• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

impirius

You know I'd almost rather be at 3 wins than 5 again. 5 means we were probably competitive enough for me to have the rug pulled out several Saturday's and get sad and angry drunk. 3 wins means I've written off the season and even losing to the Citadel can't phase me.
Just treat this as Year 0 and enjoy watching the young guys progress. Nothing will ever be as bad as last season; five losses were by a touchdown or less, the head coach left mid-season, and recruiting continued its years-long freefall.

This season, at least, we know what we're getting into ahead of time, the future looks stable, and we get to see some nice new helmets.

HXhDOuyl.jpg

andycapps

I really thought Eason would've started based on the spring game.
He looked good but they had him in shotgun the whole game, which wouldn't have been the case in a real game. And he was going up against a vanilla defense. He did look amazing and it's obvious he'll be starting soon. Starting the safe option is the Saban way and not surprising Smart is sticking with that.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Who is playing tonight? Not that it matters. College Football is back :)
Notable Week 1 Games
Thursday, September 1
MATCHUP TIME (CT) NAT TV LOCATION
Charlotte #19Louisville 6:00 PM ESPN3 Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Louisville, KY
Appalachian State #9Tennessee 6:30 PM SECN Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
South Carolina Vanderbilt 7:00 PM ESPN Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN
Oregon State Minnesota 8:00 PM BTN TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Who is playing tonight? Not that it matters. College Football is back :)

Today (FBS) (9/1):
Presbyterian College @ Central Michigan (6pm CT) ESPN3
Charlotte @ #19 Louisville (6pm CT) ACCN
Tulane @ Wake Forest (6pm CT) ACCN
Tennessee-Martin @ Cincinnati (6pm CT) ESPN3
Maine @ Connecticut (6pm CT) ESPN3
William & Mary @ NC State (6:30pm CT) ACCN
Indiana @ Florida International (6:30pm CT) ESPNU
Appalachian State @ #9 Tennessee (6:30pm CT) SECN
South Carolina @ Vanderbilt (7pm CT) ESPN
Southern Utah @ Utah (7pm CT) PAC12N
Weber State @ Utah State (7pm CT) Campus Insiders
Rice @ Western Kentucky (7pm CT) CBSSN
Oregon State @ Minnesota (8pm CT) BTN
South Dakota @ New Mexico (8pm CT) ROOT
Montana State @ Idaho (8pm CT) ESPN3/Altitude
Jackson State @ UNLV (9pm CT) Campus Insiders

andycapps

It looks like I had a good 6 year ban-free run.

So archaic bullshit is out and slightly modern bullshit is in. Here's how it works. You make your 12 picks, they're each worth 1 point. Then there's a bonus round. If you get within a field goal of the total score for a random game that week, you get a field goal added to your score. So you can earn up to 15 points per week. First game is Friday at 7:00PM central, which is when I'll close the responses. If you want to submit after that, you'll have to PM me your picks. You will need a Google account in order to submit and you can change your response up until the cutoff time.

Link

The games are:
  • Colorado State @ Colorado
  • Kansas State @ Stanford
  • Oklahoma vs. Houston
  • Missouri @ West Virginia
  • UCLA @ Texas A&M
  • LSU vs. Wisconsin
  • Miami(OH) @ Iowa
  • Georgia vs. North Carolina
  • USC vs. Alabama
  • Northern Iowa @ Iowa State
  • Notre Dame @ Texas
  • Ole Miss vs. Florida State [Bonus Round: Total Score]

This is the official pick em, right? If so, may want to add a link to post in the OP.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
You know I'd almost rather be at 3 wins than 5 again. 5 means we were probably competitive enough for me to have the rug pulled out several Saturday's and get sad and angry drunk. 3 wins means I've written off the season and even losing to the Citadel can't phase me.

We've only had one season since 1990 that we didn't have at least 5 wins heading into the final game of the season, meaning only one season that we headed into our final game without bowl eligibility as a possibility (if not already locked in).

That season was 2014, and I absolutely never want to go through a season like that again.

cdyhybrid

Today (FBS) (9/1):
Presbyterian College @ Central Michigan (6pm CT) ESPN3
Charlotte @ #19 Louisville (6pm CT) ACCN
Tulane @ Wake Forest (6pm CT) ACCN
Tennessee-Martin @ Cincinnati (6pm CT) ESPN3
Maine @ Connecticut (6pm CT) ESPN3
William & Mary @ NC State (6:30pm CT) ACCN
Indiana @ Florida International (6:30pm CT) ESPNU
Appalachian State @ #9 Tennessee (6:30pm CT) SECN
South Carolina @ Vanderbilt (7pm CT) ESPN
Southern Utah @ Utah (7pm CT) PAC12N
Weber State @ Utah State (7pm CT) Campus Insiders
Rice @ Western Kentucky (7pm CT) CBSSN
Oregon State @ Minnesota (8pm CT) BTN
South Dakota @ New Mexico (8pm CT) ROOT
Montana State @ Idaho (8pm CT) ESPN3/Altitude
Jackson State @ UNLV (9pm CT) Campus Insiders

Only games that are even remotely interesting are SCAR/Vandy, OSU/Minny, and maybe Tennessee/App State for the upset potential. I'll take it though!

CrR31hFUsAENMAd

Football!

Top 10! We made it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Did see an interesting fact from a USCw blog:

Alabama has won 14 straight openers, USC has won 17 straight.

That's alot of consecutive wins that'll come to an end

Bama's last 8 Openers:
Clemson -n
Virginia Tech -n
San Jose St
Kent State
Michigan -n
Virginia Tech -n
West Virginia -n
Wisconsin -n

USCw's last 8 Openers:
@Virginia
San Jose St
@Hawaii
Minnesota
Hawaii
@Hawaii
Fresno State
Arkansas State

jfkgoblue

Bama's last 8 Openers:
Clemson -n
Virginia Tech -n
San Jose St
Kent State
Michigan -n
Virginia Tech -n
West Virginia -n
Wisconsin -n

USCw's last 8 Openers:
@Virginia
San Jose St
@Hawaii
Minnesota
Hawaii
@Hawaii
Fresno State
Arkansas State
Alabama is gonna crush them, Nick Saban with months of preparation is nearly unbeatable.

styl3s

Sorta. I am a fan of Tennessee. I'm hopeful of a title but my expectations are in check. I'm just hoping for SEC East champs.
I was referring to their game tonight which they are gonna win i feel like the other guy wasn't being genuine with his response.

Will i sit here and claim they are unbeatable? Gonna crush it this season? I also have my expectations in check but the Mountaineers? Vols are going to beat them.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Bama's last 8 Openers:
Clemson -n
Virginia Tech -n
San Jose St
Kent State
Michigan -n
Virginia Tech -n
West Virginia -n
Wisconsin -n

USCw's last 8 Openers:
@Virginia
San Jose St
@Hawaii
Minnesota
Hawaii
@Hawaii
Fresno State
Arkansas State

Holy shit, the difference in strength of opening week scheduling is appalling. I hate Bama as much as the next respectable yankee, but i have to hand it to them, they schedule tough opponents,even factoring in the neutral field weirdenss.

I was referring to their game tonight which they are gonna win i feel like the other guy wasn't being genuine with his response.

Will i sit here and claim they are unbeatable? No, i just don't see the Mountaineers winning.
Ugh. I thought you quoted me.

But yea UT will win.

Carry on.

Holy shit, the difference in strength of opening week scheduling is appalling. I hate Bama as much as the next respectable yankee, but i have to hand it to them, they schedule tough opponents,even factoring in the neutral field weirdenss.

pfffff neutral sites. Stop messing up whats great with CFB bama!

Lonestar

Honestly I don't know. It was on Twitter with 0 added context. LSU being low astounds me regardless of what this means.

I don't know, LSU/Louisiana has New Orleans, which can basically just serve as a "Tinder" replacement come Mardi Gras time.

andycapps

The plus to all these SEC teams doing neutral site games (outside of LSU at Lambeau) is that it is a game in a fertile recruiting region. Atlanta and Dallas areas are great for recruiting, obviously. Plus, much higher payout and only ties up one year of scheduling vs a home and home. So those are some of the reasons why teams like them.

Home and home is much more exciting to watch.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The plus to all these SEC teams doing neutral site games (outside of LSU at Lambeau) is that it is a game in a fertile recruiting region. Atlanta and Dallas areas are great for recruiting, obviously. Plus, much higher payout and only ties up one year of scheduling vs a home and home. So those are some of the reasons why teams like them.

Home and home is much more exciting to watch.

home and home is way more fun for fans of each program too.

Lonestar

home and home is way more fun for fans of each program too.

Well, yeah. Just means that instead of having Clemson, VT, Michigan, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and USC in that timeframe, it turns into just Clemson, VT and Michigan (or whatever combo of teams).

Playing VT 2 times in 3 years should have been H&H, but then instead of Michigan State 2 years in a row, we get USCw and FSU.

I don't know, LSU/Louisiana has New Orleans, which can basically just serve as a "Tinder" replacement come Mardi Gras time.

Apparently it is based on data from Tinder for which schools receive the most right swipes (of the schools in the AP top 25). So apparently Stanford students/grads are more likely to get hookups from an app than their LSU counterparts. Which doesn't mean LSU people aren't getting laid or hooking up, they just might be doing it the old fashioned way.

And since we all want to talk about home field advantage:

http://dataomaha.com/bigstory/sports/college-footballs-greatest-myth

Apparently Nebraska is really screwing up home field advantage numbers.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well, yeah. Just means that instead of having Clemson, VT, Michigan, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and USC in that timeframe, it turns into just Clemson, VT and Michigan (or whatever combo of teams).

Playing VT 2 times in 3 years should have been H&H, but then instead of Michigan State 2 years in a row, we get USCw and FSU.

yeah but it means you get to see them in your home stadium, or if so inclined, go visit theirs.

I'd much rather make a trip to Los Angeles, Tallahassee, and East Lansing, than six consecutive trips to Dallas or whatever. And then those three years get to have all the home game fun against the brand name opponents.

FyreWulff

Apparently it is based on data from Tinder for which schools receive the most right swipes (of the schools in the AP top 25). So apparently Stanford students/grads are more likely to get hookups from an app than their LSU counterparts. Which doesn't mean LSU people aren't getting laid or hooking up, they just might be doing it the old fashioned way.

And since we all want to talk about home field advantage:

http://dataomaha.com/bigstory/sports/college-footballs-greatest-myth

Apparently Nebraska is really screwing up home field advantage numbers.

Because even though Nebraska sells out it's own stadium, it's a bunch of bluehair generational ticket holders that never fucking know when to get loud and they get knocked out of the game reaaaaaal easy if Nebraska starts slipping even once.

Most of the loud Nebraska fans are stuck watching it at home or in the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom