• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Batman and Fables this week. Maybe I'll check out Orchid if I can find it. DC has.given me a huge way to get out of hero books for the most part, I'm grateful.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
zoner said:
They're doing a pretty big crossover soon with a bunch of IDW stuff soon. I know TMNT and Transformers are in.

Is that the one where Star Trek, Transformers, Ghostbusters, and TMNT fight zombies?

notworksafe

Ookami-kun said:
Is that the one where Star Trek, Transformers, Ghostbusters, and TMNT fight zombies?
They did that with Transformers, GI Joe, Ghostbusters, and Star Trek this past summer and it was awesome.

Ookami-kun said:

Yeah Infestation 2- http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2046/

EDIT: holy crap, it's going to hit the D&D title too this time. =)

INFESTATION 2 #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores on January 25, 2012.

INFESTATION 2: TRANSFORMERS #1 and #2 will be in stores on February 1 and 15, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: EBERRON #1 and #2 will be in stores on February 8 and 22, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: TEAM-UP will be in stores on February 29, 2012.

INFESTATION 2: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1 and #2 will be in stores on March 7 and 21, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: G.I. JOE #1 and #2 will be in stores on March 14 and 28, 2012, respectively.

INFESTATION 2: 30 DAYS OF NIGHT will be in stores on April 4, 2012.

INFESTATION 2 #2 will be available in stores on April 11, 2012.

Chairhome

Late on this, but read Green Lantern #2 and thought it was pretty good. Might have to at least finish this arc. How was B&R #2? Getting Batman #2 this week, undecided on Nightwing...

Justice League and Catwoman for sure. Was actually surpised how much I dug Catwoman, not to mention some fantasic art and it's pretty sexy!

Don't know about Batman # 2 as i'm actually reading pre-52 Bats right now (Batman and Son Grant Morrison arc specifically) and feel like reading them both concurrently might melt my mind or something.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You have to excuse TTOB. He has a chemical imbalance in his brain that causes an unreasonable hate for 3D games, when a 2D alternative is available.

Chairhome said:
Late on this, but read Green Lantern #2 and thought it was pretty good. Might have to at least finish this arc. How was B&R #2? Getting Batman #2 this week, undecided on Nightwing...

B&R #2 was better but I'm still not totally sold. Looking forward to the
Damian/Nobody
interactions which will be telling, I'm thinking.

EDIT: OK, now I'm in!

secret-avengers2.jpg

That Beast! Less Dumb Kitty and moar Perez stylee!

Spike Spiegel said:
EDIT: Or, in Bandit's case, launch into a tirade about how corporate comics never allow their characters to age naturally because they've got to keep those cash cows young and milk-producing.

WAHAHA!

It's all true.

All of it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BATMAN #2
BLUE BEETLE #2
CAPTAIN ATOM #2
CATWOMAN #2
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #2
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #2
JUSTICE LEAGUE #2
NIGHTWING #2
WONDER WOMAN #2

Catwoman and Captain Atom are on their last chance issues. Blue Beetle isn't far behind. The rest are safe.

BenjaminBirdie said:
HAHA!! I WIN!!! MARVEL FOREVER!!!!!

Please let this be the cool Beast again. As much as I love Morrison's X-men, I will never forgive him for screwing up one of the most visually appealing characters they had. Perez' Avengers Beast was better than the rest.

Say no to Secondary Mutations.

What do you win? Will there be cupcakes?

EDIT: They should have called this Champions.

StoOgE said:
BATMAN #2
BLUE BEETLE #2
CAPTAIN ATOM #2
CATWOMAN #2
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #2
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #2
JUSTICE LEAGUE #2
NIGHTWING #2
WONDER WOMAN #2

Catwoman and Captain Atom are on their last chance issues. Blue Beetle isn't far behind. The rest are safe.

What didn't you like about Catwoman?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Been reading lately the Kamandi Omnibus that came out last month.

And it is fucking awesome, it has barely aged despite being a 30+ year book. It's also loaded with the 20 first issue of the series, there's more happening in one issue of this than in a full trade of a Geoff Johns comics and I appreciate his work.

Read it people!
U4oYX.jpg

THE KING IS HERE!

StoOgE

AgentOtaku said:
What didn't you like about Catwoman?

I liked it fine actually. It was just kind of there though, and I'm pulling too many bat books.

batman
B&R
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Batgirl
Batwoman
Catwoman

A few of them are going to have to be culled.

krypt0nian said:
Please let this be the cool Beast again. As much as I love Morrison's X-men, I will never forgive him for screwing up one of the most visually appealing characters they had. Perez' Avengers Beast was better than the rest.

Say no to Secondary Mutations.

What do you win? Will there be cupcakes?

EDIT: They should have called this Champions.

You win this:
http://twitter.com/#!/Remender/status/126021959866777601

StoOgE said:
I liked it fine actually. It was just kind of there though, and I'm pulling too many bat books.

batman
B&R
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Batgirl
Batwoman
Catwoman

A few of them are going to have to be culled.

Ouch!

StoOgE

AgentOtaku said:

Detective Comics is probably going to be cancelled too. It seems like it's going for too much "Oh, look how edgy and shocking we are" and not much "hey, this is well written and fits in continuity"

Nightwing and B&R are on the chopping block too. Just slightly less so since it appears Nightwing is going to be tied into Batman pretty heavily.

StoOgE said:
Detective Comics is probably going to be cancelled too. It seems like it's going for too much "Oh, look how edgy and shocking we are" and not much "hey, this is well written and fits in continuity"

Nightwing and B&R are on the chopping block too. Just slightly less so since it appears Nightwing is going to be tied into Batman pretty heavily.

DC will never be cancelled. It was their number two book I think.

StoOgE said:
indeed, poor choice of words on my part.

Oh, haha I hear you. I decided this weekend I'm ditching all my DC books for trade waiting. Too much money spending on X-Books and other Marvel stuff. I realized the reboot is the perfect place to make the move.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh, haha I hear you. I decided this weekend I'm ditching all my DC books for trade waiting. Too much money spending on X-Books and other Marvel stuff. I realized the reboot is the perfect place to make the move.

Don't mind the $2.99

Now $3.99 is a hard sale and yeah, i'm debating on even bothering with JL until TPB

AgentOtaku said:
Don't mind the $2.99

Now $3.99 is a hard sale and yeah, i'm debating on even bothering with JL until TPB

It's not really about the price. I have no urgency to read DC's books immediately. With the reboot there's obviously no wide reaching impact in any single book. I won't be "missing out" if I wait a few months. Or rather, many many months the way this dumb industry works. There's a bunch of Marvel books at 3 and a bunch of Marvel books at 2. Not the biggest deal anymore. I've realized I'm just way more interested in putting my weekly money towards things that I have a real compulsion to read. Who knows. In a few months I could get bored with all the X-Stuff. Who knows. Next few weeks at least, I don't really have any interest in what DC's doing right now.

BenjaminBirdie said:

DC's trade program kinda sucks, a lot of books take a long time to come out, and then sometimes the wait from HC to softcover takes forever too.

You should try going the digital route if you really wanna save money, the books are 1.99 a month after the initial publishing.

WascallyWabbit said:
DC's trade program kinda sucks, a lot of books take a long time to come out, and then sometimes the wait from HC to softcover takes forever too.

You should try going the digital route if you really wanna save money, the books are 1.99 a month after the initial publishing.

Maybe. I like having comics in print though.

StoOgE

WascallyWabbit said:

Ugg, and I hate hard covers too. Blackest night just came out this summer in softcover trades.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Maybe. I like having comics in print though.

I hear ya, dude. Me too, but after years of buying comics in issues then just buying a trade cuz it was too much of a pain to dig through my longboxes, i had to go digital.

Now I only get hardcovers of stuff i really like

BenjaminBirdie said:
Rick! Remender! is on Secret Avengers with GABRIEL!! HARDMAN!!
When does this storyline kick off?

WascallyWabbit said:
I hear ya, dude. Me too, but after years of buying comics in issues then just buying a trade cuz it was too much of a pain to dig through my longboxes, i had to go digital.

THIS. My thoughts exactly. Digital for my monthly and hardcovers for what I really enjoy.

Like I buy every Walking Dead & Invincible HC. And I need to get volumes 4 & 5 of Y the Last Man.

WascallyWabbit said:

The more that I think about it, this ain't such a bad idea. I do love the quality on my iPad. Really gorgeous. And less clutter is also great. Hm.

HM.

krypt0nian said:
Damian/Nobody

secret-avengers2.jpg

This looks like the most random assortment of characters anyone could possibly come up with

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
krypt0nian said:
Damian/Nobody

secret-avengers2.jpg

Is that jim hammond? If so ill drop some time for this.

krypt0nian said:
For longtime fans, they restored her blonde hair.
I liked the concept that Perez brought to the character, that there was a distinct familial resemblance between Hippolyta and Diana. It showed and reinforced the idea that, even though Diana wasn't born of her flesh, there was an unmistakeable mother/daughter bond present between them. Add Donna into the mix, and it made for a heartwarming visual. To me that holds more weight and meaning than, "well, she was a blonde when first introduced, so we're going back to that."

Still I have less of a problem with Hippolyta being a blonde again, after two-and-a-half decades as a brunette, and more of a problem with this depiction of "Paradise Island" as anything but. Granted it's only a few pages, but what we're shown is so very dark and featureless; there's no sense of beauty or culture or architectural prowess there, no signs of an advanced Greek society at work. And the Amazons themselves appear equally dark,featureless and uncultured; very much "what a man thinks of when he thinks 'Amazon'."

Azzarello is definitely going for something, but what he's selling is not what I want to buy.

This is pretty interesting...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/18/marvel-doubles-all-orders-of-point-one/

Pretty much every answer to every question asked during the Marvel panels at the New York Comic Con was answered with the response “Read Point One.”

Marvel are making much about how so many storylines in so many titles, from X-Men to Spider-Man to Nova to Defenders to Avengers will all see their beginnings in this upcoming one shot by all of Marvel’s great and good. But how to get enough copies into the shops so people can buy the comic when they realise its significance?

Why, by sending out twice as many copies as they actually ordered.

Which will also give shops an easy incentive to offer deals and get the books into their customers’ hands.

It will also destroy the aftermarket value, so anyone expecting to make themselves a little speculator market action on this book will be severely disappointed. But if you’re looking to get a copy to read, this should make it a whole lot easier…

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WascallyWabbit said:
General rules I've found:
* 3-5 months for hardcover to come out, then further 12 months for softcover
* 6-8 months for straight to softcovers

Satch

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
To me that holds more weight and meaning than, "well, she was a blonde when first introduced, so we're going back to that."
But she was a brunette when first introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom