• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a bit spoiler-y with some of the Moon Knight discussion there, gang. Be mindful of spoilers.

Mafro and ElNarez have it, and I can't wait to see what the next "aspect" brings with it the next issue.

Im always the quiet one huh? I have it. I didn't spoil it.

Cheska

Okay so here's some thoughts I figured I'd throw around in here instead of the madness that is the Arrow thread.

Recently, I've been re-watching Smallville and am finally nearing the final seasons and what I've noticed is that Justin Hartley is a better Oliver Queen than Stephen Ammell.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the Arrow actor makes a better "Green Arrow" but he falls a little flat on the Ollie side of things. He just doesn't have the charm and playful behavior I've always associated with Oliver.

Yes, the outfits were super cheesy on Smallville, and I know it gets a ton of mixed feelings around these parts, but watching Arrow right after Smallville made me think about the blatant difference between the two Green Arrows.

EDIT: Also, I want to clarify that in no way do I think Arrow is a bad show. In fact, I think it's great stuff, CW has really come a long way.

Owzers

Whoever watches Smallville next needs to keep a tally of how many people get knocked out so they don't see Clark use his powers. Concussions worse than the NFL.

Whatsup ComicGAF long time comic nerd here, thought I'd introduce myself 'round these parts. There's not much to say other than I'm mostly a DC guy, although I occasionally read Marvel stuff. Sadly my non-existent money has been preventing me from keeping up lately. Whats new?

Messi

Okay so here's some thoughts I figured I'd throw around in here instead of the madness that is the Arrow thread.

Recently, I've been re-watching Smallville and am finally nearing the final seasons and what I've noticed is that Justin Hartley is a better Oliver Queen than Stephen Ammell.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the Arrow actor makes a better "Green Arrow" but he falls a little flat on the Ollie side of things. He just doesn't have the charm and playful behavior I've always associated with Oliver.

Yes, the outfits were super cheesy on Smallville, and I know it gets a ton of mixed feelings around these parts, but watching Arrow right after Smallville made me think about the blatant difference between the two Green Arrows.

EDIT: Also, I want to clarify that in no way do I think Arrow is a bad show. In fact, I think it's great stuff, CW has really come a long way.

I find its the opposite, I love his Ollie but find alot of the Arrow stuff to be lacking. I find Ollie to be charming.

Whatsup ComicGAF long time comic nerd here, thought I'd introduce myself 'round these parts. There's not much to say other than I'm mostly a DC guy, although I occasionally read Marvel stuff. Sadly my non-existent money has been preventing me from keeping up lately. Whats new?

Welcome and what are your opinions on Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Ann Nocenti.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Detective Comics 30 is solid.

On the art side, the only qualm I have is that there are a bunch of children in it that are ostensibly meant to be Chinese, or are at least spoken to in Chinese by everybody, and they're 100 percent just white kids. Whatever, not a big deal, Manapul is fucking dope.

Story is a solid start with new characters, connections made directly Damian's death and Zero Year, and a new drug/villain. My problem with Boochbag, however, has never been his technical capacity for writing, because dude understands how to construct sentences just fine, but it's the lack of characterizations that come from him. Everybody comes off as flat for some reason. So, yes, different characters spoke using different dialects, whether that be the more street dialect used by the goons, or the biker bravado cheesy action movie dialect used by the bikers, or Alfred's more proper dialect...the word usage is different and appropriate but fuck, man, these people saying these words just do not feel like they are fully formed characters (totally the first issue in the arc, so there's time to put in work on that end).

I'm being hard on the dude, but that's because his Flash started the exact same way--all the promise in the world with that magnificent Manapul art, but a story that just did not have characters and spiraled into boring bullshit quickly. His Rogues are atrociously written, which is sad because you could have easily adopted the perfect tone that Johns had given them, and run with it in wild directions.

Toa TAK

Banned
You gotta read Superior Spider-Man. It's the best thing to happen to Spider-Man since the last time something interesting happened to the series.

Welcome and what are your opinions on Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Ann Nocenti.

Harley- Pretty great, although slightly overused nowadays

Catwoman- Who can say no?

Ann Nocenti- meh

You gotta read Superior Spider-Man. It's the best thing to happen to Spider-Man since the last time something interesting happened to the series.

Haha I have heard its pretty great, and I do love me some Otto...I just thought it would be...awkward...you know...

Messi

Harley- Pretty great, although slightly overused nowadays

Catwoman- Who can say no?

Ann Nocenti- meh

Haha I have heard its pretty great, and I do love me some Otto...I just thought it would be awkward...you know...

Who can say no? ....

I'm trapped by this witch Nocenti

ChaoticEko

Neo Member

Agreed. Just decided to buy all the issues, just got done reading them yesterday. Holy awesomeness, I love it. Can't wait for the next(final) issue and Amazing Spider-Man.

SoilBreak

Banned

READ DAREDEVIL

Inhumans was bad. He wronged us. This feels like that time bruce Waynes parents died.

It really wasn't. Art was a bit 90's in some parts, and there was kind of a lot of exposition (which can be forgiven since a fuck-ton of people don't even know who the Inhumans are). Overall, it was a decent first issue. Hopefully it'll get better, but it'll probably crash and burn like most Marvel events.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It really wasn't. Art was a bit 90's in some parts, and there was kind of a lot of exposition (which can be forgiven since a fuck-ton of people don't even know who the Inhumans are). Overall, it was a decent first issue. Hopefully it'll get better, but it'll probably crash and burn like most Marvel events.

I flicked through and it looked like an Udon book and at one point I'm pretty sure Akuma was uppercutting somebody. Not sure, just know I left it there, in one of the giant stacks shoved in a corner at my shop.

DarkSloth

Really enjoyed issue 3 of Loki. Each issue has felt pretty unique in tone and seems to be going somewhere. I've never read any old-man Loki stuff, but I really liked his characterization. I want more!

Really enjoyed issue 3 of Loki. Each issue has felt pretty unique in tone and seems to be going somewhere. I've never read any old-man Loki stuff, but I really liked his characterization. I want more!

The part where Old Loki
steps off of the panel on the first page
is such a brilliant way to depict the kind of "time" traveling
really, "story" traveling
that he is capable of in order to seed chaos throughout the universe.

Messi

Now I'm curious: What are two features of Catwoman that you really like which set her apart from other characters?

I like Selina as a character more than I do Catwoman. I like that she straddles the line between personal gain and being a good person, her relationship with Batman fascinates me. Its hard to describe actually, I struggle to connect with characters that are goody too shoes but Selina being conflicted intrigues me. Granted most of this is gone in the current book.

I like the sexual nature of Catwoman. Its hard to avoid it. Also that costume.

I'd write more and explain myself better but I'm on my phone in bed lol

I like Selina as a character more than I do Catwoman. I like that she straddles the line between personal gain and being a good person, her relationship with Batman fascinates me. Its hard to describe actually, I struggle to connect with characters that are goody too shoes but Selina being conflicted intrigues me. Granted most of this is gone in the current book.

I like the sexual nature of Catwoman. Its hard to avoid it.

Sounds like you need a dose of this fella:

250px-Flash182.jpg

Ain't nothing more sexual than Captain Cold.

DarkSloth

The part where Old Loki
steps off of the panel on the first page
is such a brilliant way to depict the kind of "time" traveling
really, "story" traveling
that he is capable of in order to seed chaos throughout the universe.

Yep, at first I thought my issue was printed weird... then I looked with my brain turned on and really liked the effect.

Well said. I think most writers (and artists, mostly) find the second part the easiest to fall back on, but don't treat it intelligently. I think the first reason is the reason why I'm actually starting to like "good guy" Loki so much. I know Batman:TAS series gets pretty much universal acclaim, but it did do a pretty good job of developing Catwoman as an interesting character. I'm actually surprised they didn't throw Catwoman onto Birds of Prey...she would have made more sense than Poison Ivy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's why I'm not really loving the current incarnation of Superman. There's room to tell really personal stories with the character, here is where I point to stuff like Superman: TAS and For All Seasons, but they don't.

Messi

Well said. I think most writers (and artists, mostly) find the second part the easiest to fall back on, but don't treat it intelligently. I think the first reason is the reason why I'm actually starting to like "good guy" Loki so much. I know Batman:TAS series gets pretty much universal acclaim, but it did do a pretty good job of developing Catwoman as an interesting character. I'm actually surprised they didn't throw Catwoman onto Birds of Prey...she would have made more sense than Poison Ivy.

The Brubaker Catwoman is the best Catwoman. Its the most intriguing and doesn't really have to fall back on her using sex so often. It made her come across as a clever criminal but one with a heart of gold. It gave her actual motives and drove towards those more than I can say for Nocenti. Also the art in volume one is awesome.

Also as B-Dubs says the personal stories work best an Bru nailed the feeling of a personal story. What exactly was personal about the most recent Catwoman arc.

ElNarez

Banned
Is it sad that I own every single issue, and haven't read past the third one?

I loved what I read, just got distracted by other comics. Well, I'm off work tomorrow, guess i'll catch up on it.

You have missed SO MUCH, holy shit. Get on that shit STAT.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
You have missed SO MUCH, holy shit. Get on that shit STAT.

Ha, I will. Just checked my collection again, seems i'm missing #10....But its in the mail with a few other random missing comics.....
I'm determined to read it all tomorrow though, ill just
download
the missing issue onto my tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom