• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo Rue Britannia should probably be read before Singles Club. you don't HAVE to, but it's better if you want more of an understanding on how the magic and such works in that world. I read Singles Club first, but i can see how that's the more confusing route
That article was ridiculous. It basically boiled down to "boobs". As though it's the first comic to draw cleavage. It tries to find other things wrong but spent most of its faux outrage on several paragraphs about breasts and could barely muster arguments about anything else.
ya it happens all the time so that means it shouldn't be talked about ever. "faux outrage" c'mon man. that's so dismissive. Generally, people do not try to get upset!

anyway what i'm saying is that Brett Booth is garbage and Kenneth Rocafort is good at some things and not so good at others

ya it happens all the time so that means it shouldn't be talked about ever. "faux outrage" c'mon man. that's so dismissive. Generally, people do not try to get upset!

anyway what i'm saying is that Brett Booth is garbage and Kenneth Rocafort is good at some things and not so good at others

I'm just saying, If she is going to go after unrealistic anatomy, then she should be tackling She-Hulk, for its faces.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I find it weird that Brubaker barely gets mentioned when people recommend the Immortal Iron Fist. Fraction/Aja get all of the love.

I'm just saying, If she is going to go after unrealistic anatomy, then she should be tackling She-Hulk, for its faces.
But it wasn't even about simply unrealistic anatomy. Unrealistic anatomy isn't even all bad. It's about how they use it to go out of their way to make some oversexualized shit. Hell, she mentions that people that look like WG on that cover exist, but they wouldn't have a costume like that because that's ridiculously impractical. personally, i can give impracticality a pass if it looks cool, but i've always hated the new 52 WG costume. it sucks.

But I just wanted another excuse to slam Brett Booth, and whining that criticism should always be positive and encouraging is as good of a reason as any

Messi

Alright, I'm going to rummage through my physical Marvel comics later today and see what digital codes I have available (I never claimed any of them). Anyone interested in free codes? I can't be bothered trying to sell them individually so it's just easier to give them away, haha. Some of the ones I know I do have are Daredevil, Wolverine & the X-Men, Moon Knight #1, All-New Ghost Rider #1-2, Punisher #1-4, Black Widow #1-5, Battle of the Atom (across multiple series, of course), Infinity (this 6-part series came with digital codes, right?), err...some other ones that I can't think of now.

I'd take infinity or Battle of the atom if no one else wants them?

I don't actually know if Infinity came with codes but i'd assume it did.

MG310

Went to Asbury Park Comic Con today for a couple of hours, think I made a decent haul..

DSCN3550.jpg

DSCN3556.jpg

The print is from Cliff Chiang

Birds of Prey books were out of a 3 for 20 bin - got them along with the DD Love & War trade and Hulk 100 Project. Batwoman and Get Jiro were 5 each. Got Batwoman signed by JH Williams.

Random 70's/80's DD issues were 3 dollars a piece and are in suprrisingly good condition. Pretty much just picked randomly from the covers I liked. My standards for condition are pretty much "Is the whole book here and not taped together or drawn on" so I've been able to get a decent amount of pretty early ones on the cheap. Skottie Young baby and Chris Samnee animal DD 1 variants were 5 a piece.

Comics GAF's Great Satan Ann Nocenti was present at the show as well. :D

Messi

Went to Asbury Park Comic Con today for a couple of hours, think I made a decent haul..

The print is from Cliff Chiang

Birds of Prey books were out of a 3 for 20 bin - got them along with the DD Love & War trade and Hulk 100 Project. Batwoman and Get Jiro were 5 each. Got Batwoman signed by JH Williams.

Random 70's/80's DD issues were 3 dollars a piece and are in suprrisingly good condition. Pretty much just picked randomly from the covers I liked. My standards for condition are pretty much "Is the whole book here and not taped together or drawn on" so I've been able to get a decent amount of pretty early ones on the cheap. Skottie Young baby and Chris Samnee animal DD 1 variants were 5 a piece.

Comics GAF's Great Satan Ann Nocenti was present at the show as well. :D

Nice Haul. Nice of JH Williams to sign Batwoman.

EDIT: Yeah, I am going to go back to not posting about her. My vitriol is helping nobody.

MG310

Seeing some of those Batwoman pages in person made me want to lash myself to the drawing table.

Also
Nocenti helped create Typhoid Mary, she's not all bad :)

Na na na na na na nana Bat-list!

My BuyList via Comics Day App

AMERICAN VAMPIRE SECOND CYCLE #2 (MR) $2.99
BATMAN #30 (ZERO YEAR) $3.99
BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN #30 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #2 $2.99
HARLEY QUINN #5 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE #29 (EVIL) $3.99
A VOICE IN THE DARK #6 (MR) $3.99
HULK #1 ANMN $3.99
MS MARVEL #3 ANMN $2.99
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #31 ANMN $5.99

oh shit it is LIST time

The Auteur #2 aka the only important comic coming out this week

I might pick up Ultimate FF if y'all say it's good

A non-DC fan's mostly DC list

American Vampire Second Cycle #2
Batman Eternal #2
Batwoman #30
Harley Quinn #5
Supergirl #30
Unwritten Apocalypse #4
Wonder Woman #30
Morning Glories #38
Ms. Marvel #3
Uncanny X-Men #20
Wolverine and the X-Men #3

MartyStu

Ultimate Spider-Man

This is Bendis? Y'all sure? Because this is good. Damn good.

The dialog CAN be very spotty at times, but I feel like that is a bit too nitpicky.

I felt like issue #1 was off to a pretty weak start. Something happens to Gordon and it occurs under the flimsiest of pretenses.

Define flimsy? Because... It's pretty clear what the implication is. It looks like Gordon
fired his gun at an unarmed man that damaged electronics that caused a crash that potentially hurt/killed hundreds.

Yeah, that was a bit better, but I dunno I still find it really weird how Batman has got himself a new Robin while Damien's corpse is still cooling.
I say it's about damn time. B&R main plot point had been on Damian mode for almost a year now and the requiem issues were more than enough for me. Thankfully the two-face arc in B&R was a nice reprieve.

Tizoc

The dialg in Iron Fist #1 just felt horrible to me.
Ghost Rider #2's dialog was lulzy, but I liked it.

Invincible #110 though...wtf Eve.

Messi

Harley list :

Harley Quinn #5
Batman #30
Batman and Wonder Woman #30 (best pairing, fuck clark)
Batman Eternal #2
Batwoman #30
Wonder Woman #30
American Vampire #2
Amazing X-Men #6
Ms Marvel #3
Superior Spider-Man #31
Thor God of Thunder #21
Wolverine and the x-men #3
X-Men #13
Uncanny X-Men #20

Harley list :

Batman and Wonder Woman #30 (best pairing, fuck clark)

There was a rumor that Batman Beyond Universe was going to reveal that Bruce and Diana had a child together. Don't know if that is still a thing but last issue revealed the return of Wonder Woman (though Clark is claiming it's Justice Lord Wonder Woman).

Hmm. The Batman Beyond Universe #11 solicit...

“Justice Lords Beyond” continues as the shocking truth behind Wonder Woman’s return is finally revealed!

Messi

Whats going on with Catwoman lately? I stopped following at 20.

Who the fuck knows... Seriously.

The short version is that SSelina was feuding with the penguin over his mother's stolen gems which led to penguin dropping bombs on the Gotham projects sinking parts of the projects.. One of Selinas gang banging friends gets blown into the hole leading to Selina having to chase him under ground. Somehow she gets into a fight with some underground gangs one of them being Dr phosphorus and his flaming daughter. There's also a syringe that could kill everyone or some shit. This also there are horses on winding staircases wearing gas masks.

They run into Jokers Daughter because why not. She is queen of the Underworld. They fight some eventually Selina trades her a cat for Dr phosphoruses daughter.

Eventually she blows up the underground and the gangs.

Then there were the Gothopia issues which were boring drug fueled nonsense. And most recently
Catwoman went to a high society party to steal a vial/drug for someone. Shenanigans happens and she fights a big monster that gets injected with the drug. Eventually it turns out the client she was stealing the stuff for was Batman and he used her as a distraction to get something else.
that wasn't written by Nocenti and it was coherent and somewhat enjoyable.

Sorry this is all so scatter brain I was trying to replicate the storytelling style of Anne Nocenti.

Messi

Catwoman deserves better. She's a great character when used well.

Absolutely. The Zero Year issue by John Layman is a perfect example of someone who knows how to write a Catwoman book and is not just making up shit as he goes along. Nocenti's issue 0 is a slap in the face to all Catwoman fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom