• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK, so if there WAS a comicsGAF podcast, what would be the USP? IMO, it should be all about nerdfights. It sounds to me like a lot of folks would be down for doing it - perhaps a rotating roster of GAFers chosen specifically because of clashing ideologies get to slug it out on a few contentious topics? So many podcasts are buddy buddy dullsville. I want to call someone a cunt. Or several someones.

OK, so if there WAS a comicsGAF podcast, what would be the USP? IMO, it should be all about nerdfights. It sounds to me like a lot of folks would be down for doing it - perhaps a rotating roster of GAFers chosen specifically because of clashing ideologies get to slug it out on a few contentious topics? So many podcasts are buddy buddy dullsville. I want to call someone a cunt. Or several someones.
it's really too bad TTOB isn't around for this. a Birdie/TTOB 'cast would draw hardcore

Messi

I'm down for calling for calling out some cunts.... Korupt where you at?

Fightcast

Nudull

Banned
I already mentioned it on Twitter, but LETS PUT A PODCAST TOGETHER AFTER ALL!

Seriously guys, I would totally be interested in this, both in listening and in participating. I don't personally have a ton of experience with the clients used and where to upload but I'm sure putting some tech savvy minds together we could figure it out.

Convo would be easy, we could talk about the week's releases, backlogs, tv/movies, etc.

I want in. :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
IMO, my 'Secret Origins' idea for a pod could work well too. Pick a character/team to focus on, pull contributors with something interesting to say from comicsGAF, FIIIIIIGHT

Messi

IMO, my 'Secret Origins' idea for a pod could work well too. Pick a character/team to focus on, pull contributors with something interesting to say from comicsGAF, FIIIIIIGHT

Would that not rude out people who only have a fairly recent grasp of a character? In that case I could only slap people over Harley.

Would that not rude out people who only have a fairly recent grasp of a character? In that case I could only slap people over Harley.

You can always Wikipedia for bullet point one liners.

"Kitty Pryde? Yeah, she was done better 30 years previous as a member of the Legion of Superheroes called Phantom Girl.

Ah yeah, GH trying to convince the other people that The Legion is cool would be a good episode. It'd work because you could pair him up with anyone

Messi

You can always Wikipedia for bullet point one liners.

"Kitty Pryde? Yeah, she was done better 30 years previous as a member of the Legion of Superheroes called Phantom Girl.

Why you gotta hurt me man :/

I don't even know who Legion is. That's how crap he is.

Nudull

Banned
I feel that roundtable talks on new releases/backlogs/etc. would be easier for me. Like Messi said, doing a character/team-themed episodes can be exclusionary, and considering I've only been into comics for about a year now, my knowledge can only go so far without wiki binging.

Why you gotta hurt me man :/

I don't even know who Legion is. That's how crap he is.

Messi, if you didn't live on the Moon, I'd send you the Legion Showcase Presents #1-4 books that I won off eBay some months back for a penny.

Edit: What is this madness? They are coming out with a volume 5?! That's a hell of a delay or a surprising continuation.

Messi

Messi, if you didn't live on the Moon, I'd send you the Legion Showcase Presents #1-4 books that I won off eBay some months back for a penny.

What do you mean, I live in the center of the universe.

Oh and my social anxiety would be incredibly difficult to overcome in the case of a podcast. You also wouldn't get the hateful motherfucker like I am on here most days as I am not that cruel to say those things out loud.

ReiGun

Of course, if the point is for us to argue, we can't ever do a Spider-Man episode. Cause who doesn't love Spider-Man?

Ah yeah, GH trying to convince the other people that The Legion is cool would be a good episode. It'd work because you could pair him up with anyone

Cold as ice.

Oh and my social anxiety would be incredibly difficult to overcome in the case of a podcast. You also wouldn't get the hateful motherfucker like I am on here most days as I am not that cruel to say those things out loud.

