• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

Maybe I'm crazy but I can't get myself worked up about the cover at all
Agreed. It's not far outside of the norm and hardly makes the artist some misogynistic monster. Not a great cover, but silly to attack the artist because of it. If I were Brett I'd be annoyed by the article as well.

This new book is something that I’ve been working on for quite awhile. It’s nine issues that are 40 pages each. The first one and the last one comprise an 80-page, giant DC super-spectacular story. There are seven comics, each of which come from a different parallel universe, all with a different storytelling approach and artistic look from Cameron Stewart, Frank Quitely, Ivan Reis, Chris Sprouse, etc. Each one is drawn by a different artist, but each of them combine. DC Comics has always had this idea of the multi-verse, where there are multiple parallel universes that all occupy the same space, but vibrate at different frequencies. It’s that idea of comic book universes as music. That’s what the vibration is. And when you hear them all vibrating together, it makes the most beautiful music you’ve ever heard, and you can choose what you want that music to be. So, we’re exploring that concept with this book.

They established that, in each of the worlds of the DC multi-verse, they read comic books about the other worlds. In one world, a fictional character can be a real person. So, we chose to make that the basis of this story. Basically, each of the worlds can read the comic book that we just read, the month before, and they’re all facing a gigantic cosmic threat, which is the most terrifying thing that anybody’s ever read in a comic. I don’t do hyperbole, so this is the one. Each of the worlds all connect, and they pass on a message to the next world, that something terrible is happening and something is bringing down the structure of the multi-verse.

The first of the seven books is a kind of Justice League of the multi-verse and how they come together. It features the black Superman that we had in Action Comics #9, Calvin Ellis. He’s the main character in that one. The second one is a pulp universe that’s the 1940′s characters that fit the pulp archetype. It’s set in a world where there’s only two billion people. It’s 2013, but they just had a major world war, and out of that comes a particular set of circumstances. The next one is set on Earth 11. There was this concept of the super-sons, where Superman and Batman had a couple of sons that were real mean bastards when they grew up. They just weren’t happy about the legacy their fathers had left them. So, the next one is about this world of the children of superheroes and what happens after you’ve turned the world into utopia, so there’s nothing for you to do, but you can punch out mountains. We chose to do it in the style of The Hills, with these really super bland conversations. We wanted something as shallow, flat and on the surface, but with superheroes and the kind of conversations that superheroes would have. You’ll see a lot of the ‘90s characters who have been consigned to the dust bins. They’ve got nothing to do, so they perform battle re-enactments. That’s another book, which I can’t really describe the ambiance of.

Then, we took the storytelling devices of Watchmen and applied them to the Charlton characters that Watchmen was originally inspired by. Instead of Watchmen’s nine-panel grid, we have an eight-panel grid that reflects the musical harmonics that underpin the whole series. It’s based on the number eight, which becomes really important through everything. In 40 pages, we’ve done this thing that is probably the best thing we’ve ever done in superhero comics. After that is a great take on the Captain Marvel stuff, and it’s done as an all-ages book. It has a completely different tone, and it’s a really neat little story that’s self-contained.

After that are the Nazi superheroes that’s set on what used to be Earth X, but it’s not Earth 10. The idea behind it is that the Nazis won World War II and took over the world. It’s like, what if the classic DC world has been played with and Hitler got ahold of the super-baby, and the world emerges from that. We didn’t want to do something dull. This one was meant to feel like a big Shakespeare-style HBO series. Imagine if you were Superman and for the first 25 years of your life you were working for Hitler, and then you go, “Oh, my god, it’s Hitler! Shit, now I get it! Now I see who the baddie is!” And he cleans up and creates a utopia, but that utopia is based on the Nazi principles that he was indoctrinated with. Everything is wrong, overblown and ready for destruction in this culture, and Superman knows it. He knows that his entire society, even though it looks like utopian, has been built on the bones of the dead and ultimately is wrong and must be destroyed. To that comes the Freedom Fighter characters led by Uncle Sam, who is the last remnant of the America that was conquered in 1956. He’s gathered all the people that Hitler killed. We’ve recast all the Freedom Fighter characters as Hitler’s enemies. It’s all the people who Hitler persecuted, and it’s the return of the oppressed. It’s a big Game of Thrones, hardcore story about what happens when your entire society is under threat from terrorists who actually embody the good. Worse than that, your leader, Superman, knows that they’re right and that it’s time for this society to die.

Following that, the seventh issue of the book is called Ultra Comics. It’s the one that’s set in this world, where we actually use this technology that will blow your mind. You’ve never had this experience before with a comic book. That’s all that I’m going to say. It’s something you have never seen before, and it’s an actual superhero that we’re going to make, in front of you. In the midst of all of that, there’s a guidebook where we’re going to show you how the multi-verse works, and it will have a narrative element through it as well. And then, it ends with a bookend that completes the story that we started off in #1, and it unites all the strands of the narrative together. This is my magnum opus. This is why I love comics.

iGbVuKMsSgqrW.gif

ReAxion

Agreed. It's not far outside of the norm and hardly makes the artist some misogynistic monster. Not a great cover, but silly to attack the artist because of it. If I were Brett I'd be annoyed by the article as well.

Maybe the norm is the problem. Brett has no dog in the fight and is unironically arguing that getting exclusives means you have to say something positive, aside from the sexist shit. Bullshit.

Maybe the norm is the problem. Brett has no dog in the fight and is unironically arguing that getting exclusives means you have to say something positive, aside from the sexist shit. Bullshit.

Amen to that. Booth just comes off like your typical "alpha" (lofl) male comic pro.

oh tight, multiversity
EXACTLY that's part of the problem

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh shit. Definitely going to have to make sure I get copies of Multiversity when it finally comes, that shit is going to be SO REAL.

ElNarez

Banned

It might sound freaky, but, the fact that we allowed this to become the norm kinda makes us misogynistic monsters. Like, as a fucking market, comics are fucking fucked up.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Disclaimer because I have a business dealings with them (IDW and my board game company have formed a partnwrship).

However. V-wars is totally worth a look. I haven't read the comic yet, but the collected short stories novel from last year was fantastic. If the ton of the comic is half as good as that we could wind up with a super nice horror/political thriller mix.

It's a very cool premise at least.

Disclaimer because I have a business dealings with them (IDW and my board game company have formed a partnwrship).

That sounds great, what is the name of your company?

As for what StoOgE is talking about, here are some links:
http://idwpublishing.com/v-wars/
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51459

V-Wars #0 is also going be offered in FCBD 2014.
Jonathan Maberry (w) • Alan Robinson (a) • Kevin Eastman (c)

New York Times bestselling horror author Jonathan Maberry presents the chronicle of the first Vampire War in V-Wars! This all-new tale leading into this summer's ongoing V-Wars series offers the first salvo in the battle between humans and hundreds of new species of vampires!

Btw that Kevin Eastman on the cover is the dude who co-created Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Peter Laird!

Messi

The hell is a Multiversity?

Also I finished the main story in American Vampire vol 3. That shit is hype. Snyder is a king among men and Rafael Albuquerque deserves more and more love. Non vampire Pearl is a cutie.

ElNarez

Banned

Multiversity is basically the endgame of everything Morrison has ever done for DC starting with Seven Soldiers of Victory and seeping through both Final Crisis and his Batman run. It's basically his grand statement on the DC Multiverse and the history of comics, featuring his take on everything including the old Fawcett comics and Watchmen.

It's basically the most important comic event ever.

Also I finished the main story in American Vampire vol 3. That shit is hype. Snyder is a king among men and Rafael Albuquerque deserves more and more love. Non vampire Pearl is a cutie.

No one knows but one thing is sure it will be the best thing we all read this year.

I started up Ms. Marvel, the art was super great but I feel like i know where the story is gonna go. I don't know if it's gonna be as predictable as it seems but the first issue was really standard teen hero stuff

I happen to like teen hero stuff though so i'm in for more
I am just all about agreeing with you today.
i just have all these Great Opinions

Following that, the seventh issue of the book is called Ultra Comics. It’s the one that’s set in this world, where we actually use this technology that will blow your mind. You’ve never had this experience before with a comic book. That’s all that I’m going to say

BLOW YOUR MIND. Messi

Happy that it's finally coming out but I wish you guys would temper your enthusiasm even just a little for Multiversity. You're gonna build it into this impossible thing that no reality can measure up to for the majority, like the buildup to Morrison's Action Comics.

Happy that it's finally coming out but I wish you guys would temper your enthusiasm even just a little for Multiversity. You're gonna build it into this impossible thing that no reality can measure up to for the majority, like the buildup to Morrison's Action Comics.

It's Morrison! I already know I'm not going to have a fucking clue what's going on.

Holy Crap Multiversity!1!?
The sacrifice it took was me closing my damn pull box! Your welcome guys!
I wish it would have got All Star Wonder Woman and Earth One Wonder Woman pushed out too.

Fuck DC if they bring Damien back a year later

Nah, he might be my kids favorite character. Every time we go he asks if he's got a book out.. :/

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I see no reason to not let out a huge 'fuck yeah'. Morrison is my favorite writer and it makes me happy to see people so enthusiastic and excited. Also, just look at that artist list. Let passionate people be passionate.

Excited for Multiversity but have no idea what to expect from it.

Also if Grayson turns out to be true I hope DC puts a competent team on it, no offense to past writer/artist, but it's not the characters fault he's been in mediocrity hell.

tim1138

C'mon Spike don't be a spoilsport and let us bask in this. It's not like it won't be the best thing released this year, if anyone can live up to the hype it's Morrison.

Boogiepop

Well, read through AvX via the library last night. Maybe it's because I went in with very tempered expectations, but I didn't hate it too bad. Well, at least the second half once the Phoenix Force was distributed, since that at least forces the motivations to feel a little less awkward (though the first half is pure dreck). It was dumb, but I at least didn't feel like throwing the book away in disgust, and had at least a few fun/interesting moments even if there were a ton of dumb ones too (I like the Avengers using K'un Lun to hide out at least).

Also, I've been meaning to ask this for a while: how the hell did Red Hulk become an Avenger? I've only read part of the initial bit where he was running around punching out pretty much the entire marvel universe, so seeing him on the Avengers is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom