• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

So a follow-up to my post a few pages back about potentially meeting Brian Michael Bendis - I did! After his Q&A session in my college's auditorium, he did a very casual meet and greet in the hallway afterward, signing stuff and the like. Man you guys, I was so damn nervous :lol Bendis' brother Jared - whom I've known for a little while now - had to almost literally push me in front of him to introduce myself and show him my work as well as give him a copy the comic I created for my senior thesis project.

Most if our conversation is a bit of blur since - despite my best attempts not to - I went into complete nerd mode and began to gush about how his run on Ultimate Spider-man is what got me into comics back in 2000 when I was 12. I've never met somebody famous before, much less somebody famous whom I've been an immense fan of since I was a kid.

He was a super cool guy, and he signed my copy of All New Spider-man #1 - which I just happened to find by chance this morning while cleaning out my closet. So overall, it was a great experience.

MartyStu

Otto "Dealing with GG" qould definitely have led to Anna-Maria's death. That was the whole point of him giving in to Peter.

That's probably irritates me the most about SpOck and his fans: the delusion. Otto was CONVINCED that everything was going his way and just made up excuses when even he couldn't deny the truth in front of him. At this rate I'm actually going to snap and list out everything he did wrong.

Let us be clear: while Otto certainly did much wrong, the only reason things are crashing around him in this manner is because we have to return to the status quo.

Showaddy

Knowhere has been the location of the last couple Nova issues. Cosmo appeared and everything. Marvel Cosmic lives on- just a shame the flagship is still piloted by a hack like Bendis.

If Loeb's son running round with Cosmo isn't a sign Marvel Cosmic is dead I don't know what is.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Let us be clear: while Otto certainly did much wrong, the only reason things are crashing around him in this manner is because we have to return to the status quo.

Felt he switched an issue too soon. Wanted to have a proper Spock vs Goblin with Peter assisting and see a switch after that.

Messi

I wish I hadn't seen one of those Superior Spider Man spoilers above. But can't hold it against you guys, I'm way behind.

I just read Ultimate Spidey 200 can someone in spoiler text obviously tell me what the fuck that last panel was implying.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
See more proof Peter is awesome. Someone make a thread about how awesome Peter Parker is as a character just for TT can learn.

it would just end up funny comics thread # 2 with a mix of dont fuck with parker sprinkled in.

Messi

it would just end up funny comics thread # 2 with a mix of dont fuck with parker sprinkled in.

Lots of this too:

spiderman-desk.png

noquarter

So read the new Starlight, and seems to be going like I thought it would. Hope something happens in the next issue or two.

Also picked up both Sandman Overtures. Really enjoyed them, sucks it seems to be a semi-annual comic instead of a monthly.

tm24

I wish I hadn't seen one of those Superior Spider Man spoilers above. But can't hold it against you guys, I'm way behind.

I just read Ultimate Spidey 200 can someone in spoiler text obviously tell me what the fuck that last panel was implying.

Either Peter is alive or one of the two Peter clones has escaped considering Shield has been decommissioned

tm24

Spider Girl is one of the clones? I didn't read most of ultimate Spider-Man yet.

Yes, she's the only one who made it out unscathed. From my vague recollection, there is two clones of Peter that are unaccounted for. The Scorpion version from Ultimate Clone Saga was taken into Shield custody. ANd the Spider from Ultimate Comic Ultimates is missing too.

Owzers

dcbs updated for June books :O A very weak month for me since Batman Unwrapped HC wasn't half-off so i'll wait for IST if i decide to get it, and after that....not much:

50% off:
Outlast #1
Wicked and Divine #1

rest:
Batman combo, Justice League Combo, Superman Johns combo pack, Wonder Woman

East of West, Invincible, Manhattan Bros, Saga, Walking Bread

All New Doop 3 of 5, Amazing Spidey, Avengers, Cap, Daredevil, Hawkguy, Iron Fist, New Avengers, Original Sin 3 and 4 of 8, Secret Avengers, She Hulk, Silver Surfer, Thor, Uncanny Avengers.

Maybes: Avengers World, Inhuman #3, Moon Knight #4, Ms. Marvel, Original Every Other Sin depending on what it actually is, Black Widow TPB vol 1, Trees #2, Justice League United #2, Infinity and the Forever People #1, and the Ring of Nibelung HC from Dark Horse.

Got my dcbs shipment today and some of the issues had corner damage. -_-

Going to send them a email later, watching Captain America tonight.

Black Science #5 was pretty great! My only complaint at the moment is that a couple of the characters look too similar. When the "reveal" happened I wasn't quite sure who it was supposed to be at first.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Sorry about that, figured other people were talking freely meant almost everyone had some notion of what happened.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Moon Knight 2 -- Holy fuckballs. Now this is a god damn comic book. Ellis and Shalvey dominated in this issue.

Messi

Sorry about that, figured other people were talking freely meant almost everyone had some notion of what happened.

Nah its all on me. Just slow in reading stuff sometimes. It just bothered me as they are one of my favorite characters in Superior.

JEKKI

I finished reading the Dark Phoenix Saga yesterday.

a comic arc that in 3 issues can tell more story than all Marvel events do in 10.

as if Battle of the Atom, Infinity, AVX, etc werent crappy enough,

leave it to comics in the 80s to show you how it's done.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
But it had too much white space! /sarcasm

Yeah...about that poster's comments, I hope nobody reads them and takes them to heart when considering this series or reading it.

This was a comic for fucking comic book fans. I loved holding the pages together, kind of fanned out, and reading each of the 8
victims
stories before
they get popped.
It's interesting, methodical, and uses the medium to express something that can't be done coherently otherwise.

Also, the fight is damn cool,
and Moon Knight saying "I'm not real", dressed in ghostly, glowing moonlight white, completely unfazed by anything thrown his way--again proving his dominance in fights and maybe a bit of his madness.

diaspora

Everything is crashing around Otto for IMO pretty good reasons. He's good at thinking methodically when he has the chance but is schizophrenic on his priorities, is indecisive at the worst moments, and has such a crippling delusion of grandeur he let an army amass itself under the city. While I think SSM has it's issues, the fall was set up just fine from issue 1.

tim1138

It took me a couple weeks but I finally finished the Age of Apocalypse omnibus.
Taken for what it was, the story was fairly enjoyable, and I'm always up for a good alternate reality tale. At this point, I honestly don't even remember what prompted me to read but now I have, so bully for me I guess?

It took me a couple weeks but I finally finished the Age of Apocalypse omnibus.
Taken for what it was, the story was fairly enjoyable, and I'm always up for a good alternate reality tale. At this point, I honestly don't even remember what prompted me to read but now I have, so bully for me I guess?

I bought it back when it came out. Story was fun. Art was an eyesore. Man, I forgot about the art of yesterday.

Cameron Stewart posted a bunch of his uncoloured Batman and Robin pages and god this guy can draw.

And he just keeps getting better, his work from Seaguy #1 to #2 is crazy. One of my absolute favorite comic book artists.

What I always loved about that story how you got Batman vs Batman, but with a few subtle things you never get confused with which is Dick and which is Bruce, its all very clear choreography and design.

Anybody else reading All New Invaders? I just read 1-3 tonight and while it started slow, like I would almost think of dropping it slow after 2, but 3 really gelled everything together and made me excited. Obviously, like other Marvel books, I'm kinda blind to who these people are and their histories. The reason I tried it was in the back of F4, Robinson said don't be surprised to see a crossover down the line. I really like Jim, aka Human Torch. I like his quiet side, then his rage. This is the first experience ever reading Captain America. Does Robinson have an accurate voice of the character? He seems cool. I guess I'm kinda confused with Bucky, aka Winter Soilder? Is this the same villain that's going to be in the new Cap movie?

Thanks for any insight.

read the first volume of New 52 Aquaman, and I thought it was mostly bad, save for maybe issue #4. the whole arc is basically Johns trying to convince me that Aquaman is cool and i'm stupid for thinking otherwise, but it's pretty weird that he's thought of as a lame-ass in a world where he actually saves people. I used to think Geoff Johns hated Batman because he has no superpowers, but I'm beginning to think he just hates actual, normal people. There's some Snyder-esque MY FATHER stuff going on too, but without literally saying it in the narration. The first issue is pretty much just him responding to haters. The fourth issue was pretty cool, probably because it was underwater and Ivan Reis absolutely kills it on the double page spreads, but man that first issue is ROUGH. Reis is good throughout the whole thing, but he's not the kind of artist where i'd buy anything/everything he draws. It's also really noticeable, even with the same coloring/inking, when Joe Pardo fills in for him in the 6th issue, because all the people are ugly and inconsistent looking as hell. also, a really terribly written issue!

Legit question: has Aquaman ever had a consistent personality across reboots/universes/whatever? I know he's had a bunch of different origin stories, but could you actually pinpoint specific character traits to him? I mean, i guess he has a trident. that's rad.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
But it had too much white space! /sarcasm

Hah. It really wasn't good. Might as well put one panel in the middle of the first page for issue 3 and leave the rest blank for the comic and I'm sure someone will talk about how cool it is and how it executed its purpose.

Hopefully others don't read too far into the dudes comments about it being for comic book fans or other nonsense.

Caspel

I just read the new moon knight issue and I really like the new moon knight costume

Yup yup!

Also, to the person asking about Invaders, I'm reading and was consider dropping until #3 gave me a reason to stick with it a bit longer.

Caspel

Just read Superman Unchained won't fulfill the last two issues. Bummer :( was considering it but went with Aquaman and The Others instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom