• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many unanswered questions. So many new mysteries. And it was all coming at a point in in the life of the character of Logan when he was ill-prepared for it, reduced to a state of near-powerlessness by the ordeals he just underwent. By the end of the issue, when he's on his bike and Jubilee's reading the letter he wrote her and waving goodbye from the window, you don't know what's going to happen. Anything could happen at that point. I kept going back to this comic over and over and over and over again as a teen. I loved it from cover to cover, and still do. "Fatal Attractions" was a largely forgettable story to me, but Wolverine #75 certainly made its mark.

Wolverine #75 was amazing and that letter tugged at my teenage heartstrings. Really good stuff.

tim1138

Finally got my Fear Agent volume 1 today. Comparison pictures time (because that's apparently what you do)!

IMG_20140405_134118_920.jpg

IMG_20140405_134047_407.jpg

It's taller than other hardcovers I have but looks to be about as thick as the Animal Man omnibus and a little thicker than the Green Lantern omnibus.

Finally got my Fear Agent volume 1 today. Comparison pictures time (because that's apparently what you do)!

It's taller than other hardcovers I have but looks to be about as thick as the Animal Man omnibus and a little thicker than the Green Lantern omnibus.

It has double the paper thickness also, it's only 500 pages.

Hagi

Is there any word on when a new writer is taking over Spider-man?

I am so tired of Slott's writing like you wouldn't believe.

I liked it when they were alternating writers every few issues before he got main control of the book. I'd sell my soul to get Waid in the driving seat.

Picked up some random shiiet from my LCS.

I got "Must Read Valiant Greatest Hits". $6 for 5 issues.
-X-O Manowar #5
-Quantum & Woody #1
-Harbinger #1
-Harbinger Wars #2
-Shadow Man #1

I've read the first three issues so far. I really like Quantum & Woody. Decent story and art, i'll definitely check out the TPB. Its was pretty funny at times too.
Harbinger was pretty cool too.. I like the concept of it, a good #1 issue.
This was a good buy for $6.

And I picked up Caliban #1,, a Sci-Fi/Space/Horror type story. I am curious for issue #2 to see where they go with the story.

You giving me the Omnibus tingle brah.

Boogiepop

Man, when I was waiting for Captain America to start up in theaters the other day I super depressed myself. Some trailer for some Michael Bay zombie thing or whatever came on and it was saying something about a virus and showed what seemed to be a woman politician or whatever, and I had a thought: Imagine if somebody was making a Y: The Last Man TV series! It just makes so much sense to me, but it will never, ever happen. :(

Also, I finished picking up the last of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimate Collection books recently. I actually still need to read a lot of what I own (I've only read the first two), but I really enjoyed what I've read. Any other TMNT collections/comics/runs that are worthwhile?

Messi

I've fallen down the original comic art hole and I can't get out. I'm considering ridiculous amounts of money for page's. Help :(

Messi

What are you looking at?

Cookes Catwoman from the Bru run some Amanda Conner stuff, Chew, Y the last man and Rat Queens.

I'll probably end up with Rat Queens to start with. Picked out a nice page I like. Oh and can anyone guess what the first page of Rat Queens that sold was?

It was Betty kissing her ex :(

NEO0MJ

What are some of the most memorable and iconic moments in comic books for you?

For me, one of my favorite comic moments were in Kingdom Come. Near the end of the story, when Superman, thinking all the other heroes were dead, almost killed the entire New United Nations, blaming himself for what happened. What followed was one one of the most memorable pages in any comic I read.

Though really, it was overall a great story. Can someone remind me of what happened that made Mark Waid swear off ever writing for DC again? His stories were some of my favorite.

For me, one of my favorite comic moments were in Kingdom Come. Near the end of the story, when Superman, thinking all the other heroes were dead, almost killed the entire New United Nations, blaming himself for what happened. What followed was one one of the most memorable pages in any comic I read.

Though really, it was overall a great story. Can someone remind me of what happened that made Mark Waid swear off ever writing for DC again? His stories were some of my favorite.

Falling-out with the editorial/management staff, I believe. If the right people were fired and replaced he might consider working on some books again.

Cheska

Cookes Catwoman from the Bru run some Amanda Conner stuff, Chew, Y the last man and Rat Queens.

I'll probably end up with Rat Queens to start with. Picked out a nice page I like. Oh and can anyone guess what the first page of Rat Queens that sold was?

It was Betty kissing her ex :(

I hate you for bringing this up. Now I had to look into it as well lol

Alot of Kingdom Come is memorable. Old Man Clark watching the Flight of the Legion is one of my favorites from it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Thanos' chin is somewhat similar to a Skrull?

In regular continuity, no reason. He's a mutant to his race though and looks different than the rest because of it. In the Earth X universe however, his mother is secretly a Skrull.

Messi

The price for his stuff is insane!

Btw y'all look at this pretty avatar courtesy of my fellow siren.

Look Cheska....do I need to bring up the post where you bought that Catwoman statue? :D But yes if you want something nice it is pricey.

OMG I just found the place that sells Rafael Albuquerque's Amercian Vampire stuff. I might just have to buy one of those Pearl pages.

I need to find a way to convince Chad Hardin to sell me a page from Harley Quinn #2. Though I am fairly certain it takes years for current DC/Marvel stuff to show up. The ease at which ive found stuff from Image is awesome.

Cheska

Look Cheska....do I need to bring up the post where you bought that Catwoman statue? :D But yes if you want something nice it is pricey.

OMG I just found the place that sells Rafael Albuquerque's Amercian Vampire stuff. I might just have to buy one of those Pearl pages.

I need to find a way to convince Chad Hardin to sell me a page from Harley Quinn #2. Though I am fairly certain it takes years for current DC/Marvel stuff to show up. The ease at which ive found stuff from Image is awesome.

Comic Art Fans has a ton of art on there, including some of the more recent issues even for DC.

Cheska

So I know that Brian Michael Bendis gets just as much love as he gets hate in here, but has anyone read his "Powers" series?

Is it worth looking into? The hardcover collections seems to be reasonably priced online.

Messi

So I know that Brian Michael Bendis gets just as much love as he gets hate in here, but has anyone read his "Powers" series?

Is it worth looking into? The hardcover collections seems to be reasonably priced online.

Just got picked up to be a tv series no?

The only Powers volume I have is "Who Killed Retro Girl." I haven't read it in a long time, but I remember enjoying it. I cant speak to the rest.

tim1138

The only that dictates how long it takes pages to go on sale is how quickly the artist decides to sell them. For example I know Chris Burnham had all of his Batman Inc stuff available and Jeff Lemire already sold the cover for the final issue of Animal Man. Who they work for had no impact on quick the turnaround is from published issue to original art for sale.

Looooooove Powers. I own all of the hardcover editions so far. The only problem I have with the series is the inconsistent release schedule.

Cheska

Looooooove Powers. I own all of the hardcover editions so far. The only problem I have with the series is the inconsistent release schedule.

The Definitive Editions? Is the binding on the first one that bad? Those are the ones I was considering getting but according to Amazon reviews, the binding is so bad that many of the panels are cut off :(

The Definitive Editions? Is the binding on the first one that bad? Those are the ones I was considering getting but according to Amazon reviews, the binding is so bad that many of the panels are cut off :(

I didn't have any issues with them. But I'd be happy to check them and let you know when I get home later.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Powers is great. Because it's independent work Bendis gets to cut loose in a way he can't on books like Avengers, which was very hit and miss for me. Jumping in late mitigates the frustration with the erratic release schedule as there's a ton of great material to plow through.

Powers is great. Because it's independent work Bendis gets to cut loose in a way he can't on books like Avengers, which was very hit and miss for me. Jumping in late mitigates the frustration with the erratic release schedule as there's a ton of great material to plow through.

And Oeming's art suits the series perfectly. It might not be as elaborate as a lot of artists out there, but it's got its own charm.

fauxtrot

Banned
Messi, I've got the original art itch too, but our tastes are mighty different. I just bought a page from Ben Stenbeck's BPRD one-shot "The Ectoplasmic Man" and one of Simon Roy's pages from Prophet. They were both about $200 shipped (each). I'd love to own something of Mike Mignola's, but I don't have a spare two grand laying around, so I'll likely settle with something from Duncan Fegredo... who's done an amazing job on Hellboy thus far.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
And Oeming's art suits the series perfectly. It might not be as elaborate as a lot of artists out there, but it's got its own charm.

Yeah. It's weird. Oeming did one issue of Avengers and I thought it looked awful because I was used to how the characters are normally portrayed. In Powers it works, and especially the coloring is great at evoking the right type of moods.

Messi

Messi, I've got the original art itch too, but our tastes are mighty different. I just bought a page from Ben Stenbeck's BPRD one-shot "The Ectoplasmic Man" and one of Simon Roy's pages from Prophet. They were both about $200 shipped (each). I'd love to own something of Mike Mignola's, but I don't have a spare two grand laying around, so I'll likely settle with something from Duncan Fegredo... who's done an amazing job on Hellboy thus far.

Awesome stuff. But yes it seems our tastes are quite different. Most people here would tell you I mainly read female superhero books and generally seek those out. I'm very forgiving on quality at times if I'm attached to a character.

I read the first hellboy trade years ago and remember enjoying it but never continued. Loved both movies. I need to get back on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom