• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to check out Deadly Class #2 and 3. See if it gets to stay on the pull. These weeklies are going to inflict casualties somewhere. Thinking Rat Queens and Saga are going under the knife. Possibly Birds of Prey.

Messi

Time to check out Deadly Class #2 and 3. See if it gets to stay on the pull. These weeklies are going to inflict casualties somewhere. Thinking Rat Queens and Saga are going under the knife. Possibly Birds of Prey.

The fuck am I reading right now? I thought you were good people. You disappoint me GrandHarrier. Don't make these rash decisions.

Drop Birds of Prey. Even I dropped that. That book is average as fuck.

The fuck am I reading right now? I thought you were good people. You disappoint me GrandHarrier. Don't make these rash decisions.

Drop Birds of Prey. Even I dropped that. That book is average as fuck.

8292174927_3885a96d42.jpg

Don't worry. Black Science and Red Sonja are safe. Rat Queens is cute but I feel like I sat down at someone elses DnD campaign halfway through and I don't understand half of the jokes or memes they are using. Saga is just losing the magic. The delays kill my enthusiasm. It'll probably become trade material somewhere down the line. Birds of Prey is, as you said, just OK but not OK in a way I can deal with (like Red Hood, which is just random enough to amuse me).

Deadly Class is probably safe. Or maybe not. I don't know how to process this second issue. It's all over the place.

Messi

I didn't/don't get the hype about Deadly Class. The art looks really good, but the story sounds like some DeviantArt fan fiction.

Yesssss yesssssss embrace the hate. Deadly Class is a woefully middling book that somehow keeps getting voted for here each month.

I didn't/don't get the hype about Deadly Class. The art looks really good, but the story sounds like some DeviantArt fan fiction.

And issue #3 finished. Was it Remenders intention to destroy any likeability to the main character in this issue? Because he succeeded. What a fucking train wreck after an interesting #1.

Fuck this book.

Messi

And issue #3 finished. Was it Remenders intention to destroy any likeability to the main character in this issue? Because he succeeded. What a fucking train wreck after an interesting #1.

Fuck this book.

A character does not have to be likable to be a good character. But you are right. Fuck this book.

Cover to issue 4 is cool though.

A character does not have to be likable to be a good character. But you are right. Fuck this book.

Cover to issue 4 is cool though.

For a main character they do. It's the same problem I have with JL3000. None of the main characters are likeable (and it's probably getting dropped too).

As much as I love Superboy Prime I don't want him as the star of a book.

I have other issues with the book: For a school dedicated to Assassin's you'd expect the students to have some basic skills already. So why are they learning stupid, basic shit? Especially if they are all advanced students as the headmaster said?

This book needed to have a touch of Japanimu. They needed to be learning special techniques. I want awesome over the top. I don't want beating a
hobo with a 2x4.

My fault for expecting more from the book.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys, I want recommendations for good or important Green Lantern books pre-rebirth. I have preference for trade paperbacks, but if I can only find them on comixology that is ok too.

I was thinking about things like the death of Hal Jordan, the first appearance of Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner, etc.

So what do you guys say?

I kinda read a lot of the big 90s Hal stuff by accident as a kid - the Death and Return of Superman is a fairly definitive Hal story given what happens to coast city as well as being quite fun 90s nonsense. I never read Emerald Twilight but I think that's the next biggie. He's the main bad guy in Zero Hour as Paralax - only really worth it if you can borrow/steal. And then he becomes the Spectre in Final Night which is actually very good and features some nice early Immonen art. He pops up in Kevin smith's Green Arrow run too. Then with Kyle, probably the best stuff he was in would be Morrison's JLA.

There gets to a point where Marvel just gives up with art teams. It's happening with Nova now. First they had Mcaguinness lite Paco Medina draw, now they are using every motherfucker that can pick up a pencil draw it.

For a main character they do. It's the same problem I have with JL3000. None of the main characters are likeable (and it's probably getting dropped too).

lol wut

Read Scalped much?
Or 100 Bullets?
Or a million incredible comics?
CEREBUS?? Shit, I don't even like the CREATOR of that book and it's still fantastic.

The only requirement I have is that the protagonist be interesting. Likeability is nice, but in no way necessary. And I'm not arrogant enough to complain about them not being "relatable". Its not all about you, mothafucka.

Messi

I'm glad lots of you love Deadly Class. It's a sign that they are doing something right. But it's not for me. Real talk... Fuck that book.

tim1138

Guys, I want recommendations for good or important Green Lantern books pre-rebirth. I have preference for trade paperbacks, but if I can only find them on comixology that is ok too.

I was thinking about things like the death of Hal Jordan, the first appearance of Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner, etc.

So what do you guys say?

The Neil Adams and Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow run from the 70s is good and available in one tpb. It's a bit of a product of its era but is still an enjoyable read. It has the first appearance of John Stewart and the now infamous arc about Speedy being addicted to heroin.

The 80s stuff is hit or miss and is being collected in tpbs titled Green Lantern: Sector 2814 (I wanna say there's three volumes released so far). If I remember right, this is a mix of Hal and John stuff.

The next major story was the Death of Superman and resulting destruction of Coast City. Hal's descent to madness was chronicled in the Emerald Twilight arc in issues Green Lantern #48-#50. After that was Kyle taking over in the New Dawn arc in issues #51-55ish. The trade for this is out of print but all the issues are on comixology.

From there you can follow Hal to Zero Hour and Final Night and Kyle to Morrison's run on JLA.

Unai

I kinda read a lot of the big 90s Hal stuff by accident as a kid - the Death and Return of Superman is a fairly definitive Hal story given what happens to coast city as well as being quite fun 90s nonsense. I never read Emerald Twilight but I think that's the next biggie. He's the main bad guy in Zero Hour as Paralax - only really worth it if you can borrow/steal. And then he becomes the Spectre in Final Night which is actually very good and features some nice early Immonen art. He pops up in Kevin smith's Green Arrow run too. Then with Kyle, probably the best stuff he was in would be Morrison's JLA.

The Neil Adams and Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow run from the latest is good and available in one tpb. It's a bit of a product of its era but is still an enjoyable read. It has the first appearance of John Stewart and the now infamous arc about Speedy being addicted to heroin.

The 80s stuff is hit or miss and is being collected in tpbs titled Green Lantern: Sector 2814 (I wanna say there's three volumes released so far). If I remember right, this is a mix of Hal and John stuff.

The next major story was the Death of Superman and resulting destruction of Coast City. Hal's descent to madness was chronicled in the Emerald Twilight arc in issues Green Lantern #48-#50. After that was Kyle taking over in the New Dawn arc in issues #51-55ish. The trade for this is out of print but all the issues are on comixology.

From there you can follow Hal to Zero Hour and Final Night and Kyle to Morrison's run on JLA.

Great! Thanks!

Owzers

The only requirement I have is that the protagonist be interesting. Likeability is nice, but in no way necessary. And I'm not arrogant enough to complain about them not being "relatable". Its not all about you, mothafucka.

House of Cards unlikable vs Game of Thrones unlikable, for me. I cant' stand House of Cards really, i hate everyone, and don't enjoy watching the show because of this. Game of Thrones has some truly awful people like The Mountain, and then lots of semi-awful but entertaining characters that aren't unlikable because they are interestinggggggggg, and it's very engaging.

Then they have Bran.

tim1138

Great! Thanks!

Depending how far back you want to go, there are two omnibi or seven Archive editions that collect the first 50 or so issues of Hal Jordan era GL.

The Ion era of Kyle is worth reading as well if you can track it down (GL #142-#155). Sadly the trades are out of print and comixology doesn't go that far yet.

There was also the GL:Mosaic series in the 90s about John, but sadly that was never collected and isn't on comixology either.

And I dont know what you guys are smoking, deadly class is great.

I'm now convinced the book exists solely for Remender to name drop stuff from the 80s. He put more effort into that then he did in the logic behind the world he has crafted.

And the end of issue #3... Main character is a fucking monster.

House of Cards unlikable vs Game of Thrones unlikable, for me. I cant' stand House of Cards really, i hate everyone, and don't enjoy watching the show because of this. Game of Thrones has some truly awful people like The Mountain, and then lots of semi-awful but entertaining characters that aren't unlikable because they are interestinggggggggg, and it's very engaging.

Then they have Bran.

Yeah I suppose this is a really good analogy for what I meant. People can be likeable and be assholes at the same time. But then some characters are just insufferable. I don't care about them. They could drop dead the next panel and I wouldn't give a fuck.

I've mentioned Justice League 3000. Seriously, the villains of that universe (at least Locus) are more likeable than the heroes. I actively root for the heroes to lose because they are the fucking worst. If the book was about the Fake Fatal Five, then I'd probably be more on board.

Gartooth

I finally finished my run of cosmic Marvel. Started at Annihilation and went through to The Thanos Imperative. These are some of my favorite stories in all of comics, and I didn't really notice it ever losing my interest as I read on through. The 2008 run on GOTG was in particular a favorite of mine, and I can definitely see why Marvel is banking a movie on that property.

Is the current Guardians of the Galaxy series worth following? I have a few reservations about it, mainly that none of the non-movie Guardians are in the current roster from my understanding, and also I'm hoping that they did a good job handling the impacts of the Thanos Imperative.
Such as Star Lord and Drax's return.

Is the current Guardians of the Galaxy series worth following? I have a few reservations about it, mainly that none of the non-movie Guardians are in the current roster from my understanding, and also I'm hoping that they did a good job handling the impacts of the Thanos Imperative.

I know several people here like it, but I think it's a big let down compared to DnA's run. The artwork is gorgeous but the story wasn't really going anywhere in what I read. But you can get the first trade pretty cheap online if you want to give it a shot.

AFAIK they have yet to reveal how Star-Lord and Thanos came back from the collapse of the Cancerverse. Richard Rider's still dead.... just because.

Owzers

Better hope Didio doesn't read this interview. What is Lemire thinking with this "fun" shit anyway? Did he forget that every one of these characters' parents are DEAD?!

they had to reboot the universe just to take away their wives too. Then have a batman zero year to kill bruce's parents again. Now i'm thinking about Spidey's devil magic deal.....comics...

Nope not at all.

Bendis' version of the characters you loved are mere caricatures of themselves. The book was bogged down in tie ins and "angela" bullshit and never given any room to breathe. You will hate rocket raccoon in this book.

And no they didnt do a good job handling any of that stuff that happened at the end of Thanos Imperative.

phoenixyz

And the end of issue #3... Main character is a fucking monster.

Yeah I suppose this is a really good analogy for what I meant. People can be likeable and be assholes at the same time. But then some characters are just insufferable. I don't care about them. They could drop dead the next panel and I wouldn't give a fuck.

The characters are actively annoying. They are Mary Sueish and "gritty" in a rather ridiculous fan-fiction-y way. It's as if Remender couldn't decide if he wanted to do over-the-top/ironic or dark/realistic.

Real talk... Fuck that book.

yourascalx1j9e.gif

But to be honest, I'll probably give it one more issue before dropping. Black Science also needed 3 issues before it got good.

8bit

Knows the Score
Uhhh..

You are not dreaming.
We are trying to communicate with you.
Local reality has been reinstalled.
Things have gone wrong.
The revision has corrupted.
Finding Ethan Crane is your supreme priority.
We are speaking to you from the ultimate bunker within the structure of multiversal time.
Do not trust Darius Dax.
We are all going to die.

Warren Ellis (TREES, Planetary) teams up with Tula Lotay (ELEPHANTMEN, The Witching Hour) to re-introduce the central Image Comics character in SUPREME: BLUE ROSE, coming this July from Image Comics.

“One day I woke up with an idea, that came out of nowhere, for how to extend this most strange and storied of ‘analogue’ properties into a new space. A new floor on top of Alan Moore and Rob Liefeld’s house,” said Ellis. “And, since I had some time on my hands that year, I emailed Image, and we got my friend Tula Lotay involved—and her work will be a revelation to people.”

SUPREMEBR01-cover-fbdcc.jpg

Gartooth

I know several people here like it, but I think it's a big let down compared to DnA's run. The artwork is gorgeous but the story wasn't really going anywhere in what I read. But you can get the first trade pretty cheap online if you want to give it a shot.

AFAIK they have yet to reveal how Star-Lord and Thanos came back from the collapse of the Cancerverse. Richard Rider's still dead.... just because.

Nope not at all.

Bendis' version of the characters you loved are mere caricatures of themselves. The book was bogged down in tie ins and "angela" bullshit and never given any room to breathe. You will hate rocket raccoon in this book.

And no they didnt do a good job handling any of that stuff that happened at the end of Thanos Imperative.

Not touching it then, my biggest concern was that the series would be a half-hearted GotG in name only that was only brought back to capitalize on the movie. (Which coincidentally was what got me to try cosmic Marvel in the first place) If they can't even handle the big finale of the Thanos Imperative and have yet to address it then the book isn't worth my time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I saw that a lot of you exchanged Twitter nicknames, so I followed some of you.
If you want, you can follow me, too. My Twitter ID is GAMEPROFF.

Please be aware, that I tweet most of the time in german ;)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom