• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Looks like Michael Roach, the Wofford player who collapsed last night, was held in the hospital overnight and is expected to be OK.

Good deal. Thanks for the update.

Here's a more in-depth update now that he's been released from the hospital:

image_handler.aspx

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – On Saturday, Wofford linebacker Michael Roach was released from Cookeville Regional Medical Center and is returning to campus in Spartanburg. He has been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and had a procedure to place an implantable cardioverter defibrillator on Friday.

"This was an undiagnosed heart condition that I have had most likely since I was born as it is caused by a genetic mutation," said Roach. "It causes the heart walls to thicken and during exercise it can result in loss of blood flow and the rhythm to get off beat. I was on the field for the 13-play drive by Tennessee Tech and my heart was beating very fast, but it was not pumping blood. I went into cardiac arrest and for approximately 45 seconds had no pulse and was not breathing. The athletic trainers and doctors were in the right place at the right time to do what was needed.

"I would like to thank everyone for their support and prayers," continued Roach. "I am thankful for the athletic training staffs and doctors at Wofford and Tennessee Tech for everything they did for me. Wofford athletic trainer Zach Lapinski and Dr. Eric Cole stayed with me at the hospital, which was greatly appreciated. Coach Mike Ayers and his wife Julie, along with Coach Nate Fuqua came by immediately after the game. Dr. Stacy Brewington, Dr. Mark Wathen and the nurses and staff at Cookeville Regional Medical Center have been very helpful. I would like to thank the entire Tennessee Tech community – I was visited by head coach Marcus Satterfield, athletic director Mark Wilson, athletic trainer Joe Erdeljac, and mayor Ricky Shelton. Their support helped me and my family get through this."

A junior from Kenosha, Wisconsin, Roach started the Tennessee Tech game at outside linebacker. He collapsed in the team bench area during the third quarter of the contest. He was attended to by the athletic training staff, team physicians and EMS. He was transported to Cookeville Regional Medical Center where he was alert and responsive. He stayed at CRMC on Thursday and Friday nights.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a disease of the heart muscle in which a portion of the myocardium is enlarged without any obvious cause, creating functional impairment of the cardiac muscle. HCM is the leading cause of sudden cardiac death in young athletes in the United States and typically only 5% of people survive after going into cardiac arrest.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/9/3/football-update-on-linebacker-michael-roach.aspx

Since he has an ICD in now, I'm guess he's probably done with football, right?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
A couple of shots from UH-OU that's Carl Lewis and Adrian Peterson as honorary captains. That was a fun game to be at. As far as the Tom Herman speculation, if UH gets in the B12, I don't think he is going anywhere for awhile. UH then could pay him as much as anyone else and I am not sure if you have noticed, but he has a bit of an ego. Mack Brown told him last season that if he leaves to go to a bigger program he would be just the next coach, if he stays at Houston, he would be king. I think that has resonated with him. But who cares about all that for now, Houston just beat OU and I feel fine.

29339652542_16efd3cb80_c.jpg" width="800" height="450"

29447865345_2793fd49c1_c.jpg" width="800" height="484"

The global SEC hate is hilarious.

That was a game for UGA I was expecting to be a loss. Really lucky to get out with a win, even though our running game appears to be solid. Lambert needs a clipboard surgically implanted into his forearm. Win by the kid, die by the kid. Give him the ball against Nicholls State and don't look back.

jfkgoblue

As anyone familiar with A&M football knows, we have the worst radio play by play guy, Dave South. What I did not know was that we also have the best play by play announcers ever.

ht to GoodBullHunting.
Oh, you haven't heard Michigan's radio play by play, he is literally a color guy forced into play by play and he is awful, he was a good color analyst but is terrible play by play.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANy...BgAhg2eAPBKSXg00c66jw7kT330VyXw&v=A5tbRaxSE60
Just watch this, though he is better than he used to be.
Come to think of it, he is the Detroit Lions radio color guy as well as Michigan play by play

tebunker

Banned
I think Georgia wins it, but it will be close. Nick Chubb looks legit.

Gators are gonna win the east

I like Coach Mac and all but this is going to be a tough year for all of the East teams.

Having Mizzou, UK and USCe look like a hot mess this weekend may help, but nothing is guaranteed. Ever. It's possible the team that wins the east has 2 or 3 losses. UGA, UF and UT will have to show some more consistency over the first month.

West isn't looking that much better. TAMU was up and down on D and inconsistent on O against a solid team. LSU has no offense outside of Fournette. Bert is gonna Bert, which means they are unstoppable in November when no one cares about Arky again. Aubie may be able to hang defensively but sheesh what a dumpster fire the gus bus is. And Don't hate Clanga - just hate Clanga.

I will reserve Ole Miss judgement for two weeks from now.

Honestly I would caution against really taking much from these first couple of weeks.

Other than Alabama looks dangerous with Jalen Hurts. We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Good

UGA won against a team that actually played well. Plus their fellow division mates suck so Dawg fans should be riding high.

Wisconsin got a big win against a highly touted preseason fav LSU. Stock on the rise.

Houston is for real. Not sure if the competition helps or hurts their chances to get in the Big XII.

The Bad

A ton of teams win or lose struggled. Big name players were MIA. Other than the UNC UGA game where both teams played decently well and UGA won most everyone else is either was upset UCLA or squeezed by ala Tenn.

The Ugly

LSU's QB was historically bad.

Again we see why preseason polls shouldn't exist. Just wait a month for any polls.

Other

Of course there are a share of cupcake blowouts, but who knows what that means. Expect the hype train to be out the station for Michigan fans already.

Also I'd argue the best team not named Bama has yet to play. FSU goes tonight, and I think as a team they are better than Clemson.

If your team got a win take it no matter against who or how much. A ton of fans today would love to have a W who don't.

The Good

UGA won against a team that actually played well. Plus their fellow division mates suck so Dawg fans should be riding high.

Wisconsin got a big win against a highly touted preseason fav LSU. Stock on the rise.

Houston is for real. Not sure if the competition helps or hurts their chances to get in the Big XII.

The Bad

A ton of teams win or lose struggled. Big name players were MIA. Other than the UNC UGA game where both teams played decently well and UGA won most everyone else is either was upset UCLA or squeezed by ala Tenn.

The Ugly

LSU's QB was historically bad.

Again we see why preseason polls shouldn't exist. Just wait a month for any polls.

Other

Of course there are a share of cupcake blowouts, but who knows what that means. Expect the hype train to be out the station for Michigan fans already.

Also I'd argue the best team not named Bama has yet to play. FSU goes tonight, and I think as a team they are better than Clemson.

If your team got a win take it no matter against who or how much. A ton of fans today would love to have a W who don't.

Some good things from Michigan, but there are some areas I want to see improve. Running game outside of Evans wasn't very good. Defense struggled when Hawaii went to the spread. Always an area of concern.

Don't think OU has a chance against OSUn. They'll score some but they don't play defense.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Auburn sucking increases the chances that Malzahn is fired which increases the chances of either Petrino/Fedora getting hired away.

Sounds good.

I'm really looking forward to tonight's Texas vs Notre Dame game, mostly to see the reactions when Texas gets stomped. I'm guessing many will be calling for Strong to go.

ag-my001

I'm really looking forward to tonight's Texas vs Notre Dame game, mostly to see the reactions when Texas gets stomped. I'm guessing many will be calling for Strong to go.
With a bunch of the SEC West seemingly being down this year, in starting to get a creeping feeling that Sumlin will do well enough to keep his job while the sips go get Herman.

Not the greatest feeling.

We're gonna beat the Criminoles this year

I'm hyped, too. Finally a managing QB and kicker. The literal two concrete blocks around our feet of the last how many seasons?

But the Noles are pretty tight this year. We will see on Monday.

The truest thing I've read in a while.

Oh...you didn't think I forgot...

The best thing I've seen in a while!!

I'm in Tally with no power so I found a bar with that AND cable to manage through yesterday. You'd be surprised how stoked people were for Houston's game in this town, especially considering that one bowl game...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
With a bunch of the SEC West seemingly being down this year, in starting to get a creeping feeling that Sumlin will do well enough to keep his job while the sips go get Herman.

Not the greatest feeling.

I don't know, they still have to face the most talented team in football, the LSU Tigers.

fuckin USF inflating their attendance numbers by over 13,000 people. Announced 35k while actual butts in seats were 22k. This is a team many expect to compete for the conference.

KodaRuss

Just averted an emergency about the game tonight. I have some family coming over to watch the game I just remembered Playsation Vue onlt has ABC on Demand so I cant watch it through the Vue.

Fortunately the ESPN app lets you watch the game through the FireTV. I dont have an HD antenna. Anyone else had this issue yesterday? I just got back in town so it didnt matter yesterday.

andycapps

Just averted an emergency about the game tonight. I have some family coming over to watch the game I just remembered Playsation Vue onlt has ABC on Demand so I cant watch it through the Vue.

Fortunately the ESPN app lets you watch the game through the FireTV. I dont have an HD antenna. Anyone else had this issue yesterday? I just got back in town so it didnt matter yesterday.
Kind of. I wanted to watch the ABC games but no WatchESPN on the PS4 so I had to use watchESPN on Roku due to no local ABC on my Vue.

Ouch

KodaRuss

Kind of. I wanted to watch the ABC games but no WatchESPN on the PS4 so I had to use watchESPN on Roku due to no local ABC on my Vue.

I figured ABC/Sony would have figured out the live TV deal by now.

Anyway, just another App that will work I guess. I have live longhorn network and every other channel but no live ABC.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Speaking of Vue, what's the best way to watch the CBS game with the service? I tried the all access app briefly to watch A&M/UCLA, but the game wasn't available.

andycapps

I figured ABC/Sony would have figured out the live TV deal by now.

Anyway, just another App that will work I guess. I have live longhorn network and every other channel but no live ABC.
Yeah the local affiliates are coming on board as they work out deals with them.

urge26

Some good things from Michigan, but there are some areas I want to see improve. Running game outside of Evans wasn't very good. Defense struggled when Hawaii went to the spread. Always an area of concern.

Don't think OU has a chance against OSUn. They'll score some but they don't play defense.

I'm not going to get ahead about myself about OU not having a chance against tOSU. Something tells me that this game being in Norman will automatically make things closer. What I do know is that we'll stomp that team up north again come November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom