• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game, and mainly the lack of putting an inferior opponent away, reminds me so much of Florida State vs Gondo State a few years ago. Clemson didn't bring their best tonight. Florida State never got it together that year.

I give props to the SEC for scheduling some tough opponents this week but they paid the price as 5 SEC teams lost their OOC matchup today. I doubt that many SEC teams have lost an OOC game in one weekend in quite some time.

cdyhybrid

What was your take on the Washington game cdyhybrid?

Any different from my own? (Washington may be good, but this Rutgers team is not a good barometer of that.)

The gimmick is impossible to keep straight in the place of what happened today. You have to be more than just insane to keep a gimmick of Rutgers being good in the face of that... game.

Probably the same. UW is in year three with a stacked cupboard and Rutgers is in year one and has some recruiting to do. Throw in travelling across the country and it's a tough task.

Rutgers' coaching didn't really jump off the field at me, but I'm not sure whether that's because they're not that good or the program just isn't there yet. It's only their first game so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

The gimmick is impossible to keep straight in the place of what happened today. You have to be more than just insane to keep a gimmick of Rutgers being good in the face of that... game.
Nonsense.. You can maintain that gimmick.. Just look at Kas..

on second thought, I don't think that helps my case

Paches

Probably the same. UW is in year three with a stacked cupboard and Rutgers is in year one and has some recruiting to do. Throw in travelling across the country and it's a tough task.

Rutgers' coaching didn't really jump off the field at me, but I'm not sure whether that's because they're not that good or the program just isn't there yet. It's only their first game so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

#1 - John Ross is good at football

#2 - Happy about Browning dropping multiple deep passes perfectly, especially the one to Pettis on the sideline.

cdyhybrid

#1 - John Ross is good at football

#2 - Happy about Browning dropping multiple deep passes perfectly, especially the one to Pettis on the sideline.

Yeah, really happy Ross is back and appears to be just as fast as ever. Defense looked about like what they should have on paper.

Browning's deep ball accuracy is probably the biggest thing he needed to improve, so that was nice to see - although I will say it's easy to throw accurate deep balls when it's practically impossible to overthrow John Ross :p

Would have liked to have seen the running game get going a bit more but I'm not going to complain after that performance.

Paches

Yeah, really happy Ross is back and appears to be just as fast as ever. Defense looked about like what they should have on paper.

Browning's deep ball accuracy is probably the biggest thing he needed to improve, so that was nice to see - although I will say it's easy to throw accurate deep balls when it's practically impossible to overthrow John Ross :p

Would have liked to have seen the running game get going a bit more but I'm not going to complain after that performance.

Yeah, only thing to really "complain" about is that. Also I am cautiously optimistic about our pass rush without Feeney/Littleton (he made the Rams!), but that could have been more of a Rutgers thing. We won't really find out for 3 more weeks.

Ganhyun

massive chaos with multiple favored teams going down. Glad UGA got the win. Agree with others here that we are much better with Eason than with Lambert.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so thoughts on Nebraska today:

gameplan I didn't like, running the ball was the focus, but it's a bummer when our WR core, which is awesome, gets ignored. First half we only had five drives, 2 Touchdown drives, one 3-n-out, and two drives that were promising until dumb mistakes (WR fumbling hand-off, illegal formation on a third down conversion).

Fresno's only TD was on a blocked punt of our true freshman punter filling in for our punter who died (nice tribute to him with the missing man punt delay of game)

2nd half we mashed Fresno and looked way better.

Would've liked to have seen us work on our passing game since we'll need it later on. But I get it, the coaches have given up on Tommy Armstrong, and you can't blame them.

Next season Nebraska will have a real QB for first time in nearly a decade, thank god.

-----------

Other thoughts:

Alabama - god. damn.

SEC - uh, 6-5 in non-conference games?! And the non-Alabama wins were underwhelming against UMass (Florida), solid against UNC (Georgia), escaping Appalachian State (Tenn), escaping Louisiana Tech (Arky), and a solid triple overtime win (aTm).

I mean, basically 3 good wins, 3 bad wins, and 5 losses.

SEC domination narrative should be smashed into bits by this point.

Ohio State and Michigan both looked great. JT Barrett = legit.

Washington... woooo. I think Rutgers is probably AWFUL. But still, hell of a win.

What's with TCU? Yikes.

Oregon got it going, but their sellout streak ended today? Where was Phil Knight to buy those tickets up!?

Arizona schools currently fucking around.

So glad college football is back

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
one one hand, I want lots of pain for BYU given what they did to us last year

on the other. so fun to see them upset P5 teams that aren't Nebraska

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
one one hand, I want lots of pain for BYU given what they did to us last year

on the other. so fun to see them upset P5 teams that aren't Nebraska

ball punching pain

byuballs.0.gif

fuck byu

I can't believe i'm saying this but I actually miss Mark May and Lou Holth giving out helmet stickers on the old College Football Final. I can't even watch the new show

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I can't believe i'm saying this but I actually miss Mark May and Lou Holth giving out helmet stickers on the old College Football Final. I can't even watch the new show

How could you not miss them? The old show was pure insanity and fun.

That said, this year's version is way better than last year's sleep Joe Tessitore ver.

That said, those guys need a desk to sit at. Get rid of the Joe Tess low energy chairs

Draconian

How could you not miss them? The old show was pure insanity and fun.

That said, this year's version is way better than last year's sleep Joe Tessitore ver.

That said, those guys need a desk to sit at. Get rid of the Joe Tess low energy chairs

Is it still just Tess and Galloway?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Is it still just Tess and Galloway?

No Tess is now play-by-play on Sat night Primetime game on ESPN

This year it's Adnan Virk, Joey Gallaway and Danny Kanell for the whole hour (vs the weird segments with just Joe or other folks last year)

The energy level and highlight level is much more similar to the Rece Davis version. Though I'd guess they are stuck with the set that the Joe Tess version wanted. It's weird having the guys on low chairs with a Table covered in highlight breakdowns.

That said, tonight was waaaaaay better than it was last year. But it doesn't hit the crazy weird highs of the Rece version. That show was fucking perfection (well; outside of the final verdict bullshit thing).

Jeff-DSA

My wife fell asleep during the BYU-Arizona game right before it all went bonkers in the 4th quarter.

BYU had a lot of mental mistakes and small misfires that prevented them from really blowing that game open. A few dropped passes, some really poorly timed penalties, and a couple of missed assignments played big into that being a close game. Williams was a monster, and I hope that he keeps that rolling into next week. Utah fans are already trolling BYU fan pages and social media. The rivalry week has begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom