• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WOOOO!
All my books have arrived! (Omnibus haters, avert your eyes.)

P1dntFm.jpg

And it's hard to tell exactly how massive Conan is since all of the books in this stack are Absolute/Library Edition sized, so here's a pic with Batman:DKR for scale (should've done X-Statix for scale, since Conan dwarfs even that):

So happy.

Kipp

That's some terrible writing though, i hope it's not all that bad.

Yeeeah. That preview doesn't bode well... It is Milligan though, so I still feel pretty confident that he'll do a good job.

I will say, the art seems a bit amateur...

WOOOO!
All my books have arrived! (Omnibus haters, avert your eyes.)

And it's hard to tell exactly how massive Conan is since all of the books in this stack are Absolute/Library Edition sized, so here's a pic with Batman:DKR for scale (should've done X-Statix for scale, since Conan dwarfs even that):

So happy.

That is a goddamn Tome with a capital T. That behemoth needs a pedestal in the middle of some secluded temple-like room, with spooky lighting and a feeling that it's been lost to humanity for centuries.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is anyone still reading The Walking Dead? I remember being pretty excited for the start of "All Out War", which was probably because I felt it might renew my waning interest in the series, but so far, it's been one of the least captivating "wars" I've ever encountered in the medium.

Kipp

Sometimes this thread is really weird!!

Between this reac and that Lumberjanes one, I'm considering turning in my badge.

Okay, to be fair, it could very well be the terrible JPG compression that the previews on CBR have. There have been a few times that I've seen art on a preview on CBR and thought it looked bad, then I saw the art in full resolution or in print and I liked it. Since I usually side with you guys on other opinions, I'm gonna assume that the compression is the issue for me here.
Regardless, I'm totally gonna buy the trade of this when it comes out.
Edit: Okay, yeah. Just looked at it again. It's definitely the compression that gave me that impression.

That is a goddamn Tome with a capital T. That behemoth needs a pedestal in the middle of some secluded temple-like room, with spooky lighting and a feeling that it's been lost to humanity for centuries.

:D
I'll get to work on that.
It truly is a thing to behold. I mean, I'd seen the pictures and I knew it was massive, but it's MASSIVE.

Well, I don't know that I'd consider "should not be drawing comics professionally" (which both of those instances were) is really a subjective opinion/analysis.

And two opinions of that nature is all that it takes you for to get discouraged? Art is always going to be subjective. Not everyone is going to like every artists style. And it's not like this thread (or the internet) isn't subject to hyperbole.

More excited for Rafa's reactions than the actual book.
Just like the book you are going to be disappointed. I feel like Matt Fraxtion right now. I had what was surely going to be a big write up planned but all I can make out is a measly paragraph. I guess its obvious when Axel fucking Alonso is not hyping this book up any more in favor of a book about the death of The Watcher. But what can you say about it? It was a Charles Soule corporate book. It hit all the notes his editor wanted him to do. He's not in the Mt. rushmore of blnd writers but in a different tier. Like a USA or TNT show or reruns of Castle. After watching it you are like "man, that was a pretty good story. It passed the time, I smiled a few times. And I forgot about never having felt a woman's touch." It needs more issues before I judge, it really needs to be double shipped though. Inhuman just does not introduce the concepts or tension that it needs to. One of the main interests in the Inhumans was always their society. Lash is no different than a sentinel, the Higher Evolutional or William Striker. I really son't like the complete destruction of Atillan. To me, clinging on to the old ways with the addition of these new Inhumans out is infinitely more compelling than them at rock bottom.

I hope Ultimate Peter Parker comes back and gets a space opera title. It would be a waste to revive him (which you know they will eventually do) and just give him the same status quo.

Cheska

I've been re-reading All Star Superman at work, mainly in the hopes of it piquing some interest to my co-workers, but this also brought on a thought.

What are some of the most memorable and iconic moments in comic books for you?

I feel like the (All Star Superman spoilers)
Superman and Lois scene in space
is something that has always stood out to me. It's definitely heartwarming and just an iconic moment in that heroes history.

Is anyone still reading The Walking Dead? I remember being pretty excited for the start of "All Out War", which was probably because I felt it might renew my waning interest in the series, but so far, it's been one of the least captivating "wars" I've ever encountered in the medium.

Nah, I'm done with TWD. Its really time for Rick to die oe something but its become formulaic. I mean byt now some people should have come together and build a real frontier style community or something. Hell of a lot of things were accomplished without power in a hostile environment.

I've been re-reading All Star Superman at work, mainly in the hopes of it piquing some interest to my co-workers, but this also brought on a thought.

is something that has always stood out to me. It's definitely heartwarming and just an iconic moment in that heroes history.
So awesome.

Nah, I'm done with TWD. Its really time for Rick to die oe something but its become formulaic. I mean byt now some people should have come together and build a real frontier style community or something. Hell of a lot of things were accomplished without power in a hostile environment.

Rick isn't going to die. Ever. It's obvious Kirkman is going to write it in a way that
Dwight shot Rick with an arrow that wasn't dipped in Zombie guts. That way Negan thinks Rick is dead, then Rick can surprise Negan and kill him
. Obvious plot-point is obvious.

Well, Morrison-bats is one of the things most responsible for my comics fandom. From batman rip, 2 things come to mind:
The joker's screw-you speech to the Black Glove. "Every time I try to think outside the box, he builds a new one around me!" and so on.
And the last 3 pages of the book, the Alfred speech.

Watchmen's opening Rorschach speech.

From the very end of a volume of unwritten (5 I think) :
the cabal racks up a ridiculous bodycount trying to hurt tommy. He learns of it, spends a few moments pausing with distress, pulls out his wand, and inscribes "I'm coming for you, you bastards" in the sky above times square. It made for a badass final page, and marks the protagonists' transition from reactive to proactive in a really satifsying way.
it was the point at which I realized unwritten had become one of my favorite comics.

And last, but not least, two in particular from Sandman:
Morpheus to the assembly in Hell:
"But to say that dreams have no power in hell? What power would hell have if those here imprisoned could not dream of heaven?" Followed by silence from the lords as the crowd slowly parts to let him walk.

And at the end.
"Take my hand, dream."

EDIT: OH MY GOD HOW'D I FORGET THE IMAGE OF NOVA KILLING ANNIHILUS. SCREW EMOTIONS AND THOUGHT, THAT WAS PURE GLORY.

Owzers

(silly pic)

I was overhyped for Lemire's Green Arrow trade by comics-gaf talk and review scores, three issues in it's a solid, enjoyable book, but i didn't find it to be top tier like others did. I'm now adjusting my expectations for Red Lanterns and Harley Quinn accordingly. I don't regret buying it so far though.

This makes me wish I was from 'Murica:

Love this page from Siege. Seeing Cap come back and all the heroes on the same page for the first time since Civil War to take down Osborn and HAMMER was really something. It also came at a time in my life when I wasn't doing too well. It made me want to punch the air in celebration.

This classic from the Perez/Busiek era aka the best Avengers era:

ultron.jpg

Couple of classic Superman moments, first from Infinite Crisis:

And of course (can't find the panel), but from Action Comics #775:

"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting." - Superman

ReiGun

A couple from three of my favorite characters.

Wonder Woman (from "A League of One")

leaguefinale.jpg

Black Panther (from the issue of "Panther's Rage" called "The God Killer")

6a00d83455e40a69e20133f31795bf970b-pi

And of course, I'll take any excuse to post this Superman moment from All-Star

fauxtrot

Banned
Rick isn't going to die. Ever. It's obvious Kirkman is going to write it in a way that
Dwight shot Rick with an arrow that wasn't dipped in Zombie guts. That way Negan thinks Rick is dead, then Rick can surprise Negan and kill him
. Obvious plot-point is obvious.

The only thing holding my interest at the moment are the (leaked?) covers for issues 127 and 128, which are after the current arc, that show
new characters we haven't met and the taglines imply it's about a completely new group of survivors. Do most of the main characters die? Is there a leap forward in time and the woman shown on both covers is Maggie's kid, now an adult?
I don't think Kirkman has the balls to try this, but it'd definitely be interesting if he did... I guess only time will tell.

frye

"You're good, but me? I'm magic"

"You don't get it, boy. This isn't a mud hole. It's an operating table... and I'm the surgeon"

"There is no corpse. There is no corpse. There is no corpse."

"Yes father. I shall become a bat."

Just inject Frank Miller comics into my veins until I die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom