• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
When you have a great shop, that's one of the best parts of the hobby.

Sadly, my ass is stuck with an overblown Manhattan shop now.

I've always imagined NYC having dozens of shops that cater to the different comic book niches... hell, even here in Sacramento we have at least 8 shops within a 10 mile radius.

EDIT - #ComicGAF on QuakeNet has the infamous Ann Nocenti in the house! ;)

tim1138

I've always imagined NYC having dozens of shops that cater to the different comic book niches... hell, even here in Sacramento we have at least 8 shops within a 10 mile radius.

Same here. Freaking Cincinnati has six I can think off the top of my head within a 15-20 minute drive from downtown.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Same here. Freaking Cincinnati has six I can think off the top of my head within a 15-20 minute drive from downtown.

For the most part, and I could be wrong as I haven't explored every neighborhood entirely, in Manhattan you're just generally stuck with a few Midtown Comics and Forbidden Planet. In my experience, these stores are fucking awful but because I work in Manhattan and live in Brooklyn and want my books on Wednesdays, I'm stuck with them.

There totally are a few smaller places, like St. Marks, but I'm not near them, don't have friends who work near them, or, in the case of the one that happens to be a block away from my job, they just can't get any fucking books in and attempt to shift blame on everything but themselves for running a business fucking poorly.

Having a great shop that feels personal and where the people that work/visit there are personable is fucking awesome.

Elektra was interesting. I think this book was more about presenting style than establishing characterization which I'm sure is too come. Art was amazing throughout.

Mega Man #36 is going to have Phoenix Wright in it

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2014/04/23/teaser-pages-cover-art-for-mega-man-36

ad26434fd4e04cf4e2f328d734b0c17e.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
okay so I have the list of everyone who wants to join. I'm down to do this whenever.

Cheska
Nudull
Filthy Slug
KoruptData
Rafa=FedKilla
Jedeye Sniv
Rrongfield
PsychBat!
Serpentine
Vibranium
Toa TAK
phazedplasma
ReiGun

If I missed anyone just copy and paste this list and add your name to it.

Vyer

I thought Batman Eternal became a lot more interesting with issue 3. I like the setup here.
Cluemaster not gonna win Father of the Year.

okay so I have the list of everyone who wants to join. I'm down to do this whenever.

Cheska
Nudull
Filthy Slug
KoruptData
Rafa=FedKilla
Jedeye Sniv
Rrongfield
PsychBat!
Serpentine
Vibranium
Toa TAK
phazedplasma
ReiGun
Vyer

I'd be down to participate sometime.

ElNarez

Banned
you're gonna have to try a little harder than that to sway us into reading a War Machine book with you

Okay, I can try. So #1 is this really simple political drama stuff, except with Rhodey and his family as the central characters, and it's really well done character work made using the conceit of a guy putting on a power armor with the american flag on it. But in a way similar to Kot's work in Zero, shit is going super wrong, and that's #2. It's 20 pages of shit going wrong in all kinds of way and at all kinds of scales, informed by the political drama of #1 in a way that's really fucking special and not done all that often in comics.

Okay, I can try. So #1 is this really simple political drama stuff, except with Rhodey and his family as the central characters, and it's really well done character work made using the conceit of a guy putting on a power armor with the american flag on it. But in a way similar to Kot's work in Zero, shit is going super wrong, and that's #2. It's 20 pages of shit going wrong in all kinds of way and at all kinds of scales, informed by the political drama of #1 in a way that's really fucking special and not done all that often in comics.
sighhhhhhhhhh

i'll look for them when i go to the shop either today or friday

Daredevil # 2 with the cover of the week. Story within was great as well. Glad I looked past the cartoony art and went with it because now the art has grown on me.

As many as you have, but it depends on the person. Like, when i went to signings with Gerard Way and Scott Snyder, they could only sign 5 items just so the line could keep moving. 5 seems to be the general cap if there is one. But i've seen people bring shortboxes full of books to get signed. Please don't be that guy though.
Awesome. I am not that guy lol. I was hoping like 2 maybe 3 books . Snyder being one big name I want. Awesome I can hope for a couple more now. Thanks for the input !

jordisok

Ok so seems I've been inadvertently using the US comixology site for the last few months and only now it starts telling me I have to use the UK one :S put everything in my cart and its costing me like £2 more what the fuck :\

I miss my cheap(er) comics.

fauxtrot

Banned
If you guys ever do any episodes involving Hellboy/BPRD/etc, I'd love to participate.

Unrelated: Is anyone going to Big Wow Comicfest in San Jose on May 17-18?

ReAxion

Tankhead Custom Tees
So, we've apparently received some bad word on our fan girl shirt, with accusations of sexism being thrown at us from a certain few bloggers...

...who have completely ignored our other variant shirt on display or didn't even bother to ask our take on it.

Apparently it's only sexism if it is insulting to one gender. Woo double standards.

Anyways, the fangirl/fanboy shirts can best be explained like this: fangirls/boys =/= fans. Fans are people who like and genuinely respect a fandom, and it's creators. Fangirls/boys are like those creepy fedora wearing neckbearded bronies, or hetalia fanfiction shippers, who make us all collectively cringe in pain at what they do to the things we love.

No one should ever defend these kinds of people. Seriously, they make the rest of us look bad.

oh and fyi: the ones who bought the shirt design, the fangirl one in particular, half were girls who bought it.

it'd be funny if it weren't so typical in its stupidity. don't worry, it's very easy to never buy their products.

Elektra #1 was pretty solid. Artwork and layouts were gorgeous. I'm also glad I picked up Uncanny Avengers. It's so much better now than the first story arc was.

ElNarez

Banned
it'd be funny if it weren't so typical in its stupidity. don't worry, it's very easy to never buy their products.

That certainly is a satisfying answer, except for some points :

A) Fuck that
B) Fuck you
C) Fuck the idea that somehow fangirls, who only seem to be really loud about a perceived subtext in a work of fiction, if we're gonna go by your description, are in any way equivalent to bronies, who claimed a space created for little girls as their own and then proceeded to loudly and proudly pollute that space with all manners of terrible shit that end up alienating the very people the show was made for in the first place.
D) Fuck your point about the double standard, as if one joke about fanboys was somehow equivalent to the torrents of shit women in this space get every single day from assholes like you acting all high and mighty questioning everything about their passion because they dared to be of a different gender than yours
E) Fuck the idea that because some women may have endorsed it it's okay to ignore the thousands of women that haven't, and that see that fucking piece of shit shirt for what it is, which is a way to tell them "Get out, you don't belong here, you never have and you never will as long as fuckers like me still exist because I'll make sure of it"
F) And finally, fuck you. Again.

Cheska
Nudull
Filthy Slug
KoruptData
Rafa=FedKilla
Jedeye Sniv
Rrongfield
PsychBat!
Serpentine
Vibranium
Toa TAK
phazedplasma
ReiGun
TetraxShards

I'm finished college for the summer on the 14th of May, so any time after that.

EDIT - #ComicGAF on QuakeNet has the infamous Ann Nocenti in the house! ;)

Rent for a commercial store in Manhattan is ridiculous. The only way a comic book store can survive is to be cater to everyone like Midtown or Forbidden Planet (and supplement it with a big online business too).

Owzers

I like ElNarez's posts like i like my coffee.

I understand what the person is saying, but it boils down to " oh no, i'm not talking about you, i'm talking about them"

And i hate them. Them are terrible.

Hagi

Eh this is just as fucking stupid as the T-shirt, which makes sense considering. Who gives a shit about fan boys/girls they can enjoy media however they like.

PsychBat!

Banned
I understood what he meant by "fangirls" the first time I saw the shirt in this thread. I'm a little surprised that no one else did. Just a little though.

Owzers

I understood what he meant by "fangirls" the first time I saw the shirt in this thread. I'm a little surprised that no one else did. Just a little though.

My onlyyyyyyyyyyyyy complaint is that if you were a kid, would you know it wasn't about you? Otherwise it's just a not-so-funny shirt.

If you're not the world's greatest detective now, it's all been a waste, man.

But seriously, what's your favorite run so far? Also, what's the worst issue you've forced yourself through?

Man this thread moves fast.

I'm such a baby when it comes to this; does run apply to ALL of one series, or the run of a certain writer, or is it just synonymous with an arc?

I'm digging Legends of the Dark Knight so far. Like I mentioned pages ago, I really liked A Series House on Serious Earth, The Killing Joke (of course) and The Cult.

I was sadly disappointed by Gotham by Gaslight, and most of the ridiculous fantasy shit in Batman and DC is just awful. Basically all the ultra-campy shit was just a chore to wade through and I'm glad it's mostly over now.

tim1138

Man this thread moves fast.

I'm such a baby when it comes to this; does run apply to ALL of one series, or the run of a certain writer, or is it just synonymous with an arc?

I'm digging Legends of the Dark Knight so far. Like I mentioned pages ago, I really liked A Series House on Serious Earth, The Killing Joke (of course) and The Cult.

I was sadly disappointed by Gotham by Gaslight, and most of the ridiculous fantasy shit in Batman and DC is just awful. Basically all the ultra-campy shit was just a chore to wade through and I'm glad it's mostly over now.

Run refers to all the issues produced by a singular writer. For example Scott Snyder is currently in a 30 issue (and counting) run.

You should have blogged this, it would have been fascinating to read.

ReiGun

I'm on board with JL United. This is a good mix of characters and I like the chemistry they have going on. Plus, Animal Man!

Aquaman 30 convinced me that Mera needs her own book. Or, re-convinced me. Whatever. The fight with Hercules was awesome too.

Now to catch up on all my Marvel stuff. Hey, I'm reading comics again! Woo.

That certainly is a satisfying answer, except for some points :

A) Fuck that
B) Fuck you
C) Fuck the idea that somehow fangirls, who only seem to be really loud about a perceived subtext in a work of fiction, if we're gonna go by your description, are in any way equivalent to bronies, who claimed a space created for little girls as their own and then proceeded to loudly and proudly pollute that space with all manners of terrible shit that end up alienating the very people the show was made for in the first place.
D) Fuck your point about the double standard, as if one joke about fanboys was somehow equivalent to the torrents of shit women in this space get every single day from assholes like you acting all high and mighty questioning everything about their passion because they dared to be of a different gender than yours
E) Fuck the idea that because some women may have endorsed it it's okay to ignore the thousands of women that haven't, and that see that fucking piece of shit shirt for what it is, which is a way to tell them "Get out, you don't belong here, you never have and you never will as long as fuckers like me still exist because I'll make sure of it"
F) And finally, fuck you. Again.
ElNarez tapping into the Rucka Force. Totally agree.

Seriously, someone needs to make a shirt that says "I like my fangirls like I like my coffee...strong, sweet*, and black." I'm standing here, waiting to give you money, whoever you are.

*Does coffee actually get sweet when you put a ton of sugar in it? I don't actually drink the stuff myself, but I tried it once with sugar and it wasn't sweet at all.

Run refers to all the issues produced by a singular writer. For example Scott Snyder is currently in a 30 issue (and counting) run.

You should have blogged this, it would have been fascinating to read.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was thinking about doing Superman next, so I might take you up on that idea for that project...whenever it happens.

It might be even more interesting because I've always loved Batman, and I've always more or less hated Superman, but people constantly claim that there are arcs (<- ha!) that give his character merit.

I did like this image someone posted in a thread a while ago:

Bii

If you guys ever do any episodes involving Hellboy/BPRD/etc, I'd love to participate.

Unrelated: Is anyone going to Big Wow Comicfest in San Jose on May 17-18?

I'm thinking about going since my brother lives in San Jose but that'll mean my San Diego Comic Con budget would be less. :p

Cheska
Nudull
Filthy Slug
KoruptData
Rafa=FedKilla
Jedeye Sniv
Rrongfield
PsychBat!
Serpentine
Vibranium
Toa TAK
phazedplasma
ReiGun
ShinJohnpv

Added my name to the list I'd be down.

Seriously, someone needs to make a shirt that says "I like my fangirls like I like my coffee...strong, sweet*, and black." I'm standing here, waiting to give you money, whoever you are.

*Does coffee actually get sweet when you put a ton of sugar in it? I don't actually drink the stuff myself, but I tried it once with sugar and it wasn't sweet at all.

ya need a lot. creamer/milk/sweetener is also pretty much necessary if you want it to be sweet, i'm not sure that sugar by itself works

kingofrod

As a huge Reds and Bengals fan, I'm always in Cincy catching a game (I'm from Central KY) - what you recommend as the best shop to visit when I'm up there?

Thanks!

tim1138

As a huge Reds and Bengals fan, I'm always in Cincy catching a game (I'm from Central KY) - what you recommend as the best shop to visit when I'm up there?

Thanks!

Coming up from Central KY, I'd recommend Comics 2 Games in Florence or Arcadian Comics in Newport. Arcadian will be the easier of the two to get to, but C2G is a much bigger store.
If you don't mind going north of the city Queen City Comics is solid as well, although I haven't been there in awhile.

PsychBat!

Banned
ya need a lot. creamer/milk/sweetener is also pretty much necessary if you want it to be sweet, i'm not sure that sugar by itself works

Trust me, it works. It works...

So here's the latest list:

Cheska
Nudull
Filthy Slug
KoruptData
Rafa=FedKilla
Jedeye Sniv
Rrongfield
PsychBat!
Serpentine
Vibranium
Toa TAK
phazedplasma
ReiGun
Vyer
TetraxShards
ShinJohnpv

so that's 3 more. Remember to copy and paste and add your name. And you don't have to copy and paste the list I make, you can copy and paste the list with the new person on it as well. Say for instance some guy copy and pasted my list, you don't necessarily have to copy my list, you can copy that guy's list. It's a lot easier to keep it updated.

tim1138

So here's the latest list:

Cheska
Nudull
Filthy Slug
KoruptData
Rafa=FedKilla
Jedeye Sniv
Rrongfield
PsychBat!
Serpentine
Vibranium