• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

Catwoman

Bzy9b0P.png

Owzers

Secret Avengers #2: How are Coulson and New Fury best friends forever, wasn't Fury just created a yearish ago? They must have had some good times. I still liked the issue a lot, not as much as the first which had more going on, but there was enough. Definitely continuing 7.9/10.

Moon Knight #2: So these are the white pages you guys are talking about. I liked the second half of the issue but it didn't feel like it did much of anything. Some nice art though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Secret Avengers #2: How are Coulson and New Fury best friends forever, wasn't Fury just created a yearish ago? They must have had some good times. I still liked the issue a lot, not as much as the first which had more going on, but there was enough. Definitely continuing 7.9/10.

As much as I dread to defend the hamfisted Fury Jr. introduction, their friendship is something that was very established in those issues.

frye

Its almost impressive creation in glossy soulless cynically crafted trash made exclusively to pander to the uber-fanboy, right down to Gary Frank's overblown Captain Marvel design.

That's why I like it! The great thing about Geoff Johns is he always has two questions floating around his head - (1) how can I make this sell? and (2) how can I make this COOL? Shazam is at once a shamelessly cynical reboot - hoods, lightning eyes, BILLY BATSON WITH ATTITUDE, and also an earnest representation of what Geoff Johns actually thinks is awesome. The second part is what separates Geoff from all the sleep inducing sub-Geoffs crawling around DC comics.

As for the comic itself, it's incredibly sentimental and works almost entirely from that sentimentality. "Family is more than blood!" shouts Geoff Johns from the mountaintops as Billy Batson's heart grows three times larger kinda shit. It's the only one of these New 52 character reboots where I'm honestly like "sure, that's not like the previous version at all but I'm fine with that" which has gotta count for something.

Moon Knight #2: So these are the white pages you guys are talking about. I liked the second half of the issue but it didn't feel like it did much of anything. Some nice art though.
With Scret Avengers, if you told me it was still being written by Nick Spencer I'd believe you. It's Ales Kot masquerading as something he is not, while maintaining the Marvel House Style.

I was fine with Hulk until the last page. Wut da heyl. I think Marvel needs to shelve him for a while along with the Fantastic Four. The last several runs have been filled with gimmicks and bad art from Silvestri's chicken scratch to the various art beginners last run.

Batman 30's cover feels so good. I imagine it's what a woman feels like.

I've always been disappointed by that ASM #600 Romita Sr variant. You can't give an old school artist like John Romita Sr some slapdash Photoshop layovers. The basic gardiations and the awful tonal values...it feels like a bad attempt to mimic a color scheme of the past. Just lazy ass coloring that makes it very bland.

Just because Sr had talent doesn't automatically mean Jr does.
Jr has always been a middling artist.
That's sadly true.

I've always been disappointed by that ASM #600 Romita Sr variant. You can't give an old school artist like John Romita Sr some slapdash Photoshop layovers. The basic gardiations and the awful tonal values...it feels like a bad attempt to mimic a color scheme of the past. Just lazy ass coloring that makes it very bland.
Yes but even then it looks miles better than what Jr would have done. Sr. pencilling is the only reason why the cover is passable even with the middling colouring as you rightly noted.

Tony Moore is incredible. I wish he had drawn all of Fear Agent. I hope he returns to comics soon, I know he is dealing with personal issues now. Rememnder mentioned he wanted to work on a Western with him. Goddam. Can you imagine that?

Oh and a Heath figure would be pretty schway.

tim1138

Just read Battle of the Atom, why again did people not like it? Sure it was no Days of Future Past, but it was still an enjoyable time travel story. The future Brotherhood were kind of lame, but future Quire as the Phoenix was fantastic.

Unrelated to the story, but I cannot believe this thing has a list price of $50 and doesn't even come with a digital code (did Marvel stop doing that for collections?). The pricing on Marvel's hardcovers has gotten completely out of hand. Thank god for the library.

MartyStu

Just read Battle of the Atom, why again did people not like it? Sure it was no Days of Future Past, but it was still an enjoyable time travel story. The future Brotherhood were kind of lame, but future Quire as the Phoenix was fantastic.

Unrelated to the story, but I cannot believe this thing has a list price of $50 and doesn't even come with a digital code (did Marvel stop doing that for collections?). The pricing on Marvel's hardcovers has gotten completely out of hand. Thank god for the library.

These three are sort of tied together.

On the whole. The story was largely fluff spread across way too many issues. This is ignoring the fact that it included too many characters acting in a manner very unlike how they have in the past.

Not to mention the entire thing with Kitty near the end. Not only does it make very little sense, but it was/is extremely unnecessary.

Seeing how the X-Men end up in a semi-cannon future was really the only cool thing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, that first volume of Green Arrow with Lemire and Sorrentino was fucking awesome. Soooooo good, all around.

Quake1028

DC COMICS
Aquaman #30

IDW PUBLISHING
7th Sword #1

MARVEL COMICS
All-New Invaders #4
Daredevil #2
Elektra #1
Fantastic Four #3
Thor By Walter Simonson Volume 5
Uncanny Avengers #19

arkon

Tony Moore is incredible. I wish he had drawn all of Fear Agent. I hope he returns to comics soon, I know he is dealing with personal issues now. Rememnder mentioned he wanted to work on a Western with him. Goddam. Can you imagine that?

Same. Wish he could put out more pages than he does. They're worth the wait though.

tim1138

These three are sort of tied together.

On the whole. The story was largely fluff spread across way too many issues. This is ignoring the fact that it included too many characters acting in a manner very unlike how they have in the past.

Not to mention the entire thing with Kitty near the end. Not only does it make very little sense, but it was/is extremely unnecessary.

Seeing how the X-Men end up in a semi-cannon future was really the only cool thing.

Yeah it probably could have been half as long as it was without really cutting anything from the plot. Maybe my opinion on it would be different if I had been buying it as it came out of bought the trade, but as a loan from the library it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

Easy what to will about how long it takes for DC to get trades out, but at least their pricing isn't insane. I have the Green Lantern Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern hardcovers, both are sixteen issues long and cost $35. Obviously anyone who pays full price for years in this day and age is a sucker, but even with mark downs, the Marvel stuff is just exorbitantly priced.

Just read 4 issues of Nathan Edmonson's Punisher.......that was lame as hell. His Frank doesn't look menacing in the slightest, is too friendly, and wears a stupid skull mask. Plus, the art was sloppy and at times hard to follow due to a lack of detail, only really good thing about it were the panel perspectives.

When they brought in Electro it flattened what little of the book I was enjoying, since you know there's no way they'll let Frank kill him. They need to keep the Punisher the hell out of the Marvel U unless it's a MAX book where people can actually die.

How is the GotG series anyway

I didn't really care for it. I followed it for 7 or 8 issues before I dropped it. It was pretty dull and nothing really happened from what I remember. The art was gorgeous but I don't think Bendis should be writing it.

DnA's run was better.

Brah is coming to a convention near me in a few week.

Can't wait to get a Heath sketch

Hmm, see I kinda like Romita Jr's work because it's so different from everything I read - to the point that the next time I shop at IST, I'm gonna go looking for more of his stuff.

Just read 4 issues of Nathan Edmonson's Punisher.......that was lame as hell. His Frank doesn't look menacing in the slightest, is too friendly, and wears a stupid skull mask. Plus, the art was sloppy and at times hard to follow due to a lack of detail, only really good thing about it were the panel perspectives.

When they brought in Electro it flattened what little of the book I was enjoying, since you know there's no way they'll let Frank kill him. They need to keep the Punisher the hell out of the Marvel U unless it's a MAX book where people can actually die.

I know what you mean and completely agree with your first paragraph. Punisher spoke more in 1 issue of this series than he did in Rucka's entire run. I can honestly say that he wrote Frank so well that you could actually feel the guy was like a scary urban legend and was quite menacing in it. Not only that you could also see that Frank was just a human who'd get injured from his fights with super-villains.

Now in this new version, there is the matter of Chatty Cathy Frank. He's speaking so much he sounds like a Gossip Girl. Finally the art is so colourful and jarring in contrast to the violent and gory content being shown. Rucka totally got the character and showed how well he could push him within the confines of the 616 Universe.

The new team pissed on everything good Rucka did (the one thing I hated was the beard) and never showed how he escaped the prison. Not to forget the Thunderbolts depiction of Frank has been so terrible and the out of field Electra romance lmao... which has firmly cemented my decision on sticking to Rucka Frank and him being stuck in prison while this is just a copycat Frank running around.

Hmm, see I kinda like Romita Jr's work because it's so different from everything I read - to the point that the next time I shop at IST, I'm gonna go looking for more of his stuff.

His Amazing Spider-man run with JMS is one of my favourite Spidey runs...I always thought his artwork really worked well with the story.

I have to admit that I think that DC house style actually works with some characters including Superman and Batman. Don't get me wrong, I am all up for varying characters looks and styles; many of my favourite runs are not house style per se, but I still enjoy the Finch, Reis, Van Sciver and Daniel's of the DCU on superhero titles. If the art helps tell the story, or enhances it then it's fine in my book. I used to chase artists and while the visual element of comics is so important (what with it being a major component of what makes a comic book a comic book) I have come to be more forgiving of art and less forgiving of story lines / narrative. I have also realised that both the story and art have to complement each other...with the key word there being complement...both have to be great to make a great comic book.

Vibranium

Banned

Supposedly, they were old marine buddies and Coulson was nicknamed "Cheese". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard (and Battle Scars was a stain on humanity), how are you supposed to sell them on movie people with that? And lol at the fact that after Junior's mom was killed, it's never been brought up in the comics again - no fan gave a crap about her. Just make him into a damn villain already, it would actually be really cool to see Fury Sr's mistake really bite the world in the ass. If Kot does that I may be tempted to take another look.

I haven't talked about Kot's Zero I guess, so I just want to say it's amazing and in my mind it's 10000000 times better than Secret Avengers (dropped after 1 issue again haha). I feel he does much better with a serious tone and dark humour, just my opinion. I hope he does more Image work.

tim1138

Supposedly, they were old marine buddies and Coulson was nicknamed "Cheese". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard (and Battle Scars was a stain on humanity), how are you supposed to sell them on movie people with that? And lol at the fact that after Junior's mom was killed, it's never been brought up in the comics again - no fan gave a crap about her. Just make him into a damn villain already, it would actually be really cool to see Fury Sr's mistake really bite the world in the ass. If Kot does that I may be tempted to take another look.

I haven't talked about Kot's Zero I guess, so I just want to say it's amazing and in my mind it's 10000000 times better than Secret Avengers (dropped after 1 issue again haha). I feel he does much better with a serious tone and dark humour, just my opinion. I hope he does more Image work.

One of us, one of us!

Messi

Nobody has any opinions of that Uncanny X-Men series/omni? Don't wanna buy it if it's shit. Lol

none of you say I'll like it because I have shit taste. My shit taste is specific.

I've found that I don't understand the complaint of what some people call "The House Style". It's spoken as though it is some sort of pejorative. "Ew, you draw house style." It doesn't matter to this group of people that the art is gorgeous because it's not different. It's too recognizable. If there is any sort of shared visual language between titles then it is not worth their time and they'll go out of their way to attack it. They'll chase the shittiest art as equally as the most uniquely beautiful for no other reason than it is different.

Curse you house style... !

Dude, it's Claremont/Byrne X-Men. According to Amazon, it includes Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. There's few better X-Men stories. You should buy it, with the caveat that these are old comics with older storytelling sensibilities. Older comics are Not For Everyone, but that doesn't make them bad. Just old fashioned IMO.

tim1138

Nobody has any opinions of that Uncanny X-Men series/omni? Don't wanna buy it if it's shit. Lol

none of you say I'll like it because I have shit taste. My shit taste is specific.

No clue about the quality of the physical book, but it contains the best X-Men story of all time. I'd say you really can't go wrong with anything from that era of the series.

Messi

Dude, it's Claremont/Byrne X-Men. According to Amazon, it includes Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. There's few better X-Men stories. You should buy it, with the caveat that these are old comics with older storytelling sensibilities. Older comics are Not For Everyone, but that doesn't make them bad. Just old fashioned IMO.

I am incredibly new to reading X-Men books so I know very few of the big storylines and the writers that went along with them.

tim1138

I am incredibly new to reading X-Men books so I know very few of the big storylines and the writers that went along with them.

Claremont is the definitive X-Men writer, and the Dark Phoenix Saga is probably the definitive X-Men story. So you get that, Days of Future Past, a Savage Land story and some other extras? Totally worth it.

Messi

Claremont is the definitive X-Men writer, and the Dark Phoenix Saga is probably the definitive X-Men story. So you get that, Days of Future Past, a Savage Land story and some other extras? Totally worth it.

Would it be worth my time getting the first volume first?

tim1138

Would it be worth my time getting the first volume first?

It wouldn't hurt to read volume 1, but you should be able to just jump into volume 2 and be fine.

Do I remember correctly that you like Kitty Pryde? Her origin is in the second volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom