• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhh..

SUPREMEBR01-cover-fbdcc.jpg

All I see is Greg Land tracing Kate Winslet.

Never read an issue of Supreme before, but I'm probably in for Blue Rose. I like that Ellis has come back to writing comics, I'm even looking forward to his Project Superpowers stuff (if nothing else, Ellis writing a character called Fighting Yank will be high comedy).

Justice League United #0 is my most anticipated book this week. I kind of wish it was #1 since this will probably be prequel shenanigans, but the team's line-up is really exciting to me.

Parch

But then some characters are just insufferable. I don't care about them. They could drop dead the next panel and I wouldn't give a fuck...
I actively root for the heroes to lose because they are the fucking worst.
I find myself doing this a lot, especially with DC. The hero better be anti-hero or have a dark side because the typical capes just annoy me. I just end up thinking that somebody should put a bullet in that boy scout.
Maybe I'm a closet psychopath, because I like the villains a lot more than the heroes.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Never read an issue of Supreme before, but I'm probably in for Blue Rose. I like that Ellis has come back to writing comics, I'm even looking forward to his Project Superpowers stuff (if nothing else, Ellis writing a character called Fighting Yank will be high comedy).

If you can, grab "Supreme: The Story of the Year" by Alan Moore. It's pretty much what you need when it comes to the character.

I find myself doing this a lot, especially with DC. The hero better be anti-hero or have a dark side because the typical capes just annoy me. I just end up thinking that somebody should put a bullet in that boy scout.
Maybe I'm a closet psychopath, because I like the villains a lot more than the heroes.

Bro why you misquote me bro? I was specifically talking about the "heroes" in JL3000. ;) Not all heroes.

ElNarez

Banned
So did the first draft of this Supreme press release read "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We Have Assumed Control"? Because this totally reads like someone just got real high listening to Rush records and reading bad Liefeld comics.

I'm still hella hyped for it though.

PsychBat!

Banned
Not touching it then, my biggest concern was that the series would be a half-hearted GotG in name only that was only brought back to capitalize on the movie. (Which coincidentally was what got me to try cosmic Marvel in the first place) If they can't even handle the big finale of the Thanos Imperative and have yet to address it then the book isn't worth my time.

They are waaaaaaaaay too close to Earth to even care about the rest of the galaxy. Mantis appeared for one issue and that's when I decided to drop the book entirely. Fuck Bendis for just that Mantis cameo appearance. Not to mention that Bendis made them Space Avengers which is not what they are at all!

Toa TAK

Banned
Another Ellis book @_@

Cover looks good but I'm going to have to hear more about it before I add it.

It's going to be a fantastic week of comics
BATMAN ETERNAL #3
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #0

DEAD BODY ROAD #5
FUSE #3
LAZARUS #8
SAVIORS #4
ZERO #7

DAREDEVIL #2
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #14
ORIGINAL SIN #0
UNCANNY AVENGERS #19

I feel so conflicted.

I would recommend avoiding it.

Even ignoring the complaint of "the entire story depends on some long-running marvel characters behaving like completely different people," it was still bad. The premise felt nonsensical because, given the amount of stuff perpetually going wrong in comics, I couldn't believe they'd go out of their way to cause apocalyptic amounts of grief for each other. Also, I wasn't convinced that the inciting incident behind the registration process was special enough to get people this riled up, given how much collateral damage has been done by superpowers in the past. Between those two things, everything that followed felt 100 percent pointless.

It just felt like the thought process of the comic was, "heroes fighting heroes is cool. Privacy v security is topical and modern. Let's throw that shit in a blender." It offered nothing beyond those basic ideas, not even action sequences i found exciting.

It might be my least-favorite comic I've ever read.

arkon

I got bad news for you

Yeah, yeah. Hardly news.

I wasn't convinced by the last team book I read that was written by Lemire, but there's still some good will remaining based off Sweet Tooth and those early Animal Man issues. I won't be hanging around as long if it's not my cup of tea this time.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah, yeah. Hardly news.

I wasn't convinced by the last team book I read that was written by Lemire, but there's still some good will remaining based off Sweet Tooth and those early Animal Man issues. I won't be hanging around as long if it's not my cup of tea this time.
Justice League United will save us from mediocre never-ending events and bad weeklies. At least, I hope so, because my DC pull is dwindling.

diaspora

Even ignoring the complaint of "the entire story depends on some long-running marvel characters behaving like completely different people," it was still bad. The premise felt nonsensical because, given the amount of stuff perpetually going wrong in comics, I couldn't believe they'd go out of their way to cause apocalyptic amounts of grief for each other. Also, I wasn't convinced that the inciting incident behind the registration process was special enough to get people this riled up, given how much collateral damage has been done by superpowers in the past. Between those two things, everything that followed felt 100 percent pointless.

It just felt like the thought process of the comic was, "heroes fighting heroes is cool. Privacy v security is topical and modern. Let's throw that shit in a blender." It offered nothing beyond those basic ideas, not even action sequences i found exciting.

This was literally the only good thing in it.

multivac

Speaking of Civil War, I just finished World War Hulk (which was awesome), and the effects of Civil War were still a big part of the storyline. At what point does everything go back to normal?

Justice League United will save us from mediocre never-ending events and bad weeklies. At least, I hope so, because my DC pull is dwindling.

So why even bother? You've clearly poisoned yourself from enjoying most of DC's books. I mean, I read most of them and in my opinion a healthy majority of them are good. But when I see people complaining about them I wonder why they don't just drop it and move on. I do sometimes feel that its the same thing I have going on with Marvel; I think the vast majority of Marvel's characters are shit so I have no interest in reading them. I am not invested in them at all (outside of some nostalgia for the X-Men). But when I occasionally read a title, my roommate pulls some of them... they don't seem anything special. They aren't some magical god send. I also read some indie books (the hyperbole on some of these can be insane). It's the same thing. There is literally nothing that is different about them that makes them "lesser" as some people seem to treat it.

I can only assume it's the poisoning of the mindshare that people allow to happen. They build up in their head that DC is bad, so they let it taint their experience.

I also think the lack of editorial snafus and constant creative changes that used to be the norm is giving people less concrete complaints. So they have to fall upon the nebulous "DC titles are bad because they are".

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So why even bother? You've clearly poisoned yourself from enjoying most of DC's books.

I don't even get your comment. I haven't poisoned myself from anything but shitty books. Don't go all DC-defender on me, GH. I love DC, but right now, there's a massive problem that's permeating their line. Gimmicks like weeklies and "ROMITA IS CUMMING" ads won't make up for boring stories and a stable of complacent creators.

Lemire's Green Arrow, Tomasi and Gleason's Batman & Bros, Capullo's Batman, and Superman/Batman are great fucking books, but I'd like to see more experimentation, less hemorrhage-inducing gimmicks, and more plain, great stories.

Messi

I don't even get your comment. I haven't poisoned myself from anything but shitty books. Don't go all DC-defender on me, GH. I love DC, but right now, there's a massive problem that's permeating their line. Gimmicks like weeklies and "ROMITA IS CUMMING" ads won't make up for boring stories and a stable of complacent creators.

Lemire's Green Arrow, Tomasi and Gleason's Batman & Bros, Capullo's Batman, and Superman/Batman are great fucking books, but I'd like to see more experimentation, less hemorrhage-inducing gimmicks, and more plain, great stories.

You seem to have forgotten Harley Quinn in your great fucking books list :(

I hate those Romita ads btw.

This was the worst part about the whole thing. You'd think that after things like Maximum Carnage and Onslaught that a villain blowing up a school would have been minor.

I mean really, Onslaught leveled Manhattan and killed almost all of the non mutant Super Heroes.

Sorry. Added more thoughts. Bad habit of elaborating in edits that should be in new posts. This is my list of what I think is good right now.

LEGIT, I'LL FIGHT YOU
Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman/Superman
Batman and ...
Batman Beyond Universe
Batwoman
Detective Comics (Possibly!)
Earth 2
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Green Lantern Corps
Harley Quinn
Injustice: Year One / Year Two
Justice League
Legends of the Dark Knight (Quarterly)
The Movement (Canceled)
Red Lanterns
Superman/Wonder Woman
Superman Unchained
Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest
Batman Eternal

BOOKS I LIKE BUT OTHERS PROBABLY WOULDN'T
Supergirl
Superboy

NEW, SO MAYBE?

Sinestro

Messi

Sorry. Added more thoughts. Bad habit of elaborating in edits that should be in new posts. This is my list of what I think is good right now.

LEGIT, I'LL FIGHT YOU
Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman/Superman
Batman and ...
Batman Beyond Universe
Batwoman
Earth 2
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Harley Quinn
Justice League
Legends of the Dark Knight (Quarterly)
The Movement (Canceled)
Red Lanterns
Superman/Wonder Woman
Superman Unchained
Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest
Batman Eternal

Supergirl
Superboy

NEW, SO MAYBE?

Sinestro

I wouldn't have a problem with this list. Dc may be overdoing it with the weeklies soon though.

DC COMICS
Batman Eternal #3
Batman Superman #9 Finally we get the third part of the crossover. Almost a month after the 4th came out...
Justice League United #0
Red Lanterns #30
Secret Origins #1

IDW PUBLISHING
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #33
Transformers Robots In Disguise #28

IMAGE COMICS
Lazarus #8
Manhattan Projects #20
Zero #7

MARVEL COMICS
Avengers Undercover #3
Daredevil #2
Elektra #1
Original Sin #0
Thunderbolts #25 (probably dropping when Soule leaves)
Uncanny Avengers #19

ONI PRESS
Letter 44 #6

Filthy Slug

You seem to have forgotten Harley Quinn in your great fucking books list :(

I hate those Romita ads btw.
Odd how that one was left off the list...Hah. But really, I don't even mind Romita's art--it was kind of rad in Eternals, but those ads. Jeez, talk about horseshit.

Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman/Superman
Batman and ...
Batman Beyond Universe
Batwoman
Earth 2
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Harley Quinn
Justice League
The Movement (Canceled)
Red Lanterns
Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest
Batman Eternal

Supergirl
Superboy

That's dope that you enjoy that many DC books--I just think there's an overall feeling of laziness, complacency, almost a feeling of malaise that I get from DC right now. I want to be wrong, man. I would prefer to be as happy as I was when the New 52 started at DC, with Frankenstein and Demon Knights and Wonder Woman and Supergirl, but I'm just not feeling any of that right now in any titles aside from the few I've mentioned.

But shit like Grayson, man, that could be great. And Johns writing Cold into the Justice League--fucking dope. So, I'm putting my faith in some Jeff Lemire Olly and Buddy intergalactic bromance stories, because frankly, that's more interesting than any weekly that's going to be announced, now or in the future.

I wouldn't have a problem with this list. Dc may be overdoing it with the weeklies soon though.

I don't know. I think there is a certain logic to it, really. Marvel experimented with the double shipping and found some success with it. I see the weeklies as DC experimenting with the same idea (yes, I know they've done it before but I mean on a more grand scale). You might even see more consolidation if the weeklies prove to be successful.

I don't know. I think there is a certain logic to it, really. Marvel experimented with the double shipping and found some success with it. I see the weeklies as DC experimenting with the same idea. You might even see more consolidation if the weeklies prove to be successful.

Marvel was triple-shipping ASM at one point. And as a person who had it on their pull at the time, I thought it was a bit much. But that could be due to a story that wasn't especially exciting. If DC can throw together a great story, than a weekly book or two could work for them. But they have to put in the effort.

Messi

Marvel was triple-shipping ASM at one point. And as a person who had it on their pull at the time, I thought it was a bit much. But that could be due to a story that wasn't especially exciting. If DC can throw together a great story, than a weekly book or two could work for them. But they have to put in the effort.

I feel like Eternal is set up to be great. It's got some great talent on it and has started well.

That's dope that you enjoy that many DC books--I just think there's an overall feeling of laziness, complacency, almost a feeling of malaise that I get from DC right now.

And as someone who loves to argue, it's hard to do so with those sort of generic complaints. I mean how do you do it? It's probably the most aggravating part of it all. It's just some fundamental disconnect that I have because I honestly still enjoy them and where someone sees "lazy" I see "great". I've read old DC. I read new DC. I don't really see a difference between the two. I love it all.

Anyways, sorry for rollin' my sleeves up on you. Off to bed for me. I'll fight more later. I'm sure Messi'll be around.

What made me try Marvel was after I flipped the last page of Forever Evil Argus. I couldn't believe I spent 6 months of waiting for its conclusion only to be really let down. There was no point to it, added nothing, and in retrospect, was really corny. I thought I would rather spend my time and money on a good book where you can tell the creator cares for the story being told.

I feel like Eternal is set up to be great. It's got some great talent on it and has started well.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I really like the book so far. But if they want people to pay $2.99/wk for the forseeable future, they need to keep up this pacing, and keep us interested.

Messi

And as someone who loves to argue, it's hard to do so with those sort of generic complaints. I mean how do you do it? It's probably the most aggravating part of it all. It's just some fundamental disconnect that I have because I honestly still enjoy them and where someone sees "lazy" I see "great". I've read old DC. I read new DC. I don't really see a difference between the two. I love it all.

Anyways, sorry for rollin' my sleeves up on you. Off to bed for me. I'll fight more later. I'm sure Messi'll be around.

Oh I'm here, fisticuffs are in the air.

Honest question: What books do you pull from DC, and why?

Because outside Aaron Kuder drawing Superman, Batman '66, and Multiversity, I find nothing interesting about their current line-up of titles whatsoever. I look at their solicitations and this giant cloud of apathy swells over my head.

I'm interested in that new Supreme stuff so i looked up the older stuff and tbh i'm really disappointed to learn that both the Liefeld and Moore stuff never really got collected

I have spent the last six or so months working my way through literally every Batman comic book, trying to do it in chronological order. I'm up to 1992 now, and this shit has branched out past Batman and Detective Comics into like five ongoing series.

If there's two things I really hate about the mainline comicbook heroes, it's the total lack of canon, and this cross-issue shit. I get that they want/need people to buy all of the issues to make money, but man is it a pain in the ass to keep switching around.

Is everything as bad in this regard as Batman? Comic books are my one weak chain in my armor of nerdom because of how unapproachable the long-running stuff is.

I also really liked A Serious House on Serious Earth.

I have spent the last six or so months working my way through literally every Batman comic book, trying to do it in chronological order. I'm up to 1992 now, and this shit has branched out past Batman and Detective Comics into like five ongoing series.

If there's two things I really hate about the mainline comicbook heroes, it's the total lack of canon, and this cross-issue shit. I get that they want/need people to buy all of the issues to make money, but man is it a pain in the ass to keep switching around.

Is everything as bad in this regard as Batman? Comic books are my one weak chain in my armor of nerdom because of how unapproachable the long-running stuff is.

I also really liked A Serious House on Serious Earth.

Every Batman comic since 1938?

It got that bad with several comics in the early 90s. Pretty much Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, and the X-Men all went into that crossing over stuff for a long time. It is especially annoying if you are trying to do something like collect all the issues of Action Comics, because it leave a giant ten year gap where none of the other comics make sense unless you buy all the others.

Batman isn't actually as bad as Superman or Spider-Man. Batman goes back to all of the comics being separate by like 94-95 (after Knightfall). Superman was that way for like 15 years.

my impression is that the 90s were a crazy time for crossovers. Spider-Man probably had a lot, too.

Also maybe you're weak on them because you're trying to read EVERY SINGLE BOOK THAT CAME OUT. why you doing that to yourself, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom