• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
tumblr_n3vv73qgfD1s5k9amo1_500.png

speaking of awesome art

Yup! Im looking forward to the art of Elektra. Iron Fist delivered now the waiting game for my next most anticipated solo act.

See, to me, the fact that
Eve dumped Mark after finding out he was still alive just seemed totally out-of-character for Eve. It seemed like Kirkman used it more as a vehicle to lead to the rape scene. I'm not saying the rape scene itself wasn't well-written and powerful, but it felt to me like having Eve dump him was just a means to get a sad, mopey Mark out there for Anissa to rape.
I definitely thought it was a great issue, there was just that one bit that didn't really seem to add up.

It wasn't really out of character to me. Look at all the times Mark has been
"dead". Eve has had to grieve and accept him as dead multiple times within a few years. Remember when she had the abortion? She told him not to go after Levi but he did anyway and left her to think she'd be a single mother. He is gone too much for 6+ months at a time and she is finally tired of it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It wasn't really out of character to me. Look at all the times Mark has been
"dead". Eve has had to grieve and accept him as dead multiple times within a few years. Remember when she had the abortion? She told him not to go after Levi but he did anyway and left her to think she'd be a single mother. He is gone too much for 6+ months at a time and she is finally tired of it.

Yep Chi Chi finally told Goku to stay dead

tim1138

Getting caught up on Uncanny Avengers, but sadly I'm gonna have to stop reading. How can anyone enjoy a book that has so much black space on a page?!

Screenshot_2014-04-13-17-10-33.png

Seriously though, it's amazing how much better this book got after that initial arc.

Messi

Getting caught up on Uncanny Avengers, but sadly I'm gonna have to stop reading. How can anyone enjoy a book that has so much black space on a page?!

Seriously though, it's amazing how much better this book got after that initial arc.

This is what happens when you accept stuff like Moon Knight

KidDork

If I had to judge the reasoning for it I think it'd be DC reacting to what it sees selling. It has tried a number of random, out there titles, both during the New 52 launch, and in subsequent waves, but few of them gained any support. The same people buying a Doop book ignored the wonderful and gorgeous Sword of Sorcery.

But wouldn't it make more sense to use the slush money from the best selling books to bolster lesser books, to let them find an audience, instead of pulling the plug six months in and going back to the tried and true? Nothing is given time to breathe any more. You either become an instant success or you're taken to the gallows. If Disney and Warner Brothers are using their comics as potential IP farms, why not allow some of these time to actually grow?

I just read the Uncanny X-Force omnibus and would love to know what your thoughts on it were.

kswiston

I just read the Uncanny X-Force omnibus and would love to know what your thoughts on it were.

The first Uncanny Avengers story arc was a pretty mediocre tie-in to the Avengers vs X-Men aftermath, but after that, it's basically a continuation of Remender's Uncanny X-Force with some Avengers thrown into the mix. The past year of Uncanny Avengers has been dealing with the fallout of the Dark Angel Saga and the ending of Uncanny X-Force. Some plot threads from Uncanny X-Force, like
Pestilence being pregnant with Archangel's child
are picked up on.

tim1138

Have you guys checked out http://www.welovefine.com/? They sell a ton of really neat pop culture related merchandise.

I have, when I first saw that image floating around online I thought it was from We Love Fine. Sadly it was not.

KoruptData said:

I dunno if I enjoyed it as much as the rest of ComicsGAF did, but it was a good read. It was a little confusing for me when it first started, as it was the first X-book I had read since Morrison's run on New X-Men and I had no idea how or why Warren could switch between Angel and Archangel personas. I actually dropped the monthly title and just got the trades from the library, I think Remender honestly reads better that way.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That's a bitchin Carol statue Cheska, post pictures when you get it.

Kind of related, but I wish this was a thing I could buy:

I love my Nightwing Hero Hoodie, wish the guy continued that line.

Blues1990

I'm unsure if North American comics are only allowed to be discussed here, but I've been reading a lot of European comics, such as Corto Maltese, Lucky Luke, La Frontera Invisible, le Troisieme Testament, Alex Alice's Siegried, & a lot of the Spirou comics.

I'm also looking forward to the next issue of Archie Comics take on the Classic Mega Man series, especially with the upcoming crossover that is going to be... interesting, at the least.

Blues1990

All comics of every type are welcome and loved by somebody here.

Edit: Did a cursory search on the titles you named off. Corto Maltese looks pretty cool. I'm a sucker for period pieces like that.

It's a pretty awesome series, from what I've read. I've forgot to mention that I wanted to hear of any recommendations from you guys, with regards to some excellent European comics to read (aside from what I've already mentioned, as well as the more obvious choices, such as Asterix & Tintin).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's a pretty awesome series, from what I've read. I've forgot to mention that I wanted to hear of any recommendations from you guys, with regards to some excellent European comics to read (aside from what I've already mentioned, as well as the more obvious choices, such as Asterix & Tintin).

Check out Blacksad. Great detective noir stories from Spainsh creators via French publishers(?):
blacksad+street.png

tim1138

I'm unsure if North American comics are only allowed to be discussed here, but I've been reading a lot of European comics, such as Corto Maltese, Lucky Luke, La Frontera Invisible, le Troisieme Testament, Alex Alice's Siegried, & a lot of the Spirou comics.

I'm also looking forward to the next issue of Archie Comics take on the Classic Mega Man series, especially with the upcoming crossover that is going to be... interesting, at the least.

Awhile back Chris Burnham was tweeting about a French comic called Metabarons that sounded cool as hell. It sounded all space opera-y and stuff, I really need to try and track it down.

Messi

I need to stay away from Welovefine. They have awesome Last of Us tshirts and those Kate/Clint tshirts from the pizza dog issue

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
After volume 3 of Saga I may have had my fill. I'm not sure the gorgeous art can sustain my interest. The story is just a meandering soap opera that's going nowhere fast. How many times can a new character appear and be someone's ex or relative? How many times am I supposed to be shocked or intrigued by some simple sexual innuendo? OMG, splash page for a nude woman with a unicorn horn! And at some point in the past she took whats-her-face's virginity?! Who gives a shit. Virtually every character is in some way pansexual, it ain't shocking, especially not when the reveal is relevant for all of 2 pages.

Oy, and the cloying, precious narration by the daughter from some point in the future dropping little tidbits of mythology here and there. How I Met Your Mother called and wants its gimmick back.

But damn, that art... and Lying Cat... and the occasional cool bit of sci-fi/fantasy. Unfortunately, I don't care about any of these characters or their barely existent agendas.

Messi

After volume 3 of Saga I may have had my fill. I'm not sure the gorgeous art can sustain my interest. The story is just a meandering soap opera that's going nowhere fast. How many times can a new character appear and be someone's ex or relative? How many times am I supposed to be shocked or intrigued by some simple sexual innuendo? OMG, splash page for a nude woman with a unicorn horn! And at some point in the past she took whats-her-face's virginity?! Who gives a shit. Virtually every character is in some way pansexual, it ain't shocking, especially not when the reveal is relevant for all of 2 pages.

Oy, and the cloying, precious narration by the daughter from some point in the future dropping little tidbits of mythology here and there. How I Met Your Mother called and wants its gimmick back.

But damn, that art... and Lying Cat... and the occasional cool bit of sci-fi/fantasy. Unfortunately, I don't care about any of these characters or their barely existent agendas.

Wait what?

Messi

Spoiler? Issue 16:
Gwendolyn hallucinates some unicorn chick and says she's the person who took her virginity.

Totally forgot that.

I don't want to spoil the context of this page but it was lovely and heartwarming.

Screen+Shot+2013-09-27+at+3.27.43+PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom