• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
To me this is the real problem manziel has.... some more info here about this "manager". Evidently he is more of a party buddy than manager and the fact that his parent's gave their blessing to this makes it even worse. http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/05/this-is-johnny-manziels-manager-uncle-nate/

Even if they can trace the money I bet he will take the hit and say manziel had no knowledge and thought he was doing it for charity or something. Hopefully either way they get rid of this guy and get him a real manager.

I hope Manziel plays, but if the bolded happens and Manziel is ruled eligible, then it's bullshit. Even IF Manziel honestly didn't know (and, let's be honest, why in the hell else would you sit and just sign sign sign so many autographs? What charity? Did he ask any specific questions?), you can't hire someone to be your "manager" and then feign ignorance of their dealings when it suits you.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Johnny Football had committed an infraction that I could actually admonish him for, rather than one of the stupid NCAA rules against profiting from your own image.

If players are allowed to get paid for things like signatures then paying recruits to attend a certain school wouldn't even have to be done in the shadows. A booster could just announce that if a certain player commits to their school they'd buy 1,000 autographs at $100 a piece and nothing could be done. On general principle it seems like it would be a good idea to let them profit off their own image but unfortunately in reality it would open up loopholes you could drive a truck through.

The real root of all these problems IMO is that you have to be 3 years removed from high school to get to the NFL and there are no real avenues into the league other than college. Baseball players sign right out of high school, basketball players can go overseas for a year, etc. I don't know if football players can sign with the CFL at 18 years old or not but if nothing else you'd be dramatically limiting your NFL chances by doing so.

In other words, I don't think the "problem" is with the NCAA amateur football rules, the problem is with the NFL's age restrictions effectively eliminating the professional option. Baseball or basketball players make a conscious decision to forego professional payment in favor of going amateur; football players don't realistically have the same option.

The NCAA didn't even do anything to Auburn for blatant pay-for-play. They won't do anything serious here.

IIRC Auburn got away with it through a loophole because Cam "didn't know" that his dad took money. That loophole has been closed.

Another reason why the NCAA doesn't want to open the pay for play floodgates is because then only the schools willing to throw down the most money on recruits would be successful like we saw during SMU's heyday. So, somehow a salary cap would also need to be issued and the NCAA would have to oversee all of that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
To me this is the real problem manziel has.... some more info here about this "manager". Evidently he is more of a party buddy than manager and the fact that his parent's gave their blessing to this makes it even worse. http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/05/this-is-johnny-manziels-manager-uncle-nate/

Even if they can trace the money I bet he will take the hit and say manziel had no knowledge and thought he was doing it for charity or something. Hopefully either way they get rid of this guy and get him a real manager.

Think they closed the Family Member Loophole after Cam. This guy can be looked as being a sports agent/manager, even if he's "family"

Haven't actually looked, this guy is related, right?

mre

Think they closed the Family Member Loophole after Cam. This guy can be looked as being a sports agent/manager, even if he's "family"

I believe the technical term to describe the familial relations of Manziel and Uncle Nate is that they are "bros."

andycapps

Not related. Probably better articles out there but that was the first result. They're friends and went to highschool together. He dropped out of college to be JFF's manager. To talk to JFF you have to go through him, he coordinates his bodyguards for their appearances, negotiates the payment for JFF's appearances, whether he wants only brown M&M's, etc.

mre

I'm still not sure why he needs a manager much less bodyguards. He's far from the first underclassman to win the Heisman and have to deal with the pressures of being a celebrity on campus.

I'm still not sure why he needs a manager much less bodyguards. He's far from the first underclassman to win the Heisman and have to deal with the pressures of being a celebrity on campus.

I wonder if Manzeil's bodyguards work for free? And by free I mean they don't ask for money, but do ask for manzeil to write his name down on a few footballs for them every day. Loophole #548?

Jhriad

In other words, I don't think the "problem" is with the NCAA amateur football rules, the problem is with the NFL's age restrictions effectively eliminating the professional option. Baseball or basketball players make a conscious decision to forego professional payment in favor of going amateur; football players don't realistically have the same option.

Practically no position/player is going to be NFL ready out of high school and college ball gives them an avenue to get players the experience and training they need to be NFL ready. Select positions would be able to transition earlier to the NFL because they're more straightforward but doing away with the age restriction wouldn't do anything other than force the NFL to create a minor league system or find some other way to force players into the college system. The NFL has no interest in a minor league because of the resources it would require.

Lonestar

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 34m
Because the NCAA closed the Cecil Newton loophole, buddy Nathan could be classified as an agent if he in fact sought out money for Johnny.

Hey, I brought it up first, honestly! Stewart, stop reading GAF and go back to work.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hearing that TCU has now lost LB Joel Hasley, who started in 10 games last season, because he wanted to "retire from football." They've been taking some pretty solid hits to the depth chart recently between this guy, the starting left tackle who quit last week, and the DB who was kicked off the team a month or two back.

Practically no position/player is going to be NFL ready out of high school and college ball gives them an avenue to get players the experience and training they need to be NFL ready. Select positions would be able to transition earlier to the NFL because they're more straightforward but doing away with the age restriction wouldn't do anything other than force the NFL to create a minor league system or find some other way to force players into the college system. The NFL has no interest in a minor league because of the resources it would require.

That's partly why I put "problem" in quotation marks. I agree with your post, they would have to have a minor league/developmental league which would not only allow 18 year olds but possibly also have an age cap on it and I would imagine there's no interest in it.

Another option would be for a different organization to open up a league for players of that age, but accounting for the unlikeliness of that is reflected in my original post by the fact that I said the players don't "realistically" have that option; again, I don't know what the restrictions in the CFL are, but even if we were to assume that the CFL or UFL (if that even exists) or whatever allowed 18 year olds they'd still be reducing their chances of making the NFL versus just going to college.

It's a bit of a mess that I don't think we'll find a good option for for quite a while, if ever.

Not related. Probably better articles out there but that was the first result. They're friends and went to highschool together. He dropped out of college to be JFF's manager. To talk to JFF you have to go through him, he coordinates his bodyguards for their appearances, negotiates the payment for JFF's appearances, whether he wants only brown M&M's, etc.

I knew they weren't actually related, but if they "closed the loophole" by only putting in regulations against family members and not unrelated individuals then I would say that seems incredibly shortsighted to me. I guess I just assumed that when they closed the loophole they didn't limit it to just family members. If they did, I wonder if this guy would technically fall under some kind of agent rule?

KingGondo

Banned
I'm hearing that TCU has now lost LB Joel Hasley, who started in 10 games last season, because he wanted to "retire from football." They've been taking some pretty solid hits to the depth chart recently between this guy, the starting left tackle who quit last week, and the DB who was kicked off the team a month or two back.
I was skeptical of TCU's ability to win the Big 12 even before these latest losses. Even if Pachall returns and plays well, I have a hard time seeing them putting up enough points to win consistently in this conference. They're also the only contending team that has to travel to Stillwater, Norman, and Manhattan.

Don't get me wrong, I love Patterson and I'm rooting for them (except against OSU of course), but I think they've been overrated from the get-go.

The NFL's age restrictions are a necessity, though.

An 18-year-old straight out of high school would get murdered in the NFL. (On the field, or possibly off.)

Jumping from high school to the NBA or pro baseball isn't inconceivable, but jumping from high school to the NFL most definitely is.

Draxal

If by good shot, you mean no shot, then yeah.

The Tide has made up a lot of ground on him since March, when he listed a top three of LSU, Ohio State and Florida State. Along with the Tide, Notre Dame now rounds out his top five.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/alabama_visit_has_4-star_wr_sa.html

Rivals has rutgers listed as no interest for him

Um no. Things have changed and Farrell ( head honcho of rivals) and Friedman have him going to Rutgers as of today.

mcgruber

I was skeptical of TCU's ability to win the Big 12 even before these latest losses. Even if Pachall returns and plays well, I have a hard time seeing them putting up enough points to win consistently in this conference. They're also the only contending team that has to travel to Stillwater, Norman, and Manhattan.

Don't get me wrong, I love Patterson and I'm rooting for them (except against OSU of course), but I think they've been overrated from the get-go.

They lost their qb, top 2 rb, a star lb, and ol and dl last year. Lost by a touchdown to ou with 2s on offense for the most part.

KingGondo

Banned
They lost their qb, top 2 rb, a star lb, and ol and dl last year. Lost by a touchdown to ou with 2s on offense for the most part.
We'll see. OU honestly wasn't that great, especially toward the end of the year.

I'm basing my assessment more on schedule than anything. Hard to see them winning in Norman or Stillwater, even if OU is a bit down this season.

Their problem against us was their defense. Lunt started and we still put up over 40 points.

Nothing would make me happier than for TCU to become a perennial power, since it would really make the conference better. But it's a big adjustment to go from a minor conference to the Big 12, as WVU found out last year. Much less margin for error.

impirius

He doesn't have the greatest bodyguard of all: the Holy Spirit.

Lonestar

I knew they weren't actually related, but if they "closed the loophole" by only putting in regulations against family members and not unrelated individuals then I would say that seems incredibly shortsighted to me. I guess I just assumed that when they closed the loophole they didn't limit it to just family members. If they did, I wonder if this guy would technically fall under some kind of agent rule?

Before, when I thought he might be related, I wondered about that family loophole. But now that he's not related, it's settled. He's an agent. Might not have official credentials, but his role is the same, and he's not allowed to have one. He should have been the focus of investigation this entire time. Should look into if this guy was around during last season.

mcgruber

We'll see. OU honestly wasn't that great, especially toward the end of the year.

I'm basing my assessment more on schedule than anything. Hard to see them winning in Norman or Stillwater, even if OU is a bit down this season.

Their problem against us was their defense. Lunt started and we still put up over 40 points.

Nothing would make me happier than for TCU to become a perennial power, since it would really make the conference better. But it's a big adjustment to go from a minor conference to the Big 12, as WVU found out last year. Much less margin for error.

Score was 14-9 at half. Ill chalk it up to turnovers, failed conversions, and giving up after the offense repeatedly couldn't score

Lonestar

Tigerdroppings JFF-Gate topic is nearing 100 pages, before 24 hours is up (30 minutes away from 24 hours)

mre

It IS you!
m25wn2q.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Everyone should just relax on the Johnny Footbaw allegations. He's a qb in the SEC, therefore, the NCAA won't do shit.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Did they copy that from Texas Tech too?

Prior to the first time that Tech played TCU, OSU had played them 8 times and the series was tied at 4-4. Before the 9th game in that series was played, Tech started playing games against TCU and racked up a 3-1 record. Beginning with the next OSU-TCU game after that (which OSU won), OSU never hit .500 or below against TCU again.

Clearly they did copy beating TCU from Tech. I will add this to the list of unforgivable atrocities performed by the fighting Gondos.

Maddness

I'm so glad to have an Auburn fan back. At least until the first couple losses.

lol. I don't post on GAF in general as much as I should. I promise I'll make an effort to get on a lot!

I don't worry about losing. My 2 best friends are LSU/ND fans. I had to hear it last year either way. LSU buddy and I went to the LSU/AU game last year. I was so upset we didn't win that. Would've made the whole year worth it.

KingGondo

Banned
Prior to the first time that Tech played TCU, OSU had played them 8 times and the series was tied at 4-4. Before the 9th game in that series was played, Tech started playing games against TCU and racked up a 3-1 record. Beginning with the next OSU-TCU game after that (which OSU won), OSU never hit .500 or below against TCU again.

Clearly they did copy beating TCU from Tech. I will add this to the list of unforgivable atrocities performed by the fighting Gondos.
Damn son, that was some Pristine-level research.

Draxal

I must admit I'm impressed, this is my favorite CFB meme of the year.

edit. I really miss John L Smith.

andycapps

lol. I don't post on GAF in general as much as I should. I promise I'll make an effort to get on a lot!

I don't worry about losing. My 2 best friends are LSU/ND fans. I had to hear it last year either way. LSU buddy and I went to the LSU/AU game last year. I was so upset we didn't win that. Would've made the whole year worth it.
In all seriousness, the more the merrier.

I am shocked at this news:
@Sheadixon: One answer is in: Jeremy Hill is back on the #LSU team. The team voted him back on after his legal bout.

Lonestar

Oh, apparently, A&M Hired some lawyers for this JFF mess. The same Lawyers that Auburn hired during the Cam mess.

As this guy on twitter wrote:
David Murphy ‏@ByDavidMurphy 3m
Lawyers making money off schools making money off athletes not being allowed to make money off own image. The NCAA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom