• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 12 - Big 12 Championship Weekend Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

I wonder how much of the Rhodes firing was due to how well Iowa is doing this year. Both schools have gone with a longer term approach, but only one has seen dividends (albeit this year only so far). Exactly what are the expectations in Ames? How good is good enough playing in the Big 12?
Bowl eligibility.

inm8num2

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Iowa
4. Notre Dame
5. Oklahoma
6. Michigan State
7. Baylor
8. Ohio State
9. Oklahoma State
10. Florida
11. North Carolina
12. Michigan
13. Stanford
14. Florida State
15. TCU
16. Navy
17. Northwestern
18. Oregon
19. Ole Miss
20. Washington State
21. Houston
22. UCLA
23. Mississippi State
24. Toledo
25. Temple

I wonder how much of the Rhodes firing was due to how well Iowa is doing this year. Both schools have gone with a longer term approach, but only one has seen dividends (albeit this year only so far). Exactly what are the expectations in Ames? How good is good enough playing in the Big 12?
I would say Rhodes' firing has almost nothing to do with Iowa's performance. The only similarity between the programs is that they're in the same state and have to play each other. The expectations for each are wildly different.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/11/les_miles_tenure_at_lsu_may_be.html

The source said Miles' future at LSU is not tied to the outcome of the Tigers' game against Texas A&M on Saturday at Tiger Stadium. "It will have no bearing on what we do with him", the source said.

To that end, representatives of the football program have begun to vet potential replacements for Miles through back channels, the source said, with a preference for an established head coach. Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher is the main target for many foundation members, the source said. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, TCU head coach Gary Patterson and even former NFL coach Jon Gruden have also been mentioned as candidates.

Also rumors going around LSU that he'll be fired Monday and Coach O will be the interim. Do with this info what you will.

I think it was the wrong move to fire Paul Rhodes. It's not like ISU is going to do any better and he's a decent coach.
Agreed. My ISU friends seemed to love him, plus he beat Iowa often enough that he should've earned a better parting. Not to mention his buyout or ISU's relative attractiveness as a coaching destination this year. So very ISU-like.

Dsyndrome

Les Miles 2016, calling it now.
image_preview.jpeg

It'd be funny if they got jumped randomly during conference championship week.
By who? The Pac 12? Stanford has played 2 top 50 defenses and is 1-1. Nd has played seven and is 6-1. The big xii doesn't have a championship game. It's going to be acc, sec, big 10 champ (unless it's Michigan), ND or Big XII champ if Notre Dame loses to Stanford.

By who? The Pac 12? Stanford has played 2 top 50 defenses and is 1-1. Nd has played seven and is 6-1. The big xii doesn't have a championship game. It's going to be acc, sec, big 10 champ (unless it's Michigan), ND or Big XII champ if Notre Dame loses to Stanford.

My top 4 (that I expect to make it, not just today)

1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Michigan State
4) Notre Dame

Others who control their destiny
5) Iowa
6) Florida

Need a loss
7) Oklahoma (or a very, very impressive win)
8) Ohio State (Michigan State at Penn State)

Need 2 losses
9) Baylor (OK & a top 4)
10) OK State (Baylor and a top 4)

Need Insanity ( I can't even quantify what it would take)
11) Stanford
12) Michigan
13) North Carolina

No Chance
14) Florida State
15) TCU

jjasper

So looks like LSU is on the fast track of joining Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, etc. and firing a championship coach. Even one upping all of them and firing someone who has never even had a losing season. Congrats to them and enjoy the plunge into the darkness.

inm8num2

So few people around the media seem to be talking about Iowa. If MSU faces them in the B1G title game, I think they'll get out-chipontheshoulder'ed by an Iowa team seemingly with even more to prove.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So looks like LSU is on the fast track of joining Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, etc. and firing a championship coach. Even one upping all of them and firing someone who has never even had a losing season. Congrats to them and enjoy the plunge into the darkness.

LSU falling into darkness for a few years like Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida, would make our revenge tour complete. All you bastards now will now know the darkness reached by Alabama from 97-2007.

Also, I'd put UNC as completely out. A loss to South Carolina? That's like a black hole, destroying everything you've ever known, sitting on your schedule.

VRMN

So few people around the media seem to be talking about Iowa. If MSU faces them in the B1G title game, I think they'll get out-chipontheshoulder'ed by an Iowa team seemingly with even more to prove.

We'll see. I think it's probable that Iowa will be ahead of MSU in the CFP rankings just the same as they're ahead in the AP and Coaches' polls. (And they should be, for the record; as probably-shouldn't-have-happened as that loss to Nebraska is, a loss is a loss and that was a bad one.)

The media isn't talking about them because they haven't really had a marque game for them to talk about. They will be talked about ahead of the B1G championship game, for certain.

UW has been a fucking joke for over 20 years. I'm surprised you were even motivated to make this post. They're barely more relevant than WSU. Even that's questionable.

I got the number from my good friend Kenneth Arthur who is a big time WSU fan (and alum). But yes, UW won a MNC in 1991 and has erased itself from the national conciousness since then.

Iowa isn't even favored this weekend!

It'd be kind of entertaining in an evil way if LSU fires Les Miles, USC hires him and then he just goes back to winning 10+ games a year at USC. I mean if he got the USC job his biggest weakness (an inability to recruit competent QBs) would be handled for him since Orange County basically churns them out every year.

inm8num2

We'll see. I think it's probable that Iowa will be ahead of MSU in the CFP rankings just the same as they're ahead in the AP and Coaches' polls. (And they should be, for the record; as probably-shouldn't-have-happened as that loss to Nebraska is, a loss is a loss and that was a bad one.)

The media isn't talking about them because they haven't really had a marque game for them to talk about. They will be talked about ahead of the B1G championship game, for certain.

Yes I agree with all that, but all season the narrative has been that the B1G's East champion will win the conference (I realize that division is stronger). Even as an undefeated top 5 time, I think Iowa is going to surprise whomever they face in 2 weeks.

Iowa isn't even favored this weekend!

I just checked...looks like Iowa's giving up 1-3 points in early odds.

VRMN

Yes I agree with all that, but all season the narrative has been that the B1G's East champion will win the conference (I realize that division is stronger). Even as an undefeated top 5 time, I think Iowa is going to surprise whomever they face in 2 weeks.

I do think Iowa has been underrated by the media, but the polls took them seriously after they passed their one real test to date against Northwestern. They're on the inside looking out right now and only need to take care of business to get in. It's hard for the #3 team to go, "man, no one believes in us," when the polls indicate that people definitely believe in them. Dantonio may play that card a little harder than is warranted, but at least he has "they were knocking us down in the polls for being undefeated" and "literally no one thought we could beat OSU." I'm not sure what Iowa has for "disrespect" ammo. That they're a quiet #3 that kind of snuck in there while no one was looking? I don't see a lot of people saying they're overrated.

All that said, I do agree that the B1G championship is hardly a gimme, be it OSU, UM, or MSU against them. I just doubt any of those teams are looking past Iowa.

I just checked...looks like Iowa's giving up 1-3 points in early odds.

Texas opens up as a 2 point favorite over Tech.

Disappointing, but honestly not all that unexpected.

Some of the lines I am looking at putting some money on this week:

Texas Tech +1.5pts
Nebraska +2.5pts - Iowa will lose this, but will be competitive in the B1G championship game. This game has upset all over it IMO.
TCU +1.5pts
Ohio St +1.5pts (I was wrong, I was thinking theyd still open as favourites)
Georgia Tech +4.5pts - is this a rivalry game? If GT is ever going to beat Georgia, this is the week.
Oklahoma St +4.5pts- might be worthwhile if Mayfield is out....
Miss St +1pts
Notre Dame +3.5pts
Florida +2pts
TAM +5pts - is LSU ready to totally implode?

inm8num2

I'm not sure what Iowa has for "disrespect" ammo. That they're a quiet #3 that kind of snuck in there while no one was looking?

That they're expected to lose to Nebraska, and that the media mostly expects the B1G East champ to beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom