• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week Ten Thread: Unranked Miami Upends Ranked Duke

El_Chino

Oh we taking care of it, don't worry

NBzxmcU.gif

giphy.gif

If I may suggest, your money (and enjoyment) would be better spent going to a big home game of a major team. Championship game atmospheres are kinda sterile, if you want the real college expereince go to LSU/BAMA, OSU/Michigan, etc

I would rather go to almost any home Notre Dame game over a bowl game of any kind and I'd rather go to a home Notre Dame/USC game over just about any other sporting event. Nothing beats the atmosphere of a home college football game. I just feel bad for teams that don't have their stadiums on campus.

Dsyndrome

I would rather go to almost any home Notre Dame game over a bowl game of any kind and I'd rather go to a home Notre Dame/USC game over just about any other sporting event. Nothing beats the atmosphere of a home college football game. I just feel bad for teams that don't have their stadiums on campus.

I was there for the Bush Push, will never forget that shit, even though it's legal now.

I was there for the Bush Push, will never forget that shit, even though it's legal now.

I was there too. I was "this" close to running onto the field when we thought time had run out. 4 years of Charlie Weis was the cruelest curse I can imagine. At least that game didn't make me an alcoholic like it did to Tom Zbikowski.

Amen. Just an awesome time. And something about getting sloshed at a tailgate and game and being able to stumble a few hundred yards to your dorm.

2007 Texas and 2013 Houston are some of the best campus experiences I've been a part of. Plenty of other games were great in between that too.

cdyhybrid

My favorite in-game memory is probably Dan Howell returning an interception for a TD to seal a win over UCLA a week after his dad died. One of the very few highlights of the Willingham era. I've been in the stadium for bigger wins, but that was a hell of a moment. The crowd went absolutely bonkers.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seeing Chris Rix throw a bomb to win the game against the Gators at Ben Hill Griffin was pretty great.

I am really glad Gators aren't Raider fans, or worse Miami fans.

Amen. Just an awesome time. And something about getting sloshed at a tailgate and game and being able to stumble a few hundred yards to your dorm.

2007 Texas and 2013 Houston are some of the best campus experiences I've been a part of. Plenty of other games were great in between that too.

I wasn't at UT in 2007 but I was in 2009 and went to UCF @ Texas that year. UCF's offense sucked but they did a pretty good job keeping Colt McCoy from lighting up the scoreboard.

Ryuuroden

I will always remember the 1998 OSU-Michigan game which was one of the first games I ever attended. I was near midfield in A deck and I got to watch Joe Germaine and David Boston destroy Michigan. David Boston catching for more than 200 yards and Joe Germaine going toe to toe with Tom Brady. We stormed the field after the win because we never beat Michigan in the Cooper era and I took a chunk of grass as a souvenir which is still growing in a special spot in the garden at my parents house (The field was being torn up for renovations over the winter anyways)

Watching an interview with Jeff Fisher right now and he mentioned that Todd Gurley had never met Herschel Walker until this week. That seems kind of crazy in a way.

MrJames

Seeing Chris Rix throw a bomb to win the game against the Gators at Ben Hill Griffin was pretty great.

I am really glad Gators aren't Raider fans, or worse Miami fans.

Wasn't that the "Swindle in the Swamp" game? They switched to home team conference officials after that one.

If I may suggest, your money (and enjoyment) would be better spent going to a big home game of a major team. Championship game atmospheres are kinda sterile, if you want the real college expereince go to LSU/BAMA, OSU/Michigan, etc

LSU/BAMA will be in Red Stick next year and will almost certainly be a night game. You should aim to attend that game if decide to go to an LSU game next year.

Ok thanks for the advice.

I want to go to a SEC game. Im not trying to troll, but they do look like the most fun atmospheres out of all the Power 5 conferences with the tailgating and the weather is good (sorry Big10). I like college football but I watch it from the comfort of my lounge and during spring/summer down under, so watching football in freezing temperatures seems like a weird kind of enjoyment and something Im not keen on experiencing.

A Notre Dame game would be cool, but I dont think I will be up in the north of the country to see them play.

I have penciled in a trip to NYC, then down to Maryland and Washington DC with my parents (they are doing a big USA trip). I was then going to leave them and head over to New Orleans to see my friend and some college football. Not sure if I will have enough time and money saved up but if I do I will be over there around Sept/Oct next year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

I want to go to a SEC game. Im not trying to troll, but they do look like the most fun atmospheres out of all the Power 5 conferences with the tailgating and the weather is good (sorry Big10). I like college football but I watch it from the comfort of my lounge and during spring/summer down under, so watching football in freezing temperatures seems like a weird kind of enjoyment and something Im not keen on experiencing.

A Notre Dame game would be cool, but I dont think I will be up in the north of the country to see them play.

I have penciled in a trip to NYC, then down to Maryland and Washington DC with my parents (they are doing a big USA trip). I was then going to leave them and head over to New Orleans to see my friend and some college football. Not sure if I will have enough time and money saved up but if I do I will be over there around Sept/Oct next year.
I have bad news for you if attending a football game in "freezing temperatures" is something you're looking forward to.

andycapps

Watching an interview with Jeff Fisher right now and he mentioned that Todd Gurley had never met Herschel Walker until this week. That seems kind of crazy in a way.

I don't know that that's true. I know that Herschel was around last year when Nick Chubb was running like crazy and Gurley was out. Would have thought he would have also talked with Gurley. I know he comes around a couple times a year to the team. Maybe it was a timing thing.

Fisher also thinks that Gurley is better than AP. We'll see about that, but he's had a hell of a start in the pros. And I don't even think he's 100% in coming back from the ACL.

I have bad news for you if attending a football game in "freezing temperatures" is something you're looking forward to.

He said hes not Keen on it, plus its only freezing sometimes in B1G country! Like this weeks its been around 70, but a few weeks back vs Penn St it was 35. All part of the fun.

mre

He said hes not Keen on it, plus its only freezing sometimes in B1G country! Like this weeks its been around 70, but a few weeks back vs Penn St it was 35. All part of the fun.
Yeah, I glossed over that part after the "weird type of enjoyment." You are correct about that.

Dsyndrome

BONUS (Total # of TDs by the offenses of the below teams) - 20

Thursday
Baylor (-17.5) v. KSU: COVER

Saturday
Notre Dame (-9.5) v. Pitt: COVER
Duke v. UNC (-7.5): NO COVER
Stanford (-16.5) v. Colorado: NO COVER
Florida State v. Clemson (-13.5): COVER
Arkansas v. Mississippi (-14.5): NO COVER
Rutgers v. Michigan (-26.5): COVER
Minnesota v. Ohio State (-23.5): NO COVER
Kansas v. Texas (-21.5): NO COVER
Cal v. Oregon (-3.5): COVER

Cyan's negative outlook on Cal football disgusts me.

If you want to go cheer for a program that wins all the time, go root for LSU!

Oh wait, that's what you did! GUESS WHAT CYAN? A BEAR CAN KILL A TIGER! AND FAIR WEATHER FANS!

Silkworm

I hope the rumor about UGA firing Pruitt, their DC, is true. UGA's offense has been terrific and I hope Richt stays as head coach for years and years to come. ;-)

andycapps

I hope the rumor about UGA firing Pruitt, their DC, is true. UGA's offense has been terrific and I hope Richt stays as head coach for years and years to come. ;-)

Why the fuck would they fire Pruitt? The only way he gets fired is if they fire Richt, and whoever comes in fires him as he wants to bring in his own hires. Pruitt has been the least of our problems this year and his defense is performing great given the youth of the players and the piss poor position the offense has been putting them in.

That said, there is a lot of talk right now that he's made a ton of enemies in there with how he handles business. The Saban style of scorched earth through the department is not something UGA admin is used to. Fran Tarkenton even put him on blast in an article today. And Tarkenton is a big donor.

At this point if Richt goes, I think our best case scenario if we can't get one of the wish list coaches right away is to get Bobo back as head coach and OC and keep Pruitt as DC.

mre

Why the fuck would they fire Pruitt? The only way he gets fired is if they fire Richt, and whoever comes in fires him as he wants to bring in his own hires. Pruitt has been the least of our problems this year and his defense is performing great given the youth of the players and the piss poor position the offense has been putting them in.

That said, there is a lot of talk right now that he's made a ton of enemies in there with how he handles business. The Saban style of scorched earth through the department is not something UGA admin is used to. Fran Tarkenton even put him on blast in an article today. And Tarkenton is a big donor.

At this point if Richt goes, I think our best case scenario if we can't get one of the wish list coaches right away is to get Bobo back as head coach and OC and keep Pruitt as DC.
Here are the rumors: http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/is-pruitt-gone/59906419/

Silkworm

Hey I don't understand the thinking of firing Pruitt either. Of course it's just a rumor so it may not amount to anything. Hopefully that's all it is as infidelity isn't exactly a joking matter :-\ Of course if they do fire Pruitt and it ends up being because he's rubbed too many boosters and/or staff the wrong way, c'est la vie.

andycapps

Given these rumors come from the Dawgvent, I expect Pruitt to be named Head Coach in waiting by the end of the day. Still, I wonder what they think he did. Thus far the only thing I've seen actual beat writers say regarding Pruitt is that he's not popular there, though he's been groomed to be the head coach in waiting already, though the overall performance of the team this year has hurt his prospects in that.

Hey I don't understand the thinking of firing Pruitt either. Of course it's just a rumor so it may not amount to anything. Hopefully that's all it is as infidelity isn't exactly a joking matter :-\ Of course if they do fire Pruitt and it ends up being because he's rubbed too many boosters and/or staff the wrong way, c'est la vie.

A part of me wishes that if Richt got the boot that they just start over from scratch, but I'm okay with Pruitt. I could see him being an ass to work with, but I do feel like if he was promoted to head coach that you'd see a lot of staffers bailing out, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the team suddenly got a lot better. He's ridiculously detail oriented like Richt used to be when he first started.

ryseing

Hit Ole Miss and the Grove. On my bucket list as well.

But yeah. Whatever you do, definitely go to a big home game. Atmosphere with the students is so much better than a bowl game.

andycapps

Reading that SECrant thread, people are saying his office is empty, that he's already been fired. FootballScoop also posting about major changes coming at UGA. They're usually right.

Lot of people hinting at shit on Twitter. You guys may be right, Pruitt may be gone and it doesn't sound like it's due to his on-field coaching.

Draxal

Reading that SECrant thread, people are saying his office is empty, that he's already been fired. FootballScoop also posting about major changes coming at UGA. They're usually right.

Lot of people hinting at shit on Twitter. You guys may be right, Pruitt may be gone and it doesn't sound like it's due to his on-field coaching.

It sounds like he pulled a good old Buddy Ryan.

Jerm411

They just need to blow the entire thing up and start new...

andycapps

Jerm411 said:
@davidpollack47 It could be an interesting day in Athens today.

That and a couple others were what made me think that some people are getting their boxes packed today.

Mark Richt has it all under control

This gif from the secrant thread is pretty appropriate. I wonder if Pruitt really tried to fight Thomas Brown or whatever went on between them. Thomas Brown is a former RB for UGA and is jacked, set records in his time there for being the strongest player pound for pound. Wouldn't want to mess with him.

Z6aKUyp.gif

andycapps

Looks like Dick Rod will go to Vtech.

That leaves Kirby Smart open for UGA. I'd take that. Fuente is who everyone seems to want though right now.

I am having a really hard time focusing on work today. I wish they'd get all the news over with.

El_Chino

That and a couple others were what made me think that some people are getting their boxes packed today.

This gif from the secrant thread is pretty appropriate. I wonder if Pruitt really tried to fight Thomas Brown or whatever went on between them. Thomas Brown is a former RB for UGA and is jacked, set records in his time there for being the strongest player pound for pound. Wouldn't want to mess with him.

Z6aKUyp.gif
What was Spurrier doing there haha

Draxal

That leaves Kirby Smart open for UGA. I'd take that. Fuente is who everyone seems to want though right now.

I am having a really hard time focusing on work today. I wish they'd get all the news over with.

I'm all on the Babers train for Rutgers.

Jerm411

For me it would be...

Chip Kelly
Dabo Sweeney
Pat Fitzgerald
Dan Mullen

In that order...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Z6aKUyp.gif

all-is-well-o.gif

andycapps

For me it would be...

Chip Kelly
Dabo Sweeney
Pat Fitzgerald
Dan Mullen

In that order...

I respectfully disagree with all of those except Dabo. And I don't think Dabo is leaving. He's got a good thing going at Clemson. He's winning all those recruiting battles against Sakerlina and has his team playing great. I just don't see it.

Chip Kelly would be worse with our admin than Pruitt has been. Plus his system is completely opposite of what we run. Fitzgerald isn't going anywhere. I'm not impressed with Dan Mullen, though I think we could do much worse. He may do better at a place like UGA with better athletes to work with.

My list, in no order would be:

Kirby Smart
Jimbo Fisher
Justin Fuente
Mike Bobo
Doug Nussmeier? (This is a really out there pick and I'm prob alone on this but I like his offenses)

andycapps

Expanding on my post above though, if you're going to fire Richt or get him to step down, it sends the message that you're not okay with 10 win seasons. You expect to compete for championships. If you want that, you've got to start throwing out the big money to the top coaches that actually have competed for a championship already. That's when the admin has to reach out to dissatisfied donors and say "Okay, you want us to go after a Les Miles or a Jimbo Fisher, put up or shut up with your donations."

My post above is what I consider as being reasonable shots of actually taking the job, though Fisher is more of a stretch. That isn't necessarily my dream list. that list only has Jon Gruden on it. :jnc

from some NFL guy:

chaps ?@UncleChaps 12m12 minutes ago
I'm hearing that Pruitt struck Mark Richt when the head coach informed Pruitt that he was being let go. "I shouldn't be the fall guy here."

BONUS (Total # of TDs by the offenses of the below teams) - 25

Thursday
Baylor (-17.5) v. KSU: COVER

Saturday
Notre Dame (-9.5) v. Pitt: COVER
Duke v. UNC (-7.5): COVER
Stanford (-16.5) v. Colorado: COVER
Florida State v. Clemson (-13.5): no COVER
Arkansas v. Mississippi (-14.5): COVER
Rutgers v. Michigan (-26.5): No COVER
Minnesota v. Ohio State (-23.5): NO COVER
Kansas v. Texas (-21.5): NO COVER
Cal v. Oregon (-3.5): No COVER

Jerm411

I respectfully disagree with all of those except Dabo. And I don't think Dabo is leaving. He's got a good thing going at Clemson. He's winning all those recruiting battles against Sakerlina and has his team playing great. I just don't see it.

Chip Kelly would be worse with our admin than Pruitt has been. Plus his system is completely opposite of what we run. Fitzgerald isn't going anywhere. I'm not impressed with Dan Mullen, though I think we could do much worse. He may do better at a place like UGA with better athletes to work with.

My list, in no order would be:

Kirby Smart
Jimbo Fisher
Justin Fuente
Mike Bobo
Doug Nussmeier? (This is a really out there pick and I'm prob alone on this but I like his offenses)

Kelly's system is opposite of what Richt runs...which is antiquated as hell.

Fitzgerald and Sweeney would def. listen, hell almost every coach in the country would at least listen.

If you fire Richt...you have to go get a big time, established coach that's shown he can win.

Top Bottom