Use the Windows Microsoft Mary Text to Talk voice instead of your own.

"Everything you like is a shit. You are a shit.

Cold as ice.

That burn passed completely over my head. God damn, I said got dayum.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

tbh I think that should def be the case. My main problem with the Comic Conspiracy pod is that these guys mean well but don't know much. It's a frustrating listen - getting shit wrong, skipping over important things. You could have invaluable input on the "Why do we buy bad comics?" episode though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I feel that roundtable talks on new releases/backlogs/etc. would be easier for me. Like Messi said, doing a character/team-themed episodes can be exclusionary, and considering I've only been into comics for about a year now, my knowledge can only go so far without wiki binging.

That podcast already exists though, it's called iFanboy Pick of the Week and it's great.

You could have value as an excited newbie vs old jaded fucks like myself. But imo, if I download a podcast I kinda want to hear people who know their shit too.

Of course, if the point is for us to argue, we can't ever do a Spider-Man episode. Cause who doesn't love Spider-Man?

Cold as ice.

I love Spidey but I could rant for at least 10 minutes about how much of a shitty writer Slott is.

Messi

That podcast already exists though, it's called iFanboy Pick of the Week and it's great.

You could have value as an excited newbie vs old jaded fucks like myself. But imo, if I download a podcast I kinda want to hear people who know their shit too.

I love Spidey but I could rant for at least 10 minutes about how much of a shitty writer Slott is.

I don't wanna be on the Nocenti Catwoman episode. Feelings would get hurt.

I'd love to throw shade at Aquaman and go on about how he's still not cool
tbh I think that should def be the case. My main problem with the Comic Conspiracy pod is that these guys mean well but don't know much. It's a frustrating listen - getting shit wrong, skipping over important things. You could have invaluable input on the "Why do we buy bad comics?" episode though.
That's kinda why i got frustrated with Talking Comics after a few listens based on a few people's recommendations. it's like, out of four people, there's two newbies and an old guy and none of them know what the fuck they're talking about so the one guy in the middle is the guy who has to carry the knowledge, and he ain't doing it. The Comics Conspiracy got tiring bc the main people were just insufferable to listen to and also i think i hate Ryan Higgins?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'd love to throw shade at Aquaman and go on about how he's still not cool

That's kinda why i got frustrated with Talking Comics after a few listens based on a few people's recommendations. it's like, out of four people, there's two newbies and an old guy and none of them know what the fuck they're talking about so the one guy in the middle is the guy who has to carry the knowledge, and he ain't doing it. The Comics Conspiracy got tiring bc the main people were just insufferable to listen to and also i think i hate Ryan Higgins?

I like Higgins on the Geekbox as second in command asshole, but yeah he's not so good as a host imo. That and he constantly has a schmalaky mouth. Drink some water you mouthbreathing twat!

But yeah, 70% of the cast should really know their shit, leaving space for a wide eyed innocent like Messi to ask questions like "Should I read Red Sonya? There are bewbs"

edit: Aquaman isn't cool at all
he's OUTRAGEOUS

Messi

I like Higgins on the Geekbox as second in command asshole, but yeah he's not so good as a host imo. That and he constantly has a schmalaky mouth. Drink some water you mouthbreathing twat!

But yeah, 70% of the cast should really know their shit, leaving space for a wide eyed innocent like Messi to ask questions like "Should I read Red Sonya? There are bewbs"

he's OUTRAGEOUS

Man... Should I read Red Sonja? I hear there may be Boobs.

I hope we get more Sunstone pages soon. I need my Alleycat fix. But I understand Stjepan Šejić is having some family illness problems and that obviously comes first.

Comic Conspiracy is love/hate. I love the retailer perspective. I love the fanboy banter. I sigh a the one guy (Bryce?) whose sole point on the show is to remind people every episode that he loves Marvel more than DC.

Comic Vine is OK. The host, Tony is knowledgeable, which is great. But half the talk is "did you read this? No? No." the stuff they read/cover is also predictable so you know they'll very rarely branch out.

Used to listen to Major Spoilers. Don't know how it is now but near when I stopped it was way too focused on pop culture over comics.

Haven't tried much else.

Nudull

Banned
Podcast-wise, I've listened to 3 Chicks Review Comics (which is fairly enjoyable) and Comics Alliance (which is lovely, like pretty much everything else about CA). Never listened to much else, though I've wanted to try Fatman on Batman.

I didn't even realize CA had a podcast til a few days ago. it was solid but I'd like a good non-skyped podcast

he's OUTRAGEOUS
Oh yeah, i liked him on that. He got annoying to follow on Twitter with various types of shit and also how he'd derail talks about race in comics with "I GUESS ONLY WHITE MEN CAN DIE HUH" shit, so my opinion is a bit colored

and I'll cede on that Aquaman point
Comic Conspiracy is love/hate. I love the retailer perspective. I love the fanboy banter. I sigh a the one guy (Bryce?) whose sole point on the show is to remind people every episode that he loves Marvel more than DC.

Comic Vine is OK. The host, Tony is knowledgeable, which is great. But half the talk is "did you read this? No? No." the stuff they read/cover is also predictable so you know they'll very rarely branch out.

Used to listen to Major Spoilers. Don't know how it is now but near when I stopped it was way too focused on pop culture over comics.

Haven't tried much else.
CV is just so dulllllllllllll. It's got a consistent format and doesn't sound like shit but man, motherfuckers need to get excited. I dug IGN Assemble for a bit because they were kinda fun despite it being a skypecast. No idea if those guys' new one is any good though

Forgot CC got a Marvel guy on. It was getting tiring listening to 4 dudes who could only talk DC but i dropped it before they got him on.

Forgot CC got a Marvel guy on. It was getting tiring listening to 4 dudes who could only talk DC but i dropped it before they got him on.

They have two hardcore Marvel guys. Bryce and Omar, I believe.

And IGN Assemble got pretty bad near the end when you could tell Joey Esposito was going indie.

Nudull

Banned
I find it odd that I talk way more dc here than Marvel but I pull way more Marvel.

I always wind up talking about DC's post reboot screw-ups whenever I talk comics. It'd be good for me to talk about some positive DC-related stuff, for a change.

They have two hardcore Marvel guys. Bryce and Omar, I believe.

And IGN Assemble got pretty bad near the end when you could tell Joey Esposito was going indie.
Didn't know Omar was also one of them. He was fun.

I missed that era Assemble. I missed the Ben Bailey era entirely, as it coincidentally happened during my short comics hiatus. he seems chill though

I always wind up talking about DC's post reboot screw-ups whenever I talk comics. It'd be good for me to talk about some positive DC-related stuff, for a change.

Whenever I want to indulge in comics related masochism I head over to the Outhousers "Days Since DC Fucked Up" counter. Those guys will reset it for literally anything. Was pretty legit back when all the editorial shit was happening but lately they'll do it for something as simple as a coloring error in a book.

Whenever I want to indulge in comics related masochism I head over to the Outhousers "Days Since DC Fucked Up" counter. Those guys will reset it for literally anything. Was pretty legit back when all the editorial shit was happening but lately they'll do it for something as simple as a coloring error in a book.
I find a lot to dislike about DC but yeahhhhh that counter got pretty dumb. Like, the most recent one is how they announced the Future's End solicits without the creative teams. The solicits they put out in advance. really reaching there, outhousers

Nudull

Banned
I find a lot to dislike about DC but yeahhhhh that counter got pretty dumb. Like, the most recent one is how they announced the Future's End solicits without the creative teams. The solicits they put out in advance. really reaching there, outhousers

I'm more surprised that that was the one that reset the counter instead of the Teen Titans cover controversy and all the fanboys going apeshit. Unless they already covered that, before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom