• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I have a feeling that you would pester her until she committed suicide. Then Selina could get the writer she deserves! XD

Fuck no. Id be nice to her. I'm sure her work doesn't represent what kind of person she is or else she would be a really shitty person.

Dear DC.

Turn every animated short you have ever done into a show. I'm serious. All of them. I'll buy whatever stupid kids merchandise you require for this to happen.

Owzers

Iron Fist #1 didn't really get me on board, it felt too purposely dark without being interesting enough to make that something that services the title like i thought Spider Man Reign accomplished.

Dear DC.

Turn every animated short you have ever done into a show. I'm serious. All of them. I'll buy whatever stupid kids merchandise you require for this to happen.

OMG, especially those Wonder Woman shorts from a little while back.

Iron Fist #1 didn't really get me on board, it felt too purposely dark without being interesting enough to make that something that services the title like i thought Spider Man Reign accomplished.

Dude, it was one issue. And it was all set-up. Once he gets to K'un L'un, shit is going down.

frye

The big problem with Iron Fist is the same problem that Reign had: it's just not as good as the stuff it's imitating.

Owzers

OMG, especially those Wonder Woman shorts from a little while back.

Dude, it was one issue. And it was all set-up. Once he gets to K'un L'un, shit is going down.

i didn't like the set-up though Xp. I tend to give every book 2 issues since by the time i get the first issue i've already pre-ordered the second. I'm only sold on Secret Avengers so far out of all the new books i've tried. She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and Moon Knight are close, then Iron Fist. Inhuman #1 was the worst so far and most likely dropped. Time to read Silver Surfer #1!

in an effort to buy less books monthly, i'm judging #1s a bit harsher than usual, and there is always Marvel Unlimited and trades if i regret things or skip something.

They dropped the ball by not doing SBFF. Though at least we got the figs. I will cherish them.

Dear DC.

I would have sworn that was going to be the case after Teen Titans Go. I kept thinking we would hear about a SBFF show after the figures popped up.

Vibranium

Banned

Dunno about it too, I'll have to see. I think I may have to wait until a trade for IF, it will probably benefit me more.

Dear DC.

Yes please
shanghai-catwoman2.jpg

especially SBFF, Batman of Shanghai, Lois Lane.
Bring Beyond back while they are at it.

Vibranium

Banned
I just realized that Velvet isn't nominated for a single Eisner. Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting were completely ignored. What the hell is this shit??? These guys are pouring their heart and soul into a fantastic espionage book, yet apparently the industry doesn't care. They were just recognized for The Winter Soldier run with the movie, yet that wasn't enough exposure?

No offense to any other entries, but that is a complete joke. Did Bru piss someone off? It never seemed to me like there was any bad feelings. Ed is wisely being gracious about the whole thing though, he's friends with all the Image creators nominated.

Owzers

Why was Iron Fist 1 so grimdark anyways? I don't remember the series before trying to be so edgy iirc.

I presume because it's by Andrews who did Spider Man Reign maybe? It's weird that i'm gravitating so heavily towards whimsy lately, but gloomy books are bummers. Lazarus...

Splatt

Why was Iron Fist 1 so grimdark anyways? I don't remember the series before trying to be so edgy iirc.

Andrews said in an interview that he thought Aja/Brubaker version of Iron Fist was boring so he's going to mostly ignore it and introduce some angst and grimdark stuff.

Owzers

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a year of Marvel Unlimited.....

What are the pros and cons of the service?

Right now it doesn't work too well on android devices, updates are sometimes too sparse at around 15 new issues a week ( current series are on a 6 month delay to get on Unlimited). If you have an ipad i recommend it though since there are tons of great books to read.

Right now it doesn't work too well on android devices, updates are sometimes too sparse at around 15 new issues a week ( current series are on a 6 month delay to get on Unlimited). If you have an ipad i recommend it though since there are tons of great books to read.

I saw the Android issues but I was going to use my laptop for now anyway, and I guess I don't care about newer comics right now, I want to read some of the older runs

Whoa, I read the first issue of annihilation and wow

KidDork

I just realized that Velvet isn't nominated for a single Eisner. Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting were completely ignored. What the hell is this shit??? These guys are pouring their heart and soul into a fantastic espionage book, yet apparently the industry doesn't care. They were just recognized for The Winter Soldier run with the movie, yet that wasn't enough exposure?

Well, we know it's great. It reminds me of the last remake of Tinker, Tailor with its strong Seventies feel. And Velvet is simply glorious.

I just realized that Velvet isn't nominated for a single Eisner. Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting were completely ignored. What the hell is this shit??? These guys are pouring their heart and soul into a fantastic espionage book, yet apparently the industry doesn't care.

You're talking about an industry where people like Ann Nocenti can find work. I'm really not surprised.

Owzers

Walking Dead 124 and mainly 125: After 125's end, it's the first time in awhile where i thought i could probably drop this and move on. The arc just feels flat.

Silver Surfer #1: good, not great, i liked the end.

Owzers

Never!

:O

I think you're being unnecessarily hard on comics now in an effort to save money.

Hey that was a fairly positive impression! I ordered it mainly because of Allred, i'm not really a fan of Slott's Superior Spidey writing or the premise of a galaxy hopping adventure, practically the same premise of Fractions Fantastic Four but with time travel that i didn't like at all. I was surprised i liked the book, the few pages Slott used to set up the girl were effectively done and i liked the end, didn't really like the Surfer stuff though.

tough but fair Xp

Unai

Guys, I want recommendations for good or important Green Lantern books pre-rebirth. I have preference for trade paperbacks, but if I can only find them on comixology that is ok too.

I was thinking about things like the death of Hal Jordan, the first appearance of Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner, etc.

So what do you guys say?

sillymonkey's opinion of Silver Surfer pretty much reflects mine as well

I picked up a bunch of books at Wondercon:

Five Weapons #5 (now i can finally continue reading it)
Bucko HC
Day Men #1
Tomb Raider #1
Juice Squeezers #1
Adventure Time: Sugary Shorts Vol. 1
Archer and Armstrong Vol. 1 & 2 TP
The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank
Zero Vol 1
Sex Criminals Vol. 1
Uncanny X-Force: Vol 2 Deathlok Nation
Harbinger Deluxe HC Vol. 1

huh, i didn't realize i bought so many damn books until i typed that out. I don't think i bought any for cover price, either. big reason why i both love and hate cons at the same time!

Whew, read my Fear Agent Vol 2 off and on today and made it through the first 2 story arcs, Hatchet Job and I Against I. What a trip so far! Remender is a master of unravelling a story and making you think your losing the story only to bring it tightly back together. One arc to go and have no clue how it's going to end.

Gamestop will be "selling" special editions of the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man #1 via their Power Up Rewards program. It's an alternate cover with a little "Gamestop Exclusive" stamp on the cover. They did the same thing with a Brian Wood Star Wars #1 some time ago... Print run of 6,000. It costs 6,000 points on their Power-Up Rewards store. It's up for pre-order now.

Gamestop will be "selling" special editions of the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man #1 via their Power Up Rewards program. It's an alternate cover with a little "Gamestop Exclusive" stamp on the cover. They did the same thing with a Brian Wood Star Wars #1 some time ago... Print run of 6,000. It costs 6,000 points on their Power-Up Rewards store. It's up for pre-order now.

Cool, preordered it. Had a little over 9000 points on my card.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I picked up a bunch of books at Wondercon:

I was working at the Doubletree just down the street on Friday and today. We rarely go outside San Diego County. There was a huge job in Dana Point two weeks ago, though.
No time to go inside. :(

Nudull

Banned

Cover is eh, IMO. Gamestop points are always so expensive. :/

I was working at the Doubletree just down the street on Friday and today. We rarely go outside San Diego County. There was a huge job in Dana Point two weeks ago, though.
No time to go inside. :(
damn, that sucks. It's a good con, though the guest list was weirdly like 50% as good as last year, if that. that wasn't great. At the same time it felt a bit bigger than last year and it's clearly growing in popularity in Anaheim (not SDCC levels, but as a mini-SDCC, it's getting there)

but yeah it was a p. sweet show. met some creators i really like (Bryan Q. Miller, Joshua Dysart, Scott Koblish, Tommy Wiseau, Noelle Stevenson, Dean White, etc etc) which is always a fun time. could use some real sleep now though

Sweeet..I just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom