• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up Superman/Wonder Woman #7. I haven't read any previous issues, is this a new story arch?
Was looking through it at my LCS loving the art, had to get it.

I'd really suggest you read the previous issues, they are even more gorgeous, imo. But it's more of a resolution of the events of #6 and a prelude to the Superman/Doomsday Event so you should be fine.

ZoddGutts

Prophet is a good book, right? I'm putting together an IST order right now and I'm on a bit of a sci-fi kick, so I think I'm gonna pick up the three trades of that. Also planning to pick up the second volume of Elephantmen and that new Jonah Hex trade.
Anyone have suggestions for substitutions to be made?

I like Prophet, it's a weird Future sci-fi comic.

Owzers

I've just started reading the 2013 Secret Avengers series on Unlimited and enjoying it so far.

Will catch up with this before starting on the new run.

i jumped in, it's very easy to get into, but i do want to go back to the previous run on Unlimited too when i resub.

fauxtrot

Banned
Prophet is a good book, right? I'm putting together an IST order right now and I'm on a bit of a sci-fi kick, so I think I'm gonna pick up the three trades of that. Also planning to pick up the second volume of Elephantmen and that new Jonah Hex trade.

Prophet is awesome, but weird... the best kind of weird.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This is a bad week to have to wait an extra day for my books. Doop and Secret Avengers and FBP--maaan.

I'd really suggest you read the previous issues, they are even more gorgeous, imo. But it's more of a resolution of the events of #6 and a prelude to the Superman/Doomsday Event so you should be fine.
Cool I'll check it out. Thanks.

I thought Iron Fist was awesome, a good #1. Really liked the story so far, really looking forward to #2.

Batman Eternal #1 - Seems really compelling so far. Glad I only have to wait a week to get more.

Invincible #110 - OMG, I already knew what happened going in, but actually reading it.... There were no quiet moments this issue. It
went straight from break-up to rape[-up]. (sorry, I had to)
. I found it disturbing, terrifying, and arousing. I....I don't want to talk about it any more right now.

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #1 - Fuck. Yes. This is the Iron Fist I've been waiting for since the Brubaker / Fraction run ended. I'm hoping this series goes the distance.

Hagi

So I just picked up ANXM 17 to 25 and Superior Spock 26 for £5.50, what is this world we live in. Can't wait to get caught up with All New X-Men.

Need to get Iron fist and thinking about starting Secret Avengers.

So yeah ANXM...

Did they just confirm that when all this shit is over that everything will change the current timeline?

Batman: Eternal

=0

Nightcrawler was a fun read.

Doop's last page was the real shocker of the week.

Some thoughts here and there:

Batman Eternal #1: Not much happened but I liked it. I'm keeping this for the time being.

Superman Wonder Woman #7: Tony Daniels would have made this issue better, but it was a solid issue as usual. I didn't want to, but after this and Action Comics, I am looking forward to this Doomsday story. Hopefully Lobdell doesn't ruin it for me.

Invincible #110: ...damn. Kirkman doesn't pull any punches here...

Walking Dead #125: I'm finally dropping this.

All-New X-Factor #6: And this. I'm sorry PAD, I'll read your 2099.

Daredevil #1.50: Loved this.

Deadpool #27: I started with this and realized I hadn't read Deadpool: The Gauntlet, so I did. Duggan and Posehn's Deadpool is the best Deadpool.

Secret Avengers #2 CLAP FOR M.O.D.O.K!

Bloodshot And H.A.R.D. Corps #21: I only got this because of the crossover with Archer & Armstrong. I liked the crossover but this issue had really lackluster and inconsistent art. Dropping this (Not A&A, only Bloodshot. A&A is the shiet).

So yeah ANXM...

Did they just confirm that when all this shit is over that everything will change the current timeline?

I think they just confirmed that
Beast is the one who kills the Watcher, because damn.... a verbal ass-whooping like that has to sting. Watcher said that Henry disgusts him
. lololololololololol

arkon

It's good but an acquired taste. There's lots of cool and weird worldbuilding in there. It's kind of Conan in space. Things really open up after the first arc. Worth trying out at the very least.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Sweet. Just put in my order for IST. Went with Jonah Hex: Shadows West, Elephantmen Vol 2, and Prophet Vol 1, 2, and 3. Ended up at $50.15 to JUST get that free shipping. I'm really excited to read all this stuff.

I'm probably slightly insane for buying more stuff even though I still have to finish the last little bit of Fear Agent vol 1 (these Tales of the Fear Agent shorts are fantastic), read Fear Agent vol 2, and read Colossal Conan (not to mention Ronin and Immortal Iron Fist complete collection on my shelf unread), but oh well. :D

arkon

Sweet. Just put in my order for IST. Went with Jonah Hex: Shadows West, Elephantmen Vol 2, and Prophet Vol 1, 2, and 3. Ended up at $50.15 to JUST get that free shipping. I'm really excited to read all this stuff.

I'm probably slightly insane for buying more stuff even though I still have to finish the last little bit of Fear Agent vol 1 (these Tales of the Fear Agent shorts are fantastic), read Fear Agent vol 2, and read Colossal Conan (not to mention Ronin and Immortal Iron Fist complete collection on my shelf unread), but oh well. :D

This is what I found happening to me. It's a slippery slope and I still haven't recovered. So much stuff to read and yet there's always something new to buy on top of it all.

Messi

All new Ultimates #1:Wow what a letdown. The art is horrible and the story seems all over the place. None of the characters feel distinct like they did in Ultimate Miles-Man. Not even Miles.
I can't believe they changed the awesome Spider Woman into hipster black widow. Biggest turn off of the whole book

Doop #1: I have no idea what I just read. Some of it made me laugh. I do love his infatuation with kitty. <3 Kitty

nother thought experiment I had: Favorite and Least favorite runs/sagas/stories/versions of your favorite comic book superheroes. Your most preferred and your least preferred. The Best vs the Worst.

Batman:

The Best - DCAU Batman

Batman_BTAS.jpg

Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and Alan Burnett go over 50 years of Batman stories and cherry pick all the elements that worked, leaving a streamlined hero not just in the features, but his personality as well. A Dark Knight, but rarely grim and angsty. Stern, but not above the occasional smile or joke. A world-class detective and martial artist, yet still recognizably human in his physical limitations. My favorite trait is the underlying compassion and empathy he has for the criminals of Gotham. My absolute favorite scene in the Batman Animated Series comes at the end of Harlequinade, where he succinctly why he wanted to believe Harley could be reformed and brings her that dress she wanted. This is a man who feels pain every time he has to face down his former friend Harvey Dent, who feels pity at Mr.Freeze's tragic circumstances, who genuinely believes Selena Kyle can stop her criminal ways and be a respectable member of society. Because he's been down that hole, he's been hurt by the outside world, and he knows how easy it is to turn out that anger back at it. His plan is to set an example of justice that everybody and Gotham can strive for, even the Joker.

Worst - Kevin's Smith Batman

wg03.jpg

I think resident Batmanologist Chris Sims said as much if not more than I was gonna say, but in short: its like all the worst fanfiction about Batman you've ever seen or heard rumors about...but DC published it. IDK what's worse, pissing on one of the greatest Batman moments of all-time or bringing back Batman's best love interest for cheap sex jokes, Batman beating her up, then killing her for Geoff Johnsian shock value.

I think most of us have this issue lol

I have a stack of trades waiting to be read.

All new Ultimates #1:Wow what a letdown. The art is horrible and the story seems all over the place. None of the characters feel distinct like they did in Ultimate Miles-Man. Not even Miles.
I can't believe they changed the awesome Spider Woman into hipster black widow. Biggest turn off of the whole book

Those who can't dig on a rad cross between Leandro Fernandez and Igor Kordey are doomed to one wackly drawn comic industry.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Worst - Kevin's Smith Batman

wg03.jpg

I think resident Batmanologist Chris Sims said as much if not more than I was gonna say, but in short: its like all the worst fanfiction about Batman you've ever seen or heard rumors about...but DC published it. IDK what's worse, pissing on one of the greatest Batman moments of all-time or bringing back Batman's best love interest for cheap sex jokes, Batman beating her up, then killing her for Geoff Johnsian shock value.

I don't think it's the worst Batman comic I've read, but just in terms of following one of Sims' complaints, and yours, on the topic of doing research and maintaining logical realism, Kevin Smith did research on the bladder spasm/Year One moment. Apparently, firefighters faced with intense fires or flare-ups are known to have bladder spasms and piss themselves. Did that part of the story need to be tied to that moment in Year One, probably not.

Suicide Squad

Best - Ostrander
Worst - Glass

wow that was easy. when you've only been reading comics off and on for 3 years, there's not a whole lot to pick from

You can have my Captain Marvel codes also. Seriously they are just gonna go to waste. I don't have the energy to set up PayPal and ebay account to sell the things.

It didn't really dawn on me that the digital codes had any value. I just checked eBay and people are trying to sell some for $2-$3? Seems a bit steep to me, but whatever.

Is it frowned upon to swap them at all? I prefer to read my books physically, but it'd be cool to try out a book that I was on the fence for.

I missed the boat on those All-New Ultimates codes on Reddit. Anybody got any they want to offload? I'm not sure if we can do this in this thread....

Superman:

Best: All-Star Superman

Again, we have an iconic DC character crafted by a few incredibly talented comic creators who seemed to have studied the entire history of his existence until they found the perfect version. It feels like the script was chiseled down into the most brief, precise bits of dialog that gets right down to the core of the character. The most powerful man in the world, and just wants the best for all of us. Not because his parents died or guilt over his weapons being used for murder or because he was assigned a magic ring to protect his sector of the galaxy; he honestly just believes its the best thing to do. I could probably sit here all day listing off adjectives about All-Star Superman, its inspiringly good. You close the book and there's no doubt in your mind he's the greatest superhero of them all. Its clever and beautiful and poignant and hilarious and sorta perfect.

jf50NUjExnUT2.jpg

Worst: Superman: Grounded

As forgettable as most of these non-Gene Ha/Aaron Kuder/Jae Lee drawn issues of Nu52 Superman may be, rest easy knowing they aren't as bad as JMS' abomination. Its like the ur-text of how not to write Superman. It should be taught in school. A bullying, patronizing, child-endangering, lazy, pouty, speechifying dullard of a character that attempts to solve "real world issues" and you find out real quick why it doesn't happen more often. It doesn't help when its performed in the most cliche, ham-fisted way possible, attacking one stupid strawman after another. Give this book to small children if you want them to grow up hating Superman.

nother thought experiment I had: Favorite and Least favorite runs/sagas/stories/versions of your favorite comic book superheroes. Your most preferred and your least preferred. The Best vs the Worst.

Batman:
Best: Morrison's entire run.

Worst: War Drums/Games/Crimes

The fuck outta here Leslie

Igor Kordlys art was ass on New X-men. not reall selling it Birdie!

Wolverine

Best

Tie: Jason Aarons run and Wolveine Enermy of thr State By Millar and JRJR/

Worst

paul cornell
jeph loeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom