• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nesotenso said:
It's been downhill since the stupid marriage.

The 90s didn't treat 'Ro that well either. She mostly just stood around in the background (I think Whilce tried to develop her before he left). Her most substantial character work since the first Claremont run was in X-Treme X-Men which was written by Claremont of course.

Slime

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
1318524972.jpg

Brian Wood. Becky Cloonan. Conan the Barbarian. "Queen of the Black Coast". HYPE.

Bu-bu-but Roy Thomas :(

Not sure how I feel about this. Seems like a really odd fit.

In case folks who picked up Orchid didn't catch it, Tom Morello is scoring each issue - at at least, releasing a free song to accompany issues as they release. There will be download codes in future issues.

http://nightwatchmanmusic.com/

Morello: “Yeah, to clarify that, each issue will have free, new Tom Morello music with it. Issue one is different from issues two through twelve. Issue one has a song from The Nightwatchmen record. It’s called, It Begins Tonight from the Worldwide Rebel Songs Record. It’s to sort of build a bridge between the two worlds so that my comic fans know sort of what I do (besides writing comics), and my music fans will as well. All the other ones will be instrumental score. I’ve scored a number of films and so using those abilities, I’ll write a sort of soundtrack for each issue.”

Sauce

Nesotenso said:

*high five*

Parallax said:
Truth. Two great tastes that don't belong together.

But they're both black! See! Never mind that Storm has had longer lasting and more intriguing relationships with characters like Forge, gotta keep them chocolate heroes together. :|

Friend was in town so we visited the shop. Picked up Superboy and Swamp Thing #1's, since I've been kind of interested in those two. On the way out I notice he had Lex Luthor: Man of Steel for $5 on the counter. I'd been interested in it for awhile, but I'd never seen it in the shop. I just read half of it....

Oh.... my..... God. This is amazing. I'm half-way through,
Lex just met Bruce Wayne
, and I want to read more, but I think I should wait until tomorrow when I'm a bit more alert. Oh man, the art is beautiful and this is the Luthor story I've been wanting for so long! I can't believe I waited so long to read this.

the chris

The Take Out Bandit said:
But they're both black! See! Never mind that Storm has had longer lasting and more intriguing relationships with characters like Forge, gotta keep them chocolate heroes together. :|
You forgot the most important part of their relationship, they're both from Africa so they are clearly made for each other.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ep85 said:
So far, Rick Remender has done no wrong in my eyes. Has he done anything notable before Uncanny X-Force and Venom? I would love to read some more of his stories.
Punisher.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
X-Men Forever mostly sucked but Storm
killing Black Panther and taking over his kingdom
was one of the greatest trolls in comic book history

i dont care for that, but wouldnt mind some sort of stipulation that would separate them. that MTU with storm and thor made me wish for better times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I didn't know there's a comic book thread O:

tmnt-idw-1-leo.jpg

IDW-2_Cover-A_Duncan.jpg

Anyway, I didn't know TMNT relaunch has started. Oh and so far it's awesome! It mixes some elements of the comics and cartoons while making its own distinction.

- Splinter is not a "rat who watched his master do martial arts" nor is "a master who became a rat man". Instead, he's a biologically altered rat that became smart, and is April's pet in the lab. When the lab was attacked by ninjas to collect the mutagen and the turtles for being specimens, he followed the ninjas and attacked them on the rooftop, causing him, the chemical, and the turtles to fall and be affected by it.
- The turtles have a similar origin - though instead of being random pets they're specimens for the chemical experiment. They still retain the original red bandannas. Their names were given by April when she was working in the lab.
- April is a scientist here. She worked in the experiment as a keeper of the animals, befriended Splinter as a rat and named the turtles.

Chriswok said:
I never bothered with the Marvel Ultimate range, until this weekend. Started with Ultimate Iron Man... so... wtf is that all about.
Lol, is it the warren Ellis Iron Man? that was all kinds of weird. Ultimates or Ultimate Spiderman would have been better starting points, oh and skip Ultimate Marvel Teamup, its good, just pointless.

Anyway, glad to see Runaways are back but damn, I miss Alex. I want him to come back and lead the team in his rightful position, betrayal be damned

Wow.

War Goddess is bad.

It's David Finch level bad.

To clarify David Finch "bad" in my terms, "How in the f*ck did this abomination escape the 90's?!"

Yeah, that bad.

Ass'n titties with no actual ass'n titties. Meanwhile I just read Jennifer Blood with exposed penis in it.

The "Bad girl" fad of the 90's survived without evolving in War Goddess.

I was hoping for a more mythology based bad ass chick, and less lipstick lesbian bullsh*t.

I haven't seen so many grotesque pokey nipples since the last time I played SF4 Chunk Li. :|

I will continue to toss myself on grenades for no good reason, but at least you guys get a free warning.

So bad. :(

Xater

Ookami-kun said:

http://doknowbutchie.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/tmnt-idw-1-leo.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IDW-2_Cover-A_Duncan.jpg[img]

Anyway, I didn't know TMNT relaunch has started. Oh and so far it's awesome! It mixes some elements of the comics and cartoons while making its own distinction.

[spoiler]
- Splinter is not a "rat who watched his master do martial arts" nor is "a master who became a rat man". Instead, he's a biologically altered rat that became smart, and is April's pet in the lab. When the lab was attacked by ninjas to collect the mutagen and the turtles for being specimens, he followed the ninjas and attacked them on the rooftop, causing him, the chemical, and the turtles to fall and be affected by it.
- The turtles have a similar origin - though instead of being random pets they're specimens for the chemical experiment. They still retain the original red bandannas. Their names were given by April when she was working in the lab.
- April is a scientist here. She worked in the experiment as a keeper of the animals, befriended Splinter as a rat and named the turtles.
[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Eastman is also one of the original creators right? Never read the original stuff, but I am intrigued by this. How is the art? Any previews around?

magnificent83 said:
Lol, is it the warren Ellis Iron Man? that was all kinds of weird. Ultimates or Ultimate Spiderman would have been better starting points, oh and skip Ultimate Marvel Teamup, its good, just pointless.

Nah, its the Orson Scott Card version with Blue Lizard Limbed Tony Stark with brains for skin. Is that actual Marvel Canon?

Ookami-kun said:

This seems interesting, might do the unmentionable and scan read it on the way back from Uni.

bangai-o

Banned
Wow.

War Goddess is bad.

It's David Finch level bad.

To clarify David Finch "bad" in my terms, "How in the f*ck did this abomination escape the 90's?!"

Yeah, that bad.

Ass'n titties with no actual ass'n titties. Meanwhile I just read Jennifer Blood with exposed penis in it.

The "Bad girl" fad of the 90's survived without evolving in War Goddess.

I was hoping for a more mythology based bad ass chick, and less lipstick lesbian bullsh*t.

I haven't seen so many grotesque pokey nipples since the last time I played SF4 Chunk Li. :|

I will continue to toss myself on grenades for no good reason, but at least you guys get a free warning.

So bad. :(
im gonna have to check that out.

Bought and read

Can't wait to see how would the ancient vamps react on the next issue, woooo

Would defenitely recommend comicGAFers to try out the American Vampire comic

HYcBz.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Xater said:
Eastman is also one of the original creators right? Never read the original stuff, but I am intrigued by this. How is the art? Any previews around?

Eastman yeah. I think Laird burned out.

Art is pretty much what you see in the cover. Here's a preview of issue 1.

bangai-o

Banned
If you really want it I will send you this copy.

PM address.
lol i remember this book on the shelf now. Although when you said David Finch i was picturing something with better artwork.

WGoddess2gore.jpg

ya, i breezed thru it. I most likely grabbed the latest Cavewoman instead.

Ookami-kun said:
Eastman yeah. I think Laird burned out.

Art is pretty much what you see in the cover. Here's a preview of issue 1.

one of our comic threads was actually titled "you better go subscribe to TNMT"

bangai-o said:
lol i remember this book on the shelf now. Although when you said David Finch i was picturing something with better artwork.

WGoddess2gore.jpg

ya, i breezed thru it. I most likely grabbed the latest Cavewoman instead.

You chose wisely.

While I wish Budd Root would return to writing and drawing the series, at least Cavewoman delivers titties at random.

I don't get it - how does Budd Root make his living? I need the secret formula to not drawing, not writing, but still having a comic running over ten years with some regularity.

Is it a day job?

Spookie

Cpt.Underpants said:
Would defenitely recommend comicGAFers to try out the American Vampire comic

Already on it and enjoying it a great deal. Waiting for the TPB of Survival couldn't afford another £15 this month trying to catch up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chriswok said:
Nah, its the Orson Scott Card version with Blue Lizard Limbed Tony Stark with brains for skin. Is that actual Marvel Canon?

This seems interesting, might do the unmentionable and scan read it on the way back from Uni.

No, the Ultimate universe is notnmarvel canon at all, all the ultimate books are off in their own side universe. Tbh I.m not even sure how ult iron man fits into the canon there, it's so out there. I kinda liked it but it is pretty odd. IMO most of the ultimate books are pretty good, atctheir worst they're readable, at their best they're some of the best stuff marvel has done in the past 10 years. You can't go far wrong with ult spiderman or the ultimates though.

Jedeye Sniv said:
No, the Ultimate universe is notnmarvel canon at all, all the ultimate books are off in their own side universe. Tbh I.m not even sure how ult iron man fits into the canon there, it's so out there. I kinda liked it but it is pretty odd. IMO most of the ultimate books are pretty good, atctheir worst they're readable, at their best they're some of the best stuff marvel has done in the past 10 years. You can't go far wrong with ult spiderman or the ultimates though.

Yeah, I should have said 'Ultimate Marvel Canon'. Seems so odd. Enjoying the E/DD stories so far, even though they're probably for girls.

Vyer

New Supes costume makes an awesome looking action figure.

7kILv.jpg

vazel said:
I don't think it's the costume that makes that figure look so good. It's just excellent craftsmanship. The proportions, posing, and sculpting are really good.

eh, I think a lot of the others (that still are closer to the traditional costumes) also have the craftsmanship, but the Supes is one of the better looking ones thanks to the costume imo.

http://aftimes.com/2011/07/sdcc-2011-doc-owen-reports-dc-direct-new-52-reboot-figures/

vazel

Banned
I don't think it's the costume that makes that figure look so good. It's just excellent craftsmanship. The proportions, posing, and sculpting are really good.

TMNT is chill. Need to pickup issue two this week. And I gotta keep giving love to Ghostbusters, so much personality in the dialogue and art.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I may break my "Superman kinda sucks a lot" clause in my figure collection rule book.

krypt0nian said:
Not the ones in that gallery. Wow.

They're fine if all you want is the lame pose they put them in; but that's it. They're about on the same level as crappy McFarlane toys.

If I'm paying $20 for something, I'll take DC Universe Classics. Great sculpts and very posable.

Nesotenso said:

I knew as soon as Marvel did it that they would keep it going way too long because they were intended to be this ideal African couple, and having them split up would be construed as some racist commentary that black marriages couldn't work. (Knowing how super touchy the comics blogosphere is on topics of race or gender, I can 100% guarantee this will be the reaction. Also that editorial will be blamed for not handling it right so that people thought it had to end).

bangai-o said:

WGoddess2gore.jpg

That poor old woman looks like she's having the worst period ever.

bangai-o

Banned
im not touching the Walking Dead thread. I just ordered a season pass on Amazon on Demand. Hoping for each episode to be good and not just the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom