• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
Unscheduled Stop is the best, but I also rather liked 24/7 where he decides he's gonna annoy the shit out Mayor Jameson by being Spider-Man all day, and ASM #583 that focuses on him and Betty.

My main problem with Mark Waid, and why I don't want him on an ongoing, is that he tends to overplay the Peter Parker is a Loser bit. Like, Origin of the Species first five pages seem like an exercise in "how much can I embarrass this character", or the recent Daredevil crossover where he has Spider-Man whining about his love life, have no comeback to a thug he tied up, coming off as a creepy stalker pervert to Black Cat, lose a race down a building with Daredevil, look like an idiot talking to illusions that aren't there(but DD can see thanks to radar sense), have his Spidey Sense not work so DD can save him from an earthquake, then grab an open wire and shock himself. All in the span of a single issue.

Unscheduled Stop is in my top ten all-time favorite Spider-Man stories though, so he'll always have that

I knew you were going to bring that up, and you are right lol. It did annoy me how in DD he made Spidey a loser and so ready to find a girlfriend. I would hope he wouldn't do that if he started a run on Spider-Man but there is that possibility. I'm as tired of Peter being a punching bag as many people are. Perhaps someone like Aaron might be a better fit then.

Also, The Bitter March is really good you guys. Great third issue and there was a little Bucky moment where we got to see one of times where his brainwashing "weakened" and he started to remember Cap. This is set before they started using him very rarely out of stasis so it's nice to see Remender remember that. I wonder
what substance Shen injected, I'm assuming it was the Infinity Formula?

Awesome, I was a huge fan of the show when i was younger so I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Yeah I don't think you'll be disappointed. DC has done right by the Batman Beyond property. They're even folding him into the main DC universe with the upcoming "Future's End" weekly comic. So, depending on how far your love goes, you may want to also keep an eye on that.

It has a very devoted if small fanbase. Gail would never phone it in. She loves those kids.

Yeah, I know, I mean it lasted 4 hour issues than Green Team despite having around the same level of sales so I suppose I am thankful for that. I just meant to say that I was surprised that it actually seemed to increase in quality towards the last couple issues when I expected a holding pattern.

Score! For only $32 on Amazon Marketplace.

BldEjx-IIAAWV6c.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
Spider-Man: Family Business just came out, he co-wrote it with James Robinson but it's really good.

"Unscheduled Stop" (that's the one shown above)
"Spider-Man 24/7"
"The Amazing Spider-Man Died In Your Arms Tonight"
Will check these out as soon as $$$$ increases. Heard good things about Family Business.
Unscheduled Stop is the best, but I also rather liked 24/7 where he decides he's gonna annoy the shit out Mayor Jameson by being Spider-Man all day, and ASM #583 that focuses on him and Betty.

My main problem with Mark Waid, and why I don't want him on an ongoing, is that he tends to overplay the Peter Parker is a Loser bit. Like, Origin of the Species first five pages seem like an exercise in "how much can I embarrass this character", or the recent Daredevil crossover where he has Spider-Man whining about his love life, have no comeback to a thug he tied up, coming off as a creepy stalker pervert to Black Cat, lose a race down a building with Daredevil, look like an idiot talking to illusions that aren't there(but DD can see thanks to radar sense), have his Spidey Sense not work so DD can save him from an earthquake, then grab an open wire and shock himself. All in the span of a single issue.

Unscheduled Stop is in my top ten all-time favorite Spider-Man stories though, so he'll always have that
Aw, so he'll make Spider-Man a wuss, basically?

BldEjx-IIAAWV6c.jpg

Vol.1 out of how many?

Will check these out as soon as $$$$ increases. Heard good things about Family Business.

Aw, so he'll make Spider-Man a wuss, basically?

Vol.1 out of how many?

They only have 1 omnibus volume out right now. I can't find any info on release dates if the others. That's like 40 issues there. We just got issue 200? Do the math.

Mumei

BldEjx-IIAAWV6c.jpg

Nice. I need to get this because my library inexplicably has trades 1, 2, 3, and - drum roll, please - 5 of Ultimate Spider-Man.

And I enjoy what I've read of 1 - 3 enough that I'm just going to get it. I don't know why Marvel doesn't seem to have the sense to release a second Omnibus volume to coincide with the release of the new Spider-Man film, though.

Owzers

Does it get exponentially better after the first arc?

first arc: an awkward opening arc with some art by Cassaday that was a bit disappointing. The whole arc felt forced, like it was something Remender had to get out of the way in hindsight.

second arc: more uncanny x-force.

Hagi

Yeah I don't think you'll be disappointed. DC has done right by the Batman Beyond property. They're even folding him into the main DC universe with the upcoming "Future's End" weekly comic. So, depending on how far your love goes, you may want to also keep an eye on that.

I haven't read a DC event since Brightest Day and after reading the solicits for Futures End looks like this might be the one to get me back into the fold. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

Going through some boxes of old comics i found some cool stuff from a few years ago, primarily issue 1 of American Vampire. Had no idea i even bought it, hopefully i can get Snyder to sign it one day.
Also found some issues of R.E.B.E.L.S which took me back. I really loved that book when it was running, has Vril Dox made an appearance in the New 52? He was such a fun character to follow I'd buy a new ongoing in a heartbeat.

Mumei

KoruptData is a terrible influence: I just got home from work and bought a copy of the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus for $38 (with shipping). I'm hoping it's in a perfect condition or I'm going to regret this. :|

tim1138

Just finished the first library edition of Fear Agent, god damn that was good. This is probably my favorite thing by Remender, I am an absolute sucker for pulp sci-fi stuff and this scratches that itch wonderfully. Guess it's time to order volume two.

KoruptData is a terrible influence: I just got home from work and bought a copy of the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus for $38 (with shipping). I'm hoping it's in a perfect condition or I'm going to regret this. :|

Mine was from Jet Pack Comics and they shipped it in perfect condition.

Oh look DC announced another Batman weekly!
Yep. Shit is disappointing. Hey look its Batman and black Superman. I remember when Alan Scott was supposed to be the superman and Hawkgirl the Batman. Tom Taylor is an unimaginative myopic editorial crony. Marguerite Bennet, I have nothing else to say about her. The other two brahs, who the hell are they? The art team? My god the art team. This is an all star cast of fill kn artists for all of DC's C and D titles. They are missing Art Thiebert though. Guess he is too valuable.

We are never getting Shazam this year or another franchise are we? Dan Didio is a piece of shit
Winter Solider you guys!!!!! Holy crap Amazing movie

Falcon was bad ass. Winterr soldier was bad ass!

Brubaker must have had a giant grin on his face when He saw the movie .
Probably not since he isn't getting any residuals.....

tim1138

Yep. Shit is disappointing. Hey look its Batman and black Superman. I remember when Alan Scott was supposed to be the superman and Hawkgirl the Batman. Tom Taylor is an unimaginative myopic editorial crony. Marguerite Bennet, I have nothing else to say about her. The other two brahs, who the hell are they? The art team? My god the art team. This is an all star cast of fill kn artists for all of DC's C and D titles. They are missing Art Thiebert though. Guess he is too valuable.

We are never getting Shazam this year or another franchise are we? Dan Didio is a piece of shit

Probably not since he isn't getting any residuals.....

Yep, I think we're seeing why Robinson walked out on a book he was by all accounts thrilled to be writing. I think it's time to give up the Shazam dream Rafa, Johns said at a con last year if they launched it he would write it, but since the higher ups will only let him write two books at a time... no Shazam.

Ultima_5

Hey guys, I'm tempted to order from in stock trades as their prices seem quite a bit cheaper than Amazon... are they safe/reliable?

Also how long does it typically take to receive my order? amazon's two day shipping has kind of spoiled me....

Yep, I think we're seeing why Robinson walked out on a book he was by all accounts thrilled to be writing. I think it's time to give up the Shazam dream Rafa, Johns said at a con last year if they launched it he would write it, but since the higher ups will only let him write two books at a time... no Shazam.
Brahs just dont want to make any money. I'm just befuddled by the decisions with Earth 2. I remember when Robinson used to talk about their world being more effected by magic and mysticism. Now what we are dealing with.....wow. One of the worst origin stories ever in Earth 2 Batman. I was having Morbius flashbacks reading that annual. Black superman? Evil Superman? Get outa here. I wish Mike Cotton an eternity of editing Joe Kearinge and Kelly Sue DeConnic books.,

Minion101

Banned
Been trying to get into comics lately but keep cheating. Other than Walking Dead (I'm on issue 17) I'll watch the motion comic (Astonishing X-Men, Watchmen) or animated version (All-star superman, The Dark Knight Returns) to get out of reading.

Hey guys, I'm tempted to order from in stock trades as their prices seem quite a bit cheaper than Amazon... are they safe/reliable?

Also how long does it typically take to receive my order? amazon's two day shipping has kind of spoiled me....

Very reliable. Your books will be protected better than Amazon does. You are going to wait longer than 2 days though. If you order a book they don't have instock, they have to order it themselves and wait then ship it to you. Then they ship USPS media mail which is like 3-8 days.

Mumei

Mine was from Jet Pack Comics and they shipped it in perfect condition.

I ordered from Amazing Comics, but the reviews and the retailer description specifically mentioned quality shipping as a priority, so my hopes are up.

It is ~magical~. I asked about this in March and the quality they come in is every bit as good as they said:

Instocktrades has by far the best shipping quality of anybody I've done business with. Unlike random Amazon vendors or eBay, you can tell they give a damn about these books, and they ship them in these great packages with the protective bubbles and shit. Never got a bent corner or ugly sticker you try(and fail) to peel off or earmarked pages or anything.

They ship your package like Baby Kal-El from exploding-ass Krypton. They hug the books, seal them with a tight plastic blanket, and put them atop a foam-pillow (if you're buying superior omnibus editions) before firing them off. Shit is super legit, don't you dare buy from shit-ass Amazon books.

They are amazing

Do it. You'll be amazed at how securely they package everything. I've been using them since '08 and they've never failed me.

Insanely good. Easily the best in the industry, but honestly they may be the best online seller period in terms of shipping quality. I would trust them to ship anything I own.

Ultima_5

Very reliable. Your books will be protected better than Amazon does. You are going to wait longer than 2 days though. If you order a book they don't have instock, they have to order it themselves and wait then ship it to you. Then they ship USPS media mail which is like 3-8 days.

and

I ordered from Amazing Comics, but the reviews and the retailer description specifically mentioned quality shipping as a priority, so my hopes are up.

It is ~magical~. I asked about this in March and the quality they come in is every bit as good as they said:

Awesome! Thank you. I'll go ahead and place my order then.

ALL NEW X-MEN TP VOL 02 HERE TO STAY
DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID HC VOL 01
HELLBOY LIBRARY ED VOL 2 CHAINED COFFIN & RIGHT HAND OF DOOM HC
SHE-HULK BY SLOTT TP VOL 01 COMPLETE COLLECTION
SUPERIOR FOES SPIDER-MAN TP VOL 01 GETTING BAND BA
THOR GOD OF THUNDER TP VOL 01 GOD BUTCHER
UNCANNY X-FORCE BY RICK REMENDER OMNIBUS HC

Stoked.

Damn you comic GAF for dragging me back into this money sink.

I've read good things about pretty much everything on there. Haven't heard much about the she-hulk comics, but i've gone out a few dates with a law school student and she might get a kick out of them plus i like slott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom