• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that I'm into comic releases is there a calendar I can find that shows DC's release dates on issues, as I've only ever bought a series once it's in a novel form.

Right now I'm just following the New 52: The Flash, Catwoman, Batgirl, Justice League and Nightwing. Any others you guys recommend?

(I'm all up for any recommendations as I'm off work for a month so I have a ton of time on my hands lol)

Satch

Banned
Square Triangle said:
So now that I'm into comic releases is there a calendar I can find that shows DC's release dates on issues, as I've only ever bought a series once it's in a novel form.

Right now I'm just following the New 52: The Flash, Catwoman, Batgirl, Justice League and Nightwing. Any others you guys recommend?

(I'm all up for any recommendations as I'm off work for a month so I have a ton of time on my hands lol)
Batwoman

FoneBone said:
yes... though you may want to read the Rucka run first.

+ Batman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Demon Knights. I also vote for Frankenstein and I, Vampire.

Great list to start. For a bit of superhero fun, Superboy, Teen Titans and OMAC have been aces.

noah111

Still Alive
Read Brilliant first issue.. not bad, the art is great since it's bagley, but perhaps a different style a bit.. the writing is also decent, one typo I found and one out-of-place cussing occurrence.

Other than that, i'm kinda interested to see where it goes. Still, the first issue could have pulled you in more, hope it takes off one way or another.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Such bizarre hamstringing of a gifted artist's style (which LaFuente clearly is) would mean an artist like Bachalo couldn't draw any book ever. Thank goodness you are not a Marvel Editor.

I'm stunned they got someone so high profile to draw the tie in issues of a relatively middling book. It was like Quitely drawing like I don't know Rob Williams' Ghost Rider.

Or like Quitely drawing Offspring back in The Kingdom? Such a nice surprise going through my back issues.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Square Triangle said:

http://dccomics.com/dcu/comics/

I'm sure others will offer better, more reliable (and possibly more thorough) links, but that's what I usually go by.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
bodyboarder said:
Any suggestions on going digital in regards to e-readers? Ipad?

I'm biased since I'm an iWhore but the iPad is the shit,veeally good for digital comics. If you can find a tablet with a bigger screen then maybe go for it, but the iPad is a great all rounder.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Been reading a couple of books from my final stack. Got two weeks worth so these are a little old:

Justice League #2
This was ok but again it's moving way too slowly. I thought the Flash/Green Lantern friendship was really well portrayed but Superman seems really off compared to how he's presented in Action Comics. There is no real story happening yet either, and after two issues that's a bit weird. Apokolips is invading? Ok, but I've read this story a dozen times, and I've read it better. There's no tension, no sense of threat. It would probably be a better story with a much smaller scale villain and with the heroes just having a big punchup.

Batman #2
This was the shit though, this is some of the best Batman I've ever read, which for me is a big deal, I've been reading almost all the batman books for nearly 20 years now. Bruce is just so fucking cool, so collected and confident and badass. It's a fine line that Snyder is running, Batman is dark and brooding but he's a also a cool as hell billionaire and he acts like it. Love the art too, Capullo is bringing it on every level. That opening two pages was brilliant, the shots of Bruce just falling back out of the window were so well done, it was a real "how does he get out of THIS?" moment. So good.

Yeah, I can't really recall anything about the first two issues of justice league.

Batman 2 was good though. I can't help but feeling that Capullo is sacrificing some great detail in his work. I guess he has to in order to hit a monthly dead line, but I prefer his work on Spawn.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bodyboarder said:
Any suggestions on going digital in regards to e-readers? Ipad?
I use my iPad with Comic Book Lover. It's fantastic. Comixology is also a fantastic choice.

RoninChaos said:
Yeah, I can't really recall anything about the first two issues of justice league.

Batman 2 was good though. I can't help but feeling that Capullo is sacrificing some great detail in his work. I guess he has to in order to hit a monthly dead line, but I prefer his work on Spawn.
All the same, Capullo still delivers detail on a level that most artists just can't on a monthly schedule.

thetrin said:
I use my iPad with Comic Book Lover. It's fantastic. Comixology is also a fantastic choice.

All the same, Capullo still delivers detail on a level that most artists just can't on a monthly schedule.
OH, I agree. He's a great artist. I guess I just expected more because of how much I've enjoyed his work in the past.

Webcomic alert!

Rucka and Burchett are doing a gorgeous bi-weekly webcomic and it's worth checking out if you like airships, sword play and bustiers.

Interview - http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wide-world-webcomics-rucka-burchett-lady-sabre-111031.html

Comic chapter archive - http://www.ineffableaether.com/archive/

2011-08-15-ch01s13-405dcc15.jpg

2011-08-11-ch01s11-f5bc3a6d.jpg

ComiXology has the first two issues of Scott Snyder's excellently creepy Severed reduce priced at 1.99 and the third up at cover price of 2.99.

Well worth the read on this unholiest of evenings...

severed1.jpeg
Severed_3.jpg

Jedeye Sniv said:
I'm biased since I'm an iWhore but the iPad is the shit,veeally good for digital comics. If you can find a tablet with a bigger screen then maybe go for it, but the iPad is a great all rounder.

Yeah I was already leaning towards an iPad. The apps give it a clear advantage.

KidDork

BenjaminBirdie said:
Uh. David LaFuente and Robbie Rodriguez drew it. It was non-stop baller.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. And I had to look up 'non-stop baller'. :)

I find many of the panels look rushed, as if he came back to them after spending more time on other pages and the deadline bell was ringing. In one instance, he draws what amounts to stick men. I just found this to knock me out of the story. I can see a similarity between LaFuente and Romita here, and to be fair, I'm not a fan of his recent work, either.

I just want Abnett and Lanning to write a title for years and years. I want that title to be an X-book. I get fussy about it.

Alucard

Banned
Having read the first two issues of Batwoman, I can say that the artwork is superb, but I'm unsure if I like the actual writing or plot. I think I may just be so mesmerized by the pictures, that I am not grading the story on its own merits.

Daredevil #5 was great. I loved Foggy's scenes, and his hinting at the fact that not everything may be okay in the mind of Matt Murdock. He may be setting up a hellish ride for DD in the future. Waid is doing a good job of acknowledging the past, while blazing his own trail into the future. He's shown homages to scenes in the character's past, while straight up aping certain ideas from DD's history. (fighting Cap with his shield, and turning on the lights when guys try to attack him while wearing night vision goggles) I don't mind this one bit, as those moments were almost two decades ago, and they feel fresh and fun today. It also shows that Waid knows DD's background, and what made stuff like Karl Kessel's old "scarlet swashbuckler" run so engaging and enjoyable.

DO you need a comics app to view them on the iPad? Like is it all comicxology, etc? I have some of those old DVDs marvel used to sell with hundreds of comics on them. Old Amazing Spiderman's especially that I'd like to be able to read with my son. I'd like to use those on a tablet but I don't want to waste the money on an iPad if I can't use them.

Any one know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom