• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't sweat it brah, we have GrandHarrier as well. The DC defense force is strong
er than it has any right to be
on GAF.

-Ttt- This isn't even my final form.

I'm more surprised that that was the one that reset the counter instead of the Teen Titans cover controversy and all the fanboys going apeshit. Unless they already covered that, before.

Everything about that was fucking stupid. The original article. The backlash.

Hours it seems. But I got work in 3 hours ill kill some time and hope.

Talk to the store guy about Ann Nocenti. Report back their comments.

I find a lot to dislike about DC but yeahhhhh that counter got pretty dumb. Like, the most recent one is how they announced the Future's End solicits without the creative teams. The solicits they put out in advance. really reaching there, outhousers

Haha, yeah. Especially since the early release is so they avoid the problem of the last September event clusterfuck.

Man, that site is so terrible and yet I still give them clicks (if adBlocked).

I'd like to be a DC voice as well, I read just as much of their line as GrandHarrier. I just don't have the undying love of The Legion the way he does.

I'd like to be a DC voice as well, I read just as much of their line as GrandHarrier. I just don't have the undying love of The Legion the way he does.

We all have something in our comic lives that we love unconditionally bro.

I got to play a Legion team in Heroclix last week after a year long hiatus from the game. I had a big, dumb, goofy grin the whole time. I crushed everyone and won the tournament with the best record (3-0, 1150ish points out of 1200 possible, only giving up 75 points total the between all three games).

It felt sogood.gif

ReiGun

Don't sweat it brah, we have GrandHarrier as well. The DC defense force is strong
er than it has any right to be
on GAF.

I don't know if I'm ready to wave the Defense Force flag yet, cause man do they do some dumb shit. But every now and then, someone gotta chime in and say "Green Arrow is a cool book tho, amirite?" And if not me, then who?

Hell, my DC talk would likely start with a rant on how they let Lobdell stay on Teen Titans for 30 issues completely undeterred. Cause....fuck.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think anyone setting themselves up as a 'company defender' is asking for someone who can argue well to (rhetorically) rip them in half. It's an incredibly unstable position to argue from. Foundations of sand. It's like trying to argue with a religious person.

Messi

Now comics are coming in tomorrow. :( fuck. I don't wanna make this trip twice in one week. Might wait and hope they don't sell out before next week.

I think anyone setting themselves up as a 'company defender' is asking for someone who can argue well to (rhetorically) rip them in half. It's an incredibly unstable position to argue from. Foundations of sand. It's like trying to argue with a religious person.

The same can be said of anyone arguing how terrible something is just because it comes from Company Y.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The same can be said of anyone arguing how terrible something is just because it comes from Company Y.

Strawman. You are building one.

In fact, your sentence there is still doing the 'Company Champion' thing from a different angle. Now you're assuming that others hate Company Y because of their inherent Company Y-ness which is simply not the case. A multimillion dollar corporate entity does not need you White Knighting for it.

Unless that company is Zenoscope, in which case yes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I could do that. Then I'd have to openly admit to wanting Catwoman to a store employee. They might judge me... Like you fuckers.

I used to know a fella who unashamedly had Elf books on his pull list. Comics store owners are like doctors or drug dealers - they don't judge.

I could do that. Then I'd have to openly admit to wanting Catwoman to a store employee. They might judge me... Like you fuckers.

I can see it now. Every week Messi puts Catwoman somewhere in the middle of the comic stack hoping they don't see it, and if they do, make up some excuse. "Oh shit I didn't want that trash...! But, uh, it's more effort to put it back so I guess I'll just get it."

Messi

I can see it now. Every week Messi puts Catwoman somewhere in the middle of the comic stack hoping they don't see it, and if they do, make up some excuse. "Oh shit I didn't want that trash...! But, uh, it's more effort to put it back so I guess I'll just get it."

I totally put it in the middle of my books. Harley on top tho... Gotta generate some conversation with that move.

My biggest complaint is people who a shit talk aspects of books they don't even pull or haven't pulled in months. Most of the shit talk would disappear in an instant. I mean, how do you argue with someone who says something like the Flash is shit but hasn't pulled it in a year+? Their opinion is valid up until they stopped pulling it. After that it's just baseless.

It's why I don't shit talk stuff outside of art previews for books I don't pull.

I totally put it in the middle of my books. Harley on top tho... Gotta generate some conversation with that move.

Hmm. I dunno. I don't really like Connors Harley. She does the best Power Girl but her style just clashes with Harley. I like the interior artist waaaaay more.

Strawman. You are building one.

In fact, your sentence there is still doing the 'Company Champion' thing from a different angle. Now you're assuming that others hate Company Y because of their inherent Company Y-ness which is simply not the case. A multimillion dollar corporate entity does not need you White Knighting for it.

Unless that company is Zenoscope, in which case yes.

Bullshit. There are plenty of examples from Comics Gaf and all across the comic world of people saying shit like "It's Marvel/DC/Image/IDW it sucks."

Don't even fucking pretend that's not the case. Don't even fucking try.

Edit*

I'm not even trying to defend any one company here. All I'm saying is that the people who state everything from one company is shit, is just as bad as the people who blindly defend that company. I don't see how that's a strawman anything.

Messi

My biggest complaint is people who a shit talk aspects of books they don't even pull or haven't pulled in months. Most of the shit talk would disappear in an instant. I mean, how do you argue with someone who says something like the Flash is shit but hasn't pulled it in a year+? Their opinion is valid up until they stopped pulling it. After that it's just baseless.

It's why I don't shit talk stuff outside of art previews for books I don't pull.

Hmm. I dunno. I don't really like Connors Harley. She does the best Power Girl but her style just clashes with Harley. I like the interior artist waaaaay more.

Yeah I have no issues with Chad Hardin at all. He does a great Harley Quinn. His faces especially.

tim1138

I used to know a fella who unashamedly had Elf books on his pull list. Comics store owners are like doctors or drug dealers - they don't judge.

Speaking of Elf books, if we do this podcast we need Guileless(?) on it talking about his Zenescope pulls. That'd be a nice change of pace from nerd fights.

The clerks at my shop are such amazingly jaded, bitter people. I kind of enjoy it. I don't go in often but when I do I get to bask in it. One of the them is a total Marvel fangirl. One is a Image hipster. One hates all comics I think? Me and my roommate share a box and I think we're one of the biggest? Around a 100-110 titles between us.

Made the mistake of voicing my dislike the concept of Miles Spiderman, while the Marvel clerk was there. That was fun.

Nudull

Banned
The clerks at my shop are such amazingly jaded, bitter people. I kind of enjoy it. I don't go in often but when I do I get to bask in it. One of the them is a total Marvel fangirl. One is a Image hipster. One hates all comics I think? Me and my roommate share a box and I think we're one of the biggest? Around a 100-110 titles between us.

Made the mistake of voicing my dislike the concept of Miles Spiderman, while the Marvel clerk was there. That was fun.

Ha. My shop has a new clerk running the store, and she's been super-fun to talk to. She's more than a bit of a Marvel/Image fangirl, though.

Messi

You must be super racist. Not cool.

Ha. My shop has a new clerk running the store, and she's been super-fun to talk to. She's more than a bit of a Marvel/Image fangirl, though.

I tended to run into the "hates all comics" guy most of the time. Lately it's the Image guy. He pushed Deadly Class on me hard. He's gonna hear about that.

You must be super racist. Not cool.

Look I'm just saying if you're from Daxam, you shouldn't pollute the gene pool with a Talokian. Find yourself a nice Daxam girl. Is that so wrong?

Nah it was centered around the fact that I didn't feel he had earned it as a legacy character.

tim1138

So I started reading Nowhere Men volume 1 last night, and it's ok I guess. I'm about halfway through and it reads like the Four from Planetary in a crappy version of the Manhattan Projects. I'm not too upset since I only paid $5 for it, but I won't continue the series if/when it comes back.

If you like this but don't read MP, I'll just assume you have bad taste. :D

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, so are we doing this podcast? Can we at least get a list of people who want to be in it/do it?

Also, Zero is out today and I've got some free time again to read comics again. Fucks yeah.

Hagi

So I started reading Nowhere Men volume 1 last night, and it's ok I guess. I'm about halfway through and it reads like the Four from Planetary in a crappy version of the Manhattan Projects. I'm not too upset since I only paid $5 for it, but I won't continue the series if/when it comes back.

I picked it up because the awesome cover but meh I didn't really care for it. Reads like a indie version of Fringe.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bullshit. There are plenty of examples from Comics Gaf and all across the comic world of people saying shit like "It's Marvel/DC/Image/IDW it sucks."

Don't even fucking pretend that's not the case. Don't even fucking try.

Edit*

I'm not even trying to defend any one company here. All I'm saying is that the people who state everything from one company is shit, is just as bad as the people who blindly defend that company. I don't see how that's a strawman anything.

Keep on stuffing that Strawmane. Who says that ALL books from any publisher are shit? Seriously? I can't think of anyone in ComicsGAF who doesn't pull at least one book from most publishers.

Having a defensive position as default is unhelpful.

Nudull

Banned

I keep hearing about Nowhere Men, but I don't really care that much for it. Manhattan Projects, on the other hand, I still need to get on.

Hagi

I read the first issue of MP ( i think it's free?) i just haven't got round to picking it up. I'm always hesitant with Hickman the only thing he's done that i've really enjoyed is Secret Warriors.

Keep on stuffing that Strawmane. Who says that ALL books from any publisher are shit? Seriously? I can't think of anyone in ComicsGAF who doesn't pull at least one book from most publishers.

Having a defensive position as default is unhelpful.

We must be having a discussion across the multiverse. Because in the world I live in people say shit like that all the time across multiple industries.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We must be having a discussion across the multiverse. Because in the world I live in people say shit like that all the time across multiple industries.

"People" say this, "people" say that. Oh OK, good discussion, carry on. Rigorous.

I think in general you can discuss editorial/artistic direction and the overall vibe of a company, but saying every book is poop is overboard. Just as every book cannot be good, every book cannot be awful. Unless Zenoscope.

Does reading Image comics make you a hipster? Because that is damn near all I read anymore. I do like Marvel and DC though, so there is that.

"People" say this, "people" say that. Oh OK, good discussion, carry on. Rigorous.

I think in general you can discuss editorial/artistic direction and the overall vibe of a company, but saying every book is poop is overboard. Just as every book cannot be good, every book cannot be awful. Unless Zenoscope.

That's all I said too, and that the people who do that are just as annoying as the people who defend every action of a company. Hey, got to argue though right?

Does reading Image comics make you a hipster? Because that is damn near all I read anymore. I do like Marvel and DC though, so there is that.

Haha. No. Its more poking fun at a certain subset of older comic readers who've got jaded on Superheroes and went indie darling. They tend to be very vocal in their support of Image/Indie and derisive at Superheroes.

I don't know if my shit would work on a podcast.

Podcast would be shit without you.
Rich is saying marvel l will announce a Storm ongoing by Pak and Victor Ibanez. At C2E2

The splatter shit at the wall and see what sticks method is continuing eh?

I'll promise-on-penalty-of-ban to buy a Dazzler solo ongoing if one gets announced.

You should have your LCS put together a Zenescope sampler for you.

Get a bunch of Grimm Fairy Tales books, wear a blindfold, shuffle and pick one! :D

Come on, surely one of them has the deepest and most enticing cleavage. Work with me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom