• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 12 - Big 12 Championship Weekend Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

Playing for overtime is lame. Play to win the game.

OU had 20 yards total offense in the 4th quarter and had their starting QB knocked out of the game, had a backup in that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and their two starting RBs were gimped by injuries

Kicking that xp was playing to win the game. Going for two was just stupidity.

Second player I've seen today that clearly was completely knocked out during a play. One from a helmet to helmet, this one from hitting the ground.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So, it's almost bowling time, and there's a chance that a small amount of 5-7 teams could find their way into a bowl berth. Out of the 80 spots this year, 71 seats at the table have been claimed so far. With nine tickets still up for grabs, here's a list of who's still in the hunt and what they face (2013-14 APR in parentheses, which defines who gets first go if they don't make it):

One win away, one/two game to go (One win = bowl eligible, one/two losses = 5-7 consideration):
  1. Nebraska (985) -- Week 13: Iowa
  2. Indiana (977) – Week 13: at Purdue
  3. Virginia Tech (977) -- Week 13: at Virginia
  4. Washington (977) – Week 13: at Washington St.
  5. Missouri (976) -- Week 13: at Arkansas
  6. Minnesota (975) – Week 13: Wisconsin
  7. San Jose St. (975) – Week 13: at Boise St.
  8. Illinois (973) -- Week 13: Northwestern
  9. Old Dominion (951) -- Week 13: Florida Atlantic
  10. East Carolina (950) -- Week 13: Cincinnati
  11. Buffalo (948) -- Week 13: Massachusetts
  12. Kentucky (945) – Week 13: Louisville
  13. South Alabama (5-5) (943) -- Week 13: at Georgia Southern, Week 14: Appalachian St.
  14. Tulsa (941) -- Week 13: at Tulane

One win away, no games left (5-7 consideration only):
  1. Florida International (933) -- Week 13: none (APR too low and not enough spots left, season over)

Two wins away, two games to go (Win both games = bowl eligible, win one = 5-7 consideration, lose both = done):
  1. Kansas St. (976) – Week 13: at Kansas, Week 14: W. Virginia
  2. Texas (958) -- Week 13: Texas Tech, Week 14: at Baylor
  3. Louisiana-Lafayette (953) -- Week 13: at Appalachian St., Week 14: Troy
  4. Georgia St. (940) – Week 13: Troy, Week 14: Georgia Southern

Two wins out, but only one game left (needs to win to reach 5-7 consideration):
  1. Vanderbilt (983) – Week 13: at Tennessee
  2. Rice (973) – Week 13: Charlotte
  3. UTEP (954) – Week 13: at North Texas

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Stanford has the most boring atmosphere ever.

Christian McCaffrey is Stanfords entire offense it seems.

Goff has missed so many passes.

That is all.

So many missed opportunities for Cal. Blah.

it must be frustrating if you were a fan of them.

I havent seen them play this year, but from watching todays game is it a case of Goff and the offence being good but the defense is absolutely hopeless?

Or is McGaffrey too good?

K.Sabot

You know when you think about it...

Baker Mayfield with a concussion > Trevor Knight lol

16 points in 12 minutes vs 7 points in an entire half (and that was thanks to a lucky breakaway run for 70 yards)

also I forgot that TCU had already failed a 2 point conversion earlier in the game, what kind of foresight lol.

Draxal

So, it's almost bowling time, and there's a chance that a small amount of 5-7 teams could find their way into a bowl berth. Out of the 80 spots this year, 71 seats at the table have been claimed so far. With nine tickets still up for grabs, here's a list of who's still in the hunt and what they face (2013-14 APR in parentheses, which defines who gets first go if they don't make it):

One win away, one/two game to go (One win = bowl eligible, one/two losses = 5-7 consideration):
  1. Nebraska (985) -- Week 13: Iowa
  2. Indiana (977) – Week 13: at Purdue
  3. Virginia Tech (977) -- Week 13: at Virginia
  4. Washington (977) – Week 13: at Washington St.
  5. Missouri (976) -- Week 13: at Arkansas
  6. Minnesota (975) – Week 13: Wisconsin
  7. Illinois (973) -- Week 13: Northwestern
  8. Old Dominion (951) -- Week 13: Florida Atlantic
  9. East Carolina (950) -- Week 13: Cincinnati
  10. Buffalo (948) -- Week 13: Massachusetts
  11. Kentucky (945) – Week 13: Louisville
  12. South Alabama (5-5) (943) -- Week 13: at Georgia Southern, Week 14: Appalachian State
  13. Tulsa (941) -- Week 13: at Tulane

One win away, no games left (5-7 consideration only):
  1. Florida International (933) -- Week 13: none

Two wins away, two games to go (Win both games = bowl eligible, win one = 5-7 consideration, lose both = done):
  1. Kansas St. (976) – Week 13: at Kansas, Week 14: W. Virginia
  2. San Jose St. (975) – (Currently winning at Hawai’i 35-0), Week 13: at Boise St.
  3. Georgia St. (940) – Week 13: Troy, Week 14: Georgia Southern

Two wins out, but only one game left (needs to win to reach 5-7 consideration):
  1. Vanderbilt (983) – Week 13: at Tennessee
  2. Rice (973) – Week 13: Charlotte
  3. UTEP (954) – Week 13: at North Texas

You forgot about the team that beat two weeks ago, and I would hate to backdoor into it that way.

If Texas finishes 5-7 and is offered a bowl game, I hope they respectfully decline. I'm sure we'll accept the game because of the money and extra weeks of practice but it wouldn't feel right

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You forgot about the team that beat two weeks ago, and I would hate to backdoor into it that way.

If Texas finishes 5-7 and is offered a bowl game, I hope they respectfully decline. I'm sure we'll accept the game because of the money and extra weeks of practice but it wouldn't feel right

Whoops, thanks. Also forgot Louisiana-Lafayette who are in the same boat.

Their APR means they probably won't anyways. A lot of teams will have to lose and the right ones will have to for them to make the cutoff for 5-7 teams.

Draxal

Whoops, thanks. Also forgot Louisiana-Lafayette who are in the same boat.

Their APR means they probably won't anyways. A lot of teams will have to lose for them to make the cutoff for 5-7 teams.

Let's just say to go bowling after beating Indiana, Maryland, Army, Norfolk State, and Kansas ... we really don't deserve to go bowling.

With has bad as Nebraska has looked, a win over Iowa and a bowl trip would mean this season was a success. Those extra practices would be huge and a win streak that included two top 6 teams would mean a ton of momentum going into 2016

But going to a bowl at 5-7
fWKvSrO.jpg

pa22word

With has bad as Nebraska has looked, a win over Iowa and a bowl trip would mean this season was a success. Those extra practices would be huge and a win streak that included two top 6 teams would mean a ton of momentum going into 2016

fWKvSrO.jpg

5-7 toilet bowl between texas and nebraska would be awesome to see

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

fWKvSrO.jpg

As bad of taste that it might leave in our collective mouths, I'd still take it, honestly.

UCF vs. Kansas is the real matchup I want to see.

Currently they are #1 and #2 respectively in ESPN's "Bottom 10" poll. I wish the top two teams on that poll got to play in a bowl game to decide the worst of the worst. That would be fun for fans, but insulting to the teams and players so it would never happen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Props to Clemson. They're the only team that was shown up for all of their big games this season and pulled out a win.

Test match for Reverse Football: teams do everything in their power to make the other team win.
Apparently some coaches at UCF have stopped trying. Cleaned out offices and no longer partipate in game planning/film sessions.

So that's great. I'd think you keep working as hard as possible to either fight for a job with the new staff or to put themselves in positions to be competitive for openings nationally.

thefro

I think the big schools that go to a bowl game every year don't realize how big those extra weeks are. Really screws over the teams that don't go to bowls.

Piggus

it must be frustrating if you were a fan of them.

I havent seen them play this year, but from watching todays game is it a case of Goff and the offence being good but the defense is absolutely hopeless?

Or is McGaffrey too good?

I was a fan for that particular game since a Cal win would have all but guaranteed Oregon playing in the Pac12 championship again. Cal's D isn't great, but it's their redzone performance and inability to finish drives that doomed them.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
SID Poll:

1 Clemson 11-0 1590 58 1 0 1/12
2 Alabama 10-1 1531 5 3 1 2/13
3 Iowa 11-0 1419 1 6 3 6/NR
4 Notre Dame 10-1 1373 0 5 1 5/15
5 Oklahoma 10-1 1364 0 7 2 7/19
6 Michigan State 10-1 1302 0 9 3 2/14
7 Baylor 9-1 1201 0 10 3 2/10
8 Ohio State 10-1 1138 0 2 -6 1/2
9 Florida 10-1 1047 0 8 -1 8/NR
10 Oklahoma State 10-1 956 0 4 -6 4/NR
11 North Carolina 10-1 929 0 12 1 12/NR
12 Stanford 9-2 881 0 15 3 7/NR
12 Michigan 9-2 881 0 13 1 13/NR
14 Florida State 9-2 783 0 16 2 6/18
15 Navy 9-1 674 0 19 4 19/NR
16 Texas Christian 9-2 626 0 11 -5 2/12
17 Northwestern 9-2 569 0 21 4 14/NR
18 Oregon 8-3 482 0 22 4 5/NR
19 Mississippi 8-3 383 0 25 6 5/NR
21 Houston 10-1 256 0 14 -7 14/NR
22 Mississippi State 8-3 230 0 25 3 20/NR
23 UCLA 8-3 224 0 27 4 10/NR
24 Temple 9-2 116 0 33 9 21/NR
25 Utah 8-3 101 0 18 -7 7/NR

*Hi/Low Rankings
Hi/Low = The highest and lowest ranking each team has held during the designated season. Any team that starts the season unranked and/or falls out of the top 25 during the season will reflect a "NR" (not ranked) designation as its lowest rank.

Schools Dropped Out
No. 17 LSU, No. 20 Wisconsin, No. 24 Southern California.

Others Receiving Votes
LSU 82; Toledo 69; Wisconsin 58; Texas A&M 54; Pittsburgh 46; Georgia 34; Southern California 27; Western Kentucky 12; Arkansas 7; Air Force 6; West Virginia 6; Bowling Green 5; Brigham Young 5; San Diego State 3; Appalachian State 2; Arkansas State 1.

He lost to Uconn yesterday, so it wasn't great for him either.

Herman missed Ohio State, so he decided to copy them by losing yesterday

also, P5 conference championships and all that:

ACC
Clemson vs UNC

Big 12
Oklahoma wins the Big 12 if they beat Oklahoma State
Baylor wins the Big 12 if they win out AND Oklahoma loses
Oklahoma State wins if they win AND Baylor loses

Big Ten
Iowa vs Michigan State/Michigan/Ohio State
Big Ten East:
Michigan State wins if they beat Penn State
Ohio State/Michigan win if they win AND Michigan State loses

Pac-12
Stanford vs winner of UCLA/USC

SEC
Florida vs Alabama/Ole Miss

Alabama is in if they win OR Ole Miss loses
Ole Miss is in if they win AND Alabama loses

oh and since the G5 team probably comes from the AAC unless USF screws it all up:

AAC
Navy/Houston winner vs Temple/USF

Temple is in if they win OR USF loses (but USF plays UCF so lol)
USF is in if they win AND Temple loses

ag-my001

I wonder how much of the Rhodes firing was due to how well Iowa is doing this year. Both schools have gone with a longer term approach, but only one has seen dividends (albeit this year only so far). Exactly what are the expectations in Ames? How good is good enough playing in the Big 12?

I wonder how much of the Rhodes firing was due to how well Iowa is doing this year. Both schools have gone with a longer term approach, but only one has seen dividends (albeit this year only so far). Exactly what are the expectations in Ames? How good is good enough playing in the Big 12?

Apparently shutting out Texas isn't good enough these days. Not even for Iowa State

El_Chino

ESPN said 12 FBS openings.

Brett McMurphy
@McMurphyESPN
"Now 12 FBS openings: Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa State, Maryland, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, South Carolina, UCF, ULM, USC, Virginia Tech"
Wow. Only so many to people hire.

Also LOL at the new AP Poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom