• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Nothing else matters.
Except maybe All New X-men
I'm caught up with all Spider-Man for now. lol
I'll go check out All-New X-Men.

Just go to your LCS and say "I want every fucking marvel solo book in this place"
I got no LCS. :(

My current list is:
All-New Ghost Rider
Moon Knight
Superior Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
The Ultimates
Magneto

Any recommendations?

All New Ultimates already dropped. More I thought about it, the more I didn't want to try it. Inhumans was better. I can't stand art I don't like.

Bii

I'm caught up with all Spider-Man for now. lol
I'll go check out All-New X-Men.

I got no LCS. :(

My current list is:
All-New Ghost Rider
Moon Knight
Superior Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
The Ultimates
Magneto

Any recommendations?

Daredevil and Hawkeye, bro.

Any recommendations?
Superior Foes of Spider-Man!
The first trade's really cheap (~$10) and after that you only have to buy a few floppies (you can skip 10 and 11 since they're filler issues). It's a really funny book and has a great cast of characters.

Hawkeye, Mark Waid's Daredevil, and Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif are also great.

Secret Avengers...though there's only been one issue, it was fantastic.
Added to cart. Looks pretty swell.

Daredevil and Hawkeye, bro.
Ugh, I forgot to keep buying Hawkeye! -_-
I'm in issue 3, so I'll pick up the rest.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man!
The first trade's really cheap (~$10) and after that you only have to buy a few floppies (you can skip 10 and 11 since they're filler issues). It's a really funny book and has a great cast of characters. Hawkeye, Mark Waid's Daredevil, and Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif are also great.
Right on, will add to the list. Thanks, everyone! :)

Mumei

If you check your account you can find the status of each book. It will say if it's been picked and scanned or not. If everything is picked but one title then that usually means they may be waiting on a resupply for that title.

I actually received an e-mail informing me that LAST UNICORN HC DLX ED is temporarily out of stock and on backorder from their distributor, and they're asking me if I'd like to substitute the item or have the book refunded. :(

Well, it was that time once every 20 issues where The Walking Dead gets interesting. That was also a massive kick to the nuts.

Reading Invincible while I was still reeling was not a good idea. Fuck you, Kirkman. And see you next month. Asshole.

There is still hope in the Miles solo book.

Exactly, Miles solo book will be great.

On the other hand (Fist), the Iron Fist was great. I pulled it and Nightcrawler and I liked the fist just a tad more but with me dropping Ultimates, I can afford to try both for awhile.

Well, it was that time once every 20 issues where The Walking Dead gets interesting. That was also a massive kick to the nuts.

Reading Invincible while I was still reeling was not a good idea. Fuck you, Kirkman. And see you next month. Asshole.

I think Invincible's issue was far more interesting than Walking Dead's. It feels like Kirkman is really stretching out this All Out War crap. I just want to get to issue #127 and see if he's really changing the cast like the cover suggests, if not I'll drop the book.

I think Invincible's issue was far more interesting than Walking Dead's. It feels like Kirkman is really stretching out this All Out War crap. I just want to get to issue #127 and see if he's really changing the cast like the cover suggests, if not I'll drop the book.
Oh yeah, Invincible was much better, as it consistently is. Back to back, it just felt like a double dose of nihilism.

The last few pages of TWD annoyed because
they essentially nail what a realistic endgame to the series is, in an articulated and believable manner. Then Rick just flips the table on that last page. I get the point, that it's the world they live in, violence breeds violence, etc. But it's really symptomatic of how the book has been running in circles forever now. I don't feel the main characters have matured in any kind of interesting way and I can't really care for all the red shirts.

So yeah, I'm with you. That said, if they're just back on the road for another snorefest, I'll drop it too.

Superman Wonder Woman was pretty good. Miss my Tony Daniel art but the fill ins did alright. Nice to see Clark and Diana go do something human for a change.

Just read Black Widow 1-5 and I don't know why I dropped it after #2 in the first place. What a damn good book!

I would never drop a book after just two issues. Unless those issues were just unspeakably horrible, which is why Jupiter's Legacy didn't last long.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about picking up Batwoman again. Kinda regret dropping it in the first place, as it sounds like it's still been pretty good. Luckily I still have my Batwoman hardcovers, I'd just need to grab Vol.3 and 4 to complete my collection.

I think I'm only at like 8 posts in this thread. I've got to step up my game to get to Messi-level. Hustle.

Most of his posts are just Nocenti spam.

I think I've always liked Invincible more than the Walking Dead, but I really enjoyed both books. Lately, though... TWD has just been dragging.

Okay what the hell is up with Batgirl 30. I think the guest writer (M. Bennett) is having too much fun with "Dick".

"Dick used to do a lot of things..."
"Dick used to tease the hell out of me - was there any other way dick could tease?"
"Dick watched them with me even though he jumped out of his skin"
"but Dick as he teased me.." "and it hurts to think of hiim" (there is actually a typo here)

Oh yeah, Invincible was much better, as it consistently is. Back to back, it just felt like a double dose of nihilism.

The last few pages of TWD annoyed because
they essentially nail what a realistic endgame to the series is, in an articulated and believable manner. Then Rick just flips the table on that last page. I get the point, that it's the world they live in, violence breeds violence, etc. But it's really symptomatic of how the book has been running in circles forever now. I don't feel the main characters have matured in any kind of interesting way and I can't really care for all the red shirts.

So yeah, I'm with you. That said, if they're just back on the road for another snorefest, I'll drop it too.

Yeah, that felt like a kick in the balls. It would have been refreshing if
that exchange was actually sincere, and then we got to see some political tension arcs or something, but Rick was like naw son

I think I've always liked Invincible more than the Walking Dead, but I really enjoyed both books. Lately, though... TWD has just been dragging.

Now that I think about it, the series probably just needs to end even if it gets a new cast. there's only so much that can be done with it as long as it's just about traditional zombies and SURVIVING!!!! It needs a major shakeup, even if it means alienating people from the book. Well, I guess it doesn't NEED it since the sales are just as good as ever but it's getting really boring.

Now that I think about it, the series probably just needs to end even if it gets a new cast. there's only so much that can be done with it as long as it's just about traditional zombies and SURVIVING!!!! It needs a major shakeup, even if it means alienating people from the book. Well, I guess it doesn't NEED it since the sales are just as good as ever but it's getting really boring.

Well, we're 100+ issues into a series about life in the zombie apocalypse. Zombies have always been an element of the world they live in, while the story has stayed character-driven. I think now would be the time to start building toward a resolution. Ending the zombie threat in some permanent manner. Of course, you'd need a new, legit scientist and whatnot, which you could build a new group of characters around - if that's the direction he's headed, and then have them meet up with Rick and his people. Yadda yadda yadda, you could probably wrap things up by issue #200.

Realistically, Kirkman is going to ride this money-train as long as he can.

frye

Doop owned, but the best part is the idea that Milligan had to read the BotA hardcover that Alonso sent him so he could write it.

Sadist

he deserves to be called out. he knows how time related thingscan go wrong real quick, and still decided that this was a good idea. no excuses. he fucked up royally, and should be called out on it. we did get classic cyke though, so not all is bad
Yeah, sure. Still, even with all the risks taken and Uatu flat out saying the mutant race will have to face shit forever, I still understand Beast's reasoning. He wants his old friend back. He just... took a very literal approach. Young Cyclops is loads better yeah. Still hope Hank can fix this.

Okay what the hell is up with Batgirl 30. I think the guest writer (M. Bennett) is having too much fun with "Dick".

"Dick used to do a lot of things..."
"Dick used to tease the hell out of me - was there any other way dick could tease?"
"Dick watched them with me even though he jumped out of his skin"
"but Dick as he teased me.." "and it hurts to think of hiim" (there is actually a typo here)

This is supposed to be after Forever Evil so in theory, Dick Grayson is out of the picture.

Just read Batman Eternal #1. I am giddy that I get to read this every week for the foreseeable future. It is going to be epic.

131153567241.gif

I have literally no idea if this run is going to pay off at all. But it really does have a sense of energy and scale that has me, as you said so succinctly, giddy with excitement.

A scene in particular that I enjoyed.

When Gordon
radios for backup and you are given the impression it's to GCPD but in reality it turns out to be Batman, who makes an entrance in FUCKING STYLE.

Sadist

I really enjoy The Walking Dead.

Man, Invincible 110 was hard reading.
The Walking Dead spoilers

I love how surprised Negan was during Rick's "you must be the one of stupidest people who survived" speech. I kinda expected Rick to react the way he did, but Negan really seemed to understand Rick's point of view. And wham, knife attack! Carl finally showing some humanity again was great as well.

Anyone get Lumberjanes?
It was sold out. :(

Marvel Comics
All-New Doop #1
All-New Ghost Rider #2
Captain Marvel #2
Daredevil #1.50
Deadpool #27
Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #1
Nightcrawler #1

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #5

IDW Publishing
Samurai Jack #7

I flipped through Doop at the shelves, and as I was doing so I thought about putting it back; I asked myself: do I really want to relive BotA?

Then I got to the end, and before I knew what was happening my debit card was in my hand.

131153567241.gif

I have literally no idea if this run is going to pay off at all. But it really does have a sense of energy and scale that has me, as you said so succinctly, giddy with excitement.

A scene in particular that I enjoyed.

When Gordon
radios for backup and you are given the impression it's to GCPD but in reality it turns out to be Batman, who makes an entrance in FUCKING STYLE.

Yeah, there is just ominous tone you get with this book that shit is going to get shook up.

Do you think it's Selina who is pulling the strings here? I think there is someone more powerful who eventually puts or let's Selina become the Kingpin of Gotham. But they know who Bruce is. Very mysterious.

That said, my top 3 books of the week remain unchanged. Ghost Rider came out of nowhere and surprised the hell out of me.

tim1138

So Ghost Rider was cool as hell. The best thing about that book is letting Tradd Moore carry the bulk of the story telling duties through the art. There's like no monologue or unnecessary exposition, but a whole lot of Moore showing you what's going on visually. What a pleasant surprise.

All-New X-Men was a great issue to come back to. Wet get to see the real implications of what Hank did by dicking around in the time stream and fantastic guest art. The
Jean Gray
stuff was especially top notch.

Captain Marvel is likely be dropped down to trade wait status. It's not a bad book by any means, but at the same time I dunno if it's $4 a month good. I like Carol in space much more than her lost in time and the other stuff from the previous run.

Secret Avengers was utterly fantastic and probably my book of the month. All hail Ales Kot.

After a really great Winged Victory arc, Astro City returns to a man in the story. As compelling as the heroes of Busiek's world are, it's the citizens of Astro City that have always been the most fascinating to me.

Coffin Hill was a nice little interlude story which I'm assuming will serve as a bridge to the next longer story arc. I don't see a lot of talk about this book, but it's a really well down New England horror story in the vein of Stephen King or Joe Hill.

We finally got to see a little of Clark and Diana just getting to be Clark and Diana in Superman/Wonder Woman, and of course there was foreshadowing to the big
Doomsday
event coming in May.

All in all it was a solid week of comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Prophet is a good book, right? I'm putting together an IST order right now and I'm on a bit of a sci-fi kick, so I think I'm gonna pick up the three trades of that. Also planning to pick up the second volume of Elephantmen and that new Jonah Hex trade.
Anyone have suggestions for substitutions to be made?

Captain Marvel is likely be dropped down to trade wait status. It's not a bad book by any means, but at the same time I dunno if it's $4 a month good. I like Carol in space much more than her lost in time and the other stuff from the previous run.

You can have my Captain Marvel codes also. Seriously they are just gonna go to waste. I don't have the energy to set up PayPal and ebay account to sell the things.

Batman Eternal #1
Off to a good start, really excited how much the GCPD is going to be involved. Hopefully it stays somewhat consistent.

Secret Avengers #2
Fury Jr and Coulson are slowly becoming bearable. Two issues in and it seems Kot really wanted to make a statement on what this series is about. I hope he keeps up this pace of shorter story arcs. Also, Michael Walsh, damn, so good.

Onto Shutter, I've pretty much satisfied my comic cravings for today but I hope this one will make it three for three.

tim1138

You can have my Captain Marvel codes also. Seriously they are just gonna go to waste. I don't have the energy to set up PayPal and ebay account to sell the things.

Well if you're gonna twist my arm...
If I was in the same scenario I'd give the codes away too, share the love.

I picked up Superman/Wonder Woman #7. I haven't read any previous issues, is this a new story arch?
Was looking through it at my LCS loving the art, had to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom