• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I post about Inhuman tomorrow. Don't get it until then. But Im surprised there are stragglers to Manapul's Tec. Brah's art is from another dimension.

Tec #30 was a treat. very excited for more.

Black Science is such a freggin beauty.. such great colors and.. textures is guess I would call it?

I was a little confused in Green Arrow
how Robert got shot with an arrow in the back.. had to read a review to realize Robert jumped in front of the arrow Komodo shot at his daughter. Guess I'm just a little slow sometimes,, durhh :-/ ha

GAF help me out please.
My brother's leaving to the US for a few weeks. Where would he able to get 'Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck TPBs and the Companion for cheap?

Fantagraphics is suppose to be putting a bunch of Don Rosa Duck comics out in 2014

monome

Dropping
Batman (Sorry, ComicGAF)

I wish I could do the same, say that American Vampire is Snyder at his best and the series he should focus on 100%, but goddamn Capullo kills the art and the stories so far have been from good to great.

Snyder has slowly clawed his way to curating Batman ala Morrison. there will be good things happening before he leaves. I'm in until his last story drops.

You may not want to pick Eternal, but I don't see how dropping Batman (Snyder) now makes sense when there will be celebrations for the 75th anniversary and probably some legit (and great!?) shaking to status quos this year.

I wish I could do the same, say that American Vampire is Snyder at his best and the series he should focus on 100%, but goddamn Capullo kills the art and the stories so far have been from good to great.

Snyder has slowly clawed his way to curating Batman ala Morrison. there will be good things happening before he leaves. I'm in until his last story drops.

You may not want to pick Eternal, but I don't see how dropping Batman (Snyder) now makes sense when there will be celebrations for the 75th anniversary and probably some legit (and great!?) shaking to status quos this year.

Batman is the only DC comic I read and I've realised that I actually don't enjoy his stories too much.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I can see why people would be bummed about Superior ending, as I've mentioned before, I've never read a Spider-Man title where Peter Parker was Spider-Man. Started with Superior. I started Ultimate with Miles too. I've really enjoyed it. I know how Peter is from cultural osmosis, and I can appreciate the differences with Ock in charge. It's sort of a shame for it to come to an end because I really enjoyed what they were doing with the character, but I'm interested to see what comes next with Pete back at the helm. Plus all the differences in how Otto's acted as Peter wouldn't really pay off as well without Peter having to deal with the fallout.

have you liked any recent Batman stories? I liked Morrison's run because it was batty, but Snyder's just seems very bland, especially Zero Year which just going over Batman/Alfred/Gordon's motivations once again.

Zero Year is where I jumped on and it's the first Batman story I've read in years. Have to check out some older ones before I can completely write off Batman.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Bland writer alert Cullen Bunn, proceed with caution.

hmm. Good to know, thanks. I'm not really into Green Lantern much really, although I've always wanted to be. I bought a few different runs of Green Lantern at a Comic Con a short while back, still haven't read them. Guess I'll start there and avoid Sinestro until I hear how it's doing.

diaspora

Fucking sucks. It got me into comics. ='( Assumed it was going to be the new status quo....

Until PETER PARKER reared his ugly Ramos head.

To be fair, that was Otto's fault. Most of this entire run has been Otto failing then asking what Peter would do.

hmm. Good to know, thanks. I'm not really into Green Lantern much really, although I've always wanted to be. I bought a few different runs of Green Lantern at a Comic Con a short while back, still haven't read them. Guess I'll start there and avoid Sinestro until I hear how it's doing.

When he has dope artists, his stuff is exemplary, though. See:
Magneto
The Sixth Gun

Since it's Eaglesham drawing, I expect it to be similarly exceptional.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
But honestly, who didn't think it was awesome?

I loved it. Even though it's probably the most bittersweet thing I've read since Watchmen.

Who didn't think superior was awesome? Or its ending was awesome? Because to be honest I thought Spock would struggle a bit more in the end.

Toa TAK

Banned
Who didn't think superior was awesome? Or its ending was awesome? Because to be honest I thought Spock would struggle a bit more in the end.

Me, too. I didn't think Peter was going to come back until Otto personally dealt with GG and shut down the mess first.

Then leave all the pieces to Peter. Not that it took away anything from #30's ending, though.

diaspora

But honestly, who didn't think it was awesome?

I loved it. Even though it's probably the most bittersweet thing I've read since Watchmen.

Me. Well, I'm 50/50 on it; while it was an alright love letter to Peter's Spider-Man it felt like it was just spinning its wheels too often. While it's no Sins Past, it's not nearly as good as Gauntlet/ Grim Hunt.

Otto has always been a craven bitch, leaving this early doesn't surprise me.

Orignal sin: Secret Wars 3

3of4-600x946.jpg

The second issue of Starlight felt more than a little decompressed, after the first issue's stellar setup. It's one long, extended scene between two characters; and while the interaction between them is nice and you get a great deal of advancement, it plays out exactly how you'd expect it to. Predictability aside it's still an enjoyable read, and I may give the third issue a look, but this is already moving toward my "wait for trade" column. As an aside, I'd love to see more of Parlov's artwork.

Seems as though Manapul played it too safe with the artwork for Detective Comics; nice but only one or two of the panel layouts really stood out, and the inkwash technique doesn't work as well here as it did in the more vibrant Flash series. The plot and dialogue were even more suspect, rehashing ideas that have seen regular use in Batman tales of late. "Gotham is a new start;" "Gotham can be a city of hope;" "Gotham is a beast that devours;" "Bruce and Alfred miss Damian;" not exactly fresh, unspoiled earth is it?

Captain America has definitely reached a point where it needs to do something truly AMAZING to conclude its current storyline, or risk pull cancellation. There's certainly no shortage of action, and the story and art are well-crafted. This "S.H.I.E.L.D. and the US's dirty secret comes back to bite them on the ass" story has been going on for the better part of a year, however, and while we've gotten some colorful villains along the way, the idea of Marvel's super-spy agency doing shady things is hardly new, is it? Something interesting needs to come of this.

From the other side of the Remender pool, Black Science continues to be an engrossing read. To be honest, at the end of last issue I was actually expecting the
masked hunter to be the children's mother,
so I was pleased to be sort-of right. The artwork continues to be full of movement, energy and emotion that's in keeping with the fast pace of the series, which only serves to reinforce the desperate, high-stakes nature of the book. This series needs to keep moving fast, keep the adrenaline flowing, and it does so with relish.

Seems as though Manapul played it too safe with the artwork for Detective Comics; nice but only one or two of the panel layouts really stood out, and the inkwash technique doesn't work as well here as it did in the more vibrant Flash series. The plot and dialogue were even more suspect, rehashing ideas that have seen regular use in Batman tales of late. "Gotham is a new start;" "Gotham can be a city of hope;" "Gotham is a beast that devours;" Bruce and Alfred miss Damian; not exactly fresh, unspoiled earth is it?

They need to never put out an issue like this the same week as Moon Knight, unless they're planning on breaking the mold again every time, Flash-style. This was just too safe for a Dec Shalv world.

I don't understand why people are expecting more from the team that gave us the gorgeous but terribly mediocre Flash run.

Once the effect of the pretty pictures wear off, you'll see its not worth it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I don't understand why people are expecting more from the team that gave us the gorgeous but terribly mediocre Flash run.

Once the effect of the pretty pictures wear off, you'll see its not worth it.

I agree about the assessment of that truly shite Flash run, but it's not like writers can't get better and learn from their mistakes. People just want a good Detective Comics run, which we can't seem to get since the New52 decided to let Tony Daniel vomit nonsensical words in the guise of a story on 'Tec. Boochbag isn't a bad writer technically speaking, he's just flat and needs to stylize, characterize, and plot better. And Manapul's stuff is gorgeous--I really liked Bats running across the Chinatown lights, and then pulling then turning them into a clothesline. Hopefully he plays around a lot with paneling and figures out how to evolve that gorgeous art to it's maximum potential.

Unai

Last month I started buying comic books from USA. I have a few questions about hardcovers.

I bought Earth 2 and Injustice: Gods Among Us. The cover of Injustice is just one piece, but Earth 2 has a removable paper cover over the black hardcover.

Most books and graphic novels sold in my country are like Injustive. In fact, I didn't even know these removable covers were a thing. So, my question is: Is this normal? Most of this hardcovers that I see on amazon and InStockTrades are like the cover of Earth 2? Is there even a way to know before buy them?

I don't know if I could express myself well. If I didn't, please let me know. I would be really glad if someone is kind enough to answer me.

Last month I started buying comic books from USA. I have a few questions about hardcovers.

I bought Earth 2 and Injustice: Gods Among Us. The cover of Injustice is just one piece, but Earth 2 has a removable paper cover over the black hardcover.

Most books and graphic novels sold in my country are like Injustive. In fact, I didn't even know these removable covers were a thing. So, my question is: Is this normal? Most of this hardcovers that I see on amazon and InStockTrades are like the cover of Earth 2? Is there even a way to know before buy them?

I don't know if I could express myself well. If I didn't, please let me know. I would be really glad if someone is kind enough to answer me.

You did just fine. :)

You're describing "dust jackets", which usually go over hardcovers. In recent years, bigger publishers have stopped using them, likely to cut costs. As far as I know, though, there's no way to know, upon ordering, whether or not a book has one or doesn't.

tim1138

I agree about the assessment of that truly shite Flash run, but it's not like writers can't get better and learn from their mistakes. People just want a good Detective Comics run, which we can't seem to get since the New52 decided to let Tony Daniel vomit nonsensical words in the guise of a story on 'Tec. Boochbag isn't a bad writer technically speaking, he's just flat and needs to stylize, characterize, and plot better. And Manapul's stuff is gorgeous--I really liked Bats running across the Chinatown lights, and then pulling then turning them into a clothesline. Hopefully he plays around a lot with paneling and figures out how to evolve that gorgeous art to it's maximum potential.

The best part of that Flash run was the Grodd story. Booch and Manapul couldn't write the Rogues to save their lives, but I honestly enjoyed what they did with Salavar, Grodd, and Gorilla City. And the less spoken about their Reverse Flash the better...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The best part of that Flash run was the Grodd story. Booch and Manapul couldn't write the Rogues to save their lives, but I honestly enjoyed what they did with Salavar, Grodd, and Gorilla City. And the less spoken about their Reverse Flash the better...

Their entire arc for the Rogues was fucking dumb and their characterizations were even dumber.

Some people were really praising Rogues Rebellion on here and that shit baffled me. I mean, those few sections where Johns wrote Cold or a Rogue in Forever Evil were better than anything Boochbag and Manupul wrote or did with those characters. For fuck's sake, hip, sleeveless metahumans. What the shit was that about.

Unai

You did just fine. :)

You're describing "dust jackets", which usually go over hardcovers. In recent years, bigger publishers have stopped using them, likely to cut costs. As far as I know, though, there's no way to know, upon ordering, whether or not a book has one or doesn't.

All the New 52 hardcovers I've bought have dust jackets. The normal Marvel books don't but the oversized ones like Hawkeye do.

Great, thanks!

tim1138

Their entire arc for the Rogues was fucking dumb and their characterizations were even dumber.

Some people were really praising Rogues Rebellion on here and that shit baffled me. I mean, those few sections where Johns wrote Cold or a Rogue in Forever Evil were better than anything Boochbag and Manupul wrote or did with those characters. For fuck's sake, hip, sleeveless metahumans. What the shit was that about.

Seriously, it was the antithesis of everything the Rogues are about. So freaking stupid.

Wiseblade

Me, too. I didn't think Peter was going to come back until Otto personally dealt with GG and shut down the mess first.

Then leave all the pieces to Peter. Not that it took away anything from #30's ending, though.
Otto "Dealing with GG" qould definitely have led to Anna-Maria's death. That was the whole point of him giving in to Peter.

That's probably irritates me the most about SpOck and his fans: the delusion. Otto was CONVINCED that everything was going his way and just made up excuses when even he couldn't deny the truth in front of him. At this rate I'm actually going to snap and list out everything he did wrong.

Toa TAK

Banned
Otto "Dealing with GG" qould definitely have led to Anna-Maria's death. That was the whole point of him giving in to Peter.

That's probably irritates me the most about SpOck and his fans: the delusion. Otto was CONVINCED that everything was going his way and just made up excuses when even he couldn't deny the truth in front of him. At this rate I'm actually going to snap and list out everything he did wrong.

Definitely, but I still would've loved to have seen it go down, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom