• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncanny X-Men 544 is fantastic despite the Land art; Gillen is probably my second-favorite writer in mainstream comics right now, after Morrison. "Clearly, Logan restarted the school in Westchester, almost certainly with a viciously passive-aggressive name." Love it.

And Wonder Woman continues to be excellent. Chiang's art is as amazing as always. As for the story, I get the distinct sense that Azzarello is distilling the character down to "female warrior who protects humanity from mythological forces." The downplaying, if not outright elimination, of the "ambassador to Man's World" angle will probably outrage many longtime fans of the character, possibly even more so than making her Zeus' daughter. But at least from this creative team, I'm fine with it thus far. How the next writer will handle it remains to be seen.

Satch

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
TedKorddisgunbgud.gif

Azarello is playing mind games yo!
http://prntscr.com/3krdb
http://prntscr.com/3kr0c
http://prntscr.com/3kr0w

*spits water everywhere*

One thing I find stupid on DC's part with the digital initiative is two page spreads. Batwoman, Wonder Woman - it doesn't work well with a new format. KNOCK IT OFF!
If you own one, just rotate your iPad into landscape mode. Two page spread issue solved!

BenjaminBirdie said:
:0

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35017

Venom/Ghost Ridette/Rulkie/X-23 crossover.

Remender and Parker doin' it. Inspired by Simonson and Adams' timeless classic Fantastic Hulk/Ghost Rider/Spidey/Wolverine Four story.

o
m
f
g

i l o v e y o u c o m i c s f o r e v e r a n d e v e r
Oh sh*t! Parker and Remender and Moore and the new "New Fantastic Four" with X-23?!? Sign me up! :O

Satchwar said:
*reads wondy #2*

*spits water everywhere*
I'm giving it another issue. :\

The "startling revelation" coming in #3 could still go either way at this point and, taking the retelling here of Diana's creation by Hermes at face value, then there's a clear opening for
Zeus to have played his part in a way that didn't involve seducing/ravaging Hippolyta. Instead, it's now possible that Zeus simply answered her prayers and gave Hippolyta's clay statue life, in a slight revision of the existing origin -- one god, instead of many.
Of course, the other less savory possibility -- that
Hippolyta created the "legend" to cover up her own dalliance with Zeus to avoid shame
-- wasn't ruled out entirely either, and that's the calculatingly agonizing part for me (the next chapter's title,
"Ancient and Untrue,"
doesn't exactly inspire confidence either). I really wish DC had just kept that revelation under wraps instead of blabbing it two months in advance; but, they've gotta make sales rise somehow and nothing does that like scandal.

Blonde Hippolyta still bothers me, and I dislike the suddenly dark and primitive depiction of Themiscyra, and its stereotypically tribal Amazons; it just seems so lazy and gloomy (I know, I know: "horror story"). But I do like his depiction of Diana herself, and Chiang continues to impress; overall I think this issue may have been better than the first, but both it and Batwoman are still a hair's breadth away from getting culled, and then I'll be down to two DCnU books.

Father_Brain said:
Uncanny X-Men 544 is fantastic despite the Land art; Gillen is probably my second-favorite writer in mainstream comics right now, after Morrison. "Clearly, Logan restarted the school in Westchester, almost certainly with a viciously passive-aggressive name." Love it.

And Wonder Woman continues to be excellent. Chiang's art is as amazing as always. As for the story, I get the distinct sense that Azzarello is distilling the character down to "female warrior who protects humanity from mythological forces." The downplaying, if not outright elimination, of the "ambassador to Man's World" angle will probably outrage many longtime fans of the character, possibly even more so than making her Zeus' daughter. But at least from this creative team, I'm fine with it thus far. How the next writer will handle it remains to be seen.
They've been downplaying it since 2006, when an editorial decision to make Wonder Woman more "Silver Age" came down, that did away with Themiscyra, the Amazons, the embassies and ambassadorship, the Olympians, and saw Rucka walk away rather than implement those changes.

EDIT: It should be noted that Rucka also modernized the Olympians and made them a supporting cast in the book, much like Azzarello is now attempting.

Satchwar said:
See?

Of course, remarks by Hermes that Hippolyta
"was barren, yet she desperately wanted a child" sort of implies that attempts at procreation had been made... and that these Amazons could be sustaining their numbers the old fashioned way. ;p

Spike Spiegel said:
They've been downplaying it since 2006, when an editorial decision to make Wonder Woman more "Silver Age" came down, that did away with Themiscyra, the Amazons, the embassies and ambassadorship, the Olympians, and saw Rucka walk away rather than implement those changes.

True, but those elements were still a major part of Simone's run, which largely felt like an uneasy attempt to balance Perez/Rucka with the editorial edict to make her a female Superman.

Incidentally, the alternate-reality JMS/Hester run also eliminated the ambassador angle, played up the mythological elements, and downplayed the conventionally superheroic ones, albeit in a very different way from what Azzarello has done thus far.

bathala

Banned
Uncanny X-force 16
dialogue was so-so, but story wise it looks like its finally heading to a climax

Opena art.... eye candy

Father_Brain said:
True, but those elements were still a major part of Simone's run, which largely felt like an uneasy attempt to balance Perez/Rucka with the editorial edict to make her a female Superman.

Incidentally, the alternate-reality JMS/Hester run also eliminated the ambassador angle, played up the mythological elements, and downplayed the conventionally superheroic ones, albeit in a very different way from what Azzarello has done thus far.
Simone slowly brought back some of those elements after their "Silver Age" push failed, yes (and how could it not after 'Amazons Attack'?), but the ambassadorship never did come back and the gods under Simone were... weird. Rucka's interpretation had a lot of upheaval and family drama at its core, with the gods' champion Diana becoming a pawn (well, maybe a knight) in their cruel games, and I see a lot of similarities in what Azzarello is attempting to Rucka's work -- and I'm not sure how to feel about that... Am I happy they've seen the light, or angry at the idea that editorial would outright reject Rucka's approach to the character, only to years later call upon a writer who pays no homage to predecessors yet crafts a tale that follows so closely in one's footsteps?

I don't know the answer. :(

Marvel still really, really wants you to buy Point One. And since the initial orders totaled a measly 60,000 copies, they've released some new teasers and the kinda-spoileriffic final cover.

zews4.jpg

Cover - less than shocking SPOILERS

What could possibly have Nova so upset HMM I WONDER.

Father_Brain said:
I really haven't followed Marvel much lately (except for Spider-Island and the new USM) for two reasons

1) $3.99 digital books
2) Few "day & date" releases on Comixology.

With that said, what's this "Point One" business about?

Reluctant-Hero said:
I really haven't followed Marvel much lately (except for Spider-Island and the new USM) for two reasons

1) $3.99 digital books
2) Few "day & date" releases on Comixology.

With that said, what's this "Point One" business about?
It's a one-shot comic due in November introducing the major storylines Marvel is working on for 2012, that will culminate in a major event series presumably centered around the return of
the Phoenix Force.
And apparently it's important enough to what they're planning that they're going to double orders to retailers at no additional charge.

To elaborate on what we know about Point One: it's an anthology of eight eight-page stories (only seven of which have creative teams mentioned in the solicitation, only five of which have had official teasers released, and one of which is a framing story - the eighth was mentioned by Tom Brevoort on his Formspring a few weeks back), by the following creative teams, and teasing these upcoming books:

Jeph Loeb/Ed McGuinness: Nova story, book unknown (New Nova book?/Avengers: X-Sanction, by the same creative team?/Probably the "It's Coming" 2012 Phoenix event)
Chris Yost/Ryan Stegman: Scarlet Spider, ongoing spinning out of Spider-Island and launching in January
Brian Bendis/Bryan Hitch: Age of Ultron, a storyline running in (I think) New Avengers and Avengers in 2012
Matt Fraction/Terry Dodson: Defenders, ongoing spinning out of Fear Itself and launching in December
David Lapham/Roberto de la Torre: Age of Apocalypse, ongoing spinning out of the current Uncanny X-Force arc and launching May 2012
Ed Brubaker/Javier Pulido (?): - Unknown (Hawkeye?)
Fred van Lente/Salvador Larocca (?): - Unknown (Spider-Man?)
Unknown/Unknown: Unknown (possibly the Watcher story?)

Vyer

late, I know, but man Action #2 was sooo good. Not all the books really have the 'spirit' of a reboot, but this one sure does.

Reluctant-Hero said:
If you own one, just rotate your iPad into landscape mode. Two page spread issue solved!

That doesn't mean it's easier to read. :|

The digital media consumption devices cannot do the two page spread justice in a legible format. I'm pretty concerned about the Kindle Fire's exclusive DC books.

the chris said:
Damn it Remender, stop writing so many comics, my wallet can't afford it.

Ugh it's like a leaky trash bag filled with feces (Ghostragger), vomit (Venom), aborted fetus giblets (x23), and someone dropped a tasty cheesecake (Rulk) in the middle of it and asked you to carry it across town on an empty stomach. >:|

Oh well, nice to see the new jack funnybook writers still suffer from the same stupidity the old guard did too, what with their homages to what they read as kids and piss poor remakes.

Father_Brain said:
Chris Yost/Ryan Stegman: Scarlet Spider, ongoing spinning out of Spider-Island and launching in January

Well, add Ryan Stegman to the "DO NOT BELIEVE HIS LIES" list.

I asked him at Fan Expo what he was working on next and he teased this sh*t like it was something big, and not just hoodie spidertard.

So basically new Marvel is just garbage versions of old heroes? Awful.

Ugh it's like a leaky trash bag filled with feces (Ghostragger), vomit (Venom), aborted fetus giblets (x23), and someone dropped a tasty cheesecake (Rulk) in the middle of it and asked you to carry it across town on an empty stomach. >:|

Yo man dude d'you read that new Rulk issue?

DatGuestStar

omg

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yo man dude d'you read that new Rulk issue?

DatGuestStar

omg

I left Rulk when the talent circus left town. You just don't follow up Loeb / McGuiness / Adams / Duk / and even formerly known as crap Ian Churchill with. . . generic storyboard artist from Hollywood. :|

May as well invent a time machine and screw up history by putting Tim Bradstreet to work on Kamandi after Kirby left.

Pending approval on new hacks once my liberry gets the funnybook compilation in.

Unrelated, and kind of not my thing - but I'm a fan of Reilly Brown and he's got a new fangled creator owned book up on Comixology. Yay, more superheros in New York. :|

Screw this noise. Why am I still sober? IT'S
BRAIN
CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Zekes!

I picked up this week:

Batman #2
Birds of Prey #2
Black Panther: Spider-Island
Daredevil #2 (so I can finally read #3 and #4 hell yeah!)

Have they ever mentioned even as a side comment why Red Hulk's mustache disappears then regrows where transforms?

Always make me kinda crazy.

krypt0nian said:
Have they ever mentioned even as a side comment why Red Hulk's mustache disappears then regrows where transforms?

Always make me kinda crazy.

I believe Jeph Loeb addressed this on the last interview he did on Word Balloon; but it's so unimportant that I immediately forgot it.

We're talking about characters whose clothing rip so as to not reveal daddy bits and delicious lady parts; but somehow a mustache is the issue here? :p

Oh and that reminds me of something I dislike about the new Frankenstein book from DC. The Bride's new do sucks. Bring back the classic hairstyle! Now she just looks like four armed She-Rulk. >:|

I believe Jeph Loeb addressed this on the last interview he did on Word Balloon; but it's so unimportant that I immediately forgot it.

We're talking about characters whose clothing rip so as to not reveal daddy bits and delicious lady parts; but somehow a mustache is the issue here? :p

Oh and that reminds me of something I dislike about the new Frankenstein book from DC. The Bride's new do sucks. Bring back the classic hairstyle! Now she just looks like four armed She-Rulk. >:|

I love that Spider-Island made everyone's costumes grow extra arms. At least on the covers. I admit I didn't read most of those.

It's definitely not important. Just always wondered if they mentioned it. EDIT: what ep was that?

I agree about the Bride's hair. Seems off. But monsters, mang! I'm loving it overall.

that Scott Snyder interview just shows why he's the best of the Bat franchise right now and one of the best New 52. His story doesn't feel like a fresh relaunch, it feels like a great story that could fit anywhere.

VGChampion said:
that Scott Snyder interview just shows why he's the best of the Bat franchise right now and one of the best New 52. His story doesn't feel like a fresh relaunch, it feels like a great story that could fit anywhere.

The man has:

Batman
Swamp Thing
Severed
American Vampire
American Vampire mini just wrapped

All running at once!

And all are top notch. He's making a mockery of most other writers. Haha

krypt0nian said:
It's definitely not important. Just always wondered if they mentioned it. EDIT: what ep was that?

I agree about the Bride's hair. Seems off. But monsters, mang! I'm loving it overall.

I believe it was in one of the recent Loeb Report specials on Word Balloon. Thing is I delayed listening to it as I trade wait, so it could well have come out last year. Blech.

Satchwar said:
what's wrong with superheroes in new york

i want to put one in new york

tell me before i do something stupid

tbh should i even be asking you?

1. Does to world really need another super team that is stationed in new york? Think about it.

2. So crime only happens in on city of America?

There's so many other places in the US you could place a superhero and have FUN with it.

Imagine placing a super hero in Detroit.

Who would give a damn about property damage there? It could be a great running joke.

I just don't get the cultural hardon for new york city. I really don't.

Do what you want, but it's redundant.

It's like the local guy who made a comic about a superhero in los angeles. Because there's no crime in cleveland?

Write what you know.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
Peter David had X-Factor in Detroit for a long time. They might still be there actually.

Edit: Forge is in Dallas!

Well yeah, these are the exceptions. Not the rule. :p

There was also Justice League Detroit.

This is why I was looking forward to that post Civil War Avengers book where they were making up teams for each state; but that tanked once Marvel realized they have no ideas. LOLOLOL

Well yeah, these are the exceptions. Not the rule. :p

There was also Justice League Detroit.

This is why I was looking forward to that post Civil War Avengers book where they were making up teams for each state; but that tanked once Marvel realized they have no ideas. LOLOLOL

I always liked the idea of the West Coast Avengers. At least it made it look like they were trying to cover more than New York.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I always liked the idea of the West Coast Avengers. At least it made it look like they were trying to cover more than New York.

COMPOSITE AVENGER!

94949295440.30.GIF

F*CKIN' RECOGNIZE!

I loved this book as a kid. Teen. Whatever.

I had a chance to read Batman, Supergirl, Justice League, and Green Lantern Corps so far this week. Still need to get to Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Nightwing.

Batman was just awesome, these are the kind of Batman stories I want. Synder is just fucking nailing it perfectly. Put this man in charge of all things Batman!

Supergirl was alright. Not sure I'm digging where I think the book is going, or the things they seem to be hinting at, we'll see though. I'm also sick of Super heroes fighting every time they meet each other in the DCnU. It has more story than the first issue at least, we'll see where they go with it. I thought the last version of Supergirl had finally really gotten it right. So for me this has a lot to live up to.

Justice League, again more story than last issue thankfully. I really feel like they're turning Superman into a bit of a prick in DCnU. He just comes off as such an asshole, I don't like it.

GLC, ohh hey look it's a secret hidden group that seems to have blades made of the same Will power force powering the GL's rings. Let me guess the guardians will pretend they don't know anything about them, and then in the last minute admit to them being an early fuck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom