• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the Spidey Super Stories omnibus coming marvel

IDK sir, but I'm putting in a formal request soon

SSS-Kang01.jpg

SSS-Kang02.jpg

How is Uncanny Avengers these days? I dropped it during the first arc because it was god-awful. But I've been hearing it's gotten better, so I was thinking about picking up the second and third trades to catch up.

Onemic

I dunno if I enjoyed it as much as the rest of ComicsGAF did, but it was a good read. It was a little confusing for me when it first started, as it was the first X-book I had read since Morrison's run on New X-Men and I had no idea how or why Warren could switch between Angel and Archangel personas. I actually dropped the monthly title and just got the trades from the library, I think Remender honestly reads better that way.

This is exactly why I stopped reading it after the second volume. It was like hopping into the middle of a TV series with no explanation to what was going on or why they were doing the things they did.

Since I'm going through the xmen series from the beginning I'll get back to it eventually, but still, I wanna know, what exactly is Remenders run of x-force based off of?

This is exactly why I stopped reading it after the second volume. It was like hopping into the middle of a TV series with no explanation to what was going on or why they were doing the things they did.

Since I'm going through the xmen series from the beginning I'll get back to it eventually, but still, I wanna know, what exactly is Remenders run of x-force based off of?
Not only that, the stuff with xavier being dead, magneto being good, genosha, and a bunch of other stuff that the series seems to be based on, but is assumed the reader already knows about.
I agree that the run wasn't new reader friendly, you would need a general understanding of the x-comics continuity for it to be a more rewarding read. But that is exactly why x-fans love it as much as they do.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean "what the run was based on", it's a new series that will sometimes bring up big events that happened in past books, which is a usual occurrence of almost all x-books.

sqwarlock

I've finally read through Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest. Amazing stories, both, and now I'm going on to War of Kings. I've heard that it's pretty complex, but I look forward to it. Cosmic Marvel is fast becoming my favorite Marvel.

Onemic

I agree that the run wasn't new reader friendly, you would need a general understanding of the x-comics continuity for it to be a more rewarding read. But that is exactly why x-fans love it as much as they do.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean "what the run was based on", it's a new series that will sometimes bring up big events that happened in past books, which is a usual occurrence of almost all x-books.

I mean, the entrie premise of the book itself is heavily based off of past events. It's not like Giant Size X-men, where you need no previous knowledge of the xmen to understand what's going on. Even then, backstory is presented to explain why Xavier was making a new team in the first place. In uncanny x-force, it's all assumed the reader already knows everything, and the comic makes no attempt to explain the backstory, especially one as involved as X-force.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I finally got around to reading All-New Ultimates #1. Damn, that art is horrendous. I know I must be late to the party here, but everyone's faces looked so bad it was massively off-putting. It's like someone tried to copy the Ultimate Spider-Man art style and got it wrong. Real shame.

Edit: Yeah I'm seven pages late, ha. Forgot that Spider-Woman is now Black Widow, what the hell is that all about?

I'm unsure if North American comics are only allowed to be discussed here, but I've been reading a lot of European comics, such as Corto Maltese, Lucky Luke, La Frontera Invisible, le Troisieme Testament, Alex Alice's Siegried, & a lot of the Spirou comics.

I'm also looking forward to the next issue of Archie Comics take on the Classic Mega Man series, especially with the upcoming crossover that is going to be... interesting, at the least.
I am big fan of European comics. Well. I'm European tho. I think it is a shame that you Americans don't have access to incredible great sci-fi comics. Furthermore only two vol. of Blacksad had been released in the US? Isn't the fifth one around the corner?

So I finally got around to reading All-New Ultimates #1. Damn, that art is horrendous. I know I must be late to the party here, but everyone's faces looked so bad it was massively off-putting. It's like someone tried to copy the Ultimate Spider-Man art style and got it wrong. Real shame.

Edit: Yeah I'm seven pages late, ha. Forgot that Spider-Woman is now Black Widow, what the hell is that all about?

ya the faces were iffy. I liked the colors though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
ya the faces were iffy. I liked the colors though.

I think that's partly what made me feel so weird about it though, it's like it's almost there but at the last second veers off into weirdness. There were a few panels with Ganke where he looked completely different in each one and was supposed to have been beaten up but didn't look like anyone had laid a finger on him, plus the previously posted awful Kitty Pryde faces. Really threw me off. My only real exposure to the Ultimate universe has been through Miles though so maybe that's why this isn't hitting the mark for me.

Smaller list this week. Have dropped a few titles recently. Was enjoying the Supergirl run at first but after about 6 issues in a row of tie-ins with the other books I wasn't reading and now another one with the Green/Red Lanterns I'm just not enjoying the title anymore. The character's completely changed and I'm missing too much of the story.

Most Anticipated:
Superior Spider-Man #31
Wonder Woman #30

Also Getting:
Ms. Marvel #3
Amazing X-Men #6
Uncanny X-Men #20
The Unwritten: Apocalypse #4
White Suits #3
X-Men #13

Checking out:
Hulk #1
Ultimate Ff #1 (maybe)

PaulloDEC

Hawkeye
Power Girl from a few years ago (pre Nu52)
Irredeemable + Incorruptible (not too long, but may be longer than you want)

Y The Last Man
Locke and Key

Both are heavy character focused and are probably amongst the best indie books ever.

Try Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Despite the title, you don't need to know anything about Spider-Man. It's about the current Sinister Six (it's more like the Sinister Several, but you get the idea) and their attempts to pull off a huge heist. It's really funny and there's no prior knowledge required to get into it. There's 11 issues out, but 11 is completely skippable (10 too, but it's decent enough). I'd never heard of any of the characters besides Shocker but it's easily one of my favorites now.

Hawkeye and Deadly Class are both good choices as well.

Another vote for Superior Foes of Spidey, also if no one has mentioned Zero yet then that, think the first issue is free too so you can try it out :)

EDIT: also another Hawkeye vote.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I've got Power Girl #1, Zero #1 and Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1 ready to go, and I'm thinking Locke and Key might be next up. For the sake of variety, I'll try to check out at least one issue of all the ones you've suggested.

Messi

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I've got Power Girl #1, Zero #1 and Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1 ready to go, and I'm thinking Locke and Key might be next up. For the sake of variety, I'll try to check out at least one issue of all the ones you've suggested.

Try SAGAs first issue if you haven't. I think it's free on Comixology.

Tizoc

Yo has Ms. Marvel #2 released yet?

@PauuloDEC-
Here's a quick rundown of my suggested list of stand alone or kickass awesome comic book runs/series

Mark Waid's Daredevil (new series is going ATM, but start with the previous run from a few years back)
All-Star Superman
Grant Morrison's Batman run (starting with Batmand and Son)
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Rat Queens (WHEN'S THE NEXT ISSUE OUT?!!?)
Rex Mundi if you like mystery series
Nextwave: Agents of Hate

That's it off the top of my head atm.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Ultimate Spider-Man 45

Shit just got got heavy. Or
Aunt May goes to the therapist.
That was a great issue.

Keep posting impressions! Having reread USM multiple times, my only way of gaining further enjoyment from it is from experiencing it via other people (does that sound creepy?)

So Runaways #1-6 is on sale on comixology for like $2 (which is about the price digital comics should be) and I'm considering getting it, but holy shit the cover art faces are like the worst. They are so bad. It's like they are deformed. Is that the same art as the interior?

Edit: The pink shirt girl and blue shirt guy in particular.

Edit 2: Is this like American anime style?

Hellers

So Runaways #1-6 is on sale on comixology for like $2 (which is about the price digital comics should be) and I'm considering getting it, but holy shit the cover art faces are like the worst. They are so bad. It's like they are deformed. Is that the same art as the interior?

Edit: The pink shirt girl and blue shirt guy in particular.

Edit 2: Is this like American anime style?

Runaways is amazeballs but for some reason I can't remember what the art was like.

Just for extra conversation and I keep saying this to people but we need more Nextwave,

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
OK, cool. Thanks. Gonna give this first trade a go then. $2 really is a sweet spot. I'll even buy your digital trades for that, Marvel.

I think the artist on the first two volumes was the same artist who's now doing the Ms Marvel series. That cover is not indicative of the actual interiors.

Pretty cool first issue. But I have to ask... how old is Molly, really? Because she doesn't look like the eleven they claim she is. She looks more like an adult short person.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just for extra conversation and I keep saying this to people but we need more Nextwave,

The Nextwave Civil War tie-in was my favorite. And by tie-in, I mean it was a single cover.

BATMAN ETERNAL Co-writer Talks Issue #1's Clues, Teases Next Issue
http://www.newsarama.com/20825-batman-eternal-co-writer-talks-issue-1-s-clues-teases-next-issue.html

Newsarama: James, we've seen a lot of flashes forward with the Bat-books lately, but it seemed to me that the goal of the first issue of Batman Eternal was to show the very beginning of the story, and the very end. Is that an accurate perception?
James Tynion IV: Absolutely, absolutely. We always had this inciting incident — where this story began — but we wanted to show the scale [of Batman Eternal]. It's a little moment. As big as the little moment is, the story begins with the shot fired in the subway system, but it ends with Gotham burning, and Batman strapped to the shattered Bat-Signal on top of this new building that we're putting together over the course of the series.

----------

Can someone tell me what's happened to DCnU Batman? First the Riddler owned him and pushed Gotham in the dark ages and now again he lets the city burn, not to mention the numerous deaths he has failed to stop (Talia, Damian, Jason, Also that piano girl whose name I'm forgetting,
Two-Face
). He lets his brother and the Joker fall down and escape presumably, fails to stop the crime syndicate incursion in Forever Evil.... it's starting to get ridiculous.

Towards the end of DCU, he had become almost like a human at his top-form peak and now it's like Scott Snyder is trolling us and Batman has become a nerfed puffle-man. It's even more annoying because he's my favourite character.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is the image I was referring too. The front two faces are just weirding me out. I think the girl in pink might wanna see a doctor about that tumor in her face.

Alex needs to come back. There aren't enough evil black dudes in comics.

monome

Can someone tell me what's happened to DCnU Batman? First the Riddler owned him and pushed Gotham in the dark ages and now again he lets the city burn, not to mention the numerous deaths he has failed to stop (Talia, Damian, Jason, Also that piano girl whose name I'm forgetting,
Two-Face
). He lets his brother and the Joker fall down and escape presumably, fails to stop the crime syndicate incursion in Forever Evil.... it's starting to get ridiculous.

Snyder's Batmanverse is Batman & Gotham.

Makes for a lot of Gotham on its knees stories. BUT his writting is good.
Probably easier to burn Gotham twice/year rather than get editorial approve different/new characters' approaches...
Eternal is Snyder's chance at building the Batverse rather the Batmanverse so he got the "Gotham on its knees" part out early to focus on the characters.

tim1138

So has anyone read anything by Alejandro Jodorowsky? I've requested the Metabarons and Incal through the library based on some tweets by Chris Burnham.

Snyder's Batmanverse is Batman & Gotham.

Makes for a lot of Gotham on its knees stories. BUT his writting is good.
Probably easier to burn Gotham twice/year rather than get editorial approve different/new characters' approaches...
Eternal is Snyder's chance at building the Batverse rather the Batmanverse so he got the "Gotham on its knees" part out early to focus on the characters.
Well... when you say it like that I've got to give it a try. Honestly, you've sold me on Eternal better than these hyperbole interviews I've been reading.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does anybody of you guys know, how many Issues per month we get of the new Amazing Spider-Man Volume? I heard something, that it will be one Issue per month, which would be very bad, because the Tradepaperbacks would be released very late...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom