• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Batman comic since 1938?

It got that bad with several comics in the early 90s. Pretty much Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men all went into that crossing over stuff for a long time. It is especially annoying if you are trying to do something like collect all the issues of Action Comics, because it leave a giant ten year gap where none of the other comics make sense unless you buy all the others.

Batman isn't actually as bad as Superman or Spider-Man. Batman goes back to all of the comics being separate by like 94-95 (after Knightfall). Superman was that way for like 15 years.

Yeah. I started with DC #27 I believe?

I've had to read summaries of some issues that I couldn't find and had to just give up on stuff that crossed over into other major characters too much/too far.

my impression is that the 90s were a crazy time for crossovers. Spider-Man probably had a lot, too.

Also maybe you're weak on them because you're trying to read EVERY SINGLE BOOK THAT CAME OUT. why you doing that to yourself, man.

I like to experience an IP from the start because I'm an idiot, and in this case apparently like to abuse myself.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Honest question: What books do you pull from DC, and why?

Because outside Aaron Kuder drawing Superman, Batman '66, and Multiversity, I find nothing interesting about their current line-up of titles whatsoever. I look at their solicitations and this giant cloud of apathy swells over my head.

Batman: I pick this up mostly because of Capullo's stellar art and his take on the Batman universe. He's just on another level. Snyder came on the scene and quickly became one of my favorite current writers with Black Mirror. Unfortunately, his MEGA-arcs on Batman have left me a bit cold to his storytelling. While his actual writing is great, his storytelling and his inability to land the last act of his grandiose stories has really made me weary of him.

Batman and Robin: This book has the heart and emotion that Snyder's Batman lacks. Gleason is wonderful and a joy to watch as he puts all of his creativity into ever-impressive panels and pages. Tomasi is, flat-out, a good writer. He understands how to tell a story, he's literary, and he's bent on telling harsh, heart-breaking, stories about a father trying to get his son back. The people that complain that Bruce has to get over Damian and this arc needs to end haven't properly read this book or they're just complaining for the fuck of it.

Batman/Superman: Pak and Lee, when they're both on the actual book, are great. The back and forth between Superman and Batman's battling ideologies is emphasized by two sets of Bats and Supes and the art is sometimes confusing, but always interesting. And also, this is a book that's building on the Bats/Supes friendship in a proper, deserved way.

Forever Evil: Every issue ends with a maiming. Woooh. David Finch art. Woooh. The only saving grace is Bizarro, the few sections with Captain Cold, and some of Lex. Otherwise, this event is garbage, we all know Dick Grayson is fine, and it's gone on for-fucking-ever.

Superman Unchained: I have nothing nice to say about Snyder's Superman. I think the story is absurdly boring, I can never remember what big-dumb explosive event happened in the issue prior, and Jim Lee's mindblowing scratchy black lines muscle art stinks.

Green Arrow: Jeff Lemire is great with families, and it shows here. He just knows how to write an interesting family dynamic, knows how to make certain scenes hurt, knows how to put together a damn good Green Arrow story. Sorrentio's art doesn't need my endorsement, it's just fucking incredible. Also, I really like the clan aspect, and it's providing this whole new mythology for Green Arrow that I think is needed, especially the new52 young Ollie.

Detective: Just hopped on for the Manapul/Boochbag team, and the first issue was solid. I'll see where it goes for another issue or two, but if it's even middling by issue 3, then fuck this team. Can't fool me again after that Flash run.

So yeah, that's my list. It sucks that it's down to so few, but, you know..

Furyous

What in thee blue fuck did Marvel do to Scarlet Spider?
That comic had the trappings of greatness. They screwed it up royally. Kaine's not a superhero and they deprived me of aracely comedy.

We need a petition to drag Kaine back to Houston.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What in thee blue fuck did Marvel do to Scarlet Spider?
That comic had the trappings of greatness. They screwed it up royally. Kaine's not a superhero and they deprived me of aracely comedy.

We need a petition to drag Kaine back to Houston.

Scarlet Spider is joining a team book written by Yost, he'll be fine.

Cheska

Were any of you interested in reading Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder or Rick Remenders Uncanny Avengers?

I have digital codes for 1-18 of Thor and 1-17 of Uncanny Avengers that came with my new hardcovers. I'd be willing to sell them for $10 per set (so $10 for all of Thor and $10 for all of UA) Let me know if you guys want them! :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gaf, what are some good non marvel/dc comics?

Currently?

American Vampire
Atomic Robo
Chew
East of West
FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics
Hellboy/BPRD
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects
Mind MGMT
TMNT

technically dc but i'll let it slide

I assume he means non-Marvel/DC superheroes. No sense including all the other totally different stuff those publishers also release under other labels.

I'm mostly looking for super hero, science fiction, fantasy and action comics.
Invincible is a sweet superhero series that's kept in consistent continuity. if you wanna go back several years Madman is pretty fun too

I haven't read them but Fear Agent and Hellboy/BPRD sound up your alley in that regard

most new Valiant stuff is good, like Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, and Bloodshot

Rat Queens is light fun fantasy stuff and Skullkickers is supposed to be pretty good in that regard too

multivac

So I've heard that Walking Dead gets boring after around issue 50. How consistently good is Invincible? I'm kinda interested in the Comixology sale...

Edit: Just noticed the sale technically ended an hour ago, but Comixology never updates their webpage at the correct time so I managed to add the Invincible bundle to my cart at the sale price. Bought it because I'm so weak :( Hope it's good!

Owzers

So I've heard that Walking Dead gets boring after around issue 50. How consistently good is Invincible? I'm kinda interested in the Comixology sale...

Edit: Just noticed the sale technically ended an hour ago, but Comixology never updates their webpage at the correct time so I managed to add the Invincible bundle to my cart at the sale price. Bought it because I'm so weak :( Hope it's good!

It's good and doesn't fall off like Walking Dead, presuming you like it to begin with Xo

Taken as a whole, Invincible is one of my favorite superhero books of all time. It has some dips in quality here and there, but the good stuff is stellar.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I might just read Fear Agent, actually. I wanted to read more indies, anyway. Would the Library Editions be best?

Yes, they're amazing. Oversized, top-notch quality, and all told only a few bucks more than it'd cost to get the regular trades that are currently being reprinted. Dark Horse is godly when it comes to hardcover collections.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I've had to read summaries of some issues that I couldn't find and had to just give up on stuff that crossed over into other major characters too much/too far.

I like to experience an IP from the start because I'm an idiot, and in this case apparently like to abuse myself.

You're going to read every Batman comic ever? ahahahahahahahahahahaha

edit: I'm sorry that was cruel. Perhaps next up you should watch every episode of Days of our Lives, or maybe get a walnut crusher and obliterate your testicles?

You're going to read every Batman comic ever? ahahahahahahahahahahaha

edit: I'm sorry that was cruel. Perhaps next up you should watch every episode of Days of our Lives, or maybe get a walnut crusher and obliterate your testicles?
i'm weirdly impressed by his determination. in 6 months he got through 60+ years of comics featuring the same character. I have no excuse for having a backlog now

Holy crap Marvel Unlimited

I read all of Annihilation in 2 days, side stories included

Edit - He wants to read all of Batman?!?! And I thought wanting to read Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, Guardians of the Galaxy, Planet Hulk and World War Hulk in a couple months was ambitious lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
i'm weirdly impressed by his determination. in 6 months he got through 60+ years of comics featuring the same character. I have no excuse for having a backlog now

It certainly is a feat of effort that much is for sure. The idea of reading all those bad old comics gives me anxiety.

It certainly is a feat of effort that much is for sure. The idea of reading all those bad old comics gives me anxiety.

I've been doing something similar with old Legion comics. Working my way through the 60s and 70s comics through archives and lots of old issues I've managed to amass. If you have a particularly deep love for a character or franchise it can be a delight to immerse yourself in the entire history.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've been doing something similar with old Legion comics. Working my way through the 60s and 70s comics through archives and lots of old issues I've managed to amass. If you have a particularly deep love for a character or franchise it can be a delight to immerse yourself in the entire history.

I love Batman to a frankly embarrassing degree but having read a fair few Golden and Silver age books, they're now firmly in the camp of 'historical context' rather than 'actual entertainment'.

You all have to buy Skinned:
https://www.comixology.com/Skinned-1/digital-comic/91079
20 pages of pleasing art and an original story concept for 0.99$

Next is Translucid (6 issue mini-series):
https://www.comixology.com/Translucid-1-of-6/digital-comic/89690
3.99$ but it's gotten me hooked from the start.

Did someone buy any of the above comics? Wanted to hear some thoughts on them.

-----------------

Also, the new team continues to piss on Punisher with their "new" take:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52293

I love Batman to a frankly embarrassing degree but having read a fair few Golden and Silver age books, they're now firmly in the camp of 'historical context' rather than 'actual entertainment'.

Heh, sure. But you'll also run into timeless gems or little nuggets of personal insight that are wonderful. It also helps me when I put myself into the mindset of someone from that era and try to see the comic through that perspective.

Did someone buy any of the above comics? Wanted to hear some thoughts on them.

I bought Translucid. I was talking about it a little last week. The creator is the lead singer/guitar of Coheed & Cambria one of my favorite bands. I've been getting his books for that reason but they have all been very good and enjoyable imo. I have his Key of Z #1-4(zombies) and Kill Audio #1-6 (an immortal and unsuspecting hero who must save the world with his music)
I thought Translucid was awesome,, art and colors are great. I like where the story is going so far,, a good #1
"Without giving too much away (because seriously, you need to read this), Translucid #1 is a fast paced, dark, and gritty look at the fine line between heroics and villainy, while also teasing the tale of childhood innocence, hope, and loss. With the death of hundreds, possibly thousands of lives, the Navigator must try and rescue his arch-nemesis from the destruction of the Big Apple’s most beloved landmark. But with the under lining subplot that this could all be just an act of escapism is where the true twist of Translucid #1 lies."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

If you're not the world's greatest detective now, it's all been a waste, man.

But seriously, what's your favorite run so far? Also, what's the worst issue you've forced yourself through?

Some of you like playing with Heroclix, and some of you like Harley Quinn, so here you go.

2013 Heroclix champion immortalizes his win with "Lapdance" Harley Quinn (Bleeding Cool)

seDFKOG.png

Ha. Hilarious. ;p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Never read a Punisher comic before this run but I'm enjoying it too. Like the art a whole lot.

That Supreme: Blue Rose cover looks amazing, looks like I may be able to safely pick that up without having read any Supreme that came before it, right?

8bit

Knows the Score
Never read a Punisher comic before this run but I'm enjoying it too. Like the art a whole lot.

That Supreme: Blue Rose cover looks amazing, looks like I may be able to safely pick that up without having read any Supreme that came before it, right?

I would guess it will fill in the past as it goes on.

Anyway, previous Supreme isn't really complex. The early stories are stupid roided up Superman stuff until Alan Moore takes it over and turns it into the greatest Superman story never told. If you can find Supreme Story of the Year & Supreme The Return they're awesome. There's an especially wonderful tribute to Jack Kirby.

Also, this :

supreme05608.jpg

Good on you all for enjoying this run then. I'm going pretend this current Punisher is a LMD deployed by SHIELD and the real one is still stuck in the underwater prison at the end of Rucka's War Zone. Atleast this way I can reconcile the massive character assassination that has happened in both this new run and Thunderbolts.

I bet this is going to be revealed in Original Sin. I wish. :-(

Image Comics Solicitations for July 2014 have appeared; ya'll ready to buy another Remender comic? :D

kGiY3vx.jpg

LOW #1
story: RICK REMENDER
art / cover: GREG TOCCHINI

JULY 30 / 36 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

In the far distant future, the sun’s premature expansion has irradiated Earth, sending humanity to the lowest depths of the seas, hidden within radiation-shielded cities, while probes scour the universe for inhabitable worlds to relocate to. After tens of thousands of years, a single probe returns, crashing on Earth’s surface, a now-alien place no human has seen for many millennia.

Frequent collaborators RICK REMENDER (BLACK SCIENCE, Uncanny Avengers) and GREG TOCCHINI (Last Days of American Crime, Uncanny X-Force) dive into an aquatic sci-fi/fantasy tale following two teams from the last remaining cities undersea as they race to the most unexpected alien world of all—the surface of Earth.

Special introductory issue features 30 full pages of painted art!
Also, Supreme Blue Rose by Ellis/Lotay, Sejic's Death Vigil, the return of Hack/Slash, the super-delayed Black Kiss special by Chaykin and Black Dog TPB by Kelly/Greco, the first Deadly Class TPB, Saga, Sex Criminals, Velvet, Lazarus, and all the awesome stuff you've come to expect from Image.

DC's solicits are also popping up sometime today it's believed.

EDIT:

DC has decided that Batman doesn't get enough exposure, so this July he'll appear on all variant covers for the month (Newsarama)

The list (so far):

ACTION COMICS #33
AQUAMAN #33
BATGIRL #33
BATMAN #33
BATMAN AND ROBIN #33
BATMAN/SUPERMAN #13
BATWOMAN #33
DETECTIVE COMICS #33
EARTH 2 #25
GRAYSON #1
GREEN LANTERN #33