• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Comics from March, 1989.

Animal_Man_9.jpg

WW_Vol._2_-_28.jpg

Sandman_3.jpg

Suicide_Squad_Vol_1_25.jpg

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_313.jpg

Daredevil_Vol_1_264.jpg

(This one's for you, Messi!)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just remembered that cover dates and ship dates weren't the same thing. :(

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im wading through Origin 2 and god damn does Adam just not like drawing anymore? It's his loosest work yet and that is saying something.

Toa TAK

Banned
And maybe the one or two before that. Whatever was included in the superior spider man oversized HC vol 1.

Nah, not even. Everything is explained inside the cover and it all speaks for itself. Plus, you've got to spare yourself the horrid Ramos art as much as you can.

Comixology really makes me love digital comics the 99 cent deals and collection sales are excellent. I just recently bought the first volume of Zero, a couple of issues of Superior Spider-man, The first arc of Winter Solider and X-men Age Of Apocalypse Book 1 for under fifteen dollars.

Toa TAK

Banned
LOVE Ramos Spider-Man art. But it's all down to preferences I suppose.

Ugh. But he can't draw faces.

Plus (I can't believe I'm saying this), his SUPERIOR artwork is much better. I mean, I'm reading the last issue of AMAZING, and I'm like "Hey, they got THIS guy to do the finale of Spider-Man's comic? Are we for real?"

Voror

Johns run on Aquaman was really good, he did a great job reinvigorating the character.
Zero is some next level God tier shit, buy it and come along for the ride.

I've been wanting to check it out for a while now since I've always liked the concept and character.

Looking at some other posts now I see it does have quite a good rep thus far and the first trade is pretty cheap so I definitely will check it out.

Don't hesitate, get zero. The one book that I get more excited for every week.

Got the first Hellboy library in the mail, along with Daytripper (already read it) and Spiderman Family Business. I really hope I like Hellboy. And need a Spiderman story to satisfy me after Marvel Knights ended.

I've been meaning to get the earlier ones as all I have is the last Library edition. I'm ashamed to say that for years I thought they were versions of the book literally meant for a library and thus wouldn't suit me as well. I have no idea why, but the library edition I have is wonderful.

Hellboy's a great series to me and the fourth volume was the first comic/trade I ever bought. I've always been more partial to the volumes that are composed of short stories from various points in Hellboy's life, partially due to Mignola's notes regarding them. I remember one involving some giant vampire that had him scouring old books just to find the name of the thing.

Family Business is one of those I mean to check out. I just rather wish it wasn't so expensive given the book is relatively short.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm a little older than most of you, but I had to look anyway and found these:

Jimmy_Olsen_141.jpg

Clark Kent is almost taken to Apokolips by the UFO, which is a trap of Darkseid’s, but is rescued by Lightray and sent back to Earth. Morgan Edge is visited by Don Rickles, but Jimmy Olsen and Goody Rickels appear in his office and are about to combust from the Pyro-Granulate. The Golden Guardian appears, having forced Ugly Mannheim to give him the antidote, and cures Jimmy and Goody, having already cured himself and the Newsboy Legion. Don Rickles, maddened by the happenings, hitches a ride out of Edge’s office with two members of the police bomb squad.

Also, first appearance of Desaad :

Forever_People_v.1_4.jpg

phoenixyz

Wow, looking at the covers from february 1989 makes this one all the more awesome in retrospect:

1411_20121217191408_large.jpg

for example
25988_20060213042952_large.jpg

Superman.... in spaaace!

Mumei

Whoever is in charge of editing the DC Omnibus line is weirdly incompetent, not just in terms of binding (which to be fair, has improved from the days where they would glue the binding to the back of the spine for some reason) but also in how they mis-solicit things and do a poor job of restoring the art. The way they've treated the Absolute line in the last few years as a dumping ground for any old story has been kind of disheartening as well tbh

DC does have some interesting stuff coming up though - they're apparently doing their own versions of IDW's excellent Artist's Editions, with Frank Miller's Ronin and Kelley Jones Batman out this year and Miller's Dark Knight, Neal Adams Green Arrow/Green Lantern, Brian Bolland's Killing Joke, and some undefined Sandman stuff out after that.

If that binding is an improvement over the previous state of affairs, I'm glad I didn't experience those. I've been trying to gently limber up Planetary, and it has gotten better but it's still not what it ought to be.

And which Absolute titles do you think shouldn't have been made? I'm reasonably sure I agree with the inclusion of the things I've read.

Wow, looking at the covers from february 1989 makes this one all the more awesome in retrospect:

1411_20121217191408_large.jpg

for example
25988_20060213042952_large.jpg

Superman.... in spaaace!

I love Sandman's covers, especially when comparing them with other covers in the late eighties and early to mid nineties.

Charles Soule is an editors wet dream. He pumps out all the sterile and corporate stories they pump out. He's just a Mexican comic writer, he does the jobs nobody else is willing to do.

Inhuman is not coming outin July though. Lol

Charles Soule is an editors wet dream. He pumps out all the sterile and corporate stories they pump out. He's just a Mexican comic writer, he does the jobs nobody else is willing to do.

If Superman/Wonder Woman and Red Lanterns are sterile then sign me up because those two books have been consistently amazing since Soule took over.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The only Soule comic I read is She-Hulk and it's fucking great. I think there may just be some Soule fatigue going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom