• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished the first library edition of Fear Agent, god damn that was good. This is probably my favorite thing by Remender, I am an absolute sucker for pulp sci-fi stuff and this scratches that itch wonderfully. Guess it's time to order volume two.

Since I loved Fear Agent, would I also like the classic pulp sci-fi stuff you think? Fear Agent and Elephantmen made me want to check some of that stuff out, but I have a feeling it'll fall short in comparison; Remender did set the bar kind of high. Any recommendations? For how much people talk about the classic pulp sci-fi stuff, there don't seem to be many collections of it. At least not that I can find.

Some reviews...

I had no idea that Cameron Stewart was the artist on Amazing X-Men #6 until I went back and looked at the credits page; I kept thinking it was Ramon Perez's work but knew something was off. The art had that simplistic, "heavy ink" quality to it that I sometimes find off-putting; I remember his work on Batman being cleaner which is why I didn't recognize. The story was alright but nothing special; a reunion with some nice and not-so nice moments for the resurrected Kurt, that probably could have spent more time on the former and less on the latter. At least, that's how I felt about it; the
impending Mystique/Azazel partnership
was forced, and came at the expense of things I wanted to see happen at the party.

A couple of pages into Hulk #1, I felt like I had missed something. Something like, the end of the previous series maybe? As I kept reading, I found myself lost: how and why was this happening? An explanation for the how comes shortly (though even then I found myself in disbelief), but the why remains a mystery. And then the ending comes, and questions of "how" and "why" give way to a single, resounding "WHAAAAT?!?" and you're either so completely turned off that you immediately write this series off, or you aren't. It generates THAT strong of a reaction. The Bagley artwork, by the way, is Bagley artwork; you know what to expect, and it does the job.

Ms. Marvel #3 was a tie for my favorite comic this week, and is fast becoming a series that I eagerly anticipate reading each month. It's still working its way through the "origin" phase of Kamala's story, as she searches for answers and tests the limits of her new gifts, and while that's nothing new it is the manner in which it is approached that feels fresh and inventive. Kamala is an incredibly endearing and relatable character, and the world in which she moves is full of wonders to look at thanks to the pencils of Adrian Alphona. Enough cannot be said of Alphona's artwork; every page is an utter joy to explore. The ending was a "shock," not in the sense that the outcome is uncertain but that it was unexpected.

That tie that I mentioned? Here's the other half. By the gods was Thor God of Thunder #21 an epic, fun romp on a scale most comics can only dare to dream of! Truly, Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic were meant to be the creative team on Thor. The battle between
King Thor and Galactus at the end of the Earth,
the battle between
Avenger Thor and the Roxxon Corporation,
the unexpected twists and turns, the incredible artwork, the spot-on dialogue, the narration, the humor... I ate up every second of it and wanted more. God of Thunder continues to be worthy.

Do teenagers really still tell "your momma is so" jokes these days? Wolverine and the X-Men #3 was kind of all over the place, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed it more than my other X-book this week. Quentin Quire acted a bit more like the Quentin Quire we've come to know under Aaron's pen, and we learned a bit more about "Faithful John," the Phoenix Corporation, and their agendas although the answers still haven't all clicked into place. Asrar is doing some excellent work on pencils, with some nice layouts that convey a lot of movement and energy. One bit did stick out to me though:
on one page Idie is arguing with Hisako and wearing her school uniform, and on the next page Idie looks exactly like her future self, with the orange sweater and her hair pinned up.
Was that intentional, or did Asrar forget which Idie to draw?

And finally...

Batman and Wonder Woman #30 was... just okay, I guess. The plot was what I expected: Batman needs help from [BLANK] to get from point A to point B, some stuff happens, and then it's on to another point with help from the next plot device costar. At least there was more interaction between Diana and Bruce in this story; last month, Aquaman appeared "because whales were screaming" and that was it. Because they're on Themyscira, Tomasi has the Amazons show up -- and then, he reminds readers that
Amazons have for centuries seduced and murdered sailors for sex to swell their ranks
; though this was done to explain how
Ra's knew about the island
, it was an unfortunate and unnecessary choice to make. It's also not the only one, as Tomasi assumes his readers are unfamiliar with Diana's own series; this results in an awkward scene where Diana explains
her mother the statue, her father Zeus, and the ongoing drama with Hera
to Batman, who being her teammate and friend should probably know all this. On the visual side, Gleason's artwork is a lot rougher than I remember it being; his style is still reminiscent of studio mate Doug Mahnke's, but looser and simplistic with an unevenness that makes me think layouts were rushed to meet a deadline. I could go on, but this wasn't the BMWW team-up I wanted to see, nor was it even the BMWW team-up I'd settle for: It's just the BMWW team-up we got.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Bats 30 felt like a 3 page story stretched across 20. I can't say i care much for this arc. It just feels like a diet version of the jokers. The book overall lost a lot of steam since the court of owls. Capullo's still killing it and its not bad, its just not blowing my mind.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nice. I need to get this because my library inexplicably has trades 1, 2, 3, and - drum roll, please - 5 of Ultimate Spider-Man.

And I enjoy what I've read of 1 - 3 enough that I'm just going to get it. I don't know why Marvel doesn't seem to have the sense to release a second Omnibus volume to coincide with the release of the new Spider-Man film, though.

Actually, Marvel had already released a huge HC with the first three HC volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man... to coincide with the release of Raimi's Spider-Man 2, lol. (for $39.99 MSRP, and much less on the Barnes and Noble clearance rack later)

Do teenagers really still tell "your momma is so" jokes these days? Wolverine and the X-Men #3 was kind of all over the place, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed it more than my other X-book this week. Quentin Quire acted a bit more like the Quentin Quire we've come to know under Aaron's pen, and we learned a bit more about "Faithful John," the Phoenix Corporation, and their agendas although the answers still haven't all clicked into place. Asrar is doing some excellent work on pencils, with some nice layouts that convey a lot of movement and energy. One bit did stick out to me though:
on one page Idie is arguing with Hisako and wearing her school uniform, and on the next page Idie looks exactly like her future self, with the orange sweater and her hair pinned up.
Was that intentional, or did Asrar forget which Idie to draw?
i have firsthand knowledge, and i can confirm that no, no teenager does. not one that wants friends, at least

I'm catching up with Zero Year, and while I haven't read a ton of Batman comics in the past...

Who knew
the Riddler
had the fucking stones to do any of this shit? He always seemed like a joke to me more than most. But this is actually messed up. I love Batman swearing and just generally being kinda sloppy. I hope he continues to swear and call bad guys motherfuckers and shit. I'm softening on Cappullo, but I dunno why he gets so lauded.

I absolutely love the colours though.

So I'm reading the entire Ultimate Marvel universe in release order right now, and it's mostly pretty terrible. The character assassination of Captain America is really hard to watch. Really the only redeeming factor is Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and some runs of X-Men. Ultimates 1 was alright, but Ultimates 2 has just been bad so far, and it's bleeding into other miniseries.

I'm about halfway towards Ultimatum right now, which I hear is a shitstorm in and of itself, so I have that to look forward to

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Since I loved Fear Agent, would I also like the classic pulp sci-fi stuff you think? Fear Agent and Elephantmen made me want to check some of that stuff out, but I have a feeling it'll fall short in comparison; Remender did set the bar kind of high. Any recommendations? For how much people talk about the classic pulp sci-fi stuff, there don't seem to be many collections of it. At least not that I can find.

I'm not familiar with much, but maybe The Ballad of Halo Jones? That was Alan Moore doing pulpy space adventures. I really enjoyed that.

I'd be down for recommendations too.

frye

"pulpy space adventures" is what people usually refer to stuff like Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon/Adam Strange/John Carter as.

monome

Bats 30 felt like a 3 page story stretched across 20. I can't say i care much for this arc. It just feels like a diet version of the jokers. The book overall lost a lot of steam since the court of owls. Capullo's still killing it and its not bad, its just not blowing my mind.

There is an utter and total reliance on Gotham & Batman as a 1 character in all Snyder's stories.

But...I have to admit Snyder does indeed know how to juggle and shuffle stuff within that one template.

I'm still a believer. But, I do hope the 75th anniversary means there will be some sweet surprises. We already have a new Bat ally, the return of a Robin, Madame Cat lined-up for this summer, and none of that is the big twist (yep, I'm optimistic that editorial will greenlit a big twist...).

YES. YES. YES. although it's too much Gotham centric to my tastes, every arc has its aesthetics and I like the Barbie Batman thing that for every arc is suit reflects the state of Gotham/Batman.

Just place an IST order..
- Batman & Robin HC Vol.3
- Chew Vol. 8
- Earth 2 Vol. 2
- JLA Earth 2 (need some Frank Quitely art in my life :))

Its hard sometimes to make a choice of what to buy from my wish list.. guess it depends on the mood.

tim1138

Some of the classic pulp sci-fi characters are Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, John Carter of Mars, and Captain Future (the old Adam Strange comics are very much in the pulp style as well). But you also have characters like Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Black Bat, the Spider, Tarzan, who were prominent from that era and covered different genres.

You should be able to find collections of most of those characters, I know for example there are a number of Buck Rogers collections, same with Doc Savage. DC did Archives collections of the original Adam Strange comics but sadly they're out of print.

Generally I am loathe to recommend any of that stuff though, comics from that era a very much an acquired taste. You'd probably be better off reading more modern pulp inspired stuff. Check out Planetary (because among everything else it does right are homages to pulp characters) or the Rocketeer comics (both the original 80s series and new stuff). While they're not sci-fi, Fatale and Black Beetle are fantastic modern pulp style comics.

Mumei

Actually, Marvel had already released a huge HC with the first three HC volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man... to coincide with the release of Raimi's Spider-Man 2, lol. (for $39.99 MSRP, and much less on the Barnes and Noble clearance rack later)

Link to what you're talking about? I'm talking about wanting a second volume of this, which would be another thousand pages at least.

tim1138

Does anyone know what's in the new tpb edition of Final Crisis? Is it the Absolute edition stuff or did they add more content on top of that?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm catching up with Zero Year, and while I haven't read a ton of Batman comics in the past...

Who knew
the Riddler
had the fucking stones to do any of this shit? He always seemed like a joke to me more than most. But this is actually messed up. I love Batman swearing and just generally being kinda sloppy. I hope he continues to swear and call bad guys motherfuckers and shit. I'm softening on Cappullo, but I dunno why he gets so lauded.

This is the first time I've heard somebody complain about Capullo--what issues do you have with his art?

As far as I'm concerned, dude is the hardest working artist at DC and their best talent. Putting out 30-40 page Scott Snyder comics consistently and just generally being absurd with his art. That Savage City splash page with overgrown Gotham....holy fuckballs. He's the reason I stick with Batman through Snyder's overblown arcs.

Dynamite is prety much all pulp, so check them out brah.

They are killing it with the Gold Key Universe. Turok and Magnus Robot Fighter are both great so far. Check them out brahs.

Wiseblade

Peter Parker's back y'all 31
peter telling a joke and GG realising he was
back great. It's the kind of stuff I read/watch Spider-Man for.

But I can't get behind this revisionist history that Otto and Anna Maria relationship was somehow real. It totally ingores the fact that Ock was living a stolen life the entire time.

tim1138

God Hates Astronauts may have the best cover quote ever:

Jonathan Hickman said:
I don't want to oversell what Ryan has accomplished here, but I gave God Hates Astronauts to a blind man and he regained his sight.

Kipp

Some of the classic pulp sci-fi characters are Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, John Carter of Mars, and Captain Future (the old Adam Strange comics are very much in the pulp style as well). But you also have characters like Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Black Bat, the Spider, Tarzan, who were prominent from that era and covered different genres.

You should be able to find collections of most of those characters, I know for example there are a number of Buck Rogers collections, same with Doc Savage. DC did Archives collections of the original Adam Strange comics but sadly they're out of print.

Generally I am loathe to recommend any of that stuff though, comics from that era a very much an acquired taste. You'd probably be better off reading more modern pulp inspired stuff. Check out Planetary (because among everything else it does right are homages to pulp characters) or the Rocketeer comics (both the original 80s series and new stuff). While they're not sci-fi, Fatale and Black Beetle are fantastic modern pulp style comics.

Thanks a lot for the info! I'll trust your advice and just stick to the modern stuff.

The new Flash Gordon #1 is phenomenally great.

Awesome. I'm happy to hear that. I saw the preview for that a few days back and it looked like exactly what I was looking for. I'll almost definitely pick up the trade for this.

Dynamite is prety much all pulp, so check them out brah.

They are killing it with the Gold Key Universe. Turok and Magnus Robot Fighter are both great so far. Check them out brahs.

Ah, cool. Thanks! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them. Magnus Robot Fighter in particular looks pretty great.

Adam Strange Planet Heist is pretty good (Andy Diggle/Pascal Ferry). It's kind of a stealth Infinite Crisis lead-in but it stands pretty well on it's own.

EDIT- You may have already read it since this is an obvious recommendation but Remender's current series Black Science is very pulpy.

Kipp

Adam Strange Planet Heist is pretty good (Andy Diggle/Pascal Ferry). It's kind of a stealth Infinite Crisis lead-in but it stands pretty well on it's own.

EDIT- You may have already read it since this is an obvious recommendation but Remender's current series Black Science is very pulpy.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for that.

And I haven't read it yet, but I'm definitely planning to read it once it's complete. I'm new-ish to comics (maybe started reading them a year ago?), so there are so many great already-completed stories out there for me to read that I don't like reading much ongoing stuff. Especially something like Black Science which I'd imagine will read much better as a whole. But I'm very much looking forward to reading that when it's finished. Thanks!

This is the first time I've heard somebody complain about Capullo--what issues do you have with his art?

As far as I'm concerned, dude is the hardest working artist at DC and their best talent. Putting out 30-40 page Scott Snyder comics consistently and just generally being absurd with his art. That Savage City splash page with overgrown Gotham....holy fuckballs. He's the reason I stick with Batman through Snyder's overblown arcs.

It's not bad by any means, it just doesn't click with me.

That said, there are some great moments, but just... yeah, I dunno.

Speaking of that splash page. Has a comic book ever attempted to do the whole issue with 1st-person POV? After seeing that, I wondered if something like that could be interesting all the way through.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Yeah same here. He's actually gotten tighter through out the run. I respect an artist who doesn't phone it in. The coloring is great too although it can be flat and too 'neon' for my taste at times.

A couple of pages into Hulk #1, I felt like I had missed something. Something like, the end of the previous series maybe? As I kept reading, I found myself lost: how and why was this happening? An explanation for the how comes shortly (though even then I found myself in disbelief), but the why remains a mystery. And then the ending comes, and questions of "how" and "why" give way to a single, resounding "WHAAAAT?!?" and you're either so completely turned off that you immediately write this series off, or you aren't. It generates THAT strong of a reaction. The Bagley artwork, by the way, is Bagley artwork; you know what to expect, and it does the job.

I'm out.

Waid's Hulk just isn't doing it

Cheska

IST delivery =]

lzJPt0f.jpg

Cheska, what's your backlog like?

I think I'm really good with my backlog.

Ultimate Spiderman omnibus
Fear Agent Library vol 2
Nightwing vol 3
Batman and Robin vol 3 (Morrison)
Batman Inc
Batman Inc nu52

tim1138

Gonna place an IST order for Fear Agent vol 2 soonish. ComicGAF your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to recommend me a trade in the $12-$15 range to go along with it.

This message will self destruct in

Alright, I think I finished my list for tomorrow.
There are quite a bit vendors in the con, so hopefully I can get all of these:
  • Ghost Rider #1-2
  • Ultimates #1
  • Doop #1
  • Iron Fist #1
  • Moon Knight #1
  • Hawkeye #1
...and whatever my girlfriend wants, which will be Adventure Time-related, so that's neat.
I already own GR1 and Moon Knight #1 on digital, but I really want the issues themselves.
Did I miss anything good? Also, where do I get into the DC train? Any good recent issues to start with?

Put in an order at cheapgraphicnovels on Wednesday that just shipped, looking forward to reading these ones. My wallet am cry though.

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL 02 TP
DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL 03 TP
DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL 04
SCARLET SPIDER VOL 03 THE BIG LEAGUES TP
SCARLET SPIDER VOL 04 INTO THE GRAVE TP
SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN VOL 01 GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER TP
SAGA VOL 03 TP
THOR GOD OF THUNDER VOL 03 THE ACCURSED PREMIERE HC
CAPTAIN AMERICA (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 03 LOOSE NUKE PREMIERE HC
UNCANNY AVENGERS VOL 03 RAGNAROK NOW PREMIERE HC
SECRET AVENGERS (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 02 ILIAD TP
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK VOL 02 GODS AND MONSTER PREMIERE HC
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK VOL 03 SMASH TIME PREMIERE HC
SEX CRIMINALS VOL 01 TP
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN VOL 05 SUPERIOR VENOM TP
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP VOL 01 VERSUS TP

Messi

Put in an order at cheapgraphicnovels on Wednesday that just shipped, looking forward to reading these ones. My wallet am cry though.

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL 02 TP
DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL 03 TP
DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL 04
SCARLET SPIDER VOL 03 THE BIG LEAGUES TP
SCARLET SPIDER VOL 04 INTO THE GRAVE TP
SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN VOL 01 GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER TP
SAGA VOL 03 TP
THOR GOD OF THUNDER VOL 03 THE ACCURSED PREMIERE HC
CAPTAIN AMERICA (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 03 LOOSE NUKE PREMIERE HC
UNCANNY AVENGERS VOL 03 RAGNAROK NOW PREMIERE HC
SECRET AVENGERS (MARVEL NOW!) VOL 02 ILIAD TP
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK VOL 02 GODS AND MONSTER PREMIERE HC