• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I can already tell that this will make for a splendid Absolute edition.

And speaking of giant oversized hardcovers, I just read a bunch of issues of Fear Agent volume 2. It really just keeps getting better and better. What started out as simply a really cool, fun, entertaining comic has become an absolute thriller and emotional rollercoaster.
After what just happened (
What seems to be all of the human race being wiped out, excluding Heath, and everything Heath cared about being destroyed
) just 4 issues from the end of the story, I have no idea how Remender is gonna end this one. Well, I have my theories, but I'm very excited to see what happens.

C'mon Spike don't be a spoilsport and let us bask in this. It's not like it won't be the best thing released this year, if anyone can live up to the hype it's Morrison.

I see no reason to not let out a huge 'fuck yeah'. Morrison is my favorite writer and it makes me happy to see people so enthusiastic and excited. Also, just look at that artist list. Let passionate people be passionate.
Ya'll gonna get a buncha people unprepared for Morrison weirdness reading this expecting the Citizen Kane of comics, and it's gonna be Morrison weirdness, and they're gonna scratch their heads at all the weirdness and wonder what's so special about Morrison weirdness, and I won't be party to that. I won't!

Messi, lots of people read awful comics and can't help themselves, not just you.

ElNarez

Banned
Ya'll gonna get a buncha people unprepared for Morrison weirdness reading this expecting the Citizen Kane of comics, and it's gonna be Morrison weirdness, and they're gonna scratch their heads at all the weirdness and wonder what's so special about Morrison weirdness, and I won't be party to that. I won't!

Messi, lots of people read awful comics and can't help themselves, not just you.

If you don't like Morrison weirdness GET OUT. It's gonna be PEAK Morrison weirdness.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I can already tell that this will make for a splendid Absolute edition.

And speaking of giant oversized hardcovers, I just read a bunch of issues of Fear Agent volume 2. It really just keeps getting better and better. What started out as simply a really cool, fun, entertaining comic has become an absolute thriller and emotional rollercoaster.
After what just happened (
What seems to be all of the human race being wiped out, excluding Heath, and everything Heath cared about being destroyed
) just 4 issues from the end of the story, I have no idea how Remender is gonna end this one. Well, I have my theories, but I'm very excited to see what happens.
The last issue is handled so well. You may know what's going to happen, but the execution is classy and flawless.

Kipp

The last issue is handled so well. You may know what's going to happen, but the execution is classy and flawless.

Awesome. I'm really looking forward to it. I would finish it today, but I've already read 5 or 6 issues today and I want to make it last a little more. Haha. Plus, I hate that feeling where you're nearing the end of a book (comic book or normal book - or even video games or TV shows for that matter) and you're just an issue/chapter/episode away from the end, but at that point you're kind of done reading/watching for the day, but you're so close so you do it anyways, but you're just reading/watching it to finish it and you end up feeling like you kinda messed up.

Also, I can already tell I'm gonna love doing a re-read.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Morrison wierd ness is such a lazy arguement. Everything the guy writes has a purpose.
I like you. I was already sighing at the weirdness comments, but glad somebody else hopped on that awful point of discussion.

I don't get Morrison weirdness but I do understand enthusiasm so hey more power to that.

I'm pretty sure that how much one understands Morrison is directly linked to how much LSD you've done in your lifetime. If you've done just as much as he has, then all of his writing will make perfect sense.

I don't think Morrison can relate to normal humans anymore.

ElNarez

Banned
okay now I'm legit in tears holy fuck Brett Booth is a dipshit

e:
I like you. I was already sighing at the weirdness comments, but glad somebody else hopped on that awful point of discussion.

To me, "weirdness" is just handy shorthand to describe Morrison's style when talking to nerds. Like, obviously it's not quite that, it's more, recontextualizing our fiction through the prism of human experience and exploring how we relate one to the other, but "weirdness" is much simpler to say.

Kipp

Morrison wierd ness is such a lazy arguement. Everything the guy writes has a purpose.

Even though I love Morrison, I still had that slight resentment of Morrison's weirdness... until I read the annotated script for Arkham Asylum. Only then did I fully grasp how deep Morrison's writing really is. I mean, I knew it was deep, but I didn't know it was THAT deep. All the symbolism and references subtly hinted at... it's pretty incredible how much thought he puts into his comics.

With that said, I'm still a little intimidated about the thought of reading The Invisibles.

diaspora

Spider-Man's man-purse joke.

v9n6C3K.jpg

To me, "weirdness" is just handy shorthand to describe Morrison's style when talking to nerds. Like, obviously it's not quite that, it's more, recontextualizing our fiction through the prism of human experience and exploring how we relate one to the other, but "weirdness" is much simpler to say.

Or it's just weirdness. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

PsychBat!

Banned
Also, I've been meaning to ask this for a while: how the hell did Red Hulk become an Avenger? I've only read part of the initial bit where he was running around punching out pretty much the entire marvel universe, so seeing him on the Avengers is weird.

I think Loeb "convinced" Bendis to put him on the team back in this issue. A damn street level punk gets a hold of one of the most powerful artifacts in the universe? Bendis was lazy with the entire set up of the story that I just groaned in the end. After the whole thing was over, Cap offered Red Hulk a spot on the main Avengers team because of his efforts to stop The Hood. It was really poor.

Filthy Slug

I'm pretty sure that how much one understands Morrison is directly linked to how much LSD you've done in your lifetime. If you've done just as much as he has, then all of his writing will make perfect sense.

I don't think Morrison can relate to normal humans anymore.

Freeze, plz.

Sure, I get that--it's just when it's used the way it often is with Morrison, it's akin to an 8 year old poking a piece of sashimi for the first time and saying "eww, that's weird." It more comes off as people not wanting to use their higher functions and invest time and effort and passion into the literature they take in.

Even though I love Morrison, I still had that slight resentment of Morrison's weirdness... until I read the annotated script for Arkham Asylum. Only then did I fully grasp how deep Morrison's writing really is. I mean, I knew it was deep, but I didn't know it was THAT deep. All the symbolism and references subtly hinted at... it's pretty incredible how much thought he puts into his comics.

With that said, I'm still a little intimidated about the thought of reading The Invisibles.
The Invisibles is very intimidating from the get because it's front-loaded with the most out-there arc, Arcadia. BUT, you seem like you like to dig around author's notes and actually put the pieces together, so that should benefit you. Just know that The Invisibles is where Grant Morrison put all of his ideas, all of his experiences, all of his unfiltered raw essence for a decade or so, so just go along, get lost, find your way, explore. Also, if you can get a hand on the original letters columns, do it. They're incredible insight into the man, and often hilarious, and sometimes Mark Millar and him have bro-love sessions back when they used to be True Detective-tight.

Also, he draws many, if not all, of his written comics, paneling them out, and all that stuff while writing. Think about that shit.

Kipp

The Invisibles is very intimidating from the get because it's front-loaded with the most out-there arc, Arcadia. BUT, you seem like you like to dig around author's notes and actually put the pieces together, so that should benefit you. Just know that The Invisibles is where Grant Morrison put all of his ideas, all of his experiences, all of his unfiltered raw essence for a decade or so, so just go along, get lost, find your way, explore. Also, if you can get a hand on the original letters columns, do it. They're incredible insight into the man, and often hilarious, and sometimes Mark Millar and him have bro-love sessions back when they used to be True Detective-tight.

Also, he draws many, if not all, of his written comics, paneling them out, and all that stuff while writing. Think about that shit.

Ah nice. That sounds very cool. It's definitely something I plan to read, I just need to actually do it sometime.
Also, did I read somewhere that the letters columns are in the omnibus? Or am I misremembering, in which case I probably read that the letters columns aren't in the omnibus but ought to be.
The "damaged" (misaligned dustjacket) copy of the omnibus is no longer in stock on IST, which is a shame. I hope more show up in stock sometime. $70 was a pretty great price for 60ish issues.

tim1138

Freeze, plz.

Sure, I get that--it's just when it's used the way it often is with Morrison, it's akin to an 8 year old poking a piece of sashimi for the first time and saying "eww, that's weird." It more comes off as people not wanting to use their higher functions and invest time and effort and passion into the literature they take in.

Thank you, I get so tired of seeing "weird" and "druggy" to describe Morrison. Everything he does is deliberate and thought out, it's cerebral and requires more than just basic looking at the pictures and readinga few words balloons. While his stuff is often a celebration of the medium he expects his readers to contemplate what he's writing and really engross themselves in it. So while it may not be what to were expecting, that doesn't mean to can just hand wave it off as "Oh that Grant Morrison, he's so weird!" Fuck that. Take a few minutes to think about what's on the page in front of you and digest an appreciate it.

Onemic

Besides new xmen, what are Morissons best books? I've never read anything from him.

And what do people mean when they say Morrisson has a weird writing style?

Filthy Slug

Ah nice. That sounds very cool. It's definitely something I plan to read, I just need to actually do it sometime.
Also, did I read somewhere that the letters columns are in the omnibus? Or am I misremembering, in which case I probably read that the letters columns aren't in the omnibus but ought to be.
The "damaged" (misaligned dustjacket) copy of the omnibus is no longer in stock on IST, which is a shame. I hope more show up in stock sometime. $70 was a pretty great price for 60ish issues.

The big, bad, omnibus definitely reprints the infamous "chaos magick jerkoff session for Thanksgiving" but I'm not sure if any other letters are in it. I'll flip through it tomorrow to double check. Your best bet for those letters is seed-y means. They're vital and interesting to the point where I'm shocked that DC hasn't published them in some collected format. Like, The Annotated Invisibles.

tim1138

Besides new xmen, what are Morissons best books? I've never read anything from him.

The Invisibles, Filth, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, We3, Joe the Barbarian, Vinamarama, Sea Guy, his JLA run, his Batman run, Final Crisis, All-Star Superman, take your pick.

So GRAYSON looks kind of terrible
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/04/14/grayson-comic-book-series/7480853/

Batman's former sidekick embarks on a new life as an undercover superspy in the comic book Grayson, an action-adventure series premiering July 2 from DC Comics. It's written by Tim Seeley (Revival) and Tom King, a former CIA counterterrorism operations officer.

After a career of being overshadowed by his cape-and-cowled father figure, this is a chance for Grayson "to take off the mask and step out on his own in a world where he's not simply being another hero like the hero he grew up with," King says.

At the very least, he is getting a wardrobe makeover, courtesy of Grayson artist Mikel Janin: Gone is Grayson's mask, and his new outfit reflects the blue-and-black color scheme of his Nightwing togs and features a "G" on his chest, reminiscent of the old "R" from his Robin days.

Should have got Kot to write it

Holy shit Dick Grayson is finally being drawn like the beautiful man he is supposed to be. Also, Morrison still the most important Bat writer ever. His touch will be felt for years.

Messi

Would you buy it if it was about Harley with the same premise :p? It kind of reminds me of what happened to Bucky after Fear Itself.

That is not a fair comparison. A Harley spy book would be amazing. Imagine the wacky hijinks she could get up to. Also you know my weaknesses, I can't say no to Harley books. I bought those suicide squad death of the family issues...

Tim Seely and Mikel Janin, Nightwing with guns and spy's. I'm in!

Does that mean you have to cut another book? you seem to get all the new books.

That is not a fair comparison. A Harley spy book would be amazing. Imagine the wacky hijinks she could get up to. Also you know my weaknesses, I can't say no to Harley books. I bought those suicide squad death of the family issues...

Does that mean you have to cut another book? you seem to get all the new books.

By the time this comes out, a few mini and limited series will have run their course. I'm good.

Messi

By the time this comes out, a few mini and limited series will have run their course. I'm good.

Starting to think I wont pick up mini series anymore and just pick up the trades if they end up being good. Night of the living deadpool will read much better in trade than it did in floppies. So will Winter Soldier The Bitter March I think. It will help me cut down on the books I buy.

Filthy Slug

Start with Animal Man, Arkham Asylum, We3, and All-Star Superman.

It's really fucking satisfying and fun when you begin to grasp Morrison and everything he's doing in his books and then decide to dive in the rabbit-hole in every direction you wish to. Just don't start with The Filth. Save that for after Invisibles and Flex Mentallo.

Starting to think I wont pick up mini series anymore and just pick up the trades if they end up being good. Night of the living deadpool will read much better in trade than it did in floppies. So will Winter Soldier The Bitter March I think. It will help me cut down on the books I buy.

Good plan. I'm going to adopt something like this also.

ElNarez

Banned
Dick Grayson: Agent of SPYRAL is a bomb-ass pitch, that I do not expect DC to do justice to, which is gonna make me sad. But hey, at least they're going somewhere. They're doing something. Three cheers for things happening.

Filthy Slug

Good plan. I'm going to adopt something like this also.

Woah, woah, what about Doop. Y'all fellas better be picking up All-New Doop.

frye

I dunno -- it feels like isolating Dick even more from the rest of the universe on top of erasing his Titans history + mostly ignoring his time as Batman is kinda wrong-headed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom