• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda new to Marvel. I know my DCGAF's taste. But what is everyone's favorite Marvel ongoings right now? Please keep it to a few (Top 3) so we can see what the most popular ones are.

Mine would be Uncanny Avengers, All-New Ghostrider and Moon Knight.
Daredevil is the best ongoing.
Then I'd say superior foes and Thor

Digging into Last Stand of New Krypton vol. 2. Really digging this connection between the bottled cities and the worlds of the United Planets. Robinson and Gates crafted a really cool story and, as a huge Mon-El fan, seeing new versions of his early adventures is great.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Secret Avengers, Moon Knight, and MS. marvel dominating the game.

Ghost Rider gets the Batman Eternal award for "why am i picking this up?"

I'm kinda new to Marvel. I know my DCGAF's taste. But what is everyone's favorite Marvel ongoings right now? Please keep it to a few (Top 3) so we can see what the most popular ones are.

Deadpool is the underrated champ. Such a well written book.

I'm partial to Ghost Rider as well.

tim1138

Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
All-New X-Men

I have a feeling Silver Surfer will entire this list very quickly.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
All-New X-Men

I have a feeling Silver Surfer will entire this list very quickly.
Yeap, almost put Silver Surfer on my list but its only one issue in. But damn was it great.

PsychBat!

Banned
YES!

DD2014002-int-LR2-1-7ce2f.jpg
DD2014002-int-LR2-2-7a3d4.jpg
DD2014002-int-LR2-3-bf5fc.jpg

CAN'T WAIT!

All-New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man

Moon Knight is great, but I assume it'll be a short Ellis run, like his time on Thunderbolts or Secret Avengers. All-New Ghost Rider still just starting.

Marvel books that you need to pick up are:

Thor
Uncanny Avengers
Black Widow
Daredevil
Magneto
Moon Knight
She-Hulk
Edit - Almost forgot my man Miles. Ultimate Spider-man for great art and Good Bendis

Honorable Mentions:

Loki
Cap
Silver Surfer (not enough issues yet but it has Allred art so it's a buy for me)
Hawkeye (in danger of losing me, started strong but the plot bounces all over the place)
New Avengers (if you want a heavy Hickman title)

Owzers

DCBS order arrived! Time to read some comics people have been talking about. First up, Invincible #110: whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Dunno man, it was pretty messed up- like watching Dr. Light going to town on Sue Dibney.

It was definitely an impactful scene, and I didn't know what to make of it at first. But the fact of the matter is that it was a situation that seemed a bit too conveniently engineered by Kirkman. Not so much in regards to Anissa's methods, but more in the way of
Eve suddenly being a complete cunt when Mark turns up alive
. It's like he threw out all the character development he's put her through over the past few years.

Owzers

Invincible #110:
If Mark didn't want it then he wouldn't have worn a costume that tight? ??? ? On one hand, snu snu, on the other hand, rape. I fully approve of Eve trying to break it with Mark though, the " i'll be right back from this space portal" thing is probably bad for relationships.

Inhuman #1: Not a very good set-up issue. Lash did not set up his kingdom well for the choosing a side thing to work out. The issue felt rushed without being good along the way. I pre-ordered #2 and that issue will decide if i continue, i'm doubtful.

my replacement copy of Secret Avengers #1, issue of the year, was creased at the bottom right of most pages instead of having a tear in the back cover. I am not getting a nice copy of this issue , am i? It might be the only messed up issue in the shipment too.

Nudull

Banned

In terms of what's running right now:

Ms. Marvel
Loki: Agent of Asgard
All-New Ghost Rider

Magneto and Captain Marvel are my personal runner-ups.

Invincible #110:
If Mark didn't want it then he wouldn't have worn a costume that tight? ??? ? On one hand, snu snu, on the other hand, rape. I fully approve of Eve trying to break it with Mark though, the " i'll be right back from this space portal" thing is probably bad for relationships.

You believe that
someone you supposedly love is dead, and it eventually turns out they aren't. Soooo..... you kick them to the curb? That makes no sense to me. And it seems the only reason Kirkman went in that direction was to facilitate Mark's being alone for his "big scene."

Owzers

You believe that
someone you supposedly love is dead, and it eventually turns out they aren't. Soooo..... you kick them to the curb? That makes no sense to me. And it seems the only reason Kirkman went in that direction was to facilitate Mark's being alone for his "big scene."

I dunno, between Mark and his father things are crazy and unpredictably dangerous alllllll the time. It does seem knee jerk and a total Kirkman "changing things up" deal, i'm guessing they'll get back together in 12 issues....maybe. Mark's parents got back together Xo

You believe that

I haven't read the title in question but
I don't think it is unreasonable for a person to not want to have to deal the possibility, and in certain cases, the reality of thinking that a loved one is dead. Consider military families. That threat always being there can be very stressful. Now translate that to a super hero, to whom one might have to deal with it more than once. It can become too much.

I haven't read the title in question but
I don't think it is unreasonable for a person to not want to have to deal the possibility, and in certain cases, the reality of thinking that a loved one is dead. Consider military families. That threat always being there can be very stressful. Now translate that to a super hero, to whom one might have to deal with it more than once. It can become too much.

It did happen too much. Dude was
"dead" on multiple occasions and gone missing for months. This time Eve was begging him to stay and he went anyway, just so she could believe he was dead, grieve, and get over it (AGAIN). The way she acted was reasonable given her situation.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Hawkeye
New Warriors

The only others I follow are Spider-Man and She-Hulk. I might try to keep up with Moon Knight but if I'm gonna keep reading Batman Eternal I think it can wait for now. I plan on getting the Uncanny Avengers trades since I loved Uncanny X-Force, and I need to catch up on Daredevil as well.

ZoddGutts

it's been a while since I read a deadpool comic that I've liked. Is the new series any good?

Fun series. The dead Presidents arc which is the beginning arc is the weakest part of the series but after that arc the series really gets good and fun as hell to read.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Best Marvel books out IMO are:

Superior Spidey
Daredevil
Guardians of the Galaxy
Uncanny Avengers

Surprisingly good so far:

Ghost Rider
Ms. Marvel
Moon Knight

Top 3 marvel

Thor
Daredevil
Uncanny avengers

Too hard to choose . Moon knight , ANXM, ms marvel , silver surfer, new avengers, sexret avengers, iron fist

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That reaction in Invincible is eerily similar to another hero's welcome back this week.

Batman and Wonder Woman #30: Gotta disagree with you here, Spike. Diana's explanation of divinity and it's connection to the amazons was like, two panels? And the information was specific enough and meant for the reader as to be inoffensive.
Batman is asking questions for the uninformed reader that he should already know the answers to, and sounds himself uninformed as a result. Unless Diana kept her mother's fate a secret from the rest of the League -- and even then, we know that Batman surveils his teammates -- Bruce should already know that's not a statue along with the who's, how's and why's that led Hippolyta to her current state. I'm saying that there are ways to write scenes to inform readers, that don't involve making characters seem clueless when they shouldn't be.

Look, here's the original scene (SPOILER WARNING for those who haven't read the issue yet).

And here's that same scene, rewritten by myself (forgive the speech bubble placement; there's only so much I could do).

In my crudely worded version, you get the same information as in Tomasi's version and the end joke of "skeptic versus believer" remains intact; but because Bruce isn't asking basically "who is that?" to start the conversation, he seems more clued in to what's going on with Diana. He's more involved, and it creates a more personal dialogue as a result.

SoilBreak

Banned
First arc is hit & miss, but everything after that is great.

The only Deadpool I've every really read was Night of the Living Deadpool. It was an entertaining mini series.

Fun series. The dead Presidents arc which is the beginning arc is the weakest part of the series but after that arc the series really gets good and fun as hell to read.

Thanks guys. Brought the first 12 issues at the comixology sale yesterday.

Uncanny Avengers - This is like Marvel's event book, that keeps getting better with each issue and we haven't even seen the reveal from the first arc,
Red Onslaught

Moon Knight - I like that this series doesn't have conventional storytelling, also its presentation is classy as hell.

Thor God of Thunder - This last pick wasn't easy because I didn't feel the Accursed arc kept up the momentum God Butcher/Bomb made. But the series is revving up again and I keep looking forward to the next issue.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Peter Parker's back y'all 31
peter telling a joke and GG realising he was
back great. It's the kind of stuff I read/watch Spider-Man for.

But I can't get behind this revisionist history that Otto and Anna Maria relationship was somehow real. It totally ingores the fact that Ock was living a stolen life the entire time.

Stolen body. Chasing the doctorate was Otto's idea, Otto's life. Chasing the doctorate led to Anna Maria, also Otto's life. That was, of course, after kicking Mary Jane to the curb hard. Also very Otto.

Link to what you're talking about? I'm talking about wanting a second volume of this, which would be another thousand pages at least.

This. (although it's supposed to have a dust jacket)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0760761337/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Exactly the same content as Omnibus 1, but published eight years earlier.

Cade

Man, having finished the Jason Aaron Wolverine omnibus, I'm itching for a Volume 2. C'mon, Marvel, I need it.

From the absolutely insane and bizarre asylum story to the future/Deathlok time travel/alternate future story to the crazy Wolverine-wannabe black-ops story, everything in that book is superb.

Batman is asking questions for the uninformed reader that he should already know the answers to, and sounds himself uninformed as a result. Unless Diana kept her mother's fate a secret from the rest of the League -- and even then, we know that Batman surveils his teammates -- Bruce should already know that's not a statue along with the who's, how's and why's that led Hippolyta to her current state. I'm saying that there are ways to write scenes to inform readers, that don't involve making characters seem clueless when they shouldn't be.

Look, here's the original scene (SPOILER WARNING for those who haven't read the issue yet).

And here's that same scene, rewritten by myself (forgive the speech bubble placement; there's only so much I could do).

In my crudely worded version, you get the same information as in Tomasi's version and the end joke of "skeptic versus believer" remains intact; but because Bruce isn't asking basically "who is that?" to start the conversation, he seems more clued in to what's going on with Diana. He's more involved, and it creates a more personal dialogue as a result.
Much better imo.

Nudull

Banned

It does flow a little better with your edit. Kudos. c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom