• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Rucka dropping some truth bombs. He must have been bottling that shit up because no way just a stupid t-shirt caused that.

#RUCKAPOCALYPSE2014

Sterling Gates went off on someone on Twitter about that same shirt today. It's nice to see creators stand up against that stupid shit.

ReAxion

I skimmed the shit out of this. What shirt is he talking about?

gtY5gSC.jpg

Hagi

I'd read that book

Super secret serial agent Dick gets sent to kill Red Robin by mysterious benefactor only to find out three issues later that this was masterminded by none other than Damien Wayne back from the dead. Book is then renamed Grayson and Wayne! and features the hair raising international adventures of the worlds greatest spies.

Forever Evil seems like it has been going on forever. The metal men issues have been good, but it could have been a much short event and not lost much.

Messi

Super secret serial agent Messi gets sent to kill Tim1138 by mysterious benefactor only to find out three issues later that this was masterminded by none other than Cheska back from the dead. Book is then renamed Messi and Cheska! and features the hair raising international adventures of the worlds greatest spies.

Messi pls

We would all read my fixed version right?

ReAxion

He likes black fangirls?

LEkXicR.gif

This exclusive attitude that permeates our hobbies is antiquated and quite frankly fucking stupid. Who gives a shit that another gender is playing games or reading comics that you too enjoy. I love that my girlfriend shares my interests.

Gotta keep saying this no matter how impatient we are with the progress of this message.
nice stealth girlfriend brag

ElNarez

Banned
Forever Evil seems like it has been going on forever. The metal men issues have been good, but it could have been a much short event and not lost much.

Yeah seriously let's fucking talk about that because I feel like Johns does not get enough praise for getting the Metal Men so goddamn right. Like, it's the best thing he's done in 2014 in the same way Shazam was his best thing of 2013. Geoff Johns is at his best when he's being completely earnest and not going through the motions of Making A Comic Book Event, and this is him at his most earnest, taking ideas from the Silver Age and treating them with love and the required decorum. If we get this Geoff Johns on Superman, it's gonna be an instant fucking classic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^ Optioned for a movie adaptation, or animated show. Probably the latter, I believe his Peter Panzerfaust is already doing something animated. Same company that's working on doing Chew.

That anonymous dude whining about how hard males have it... ugh.

So that's what Paul Cornell was responding to yesterday when he tweeted "I like fangirls how I like my coffee: strong."

ElNarez

Banned
Also, as better stated by an actual writer of prose fiction, if you're gonna make a shirt singling out people in the way the Coffee one did, just cut to the chase and tattoo "I HATE WOMEN" in big bold letters across your chest, then dig a hole and stay in that hole forever while we enjoy things without you and the people who'd try to stop anyone from enjoying anything while being respectful of others.

Hagi

Only if Nocenti and Liefeld are the creative team.

Ha you just know Nocenti would be writing that.

Also, as better stated by an actual writer of prose fiction, if you're gonna make a shirt singling out people in the way the Coffee one did, just cut to the chase and tattoo "I HATE WOMEN" in big bold letters across your chest, then dig a hole and stay in that hole forever while we enjoy things without you and the people who'd try to stop anyone from enjoying anything while being respectful of others.

"NO MORE WOMEN" would be better then other like minded folk could be all like

tumblr_inline_mmpzl3lILi1qz4rgp.gif

tim1138

applause-gif.gif

Parch

^ Optioned for a movie adaptation, or animated show. Probably the latter, I believe his Peter Panzerfaust is already doing something animated. Same company that's working on doing Chew.
I seem to have had Rat Queens completely fly under my radar. I have no idea what it's about.

So rats? And queens? Would that be the royal type or the cross dressing type?

tim1138

I seem to have had Rat Queens completely fly under my radar. I have no idea what it's about.

So rats? And queens? Would that be the royal type or the cross dressing type?

It's a D&D type book, the Rat Queens are an all female band of adventurers.

cancellation
jCtPMexHjTuBR_e.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
i'm reminded of the Flashpoint minis with those solicits, which isn't a good thing since the only one i really liked was the Batman one.

It really does sound a lot like Flashpoint, with tons of characters becoming bizarro versions of themselves.

The Swamp Thing text sounds way too much like
Geoff Johns creating a ton of other Lantern corps
(spoilered for excessive caution).

Delio

So I'm going to be going to C2E2 this weekend and I wanted some suggestions for comics I should look for. I like X-men, Avengers and Spiderman. So anything like them would be great.

ReiGun

He likes black fangirls? *reads more of the shirt*

That's a dumb shirt, people should be mad at how dumb it is first.

Man if the message of the shirt was that he liked black fangirls, I'd buy two.

They like fan girls....spilled? D:

This exclusive attitude that permeates our hobbies is antiquated and quite frankly fucking stupid. Who gives a shit that another gender is playing games or reading comics that you too enjoy. I love that my girlfriend shares my interests.

I've noticed two patterns among this group:

1. The inability to not take criticizing potential sexism (or racism or homophobia for that matter) in these hobbies personally. So every critique immediately becomes a personal attack.

2. The feeling that asking for the media landscape to be more welcoming means pushing them out and how dare the women who formally rejected them for their nerdiness* decide to come in and start changing shit.

*Note: Even though, more often than not, women "rejected" them because they lacked social skills and had some harmful ideas about women. But that's another conversation for another thread.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
Does anybody know, which comic related Podcasts are worth listening? I am especially interested in those, who not only discuss the newest issue of the comic book, but rather speak abouth the history of the character, famous issues and artists.
I am most interested in podcasts about Batman and Spider-Man, can somebody make a recommendation?

Heroes and Villains sounds like what you are looking for, http://heroesandvillains.libsyn.com/. Basically they take a character and run through their publication history, story arcs etc.

It features guests from others comic podcasts like Comics Conspiracy and Infinite Longbox, two other podcasts I enjoy very much as well.

Messi

So Steven Yeun and Felicia Day are voicing Tony and Amelia in an animated version of Chew. Script by John Layman. Story is on Hollywood reporter. I can see Glenn as Tony. Not sure about Felicia Day though.

Now go get Josh Holloway. He needs to be in this. He is Colby.

Cheska

I already mentioned it on Twitter, but LETS PUT A PODCAST TOGETHER AFTER ALL!

Seriously guys, I would totally be interested in this, both in listening and in participating. I don't personally have a ton of experience with the clients used and where to upload but I'm sure putting some tech savvy minds together we could figure it out.

Convo would be easy, we could talk about the week's releases, backlogs, tv/movies, etc.

So Steven Yeun and Felicia Day are voicing Tony and Amelia in an animated version of Chew. Script by John Layman. Story is on Hollywood reporter. I can see Glenn as Tony. Not sure about Felicia Day though.

Now go get Josh Holloway. He needs to be in this. He is Colby.

That's great news! Although I'm on the fence on Day.
It's incredible how perfect Holloway is for Colby.

I already mentioned it on Twitter, but LETS PUT A PODCAST TOGETHER AFTER ALL!

Seriously guys, I would totally be interested in this, both in listening and in participating. I don't personally have a ton of experience with the clients used and where to upload but I'm sure putting some tech savvy minds together we could figure it out.

Convo would be easy, we could talk about the week's releases, backlogs, tv/movies, etc.

I honestly think this is a good idea. But is the world ready for such a thing?
Yes.

Cheska

I honestly think this is a good idea. But is the world ready for such a thing?
Yes.

ME TOO! We have the perfect combination for this too, think of all of our tastes in here.

We have the DC is awesome crowd, the Web slinging crowd, the IDW transformin' turtles crowd, the I'm too cool for superheroes crowd, the Nocenti followers, etc. We can do this!

ME TOO! We have the perfect combination for this too, think of all of our tastes in here.

We have the DC is awesome crowd, the Web slinging crowd, the IDW transformin' turtles crowd, the I'm too cool for superheroes crowd, the Nocenti followers, etc. We can do this!
The first episode should be a retrospective on Nocenti's career :p

zeeaykay

I received mine today!

Going to wait til the weekend to read but it's a really beautiful hardcover.
Really glad they releases this in hardcover, it deserves it. Maybe this will get it the extra exposure it needs at Barnes and Noble and such. I really do think it's a modern classic, but we'll see what I think now that it's been a few years.

ReiGun

This sounds like a recipe to have a group of people talk and slowly come to hate each other.

So what I'm saying here is "Sign me up!"

Vyer

I'd podcast the hell out of some comics talk.

Yeah seriously let's fucking talk about that because I feel like Johns does not get enough praise for getting the Metal Men so goddamn right. Like, it's the best thing he's done in 2014 in the same way Shazam was his best thing of 2013. Geoff Johns is at his best when he's being completely earnest and not going through the motions of Making A Comic Book Event, and this is him at his most earnest, taking ideas from the Silver Age and treating them with love and the required decorum. If we get this Geoff Johns on Superman, it's gonna be an instant fucking classic.

We got that Johns Superman, back during most of his Action Comics run and Secret Origin. Shit was great.

Also, whoa@ Chew animated news. Chew has been consistently one of the most entertaining books out there; I'm very interested to see how it translates to animation. I'm glad Layman is directly involved.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just burned through Rat Queens: Sass and Sorcery. It was a great intro to a series and I was happy to see each characters' individual traits start to define them so early on. With that said, the MadLib style stick-a-random-dirty-word-here-for-a-laugh schtick was overused, and the fact that every character is written in the same "voice" could become a problem (for me) in the long run. In the end, it was too much fun to be ruined by my nit-picking and I'm looking forward to more! 4 out of 5 Catwomans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom