• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even more annoying is that apparently this is McNiven's last work for Marvel and he'll be exclusive to that prick Mark Millar's Millaworld stuff according to Bleeding Cool http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04...harles-soule-and-steve-mcniven-for-september/

Well everything Millar shits out is optioned for a film. The casting couch is real brahs.

Speaking of...

Mark Millar’s Superior Heading For The Big Screen, Produced By Matthew Vaughn

The comic book adaptation team over there at Fox are sticking together for a little while longer. THR reports the studio has picked up the rights to adapt Mark Millar’s limited run series Superior for the big screen, and Kick Ass and The Secret Service director Matthew Vaughn will be taking producing duties this time around. He’s not attached as a director, but I bet that could change in the future.

And when I went to look for that, I found this:

Mark Millar’s MPH Optioned For Big Screen Adaptation

At this point, it seems like it would be more newsworthy if one of Mark Millar’s comic books is not picked up for adaptation. But here is another to the list.

THR reports Millar’s MPH, which doesn’t even come out until next month, has been optioned by Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who also produced Transformers and G.I. Joe. And this one isn’t going to Fox – at least not yet. The filmmakers will hire a writer to adapt it before setting it up at a studio.

MILLARW$RLD
MILLARW$RLD

frye

And which Absolute titles do you think shouldn't have been made? I'm reasonably sure I agree with the inclusion of the things I've read.

I think the Geoff Johns Green Lantern stuff they've done doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They should have just gone straight to omnibuses with those considering 99% of the appeal is watching Johns build the world over time. Same with the Grant Morrison Batman stuff. Sandman I think was a bad idea, though I'm sure a lot of people disagree. Identity Crisis is pretty yuck, and so is that Jim Lee Superman comic. I love Dave Gibbons, but his art doesn't particularly benefit from being at that size. Same with David Lloyd on V for Vendetta.

neat

X-Men_Vol_1_96.jpg

300px-Batman_Family_v.1_2.jpg

300px-Superboy_Vol_1_213.jpg

300px-World%27s_Finest_Comics_234.jpg

I pimp this book to everyone I talk to. It's so great.

Little annoyed by the filler issues, but the regular issues have been consistently good so I can tolerate them.

Finished reading through Rat Queens and I really loved it. Definitely gonna order the trade when I can.

Yeah, I'll start doing the same. Bought it on a whim and haven't regretted it one bit. I haven't really caught up with the newer stuff yet but Superior Foes and Hawkeye are pretty good so far.

I haven't purchased any Absolute Editions yet, are any of them a must own?

or are there any upcoming Absolute's that y'all are looking forward too?

They're nice books certainly, but I wouldn't buy any of them unless you're a big fan of that particular story.

I own Absolute Death and Absolute Top Ten. The former, I got on clearance at B&N for $25. Probably going to pull the trigger on Absolute All-Star Superman at some point.

They're nice books certainly, but I wouldn't buy any of them unless you're a big fan of that particular story.

I own Absolute Death and Absolute Top Ten. The former, I got on clearance at B&N for $25. Probably going to pull the trigger on Absolute All-Star Superman at some point.

Watchmen and All Star Superman are must owns.

Similar in size and scope, but different companies, the Umbrella Academy super sized HCs.

I'll be sure to buy All Star Superman as my first absolute. I have it on Digital but that storyline deserves a double dip.

Also yes I would love to own Umbrella Academy HCs, but I'm willing to wait for a new print.

Mumei

I just got Absolute All-Star Superman today, too! It's great, but if I had to recommend just one edition it would be The New Frontier.

I think the Geoff Johns Green Lantern stuff they've done doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They should have just gone straight to omnibuses with those considering 99% of the appeal is watching Johns build the world over time. Same with the Grant Morrison Batman stuff. Sandman I think was a bad idea, though I'm sure a lot of people disagree. Identity Crisis is pretty yuck, and so is that Jim Lee Superman comic. I love Dave Gibbons, but his art doesn't particularly benefit from being at that size. Same with David Lloyd on V for Vendetta.

*waves*

I love my Absolute Sandman editions and you aren't taking them from me with your evil alternate world where they don't exist. :mad:

But speaking of mocking DC, I just received my copy of Volume 5 today and guess what? One of the pages was improperly printed, so it was actually oversized and creased on one corner. If it hadn't been creased I might have been able to shear off the excess, I suppose, but that's not worth even trying in this case.

Needless to say, I'm not happy. I don't even know if Instocktrades will do a return or exchange for it because it wasn't actually damaged in shipping and they seem pretty chintzy on returns judging from their policy on the site.

Anyway, I agree with the others. If I'm remembering correctly, though, there is a first volume of Johns' run on GL coming out soon, yes?

I just got Absolute All-Star Superman today, too! It's great, but if I had to recommend just one edition it would be The New Frontier.

I was kind of leaning towards one of the two when looking through IST but I'll have to hold off on buying those til next month.

The collected editions that I'm really happy with from DC are the Deluxe editions. I've never been a big fan of omnibuses (too big) or tpbs (too delicate), but the deluxe ed are a sweet spot that I enjoy collecting from most publishers.

tim1138

Absolute New Frontier is an absolutely beautiful book, it'd be a great first choice for an Absolute edition.

I downloaded an APK of Marvel Unlimited to my Fire HD and it automatically updated itself to 2.0. Good Lord what a difference! Comics are now full screen and only have to load once and then you can read away. Might be time to subscribe again.

tim1138

Is comixology available in HD for Nexus 7's(mine is the 2012 version) and if so, how do you enable it?

Here's what it says on their support site:

Android devices that can support 720p should be able to support our HD comics, but there are also memory requirements needed as well. Here is a handy dandy list of some popular devices that meet those requirements and support HD comics.

HD DEVICES

Galaxy Note 2+
Samsung S3+
Nexus 10
Nexus 7 2013
HTC One
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HDX 7" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HD 7" (3rd Gen)
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (2nd Gen)
LG G2
Nexus 4

If it supports it, there will be an option in the settings to enable HD downloads.

ReAxion

Oh goddamn the Marvel Unlimited app had guided view now. I'm canceling all my Marvel pulls and subscribing to this now.

It's not quite Guided View, and it's not good for old titles, there's some cut-off here and there. It doesn't have problems with new titles, tho.

MartyStu

Is Marvel still actively trying to ruin Wolverine? I have sort of fallen out of touch with the books he features in since they started.

Yeah, I'll start doing the same. Bought it on a whim and haven't regretted it one bit. I haven't really caught up with the newer stuff yet but Superior Foes and Hawkeye are pretty good so far.
You'd probably like Daredevil by Mark Waid if you liked those two.

I barely read DC these days but I'm really digging Batman Eternal... I gotta catch up on the current Batman run.

Damn you Comixology...you keep making me feel compelled to buy comics I already have in TPB form with the constant sales. I like the convenience of having them all at my fingertips on my iPad.

ugh, decisions decisions on Batgirl Year One, Robin Year One and JLA Year One. I liked them all and have already read them but they call to me....

You'd probably like Daredevil by Mark Waid if you liked those two.

I barely read DC these days but I'm really digging Batman Eternal... I gotta catch up on the current Batman run.

That has been on my radar but I wasn't sure whether I should start with the new run or the one that has ended.

Messi

Damn you Comixology...you keep making me feel compelled to buy comics I already have in TPB form with the constant sales. I like the convenience of having them all at my fingertips on my iPad.

ugh, decisions decisions on Batgirl Year One, Robin Year One and JLA Year One. I liked them all and have already read them but they call to me....

Batgirl Year One is calling me. I've never read it before.

fauxtrot

Banned
The Superior Spider-Man bundle currently on "sale" is kind of an odd one... the first 22 issues are on sale for $.99 each, but the bundle is $69.99 for 34 issues. So basically, you're getting those 22 issues at $.99 each and the other 14 issues at $4.02 each. Shouldn't the bundle knock down a bit on the newer issues too? Seems like kind of a tricksy way of getting someone to assume they're getting an even better deal (since it's a bundle) when they're actually paying full price for those 12 newest issues.

Is this a common thing and I'm just now seeing it?

Parch

Is Marvel still actively trying to ruin Wolverine? I have sort of fallen out of touch with the books he features in since they started.
I haven't read the main title lately so can't speak on that. Wolverine MAX was meh. Pretty much what you'd expect from a Marvel MAX title.
I've read the first two arcs of Savage Wolverine and thought they were really good fun.

Hagi

Absolute New Frontier is an absolutely beautiful book, it'd be a great first choice for an Absolute edition.

I downloaded an APK of Marvel Unlimited to my Fire HD and it automatically updated itself to 2.0. Good Lord what a difference! Comics are now full screen and only have to load once and then you can read away. Might be time to subscribe again.

tumblr_n4lhy3TNra1ssq4tvo1_250.gif

Finally! Now it's not so cumbersome to use i can work my way through Annihilation Conquest and a tonne of other stuff i wanted to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom