• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

I hope Caliban gets better characterization. I also hate the coloring on the art. Interesting ideas so far.
Yeah, the artwork is crappy. Good idea, but I just don't expect much from Avatar. I can see this being as popular as Crossed, but that's not saying much.

fauxtrot

Banned
Awesome stuff. But yes it seems our tastes are quite different. Most people here would tell you I mainly read female superhero books and generally seek those out. I'm very forgiving on quality at times if I'm attached to a character.

I read the first hellboy trade years ago and remember enjoying it but never continued. Loved both movies. I need to get back on that.

I think my biggest issue with superhero comics is that they often feel "safe" to me. Don't get me wrong, I read and enjoy a lot of stuff that Marvel and DC put out, but in the back of my mind, I always know that anything that happens is likely to be "reset" before long to restore the series' status quo. That being said, the writers make the best of it and there are plenty of titles not worth passing up.

Messi

I just finished the first trade of Uncanny X-Men And I must say I really enjoyed it. The art changed in the 5th issue and it looks pretty stunning. Wanted to keep reading but alas that's all I have until Wednesday. Got the first volume free by buying the most recent issue which I didn't think was a bad deal.

<3 Emma and Magik.

I think my biggest issue with superhero comics is that they often feel "safe" to me. Don't get me wrong, I read and enjoy a lot of stuff that Marvel and DC put out, but in the back of my mind, I always know that anything that happens is likely to be "reset" before long to restore the series' status quo. That being said, the writers make the best of it and there are plenty of titles not worth passing up.

Yeah I can agree with that. Really loving Images output recently. They have some of the best stories going right now.

Speaking of image I looove this cover

EastofWest11-Cover-14e60.jpg

East of West has some really striking character design. That one black woman with all that gorgeous hair from #9 stuck with me, just like it stuck with David Brothers.

Same. They introduce a new character, and it's the supporting character that's memorable. XD
Is Image going to put out OHCs for East of West? It's the only reason I haven't started buying trades yet.

Messi

East of West has some really striking character design. That one black woman with all that gorgeous hair from #9 stuck with me, just like it stuck with David Brothers.

Yeah that's pretty stunning.

Shame the story is nowhere near as good as the art/paper quality.

Cheska

OOOh this reminds me, Nick Dragotta will be doing a signing at my LCS in May. Let me know if any of you want to send something to get signed, etc :D

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

JC--are you or have you ever been David Brothers?

Magneto #1 and 2
DAMN. I am in.
Fantastic art mixed with one heck of a character. Going to be a definite yes.
All-New Ghost Rider #1
Oh, man. Loving the art and the characters seem neat. The Ghost Rider costume is a bit strange, but I like where it's going. It's a yes.
Inhuman #1
What.

Cheska

It's mostly apparent on pages with panels that continue on the next page and there aren't too many. Took a pic to show you an example. Slight spoilers for one of the first stories, but without much context it shouldn't ruin things too much. Still a heads up.

http://i.imgur.com/xSfJuGu.jpg

Thank you for this! Is the overall quality of the hardcovers still pretty good?

Messi

Magneto #1 and 2
DAMN. I am in.
Fantastic art mixed with one heck of a character. Going to be a definite yes.
All-New Ghost Rider #1
Oh, man. Loving the art and the characters seem neat. The Ghost Rider costume is a bit strange, but I like where it's going. It's a yes.
Inhuman #1
What.

You didn't see the reviews page for Inhuman? You Sir are failing to tow the company line. Avoid Rafa at all costs brah.

Unai

Finally got my Fear Agent volume 1 today. Comparison pictures time (because that's apparently what you do)!

IMG_20140405_134047_407.jpg

It's taller than other hardcovers I have but looks to be about as thick as the Animal Man omnibus and a little thicker than the Green Lantern omnibus.

Is the art on the Animal-Man printed on the cover itself, or is that a dust jacket?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for this! Is the overall quality of the hardcovers still pretty good?

I think so. The paper feels nice and the quality of the printing looks good as well but I may be easy to please in that regard. Some spelling errors here and there. Also like the extra pages at the end, which feature covers, character sketches, a script and some behind the scenes stuff.

Cheska

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I've seen anyone comment about Captain America: Winter Soldier yet. Has anyone seen it? Good representation of the book?

There is only DOOM!

...and the LIST

Batman Eternal #1
Coffin Hill #7
East of West #11
Invincible #110
Shutter #1
Walking Dead #125
All-New X-Men #25
Captain Marvel #2

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I've seen anyone comment about Captain America: Winter Soldier yet. Has anyone seen it? Good representation of the book?

Just got back. I have not read the book. With that said, I really enjoyed it. It would have been a good movie if these were just made up characters. It's not my best Super Hero movie but it's top tier.

My weekly Eternal list.

My BuyList via Comics Day App

BATGIRL #30 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #1 $2.99
COFFIN HILL #7 (MR) $2.99
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #7 (DOOMED) $3.99
ALL NEW ULTIMATES #1 $3.99
CAPTAIN MARVEL #2 ANMN $3.99
DAREDEVIL #1.50 $4.99
IRON FIST LIVING WEAPON #1 ANMN $3.99
SECRET AVENGERS #2 ANMN $3.99

So I just read Ms. Marvel, which was actually the first comic I've ever read, and I really liked it.

Are there any other comics either new, and if they're new preferably around 1st-3rd issue, or old that I should check out next? I have a marvel unlimited subscription if that helps.

Cheska

So I just read Ms. Marvel, which was actually the first comic I've ever read, and I really liked it.

Are there any other comics either new, and if they're new preferably around 1st-3rd issue, or old that I should check out next? I have a marvel unlimited subscription if that helps.

Marvel Unlimited has a ton of good stuff on there, and they're usually only a few Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist, Brian K Vaughn's Runaways, and if you liked Ms. Marvel you should really check out Kelly Sue Deconnick's Captain Marvel, it even features a cameo by Kamala :)

*stank face*

I'm done with Ultimate Spiderman. Why the hell is Peter dating Gwen Stacy now? That's practically incest dammit they had a nice dynamic going on. They didn't even build that up, just did a damn time skip. And David Lufuente's art is terrible, everybody has mango heads. This, coupled with Peter dying off later is too much. SpOck is gone and Kaine lost his solo book so I'm off spider books for now.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Silver Surfer. Secret Avengers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If you're looking for something that just started you should read Silver Surfer. It only has one issue so far but it's great.

Cheska

My Biggest List of the Year ;_;

DC
Batgirl #30
Batman Eternal #1
FBP #9
Justice League 3000 #5
Superman/Wonder Woman #7
Worlds Finest #22

East of West #11
Shutter #1 - I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this one, here's some preview art yo!

Marvel
All New Ghost Rider #2
All New Ultimates #1
All New X-Men #25
Captain Marvel #2
Iron Fist #1
Secret Avengers #2

aaaannd Silver Surfer #1

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is Image going to put out OHCs for East of West? It's the only reason I haven't started buying trades yet.

There's nothing announced to my knowledge. There's nothing announced like that for Manhattan Projects either, and that's further along, and since it's mostly up to the creators, I'd suspect there will be similar treatment between the two. So... if those are in the cards, it doesn't seem like they'll be happening soon.

Messi

I've seen the movie which I thought was fantastic. Can't comment on its accuracy to the book though.

Impeccable quality list

Batgirl #30
Batman Eternal #1
FBP #9
Shutter #1
East of West #11
Superman Wonder Woman #7
All new Ultimates #1
All new Ghost Rider #2
All new Doop #1
Nightcrawler #1
Deadpool #27
Captain Marvel #2
Iron Fist #1
Secret Avengers #2

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What Hulk story should I read next? Planet Hulk was the first Hulk arc I've read and I loved it. People have recommended before to avoid World War Hulk.

*stank face*

I'm done with Ultimate Spiderman. Why the hell is Peter dating Gwen Stacy now? That's practically incest dammit they had a nice dynamic going on. They didn't even build that up, just did a damn time skip. And David Lufuente's art is terrible, everybody has mango heads. This, coupled with Peter dying off later is too much. SpOck is gone and Kaine lost his solo book so I'm off spider books for now.

Keep reading until the series reboots IMO. The couple of arcs from where you are until the Morales reboot were some of my favorite.

Splatt

*stank face*

I've been preaching that since forever but noone listened to me :(
until I put on a mask /bane

Is there any good avengers series I should be reading? I just watched the Avengers movie and actually enjoyed it so I'm curious if there's any story lines I should read now.

Toa TAK

Banned
*stank face*

Wasn't a fan of that happening or the art, but like BlueScrote said, the last couple arcs are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom