• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup yup!

Also, to the person asking about Invaders, I'm reading and was consider dropping until #3 gave me a reason to stick with it a bit longer.

I hate when the third issue of something is way better...it would be so much easier if it was crappy so you could just drop it, but it's still so early in the run that it might not be indicative of the continuing quality of the series.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I hate when the third issue of something is way better...it would be so much easier if it was crappy so you could just drop it, but it's still so early in the run that it might not be indicative of the continuing quality of the series.

I'm a fan of namor so I'll give it a few more issues now they have traction with the latest reveal.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Inhuman 1 wasnt too bad. If marvel is banking their next big thing on Joe's ability to keep to a schedule they're pretty brave.

Wiseblade

Let us be clear: while Otto certainly did much wrong, the only reason things are crashing around him in this manner is because we have to return to the status quo.
Dont act like SpOck was on top of everything until management decided he needed to go. He's been dropping balls pretty much from day 1.

God dammit, Marvel. You're going to psyche me up for this, then I'm going to buy it. Then it's going to shit the bed quicker than Fear Itself.
It has the potential to be good if Jason Aaron doesn't get a huge hard-on for wolverine and decides to let him do everything again.

but did he lie? fuck superman.
Yeah, he lies. Greg Pak Action Comics run and Superman/Batman run are the reason why.

i guess it's been a while since i've bought a DC comic, because i had to hold Detective Comics #30 in my hands for a little bit just to feel it. that's quality cover/paper stock. it even had a nice new scent.

The art in the book itself looked fucking gorgeous, too. i didn't read the Manapul/Booch Flash run but god DAMN they killed it. the story was eh but whatever it was pretty

Allllright,,, finally Ordered Fear Agent Vol. 1 Library Edition from IST.
Excited to see this Library Edition,, got my first one a few weeks ago (Hellboy) ..Soo nice.

Also ordered Batman: The Killing Joke.. need my Batman fix,, Don't know much about this TPB but with Alan Moore writing it I'm confident.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
i guess it's been a while since i've bought a DC comic, because i had to hold Detective Comics #30 in my hands for a little bit just to feel it. that's quality cover/paper stock. it even had a nice new scent.

The art in the book itself looked fucking gorgeous, too. i didn't read the Manapul/Booch Flash run but god DAMN they killed it. the story was eh but whatever it was pretty
You missed absolutely nothing by ignoring that Flash run aside from an impressively awful mishandling of the Rouges.

You missed absolutely nothing by ignoring that Flash run aside from an impressively awful mishandling of the Rouges.

Completely disagree. The art in Flash was consistently mind blowingly gorgeous. Also, as someone who wasn't a Rogues superfan I didn't have any problems with how they were handled.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Completely disagree. The art in Flash was consistently mind blowingly gorgeous. Also, as someone who wasn't a Rogues superfan I didn't have any problems with how they were handled.

Manapul's art is always dope, and those title pages were cool as fuck, but Boochbag is a fucking flat, boring, mischaracterizing writer. And for a run as long as theirs, to recommend it by saying the art kept you there for, what, 29 issues while the story was entirely mediocre and the writing just passable as English sentences strung together?

Check out Johns' Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge. It's three issues long and you'll get to the heart of the Rogues--what makes 'em tick and what makes 'em great. I'm not saying there's only one way to write characters, but I am saying there's a right way to approach them and a wrong way. And that Flash run took a swan dive into the wrong way right-quick. I didn't even stick around for the Reverse-Flash stuff--but I've heard it was atrocious.

Working my way way through years of old Marvel and I have a quick question. I'm now in early 2006 right before Civil War. Should I skip the Winter Soldier storyline I until I see the movie? Or is the comic better anyway? I already know that [movie spoiler]
it's Bucky
, but that's the only spoiler I know.

Working my way way through years of old Marvel and I have a quick question. I'm now in early 2006 right before Civil War. Should I skip the Winter Soldier storyline I until I see the movie? Or is the comic better anyway? I already know that [movie spoiler]
it's Bucky
, but that's the only spoiler I know.

I'm sure the comic is better.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Speaking of the Flash, as someone who's never read any of the comics can I ask - is there really a villain in the Flash comics called Reverse-Flash? Because that seems like the most ridiculous name ever. At least Bizarro isn't called "Opposite-Superman". Is it just a generic name for fast bad guys? Why does that term exist?

Speaking of the Flash, as someone who's never read any of the comics can I ask - is there really a villain in the Flash comics called Reverse-Flash? Because that seems like the most ridiculous name ever. At least Bizarro isn't called "Opposite-Superman". Is it just a generic name for fast bad guys? Why does that term exist?

It's also stood for the fact that Flash is Red and Yellow in coloration while Reverse Flash is Yellow and Red.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished 1,000,000. DOPE AS FUCK.

Finally finished 1,000,000. DOPE AS FUCK.

dat ending
twitchtv_emote_faces77.png

Oh man Parker Thunderbolts

It was all good until
the time travel nonsense

Tends to be a thing with Parker, really. Runs will start out decent to great and then sometime before he's done, he'll run out of steam and just write some bland scenarios for the sake of it.

Boogiepop

Well, I just finished reading my second Invincible Compendium. And thus begins the long wait for the third one.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my time with the series. It's interesting because it has a lot of the feel of a big superhero comic, but it's crazy to note just how much the characters have changed and grown over the course of the run. Pretty much the only thing I'm kind of grumpy about is that it's kind of getting more and more "combined continuity" stuff mucking it up, especially by the end there with there apparently being a Guardians of the Globe book. It's not like the shared universe thing is inherently bad (I think even though it can muck things up there too, it works well in a lot of ways as well for Marvel and DC), but here it just feels like it's screwing up the consistency of the run just for a "hey look, it's those characters you read about elsewhere and now they're here!" Bleh. Just out of curiosity, are any of the spin-off/connected books actually worth reading?

But yeah, definitely enjoyed the Compendiums, and plan to pick up the third when it's out in like 2017 or whatever.

New Marvel pull is growing. My wife even said Marvel seems more female friendly. Uh oh. These are all added at the LCS.

Amazing Spiderman
Captain Marvel
Ms. Marvel
Inhumans
Secret Avengers
All New Invaders
Fantastic 4
Daredevil
Moon Knight
All New Ultimates
Elektra
Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman.

My wife wants to read 6 of those.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Yeah and so is Magneto. Marvel are killing it with most of the new books.

Loki is among my favorite of the new books. Magneto #2 was much better than Magneto #1, so I look forward to seeing if it can keep up the trend.

Of the new books, my top 5 (in no order) would be

1) Loki
2) Black Widow
3) She-Hulk
4) Silver Surfer
5) Avengers Undercover

Least favorites (which I have dropped)

1) Iron Patriot
2) X-Force
3) All-New X-Factor

I'm excited to read Iron Fist, All-New Doop, Elektra, All-New Ultimates, and Nightcrawler.

I haven't really heard any talk about Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #1 at all. I don't know much about this character or anything but the art looks pretty cool.

Anyone checking this book out next week? http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=21032&pg=1

People were going apeshit when the preview art released last month, book looks great

You should check out the Fraction/Brubaker Immortal Iron Fist if you're interested in the character, that was a great run.

Well, I just finished reading my second Invincible Compendium. And thus begins the long wait for the third one.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my time with the series. It's interesting because it has a lot of the feel of a big superhero comic, but it's crazy to note just how much the characters have changed and grown over the course of the run. Pretty much the only thing I'm kind of grumpy about is that it's kind of getting more and more "combined continuity" stuff mucking it up, especially by the end there with there apparently being a Guardians of the Globe book. It's not like the shared universe thing is inherently bad (I think even though it can muck things up there too, it works well in a lot of ways as well for Marvel and DC), but here it just feels like it's screwing up the consistency of the run just for a "hey look, it's those characters you read about elsewhere and now they're here!" Bleh. Just out of curiosity, are any of the spin-off/connected books actually worth reading?

But yeah, definitely enjoyed the Compendiums, and plan to pick up the third when it's out in like 2017 or whatever.

I can't pull myself away from Kirkman's stuff. It's some of the worst written stuff in the world but, conversely, it is some of the best art in comics. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom