

Mine are above. Having a short week messed me up a little bit.

None of this changes OSU's schedule this season being trash. Gotta love throwing C in there as if it's some kind of magical point that wins any argument in OSU's favor though.
How is C not relevant? We're defending national champions and pretty much brought our entire team back.

Schedule isn't great. That's out of our control. But for SEC nobs like Bielema to keep using this tired "Our schedule is sooooo tough," crap is pathetic, especially considering the SEC West is coming back from a lousy bowl season.

andycapps

How is C not relevant? We're defending national champions and pretty much brought our entire team back.

Schedule isn't great. That's out of our control. But for SEC nobs like Bielema to keep using this tired "Our schedule is sooooo tough," crap is pathetic, especially considering the SEC West is coming back from a lousy bowl season.

SEC teams looked pretty good this last weekend, though. I'm not sold on quite a few of the SEC teams that are ranked right now, but those things will sort themselves out as the season goes on.

mre

SEC teams looked pretty good this last weekend, though. I'm not sold on quite a few of the SEC teams that are ranked right now, but those things will sort themselves out as the season goes on.
Yeah, but only Aggy and Auburn played teams from "real" conferences.

You know.. How does Baylor escape this criticism.. I mean last year their schedule was a damn joke. They just scheduled Incarnate Word for god's sake.

Does Ohio State have an easier schedule than other schools.. Yes they do.

But Ohio State is sure as shit not the only ones. Arkansas's non conference schedule is a joke for example.

Kacar

In my mind at least there really isn't much difference between schools like Arkansas and Tennessee compared to say Minnesota until they prove something. UT gave up 600 yards to BG and moved up.

I just think the gap between team #20 or so to like team #35 isn't that big.

Our schedule being so bad is pretty much all UM and PSUs fault for being powerhouse programs that are just terrible right now.

Draxal

Yeah, but only Aggy and Auburn played teams from "real" conferences.

What do you consider last year Auburn's Wisconsin bowl game then?

edit.

I find this conference shit talking between the SEC and Big 10 to be the biggest slapfight of all time.

andycapps

You know.. How does Baylor escape this criticism.. I mean last year their schedule was a damn joke. They just scheduled Incarnate Word for god's sake.

Does Ohio State have an easier schedule than other schools.. Yes they do.

But Ohio State is sure as shit not the only ones. Arkansas's non conference schedule is a joke for example.

And it's going to continue to remain a joke while so many SEC teams are ranked high. The feeling among most of the conference schools is that they don't need to schedule tougher non-conference games. And in fairness to Arkansas, at least they scheduled Texas Tech.

Arkansas is actually listed as the #2 strength of schedule according to the NCAA.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jacksonville State v. Auburn Auburn by 30

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5) NO COVER
Oklahoma (-7.5) v. Tennessee COVER
LSU (-9.5) v. MSU COVER

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Jacksonville State v. Auburn (Auburn by 42)
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Houston v. Louisville (-12.5) NO COVER

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If you're asking how Baylor escaped the criticism of having a weak schedule, they didn't. It was a major bullet point all season and the #1 reason they were ranked behind TCU even after they won the head to head and arguably the #1 reason why they were left out of the playoff. Ohio State being a blue-blood school and obliterating Wisconsin in their CCG may have been too much to overcome regardless but SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo sure made the decision a whole lot easier.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jacksonville State v. Auburn Auburn by 28

Thursday
LA Tech v. WKU (-3.5) COVER

Friday

Saturday

Draxal

That's true, but the incredible Kyle Flood is still there so.

Zero losses against the SEC!

Btw, Did anybody find this really weird or is just me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/123261/big-ten-awards-tracker-week-1

1. Ohio State WR Braxton Miller (four first-place votes): Can you believe it's been 20 months since the do-everything senior has played football? It sure didn't look that way Monday. He racked up 140 all-purpose yards and two TDs while channeling his inner Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson.

4. Rutgers WR Leonte Carroo: This guy must be playing on the "freshman" difficulty setting. He played only one half Saturday and finished with just three catches -- but they went for three TDs and 129 yards. Carroo is the best receiver in the Big Ten. By far.

If you're asking how Baylor escaped the criticism of having a weak schedule, they didn't. It was a major bullet point all season and the #1 reason they were ranked behind TCU even after they won the head to head and arguably the #1 reason why they were left out of the playoff. Ohio State being a blue-blood school and obliterating Wisconsin in their CCG may have been too much to overcome regardless but SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo sure made the decision a whole lot easier.

No, I understand that. They most definitely didn't last year. (The poster who Bert was talking to earlier shitting on OSU's schedule and that which what led to my post) I'm talking about the whole crapping on OSU's schedule completely yet other schools get to skate is the annoying thing. The media (ESPN) routinely ripped OSU's schedule (for years and rightfully so) but Baylor (for example) skates and that's crap is all.

And it's going to continue to remain a joke while so many SEC teams are ranked high. The feeling among most of the conference schools is that they don't need to schedule tougher non-conference games. And in fairness to Arkansas, at least they scheduled Texas Tech.

Arkansas is actually listed as the #2 strength of schedule according to the NCAA.

Texas Tech.. Come on, is Mike Leach gonna come back and coach them. Still better than some schools though. I will give you that.

Arkansas does have a tough schedule OVERALL though and they are a good team. But the games they have control of (The OOC scheduling) is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom