• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I'll take any excuse to post this Superman moment from All-Star

Oh man, that reminds me of the last few pages of I Kill Giants.

Those feels.

The only thing holding my interest at the moment are the (leaked?) covers for issues 127 and 128, which are after the current arc, that show
new characters we haven't met and the taglines imply it's about a completely new group of survivors. Do most of the main characters die? Is there a leap forward in time and the woman shown on both covers is Maggie's kid, now an adult?
I don't think Kirkman has the balls to try this, but it'd definitely be interesting if he did... I guess only time will tell.

We don't know yet. Last issue, Rick just
took the arrow
. I'll laugh so hard if they leave it at a cliffhanger and switch to
another group of survivors on like, the West coast or something. XD

lRE3hjF.jpg

I'm not even about old DC stuff but this was pretty much the best moment ever.

What are some of the most memorable and iconic moments in comic books for you?

There are two big ones that stand out for me.

The whole death of Superman story line, but specially this panel.

death_of_superman_tpb-167-168-169.jpg

Days of Future Past when Wolverine is killed by the Sentinel and the line of graves.

daysoffuturepastpanel.jpg

days-of-future-past-tombstones.jpg

SoilBreak

Banned
http://www.newsarama.com/20772-axel-alonso-tries-to-keep-original-sins-secrets.html
GOne9ph.jpg

Like I said, this event is huge. Just like Avengers vs. X-Men gave birth to Uncanny Avengers and numerous “Marvel NOW!” launches, Original Sin gives birth to at least five new ongoing series, all featuring solo characters, including at least one female one, and completely transforms three of our core ongoing series, with either a totally new – or significantly altered character – in the title role. Remember the first time you saw the solicitation for The Superior Spider-Man? Yeah, like that.

SoilBreak

Banned
What was the Solicit for Superior Spidey like?

Also

Something like this:

THEN!...Peter Parker spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ended dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700. NOW!...The new Amazing Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger...Superior.

Really hope one of the new ongoings is Doctor Strange.

Cheska said:
What are some of the most memorable and iconic moments in comic books for you?
So many potential moments to post. If I may, however, I'm going to diverge from the usual suspects and post two moments that continue to push to the front of my conscious memory no matter how many comics I read. And they both come to you courtesy of the same writer: the legendary Larry Hama.

The first, without question, is the time Baroness shot Scarlett in the head. :O

Snake Eyes and Scarlett visit a doctor in Switzerland who specializes in radical reconstructive surgeries, because recent medical breakthroughs mean there's finally a chance that Snake could walk down the street holding Scarlett's hand without wearing a rubber mask to hide his deformity. At the clinic we get to see, for the first time, what Snake Eyes looks like under the mask (see my avatar), and after consulting with Scarlett they decide to go for it. Snake Eyes goes under the knife and the operation is a success, but it turns out that the surgeon once did some work on Cobra's Baroness and he tells her about his latest client. When Baroness gets a look at the patient's reconstructed face -- and here's where it gets even more insanely coincidental -- she realizes that Snake is the man who killed her brother years ago in Vietnam, leading her to adopt a life of villainy in revenge. Baroness sends a Cobra hit squad to capture Snake Eyes while he's in recovery, and there's a gun battle between a team of Vipers and Scarlett, trying to protect the man she loves. In the end, though, she's overwhelmed by their numbers and the Cobra goons surround her.

And then, this happens.

This touched off a series of events that epitomizes just how BALLS-ROCKING AMAZING INSANITY the G.I.Joe series could be under Larry Hama. Baroness has the unconscious Snake Eyes transported to the Cobra Consulate building in downtown New York City, where he's tossed into a dungeon to be tortured by some Cobra S&M squad. Before they can do anything to him though, Snake Eyes wakes up and, although groggy from the surgery and the drugs, proceeds to kill all of them while still chained up -- but not before one of them throws a brazier of hot coals into his face.

That's right; Snake Eyes is now horribly scarred AGAIN. :mad:

Fully alert now, Snake Eyes cobbles together a badass new uniform from the dead S&M guys, and proceeds to murder practically every Cobra agent in the building on his way to the top. Think 'The Raid', but with just one guy, and you'd be about halfway to how awesome this was. And Snake Eyes doesn't just stop with the Cobra goons, though, oh no; by the end of the story he causes the entire building to collapse. It's INSANE.

The really crazy thing? That's only like the first three or four issues of this story. :O

There's more too, like Destro revealing that he knew what really went down in Vietnam between Snake Eyes and Baroness's brother, Scarlett being alive but in a coma and her sister trying to pull the plug to get her inheritance, Snake Eyes being so emotionally distraught that Storm Shadow puts him into an Arashikage battle-trance and sends him on a mission in some Eastern Bloc country where he kills and kills and KILLS, Scarlett coming out of her coma and deciding to kill Storm Shadow for sending Snake Eyes on what essential amounts to a suicide mission, etc. etc.

IN. SANE. o_O

The other moment is one you're all probably more familiar with: it's the violent removal of Wolverine's adamantium, and the subsequent revelation of the bone claws.

Now, X-Men #25 by Fabian Nicieza featured the actual adamantium-ripping sequence and thus is probably what most people remember about the "Fatal Attractions" story. But it's the follow-up in Wolverine #75 by Hama that stuck with me and continues to do so.

The squad of X-Men sent to Asteroid M to deal with Magneto are returning to Earth in a Blackbird, but the stresses of violent atmospheric reentry threaten to rip the plane apart. On top of this, Logan is dying in the back of the plane while Jean and Xavier desperately attempt to keep his mind and body from falling apart. They enter Logan's mind to try and keep his psyche alive, and we see the jumble of Logan's fevered brain as he moves from one memory to the next, and further and further away from the land of the living. The X-Men at the mansion are trying to talk the plane down, and Jubilee is freaking out and asking what's happened to "Wolvie."

Everyone is anxious and panicking, and that level of anxiety was infectious to me as a young reader; nothing like this had ever happened to Wolverine before, and I was riveted and actually worried as I read it.

Ultimately the plane starts to break apart, and Jean has to leave Logan's mind to focus on keeping the wings from falling off; back in Logan's head, there's this touching scene where Logan "goes towards the light" and Xavier can't stop him and has to leave or risk following him. Jean's efforts have finally payed off and the plane successfully reenters the atmosphere, but suddenly a section of the cabin blows out and the unseated Jean is sucked halfway out. Meanwhile Logan has finally reached the light, but the angelic figure waiting for him there pushes him away, back to the land of the living. Hearing someone calling to him, Logan sees an outstretched hand and reaches for it... and in the real world, grasps Jean's hand just as she lets go of the plane and pulls her back inside.

He came back from the dead, for her. For Jean. ;_;

And what happens after the emotional roller coaster of these events? Well, weeks later, a "healed" Wolverine ventures into the Danger Room to test the limits of his recovering body, and in front of everyone promptly gets his ass kicked. Everyone's yelling at Xavier to shut the robot combatants off, but Wolverine just spits out a gob of blood and grits his teeth and then...

BONE. CLAWS. :O

So many unanswered questions. So many new mysteries. And it was all coming at a point in in the life of the character of Logan when he was ill-prepared for it, reduced to a state of near-powerlessness by the ordeals he just underwent. By the end of the issue, when he's on his bike and Jubilee's reading the letter he wrote her and waving goodbye from the window, you don't know what's going to happen. Anything could happen at that point. I kept going back to this comic over and over and over and over again as a teen. I loved it from cover to cover, and still do. "Fatal Attractions" was a largely forgettable story to me, but Wolverine #75 certainly made its mark.

The week's Project Runway: Under the Gunn episode was a Marvel comics challenge where the designers had to choose heroes to inspire a high fashion look. It was so shit. One of the girls picked Ultimate Falcon and kept going on about how he was the first black superhero and he was such a pioneer. #poortchalla

And the guy who picked Hawkeye spent the entire challenge reading Fraction's Hawkeye collections that his look was messy and unfinished, lol. He kept saying "Hawkeye is just so dark and rebellious. He's so hurt and he goes through so much. He is a pained soul, etc. etc." I was done.

LTTP: Harbinger, this is some quality comics.

I didn't know what to expect from this series before I read it, I thought it would be close to The Tomorrow People where everyone had the same brand of psychic powers, I'm so glad it's not. I really enjoy the cast they set up, they're all likable in their own way (Faith is the best). The pacing is real impressive, there is hardly any decompression and the story moves fast. The art was fine, Khari Evans did the first arc and then a couple of artist come in for the second, but it doesn't mess up the story flow. The Deluxe HC is also packed with a lot of extras. :D

This intro to Valiant got me excited to try out the rest of the line.

Eldren

Something like this:

Really hope one of the new ongoings is Doctor Strange.

Me too, I'm hoping we get one for him and one for Ant-Man. Plenty of time to start working in some movie promo!

-----

I love the idea of favourite iconic and memorable moments. There's a lot of great moments in the Abnett & Lanning's cosmic stories, but I'll just post two that have always stuck with me.

A nice introduction to Rocket Raccoon:

Spoilers for Annihilation I guess but seeing as the climactic moment has already been spoiled, here's Nova metaphorically putting his foot up Tony Stark's arse:

I'm pretty sure basically every page of Nextwave could be considered memorable but, short of posting all 6 consecutive double splash pages from issue 11, I'll stick with one of my early favourites:

And one of my favourites moments from The Black Mirror, this gorgeous double splash page by Francesco Francavilla:

Sadist

Some Astonishing X-Men mentions, I like that one page where Wolverine, Frost and Beast all look so surprised when facing Ord.

I hate to admit it but I'm about to drop it soon myself. The magic is gone....truthfully, it's been gone since the last few arcs of the previous volume

Least favorites (which I have dropped)
1) Iron Patriot
2) X-Force
3) All-New X-Factor

Sucks that you two aren't enjoying All-New X-Factor. It's my favourite book from Marvel right now. I've always found PAD to be great with writing any character.

My powerful moments.

Mon El: Man of Valor was something real special to me. Striken with an incurable poisoning, Mon El had been banished to the Phantom Zone in the hopes of on day being cured. He is given a short reprieve during New Krypton, with a mysterious serum that temporarily arrests the poison. You watch as he enjoys life again, all the simple pleasures denied him, in the Phantom Zone, but always with the knowledge that it's on a counter. Eventually he almost decides he'd rather die than go back, but finds the strength of will to do so and spends the next thousand years, almost to the point of losing himself in the endless void. Just when all hope seems lost, he emerges, into the future he was meant for, to become the hero he was destined to be.

Here, during 5 years later, Mon El realizes that everything The Legion stood for has been corrupted by Time Trapper, even Superboy was a lie, a construct in his machinations. Rather than let Time Trapper win, take over his body, and let the universe fall under his sway, he beats him to death, causing a Paradox that unravels the future and sets a new course of events into motion. So powerful seeing everything go white turning to the last page, and seeing just a blank white page.

I heard they including Inhuman #1 in ASM #1

This is a very important book, rafa

It's such a bummer seeing Axel tout it so much. It really does remind me of the moment in LOST where Sayid sees the four toed statue and I knew that this rad show with all this weird well developed mythology of hatches and programming and electromagnetism was going to horribly jump the tracks into a truly dumb branch of new mythology. And that's exactly what happened.

Sure, there were still great stories to come out of that thread of the overall storyline, just like this Terrigen nonsense has given us Ms. Marvel. But at its core, it's a calamitously silly idea, bald faced in its motives to give the MCU its own mutant race. It's also, at least at this point, drifting away from the actual Inhumans, who are totally rad. If at the end of all this, they become as big a presence as the Asgardians, with like lockjaw running around like Volstagg, I'll happily stand corrected. But with that ridiculous Akuma dude at the forefront right now, I have very little hope, much less any compulsion to read a single issue further.

I trust them to take the property to interesting places as far as the films go. While the source material generally does nothing for me, Marvel movies have been consistently good to great. If it turns out poorly in the comics, I am sure you can just ignore them and enjoy the film adaptations.

dan2026

Is there any word on when a new writer is taking over Spider-man?

I am so tired of Slott's writing like you wouldn't believe.

Splatt

Best Inhuman stuff was that Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee mini way back when.

Inhumans.jpg

Don't know why they've never followed up on it

Hagi

In the interest of not letting my money go to waste I decided to delve into my Marvel Unlimited account and read some Spidey stories from way back when. Happened upon a weird Ellis story about some bully from peters school life who in a fit of jealously tried to replicate peters accident instead transforming him into a thousand spiders who after eating your innards, wore your skin... This is why I read comics lol

Also read Back in Black which was pretty cool until the "I'd sell my soul" and I realised this was leading into the dreaded one more day which I had never read, instead jumping into Spidey comics during brand new day story line. Thought I'd see what it was like and wish I didn't.
The way they executed this was absolutely terrible which isn't surprising as it was a dumb idea to begin but still you'd think for such a huge change to the status quo of Peters life they would handle it with a bit more care. I'm sorry for those if you who read this at the time of release.

Man, the latest Spider Man books are fantastic. Superior #30, Ultimate Spider Man #200 and Family Business have all been worth the cash~

Also, the Adventure Time comics have some really fantastic art!

"I forgot about never having felt a woman's touch." - Rafa, NeoGAF

I find myself saying this all the time for all kinds of comic books...
Nah brah. They should've used my prerelease quote. "The most important book to Disney since Hans Christian Andersen's collection of fairy tales"

Owzers

Superior Spidey #28 and 29 were alright, i don't like Slott's writing either on the book but i can't drop it because i like seeing what Slott has planned for the book.

Godzilla: Half Century War - started the digital trade by Stokoe yesterday, the art is great like i knew going in but the writing and story aren't that interesting so far.

Iron Patriot was a pretty solid book. Having Charles Soule ghost write your company books is a good career move for Ales Kot. Ghost Rider was pretty good. Tradd Moore is great at drawing expressions, lean people, action and Mexicans. Wish his brother Tony would start working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom